The non-inclusion of young people in the National
Honours list has been criticised by the Commonwealth Youth Council (CYC).
A statement by the President of CYC, Mr Ahmed Adamu, said young people were disappointed for not making the list of the awardees.
“Young people are disappointed for not being included among the list of Nigerians to be awarded with the national honour. There are thousands of young people who excel in different areas both within and outside Nigeria. Young people make up majority part of the country’s population, and we should not be marginalised,” he said.
“Recognising young people with this kind of award is one of the best ways to encourage and inspire youth who have made it and those who are working hard to succeed respectively.
“We want young people to be active players in politics and governance, and that is why, CYC members are demanding for 30% allocation of elected and appointed political positions. We want young people to be inserted in the list of the recipients of the national honour award.”
More facts have emerged as to why the Chairman of
the Board of Trustees of the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP), Chief Tony Anenih and other top leaders of the party were in Dutse, to see the Jigawa State governor, Sule Lamido.
Leaders of the party, it was learnt, were not fully convinced that Lamido, who was part of the seven governors that formed a splinter group within the party last year and until last week was being peddled as nursing the ambition to contest the presidential ticket of the PDP with Jonathan, had fully reintegrated into the party.
The governor, sources said, was placed top on the list of those the party felt had to be interrogated to find out their grievances with a view to working out ways to fully reabsorb them and ensure their loyalty for the success of the party in 2015.
The PDP it was learnt feels some of its governors might work for the opposition parties if they are not properly managed.
The Managing Director of Kano Electricity Distribu
tion Company (KEDCO), Alhaji Jamilu Gwanna, has read a riot act to its staff, warning that the company will not hesitate to sack any worker, who fails to discharge his duties efficiently.
Gwanna, who warned members of staff that the company would no longer tolerate negligence of duty, during a five- day induction programme for the 360 newly recruited staff and old ones, urged the staff to brace up so as to ensure that customers were satisfied at all times.
His words, “we have competition in terms of other distribution companies; every distribution company is trying to ensure that they are the best. Now, in our area of operation, we are a monopoly here, in terms of our own objective, in our own setting, it is not to have over-populated workforce.
According to him, our cardinal objective is to have a 24-hour power supply to our customers, so, we have to start somewhere and we all know the challenges that we are facing and our main target is to have power generation through increased power supply and this involved huge investment and planning.
A young man suspected to be a cable vandal was elec
trocuted yesterday, while attempting to operate on a transformer in Katsina metropolis.
Our correspondent gathered that the victim was found lying dead beside the transformer situated opposite the Katsina State Arts and Culture Bureau.
A resident of the area said vandals had been removing cables from the transformer and that the people had had to replace the wires on several occasions.
A staff of the bureau, who spoke on condition of anonymity, said his office had repaired the transformer over four times due to activities of vandals.
The corpse of the suspect was taken to the Katsina General Hospital.
A new set of female medical students of the University
of Ilorin yesterday joined the list of beneficiaries of the scholarship scheme instituted by Media Trust Limited, publishers of the Daily Trust, Weekly Trust, Sunday Trust and Aminiya.
The beneficiaries were presented with their cheques at a ceremony held at the College of Health Sciences located at the permanent site of University of Ilorin Teaching Hospital (UITH).
Under the medical scholarship scheme instituted by the company seven years ago, ten female students from three benefitting universities are selected annually and awarded scholarship of N100,000. They are to receive the amount until the completion of their medical training.
Other benefitting universities are the University of Maiduguri and Usmanu Danfodiyo University, Sokoto.
The police authority in Lagos State yesterday reiter
ated its resolve to enforce the Government Traffic Law which outlawed the use of commercial motorcycles on major roads within the metropolis.
The state Commissioner of Police, Cornelius Kayode Aderanti, in a statement said the operation of Okada riders on some roads in the metropolis remained banned.
He called on the leadership of Okada unions in the state to advise their members to respect the laws of the land or face the law.
“It would be recalled that the Lagos State government in 2012 amended its road traffic law which expressly banned and restricted motorcycles from plying some specific routes. However, the police command has observed with total dismay that some Okada riders do not have any iota of respect for the laws of the land, as they have continuously and flagrantly breached this traffic law,” he added.
He said that anyone or group of persons arrested flouting the laws of the state would be prosecuted.
Residents of Ikenne Local Government of Bayelsa State
have been assured that the abandoned Sagamu-Ikenne road dualisation will be completed very soon.
The assurance was given by the Ogun State governor, Senator Ibikunle Amosun, during the continuation of his tour to council areas in the state.
It would be recalled that the road project was started by the immediate past administration in the state.
Governor Amosun promised that his administration would not relent in its effort at providing infrastructure development for the people of the area.
He described the council area as a “federal” local government because it is the local government of the sage, Chief Obafemi Awolowo.
As political parties warm up to present candidates for
various elective positions in the 2015 general elections, the All Progressives Congress (APC), in Oyo State, has vowed to conduct its primaries in such a transparent and democratic manner that would encourage the emergence of only the best among many aspirants, who would not only contest and defeat candidates of other parties but also perform creditably in their respective positions throughout their tenure of office.
Making this assertion in a statement issued by its Director of Publicity and Strategy, Olawale Sadare, APC assured that it would soon begin to issue Expression of Interest forms to members, who nurse ambitions to occupy various political offices in the next political dispensation “as guidelines for the smooth conduct of primaries are almost ready and would be made public any moment from now.
“As a party to beat in any election, APC in Oyo State, is mindful of the expectation of the general public, particularly, as it affects presentation of competent, credible and promising candidates for the available 32 seats in the State House of Assembly, 14 seats in the House of Representatives, three seats in the Senate and the coveted governorship seat. In all of this, we can proudly say that our party has more than enough men and women members, who have the wherewithal to deliver on their respective mandates if entrusted.
A High Court in Ilesha, Osun State, has sentenced a
30-year-old man, Obafemi Kolawole, to life in prison for raping a 19-year-old pregnant woman.
State prosecutor, Rachel Ojimi, told the court that Kolawole attacked the woman in her house, raped her and shaved her pubic hair which he forced into her mouth. Rachel further said Kolawole poured gin into her mouth.
A medical report obtained from the Ladoke Akintola University of Technology Teaching Hospital, Osogbo was presented as evidence against him.
Justice AbdulKareem AbdulKareem found Kolawole guilty and sentenced him to life in prison. He also mandated the prison officials to ensure that he was whipped daily as part of his punishment.
Governor Jonah Jang of Plateau State has expressed
concern over the “silent killings and attacks still taking place in some villages in the state.”
Jang, who spoke when the Catholic Archbishop of Jos, Most Rev. Ignatius Kaigama, led a delegation of religious and community leaders to his office, called on communities affected to expose criminals living among them.
He lamented that the hinterland was still facing security challenges and urged the archbishop and his team to extend their dialogue and reconciliatory meetings to the areas.
“I have been very concerned about the silent killings still going on in the villages; yes we are now enjoying peace in Jos, but the villages are not enjoying peace.
NDLEA Arrests Doctor, Ex-Soldier For Dealing In Drugged Cookies, Cocaine
The operatives of the National Drug Law Enforcement Agency (NDLEA) have arrested a medical doctor, Jane Chioma Ofoma, in Auchi, Edo, for selling drugged cookies and biscuits.
Its Director, Media and Advocacy, Mr Femi Babafemi, said in a statement yesterday in Abuja, that Chioma sold the drugged cookies and biscuits through an online catering service, Omachi’s kitchen.
Babafemi said the arrest followed intelligence and surveillance where narcotic officers of the Edo Command of the agency on Saturday June 19, stormed her operational base at 1 Winners Way, Auchi.
This, he said, led to her arrest and at least 94 pieces of cookies produced with cannabis sativa were recovered from the suspect.
According to him, Chioma, 26, who is a graduate of medicine from the University of Nigeria, Nsukka, recently completed her housemanship at the University of Benin Teaching Hospital.
“She has confessed to baking the cookies with skunk in her statement while under interrogation,” he said.
In the same vein, Babafemi said a 30-year-old Emmanuel Ehiramhen, of No. 10 Egan Street Ekpoma, has been arrested by officers of the Edo Command of the agency for dealing in crack cocaine.
Meanwhile, NDLEA operatives in Kwara have arrested a 52-year-old ex-Soldier, Ibrahim Musa, with 12.167 kilograms of Arizona (cannabis sativa), 4 grams of Cocaine and 25 grams of flunitrazepam.
Babafemi said the suspect was apprehended on Thursday June 17, at Oke-Odo, Tanke area of Ilorin, when he arrived from Lagos to supply his customers.
He said Musa worked in the maintenance department at Abati Army Barracks, Lagos from where he was deployed to 117 Battalion in Chibok, Borno, before he deserted the Army.
He added that the suspect had arrived Ilorin with his wife, Basirat Musa, in his Honda Accord car with registration number JJ 707 BL Lagos with the seized exhibit.
He was, however, arrested at the point of delivery by operatives of the Kwara Command of the agency.
“Under interrogation, Ibrahim revealed that while at Chibok he got the connection of a supplier of Arizona (Cannabis) and other drugs in Lagos who he immediately contacted when he deserted the Army in October 2020.
“He said he decided to go into the illicit drug business to enable him fend for his two wives and three children.
“The suspect revealed that the latest journey was his second trip to Ilorin to deliver the drugs and decided to travel with one of his wives who was not aware of his mission to Ilorin,” he said.
Babafemi quoted the Chairman, NDLEA, retired Brig. Gen. Buba Marwa as commending the Edo and Kwara Commands of the agency for their vigilance and commitment to the goal of ridding Nigeria of the menace of illicit drug trafficking and abuse.
He charged the Commanders, officers and men of the two Commands and their counterparts across the country not to relent in the discharge of their responsibilities.
He assured them of his commitment towards making their welfare a priority.
13 Vehicles Burnt In Tanker Explosion On Lagos-Ibadan Expressway
The Federal Road Safety Corps (FRSC) says six tankers, five trucks and two cars were destroyed in a tanker explosion at Ogere on the Lagos-Ibadan Expressway yesterday.
Earlier, FRSC Sector Commander in Ogun, Mr Ahmed Umar, confirmed the incident to The Tide source, saying that it occurred at about 6.20 a.m.
Umar had said the explosion occurred in front of Romona trailer park on the expressway.
Giving update, he said, “the fire is serious, six tankers, five trucks and two cars are burnt in the explosion.’’
Umar said that one person had so far been rescued and taken to a private hospital in Ogere.
Meanwhile, the Ogun State Traffic Compliance and Enforcement Corps (TRACE), has advised motorists plying the road to use alternative routes.
TRACE spokesman, Mr Babatunde Akinbiyi explained that the tanker which was laden with fuel suddenly burst into flames affecting other vehicles.
“Vehicles moving inbound Lagos should go through Saapade-Ode/Remo-Iperu-Sagamu to relink Lagos-Ibadan Expressway.
“In addition, vehicles moving inbound Ibadan should also go through Sagamu-Iperu-Ode/Remo-Saapade to relink Lagos-Ibadan Expressway,’’ Akinbiyi said.
The incident was the fifth of such tragedies involving fuel tankers in the Lagos and Ogun State axis since the beginning of the year.
A similar fuel tanker-related fire was recorded on Jan. 7 on the Apapa-Oshodi Expressway.
On March 21, a fuel tanker was the cause of fire on Otedola Bridge, also on the Lagos-Ibadan Expressway in which many vehicles were burnt.
On March 25, a diesel-laden tanker went up in flames at the Ikotun area of Lagos, leading to the incineration of other vehicles and shops.
On June 17, fire from the kitchen of a Chinese restaurant at the Ogun State Property Investments Corporation (OPIC) Plaza in Lagos trailed a leaking gas truck which was on motion in the area.
This resulted in a fire snowball which engulfed many other vehicles and property.
Twenty-five cars were destroyed in the OPIC Plaza inferno, while 13 persons, mostly workers in the restaurant, sustained burn injuries.
S’ East Leaders Denounce Secessionist Groups …Seek Protection Of Igbos
Leaders of the South East geo-political zone have urged leaders of other geo-political zones in the country to protect Igbos living in their regions, even as they condemned in totality the activities of violent secessionist groups in the zone and elsewhere.
The lgbo leaders comprising the governors of the five states, members of the National Assembly, Ministers, Speakers of the State Houses of Assembly, the Clergy and Traditional Rulers, made their feelings known on Saturday, in a communique issued when they rose from a closed-door meeting at the Government House, Enugu.
Explaining that they made the request in view of what they described as “threats by some groups against our people”, the South East leaders promised to protect everyone, including Igbos and people from other regions, residing in the zone.
On the impression that South East leaders are silent over agitations for secession by some youths of the region, they stated that “is not correct”, stressing that “South East Governors, Ohaneze President, National Assembly members, notable leaders had come out publicly many times in the past to speak against such agitations”.
Proclaiming firmly that “we do not support them, they do not speak for South East”, the communiqué read by the Governor of Ebonyi State and Chairman of South East Governors’ Forum, Engr. David Umahi, made it clear that the leaders of the zone reiterated their “commitment to one united Nigeria under a platform of justice, equality of rights, fairness, love and respect for one another”.
The communiqué revealed that South East leaders, in order not to mismanage the unfortunate situation, “have set up a committee to engage such youths to stop and allow elders speak to address such fears”.
It added that South East leaders also condemned the killing of security agents, burning of strategic infrastructure and killing of civilians in South East and in other regions, and requested the security agencies to discharge their duties within the rules of engagement and the law
They, however, explained that the meeting was held “for articulation of our positions and further meet with the Presidential team”, sequel to the earlier meeting with the Presidential delegation, led by the Minister of Defence, Retired Maj. Gen. Bashir Magashi, on June 11, 2021.
The communiqué disclosed that the meeting consequently “set up committees under Ohaneze Ndigbo to articulate and address our positions on all burning issues to further meet among ourselves and thereafter meet with the Presidential team”.
On the safety of the Igbo indigenes in other parts of the country and the newly established regional security outfit, the communiqué added that the “meeting directed our Governors and Ohaneze Ndigbo to liaise with indigenes from the northern part of Nigeria and indigenes of other regions to assure the nation, Nigeria, and their people of their safety in South East.
“The meeting endorsed our South East joint security outfit – Ebubeagu and asked them to work with security agencies and to respect the rights and privileges of all those living in the South East and our visitors”.
By: Canice Amadi, Enugu
- Sports2 days ago
Okagbare Sets New Record At Olympic Trials
- Featured2 days ago
APC’s Ploy To Ban, Regulate Social Media, Hypocritical, Wike Affirms
- Oil & Energy2 days ago
Buhari Thumbs Up For NLNG As NNPC Reviews Activities
- Politics13 hours ago
APC: C’River LP Disowns Decampees
- Oil & Energy2 days ago
Total Nigeria Advocates Petroleum Subsidy Removal
- Sports2 days ago
Hooliganism Won’t Be Tolerated At Match Venues – NFF
- Sports2 days ago
Dettol Becomes Official Hygiene Partner Of S’Eagles
- Politics2 days ago
Okorocha Cautions Igbos On Secession