The Bauchi State Police Command has arrested a
banker and four others for alleged forgery and stealing a vehicle belonging to the Zamfara State government.
The state’s Police Public Relations Officer, Haruna Mohammed, said one of the suspects, Dahiru Aminu, was arrested with a white Toyota Hilux, belonging to the Zamfara State Ministry of Water Resources.
He said preliminary investigation showed that the suspect stole the vehicle from the compound of one Abdullahi Auta of Rijiyar Gabas,Tudun Wada ward in Zamfara State.
“They conspired with One Kawule Ahmed, a painter at Magaji Quarters in Bauchi and painted part of the vehicle. They also conspired with Ibrahim Adamu Aliyu of the Bauchi State Board of Internal Revenue to forge particulars for the vehicle,” he said. The police spokesman said investi-gation led to the arrest of two principal suspects, one Mohammed Zayyanu and Aminu Wada, who is a staff of a commercial bank in Gusau.
The Benue State House of Assembly has directed its
Committee on Commerce and Industry, to investigate the condition of the Makurdi Modern Market and submit its report within two weeks.
The directive followed a motion moved by Mr Joshua Ogbole, representing Adoka/Ugboju Constituency , urging the state government to rehabilitate the market.
Ogbole said that about 350 stalls in the market had been burnt down within the past 10 years.
He further said that the drainage channels in the market had been blocked, thereby leading to flooding of some parts of the market. The motion was seconded by Dr Adoga Onah, representing Oju I Constituency, stating that the motion was apt and timely.
The Independent National Electoral Commission
(INEC), has advised members of the public to utilise its citizen contact centre to obtain relevant information about electoral process. INEC Director of Voter Education and Publicity, Mr Oluwole Osaze-Uzi, gave the advice in an interview with newsmen in Abuja, last Thursday.
“INEC Citizen Contact Centre is a facility allowing the general public constant access to the commission with enquiries and exchange of information.
“As a situation room, the centre offers the public opportunity for getting real time responses to enquiries, incident-reports, complaints and queries about any aspect of the electoral process.’’
Osaze-Uzi said that the centre, located at the commission’s headquarters, could be accessed via social media and hotlines.
The hotlines are 07098115257, 07098117563 and 07098110916. The social media include facebook (www.facebook.com/inecnigeria); twitter (www.twitter.com/innecnigeria); email (email@example.com), and website (ww.inecnigeria.org).
The Independent National Electoral Commission
(INEC), said on Wednesday, it planned to create 403 additional polling units in Gombe State.
The Resident Electoral Commissioner (REC), Prof. Istifanus Dafwang, told newsmen in Gombe that the addition would be distributed to the 11 local government areas on 15 per cent equality.
He added that the remaining would be shared based on the population of registered voters across the state.
According to REC, polling units in the state will increase from 2,218 to 2,621 when the additional polling units are finally approved and created.He said the units were part of the 30,000 newly-created ones nationwide by INEC. Dafwang directed the Electoral Officers in the 11 local government areas to propose the new polling units in their areas based on population.
The governorship aspirant on the platform of All
Progressives Congress (APC) in Lagos State, Dr Leke Pitan, has promised to focus on human capital development, if elected as the state governor in 2015.
Pitan made the promise while addressing supporters at the Ikeja venue of “Dr Leke Pitan and Friends Free Medical Outreach”.
He said the programme would be enlarged to accommodate many people in the state if he became the governor.
“I can assure you to expect more of this programme, we are going to make the development of human capital our main focus,” he said.
Pitan, a former Commissioner for Healthcare Education in the state, assured the people that he would execute programmes and policies that would have positive impact on the people.
Senator Suleiman Adokwe, (PDP-Nasarawa) on
Thursday, donated N2.5 million cash and food items to persons displaced during the recent communal clashes in some parts of the state.
Adokwe, who was represented by Mr Lawani Aboki, said while presenting the items in Lafia that the gesture was part of his contribution to ameliorate the hardship of the victims. He called on public-spirited individuals to support displaced persons and the entire people of the state.
He urged them to always embrace peace and dialogue as means of settling disputes.
The Coordinator, Adokwe Media Committee and Strategy, Mr Abdullahi Ladan, said that the donation was the second of its kind to the affected persons.
The Speaker of Osun State House of Assembly, Mr
Najeem Salaam, has urged members of the Governorship Election Tribunal in the state to be fair and thorough in disposing petitions before them.
Salaam, in an interview with newsmen in Osogbo on Thursday, said members of the tribunal must be ready to protect their integrity in handling of the petitions.
A 3-man panel, chaired by Justice Sulaiman Ambrusa, is hearing election petition filed by PDP governorship candidate in the August 9 poll, Mr Iyiola Omisore.
Omisore is challenging the victory of Governor Rauf Aregbesola at the tribunal.
The Speaker urged members of the tribunal to be factual and address the issues as they appeared.
“I want to urge members of the tribunal to be honest and upright in handling the election petition before them.
Councillors in the 17 local
government areas of Plateau State are being owed seven months salaries by the state government, our correspondent reports.
The councilors, who were elected on February 25 and sworn-in two days later, had yet to collect their take-home packages.
The state government said they must undergo its ongoing Biometric Data Capturing of all civil servants under its payroll, before enjoying their salaries.
Some of the councillors, who pleaded anonymity, told newsmen that they were living under the mercies of their council chairmen, who on compassionate ground, approved some stipends for them.
About 200 trade associations in Yobe State
said they would buy nomination form for Governor Ibrahim Gaidam to re-contest in 2015 election.
Coordinator of the associations, Alhaji Yusuf Haruna, told newsmen in Damaturu that the gesture was based on Gaidam’s performance from 2009 to date.
“On behalf of the over 200 associations and groups, I wish to inform you that we have volunteered to purchase nomination form for the post of governor for Alhaji Ibrahim Gaidam to contest in 2015,” Haruna said.
He said the associations had endorsed the governor to ensure continuity of the infrastructural development in the state.
“All of us here representing the 200 associations have testified that Yobe assumed the status of a state with viable socio-economic development from 2009 to date.
NDLEA Arrests Doctor, Ex-Soldier For Dealing In Drugged Cookies, Cocaine
The operatives of the National Drug Law Enforcement Agency (NDLEA) have arrested a medical doctor, Jane Chioma Ofoma, in Auchi, Edo, for selling drugged cookies and biscuits.
Its Director, Media and Advocacy, Mr Femi Babafemi, said in a statement yesterday in Abuja, that Chioma sold the drugged cookies and biscuits through an online catering service, Omachi’s kitchen.
Babafemi said the arrest followed intelligence and surveillance where narcotic officers of the Edo Command of the agency on Saturday June 19, stormed her operational base at 1 Winners Way, Auchi.
This, he said, led to her arrest and at least 94 pieces of cookies produced with cannabis sativa were recovered from the suspect.
According to him, Chioma, 26, who is a graduate of medicine from the University of Nigeria, Nsukka, recently completed her housemanship at the University of Benin Teaching Hospital.
“She has confessed to baking the cookies with skunk in her statement while under interrogation,” he said.
In the same vein, Babafemi said a 30-year-old Emmanuel Ehiramhen, of No. 10 Egan Street Ekpoma, has been arrested by officers of the Edo Command of the agency for dealing in crack cocaine.
Meanwhile, NDLEA operatives in Kwara have arrested a 52-year-old ex-Soldier, Ibrahim Musa, with 12.167 kilograms of Arizona (cannabis sativa), 4 grams of Cocaine and 25 grams of flunitrazepam.
Babafemi said the suspect was apprehended on Thursday June 17, at Oke-Odo, Tanke area of Ilorin, when he arrived from Lagos to supply his customers.
He said Musa worked in the maintenance department at Abati Army Barracks, Lagos from where he was deployed to 117 Battalion in Chibok, Borno, before he deserted the Army.
He added that the suspect had arrived Ilorin with his wife, Basirat Musa, in his Honda Accord car with registration number JJ 707 BL Lagos with the seized exhibit.
He was, however, arrested at the point of delivery by operatives of the Kwara Command of the agency.
“Under interrogation, Ibrahim revealed that while at Chibok he got the connection of a supplier of Arizona (Cannabis) and other drugs in Lagos who he immediately contacted when he deserted the Army in October 2020.
“He said he decided to go into the illicit drug business to enable him fend for his two wives and three children.
“The suspect revealed that the latest journey was his second trip to Ilorin to deliver the drugs and decided to travel with one of his wives who was not aware of his mission to Ilorin,” he said.
Babafemi quoted the Chairman, NDLEA, retired Brig. Gen. Buba Marwa as commending the Edo and Kwara Commands of the agency for their vigilance and commitment to the goal of ridding Nigeria of the menace of illicit drug trafficking and abuse.
He charged the Commanders, officers and men of the two Commands and their counterparts across the country not to relent in the discharge of their responsibilities.
He assured them of his commitment towards making their welfare a priority.
13 Vehicles Burnt In Tanker Explosion On Lagos-Ibadan Expressway
The Federal Road Safety Corps (FRSC) says six tankers, five trucks and two cars were destroyed in a tanker explosion at Ogere on the Lagos-Ibadan Expressway yesterday.
Earlier, FRSC Sector Commander in Ogun, Mr Ahmed Umar, confirmed the incident to The Tide source, saying that it occurred at about 6.20 a.m.
Umar had said the explosion occurred in front of Romona trailer park on the expressway.
Giving update, he said, “the fire is serious, six tankers, five trucks and two cars are burnt in the explosion.’’
Umar said that one person had so far been rescued and taken to a private hospital in Ogere.
Meanwhile, the Ogun State Traffic Compliance and Enforcement Corps (TRACE), has advised motorists plying the road to use alternative routes.
TRACE spokesman, Mr Babatunde Akinbiyi explained that the tanker which was laden with fuel suddenly burst into flames affecting other vehicles.
“Vehicles moving inbound Lagos should go through Saapade-Ode/Remo-Iperu-Sagamu to relink Lagos-Ibadan Expressway.
“In addition, vehicles moving inbound Ibadan should also go through Sagamu-Iperu-Ode/Remo-Saapade to relink Lagos-Ibadan Expressway,’’ Akinbiyi said.
The incident was the fifth of such tragedies involving fuel tankers in the Lagos and Ogun State axis since the beginning of the year.
A similar fuel tanker-related fire was recorded on Jan. 7 on the Apapa-Oshodi Expressway.
On March 21, a fuel tanker was the cause of fire on Otedola Bridge, also on the Lagos-Ibadan Expressway in which many vehicles were burnt.
On March 25, a diesel-laden tanker went up in flames at the Ikotun area of Lagos, leading to the incineration of other vehicles and shops.
On June 17, fire from the kitchen of a Chinese restaurant at the Ogun State Property Investments Corporation (OPIC) Plaza in Lagos trailed a leaking gas truck which was on motion in the area.
This resulted in a fire snowball which engulfed many other vehicles and property.
Twenty-five cars were destroyed in the OPIC Plaza inferno, while 13 persons, mostly workers in the restaurant, sustained burn injuries.
S’ East Leaders Denounce Secessionist Groups …Seek Protection Of Igbos
Leaders of the South East geo-political zone have urged leaders of other geo-political zones in the country to protect Igbos living in their regions, even as they condemned in totality the activities of violent secessionist groups in the zone and elsewhere.
The lgbo leaders comprising the governors of the five states, members of the National Assembly, Ministers, Speakers of the State Houses of Assembly, the Clergy and Traditional Rulers, made their feelings known on Saturday, in a communique issued when they rose from a closed-door meeting at the Government House, Enugu.
Explaining that they made the request in view of what they described as “threats by some groups against our people”, the South East leaders promised to protect everyone, including Igbos and people from other regions, residing in the zone.
On the impression that South East leaders are silent over agitations for secession by some youths of the region, they stated that “is not correct”, stressing that “South East Governors, Ohaneze President, National Assembly members, notable leaders had come out publicly many times in the past to speak against such agitations”.
Proclaiming firmly that “we do not support them, they do not speak for South East”, the communiqué read by the Governor of Ebonyi State and Chairman of South East Governors’ Forum, Engr. David Umahi, made it clear that the leaders of the zone reiterated their “commitment to one united Nigeria under a platform of justice, equality of rights, fairness, love and respect for one another”.
The communiqué revealed that South East leaders, in order not to mismanage the unfortunate situation, “have set up a committee to engage such youths to stop and allow elders speak to address such fears”.
It added that South East leaders also condemned the killing of security agents, burning of strategic infrastructure and killing of civilians in South East and in other regions, and requested the security agencies to discharge their duties within the rules of engagement and the law
They, however, explained that the meeting was held “for articulation of our positions and further meet with the Presidential team”, sequel to the earlier meeting with the Presidential delegation, led by the Minister of Defence, Retired Maj. Gen. Bashir Magashi, on June 11, 2021.
The communiqué disclosed that the meeting consequently “set up committees under Ohaneze Ndigbo to articulate and address our positions on all burning issues to further meet among ourselves and thereafter meet with the Presidential team”.
On the safety of the Igbo indigenes in other parts of the country and the newly established regional security outfit, the communiqué added that the “meeting directed our Governors and Ohaneze Ndigbo to liaise with indigenes from the northern part of Nigeria and indigenes of other regions to assure the nation, Nigeria, and their people of their safety in South East.
“The meeting endorsed our South East joint security outfit – Ebubeagu and asked them to work with security agencies and to respect the rights and privileges of all those living in the South East and our visitors”.
By: Canice Amadi, Enugu
- Sports3 days ago
Okagbare Sets New Record At Olympic Trials
- Featured3 days ago
APC’s Ploy To Ban, Regulate Social Media, Hypocritical, Wike Affirms
- Politics2 days ago
APC: C’River LP Disowns Decampees
- Oil & Energy3 days ago
Total Nigeria Advocates Petroleum Subsidy Removal
- Oil & Energy3 days ago
Buhari Thumbs Up For NLNG As NNPC Reviews Activities
- Sports2 days ago
CAF Mulls Super League Idea
- Politics3 days ago
Okorocha Cautions Igbos On Secession
- Editorial3 days ago
As New Rivers LG Chairmen Assume Office…