Connect with us

Nation

THE STATES

Published

on

Bauchi

Bauchi State Government  has vowed   to flush out
ghost workers from the state civil service and put in place strategies at providing quality service and prudence.
State Head of Service, HoS, Mr. Abdon Dalla Gin, spoke while declaring open a five-day capacity building training on Human Resources Management for civil servants organised by the Public Sector Governance Reform and Development Project in collaboration with Administrative Staff College of Nigeria, ASCON.
According to him, the administration was determined to ensure that only genuine civil servants were in its payroll through proper documentation.
He said: “The state government was able to surmount the ghost workers syndrome in the state through the provision of Data Bank for all civil servants in the state including pensioners. This training is aimed at equipping the officers with requisite knowledge that will not only enhance their skills but also assist them in ensuring effective service delivery and it will also expose them to information technology system.

Borno
No fewer than 200 members of the Boko Haram Is
lamic sect, were reportedly killed, yesterday, in a  battle with soldiers of 7 Division, Nigerian Army when the sect members in their hundreds attempted to launch attack on Konduga Local Government Area of Borno State.
Also, more than six vehicles including an armoured tank with Arabic inscription; Rocket-Propelled Launchers, anti-aircraft guns, assorted number of AK-47 rifles with ammunition were recovered from the terrorists by the troops.
Konduga is South-East and about 42 kilometres drive from Maiduguri, the state capital which had witnessed series of deadly attacks in the past. Last Friday, more than 100 insurgents, who attempted to invade the town, were killed by the troops in a gun battle before seizing many of their vehicles, arms and ammunition.
A statement by the Director of Army Public Relations, Brigadier-General Olajide Laleye said: “In an attempt to regain the momentum they lost in Konduga last week, Boko Haram terrorists again attacked Konduga last Tuesday night. However, the terrorists were denied their objective by vigilant and gallant Nigerian Army troops. During the fight, several terrorists were killed and those fleeing Konduga with gunshot wounds were being pursued.

FCT
The Federal Government, last Monday, said it has “con
tained” the spread of Ebola Virus Disease (EVD) in the country.
This is even as the government has described as ill-conceived, the recent strike embarked upon by the Nigerian Medical Association (NMA), especially when the nation’s health sector was under threat.
Permanent Secretary, Federal Ministry of Health, Mr Linus Awute, spoke in Abuja, recently while briefing directors, deputy directors at a meeting with the Head of Service of the Federation, Mr Danladi Kifasi.
Kifasi had asked Awute to enlighten the top echelon of the Federal Civil Service on the Ebola outbreak and precautionary measures to take, in order to prevent the spread of the deadly disease.
Jigawa

Jigawa State governor, Sule Lamido, says the state
will not support President Goodluck Jonathan’s re-election bid until promises made to the state in 2011 are kept by the president.
He said all the four promises made before the 2011 elections by the president have not been fulfilled by the Federal Government.
The governor, in an interview with BBC Hausa radio on Tuesday said that the state expected to be compensated for its support to Jonathan in 2011.
He mentioned the unfulfilled promises as “the cargo airport, which the president stated there would be six of them in the whole country, and promised us that one would be in Dutse.”

Kaduna
Chairman, Board of Nigerian Railway Corporation
(NRC), Alhaji Bamanga Tukur, has assured Nigerians that transforming railway system was President Goodluk Jonathan’s topmost priority.
Tukur said this in an interview with journalists shortly after inspecting railway facilities during a familiarisation tour to the Railway Northern District in Kaduna recently.
He said: “President Goodluck Jonathan had intensified efforts toward transforming the railway system to give it a new and dynamic face.
“With the determination of Mr President, board, management and the entire staff we will rebuild an enviable railway system in Nigeria.”

Kaduna
A former Inspector-General of Police, Alhaji Ibrahim
Coomassie, has urged Northern leaders to tackle the security challenges facing the North.
Coomassie, who is the chairman, Arewa Consultative Forum (ACF), gave the advice at the emergency meeting of the ACF with Northern non-governmental organisation leaders in Kaduna recently.
“We must salvage the North and by extension the whole nation, our success will usher vista of hope, respect, unity and cooperation in the North,’’ he said.
According to him, if we fail to save the north, all of us will go down in history as those crops of leaders who have mortgaged the future of their progeny.
The former police boss called on the northern leaders to speak with one voice, adding: “we must all speak not as members of our individual groups but as members of the Arewa family’’.

Kwara

Minister of National Planning and Deputy Chairman,
National Planning Commission, Dr. Suleiman Olanrewaju, has advised members of Peoples Democratic Party (PDP), in Kwara State to bury their differences and unite to be able to win the 2015 general elections.
He spoke at the palace of Emir of Ilorin Alhaji Sulu Gambari, where he went to pay homage to the traditional ruler ahead of a PDP reception in his honour in Ilorin.
He said: “This is the first time Kwara State, as a government, will be in the opposition to the political party at the centre in the last 20 years, and we should take advantage of this golden opportunity.
“We all know that there is nothing as good as being with the party at the centre. We should, therefore, not miss 2015; we should, therefore, put our house in order and win Kwara State for PDP in the coming elections.”
Olanrewaju also cautioned that no member of PDP in the state should engage in politics of bitterness capable of causing breach of peace in any part of the state and also solicited for prayers of the royal father for peace in the state.
Lagos

The Federal Roads Maintenance Agency (FERMA),
last Monday, blamed the Lagos State Government for blocking the median drain while constructing a diversion to Alimosho Road on Lagos/Abeokuta Expressway.
Mr Kehinde Afolabi, the FERMA engineer in charge of Lagos West, said this in an interview with newsmen in Lagos.
Afolabi said though the state government obtained permission to create the diversion while rehabilitating bridges on the axis, it was expected to restate the road to its original position.
According to him, lined drain that is supposed to discharge water from the road median was tampered with by the state government.
He said a drain channel on the road median, which connected the one that discharged water to the road shoulders, was blocked with crushed stone materials.

Nasarawa
Police in Nasarawa State are investigating a group of
male students of the state polytechnic, after they allegedly gang-raped a 200-Level student. The students are suspected to be members of a cult group.
Our correspondent gathered that the incident occurred shortly after the victim returned from a trip.
Sources said the student returned to school with a lot of money and that she stayed out with the suspected rapists at a drinking joint, where “they all had a good time”.
She was said to have left the group after a quarrel ensued among them. She was, however, unable to gain access to her room as her roommate refused to open the door because she returned late.

Plateau

No fewer than 1,274 intending pilgrims from Plateau
State for this year’s pilgrimage to Saudi Arabia, have been declared free of Ebola Virus Disease, EVD,  as well as other deadly diseases like HIV/AIDS.
State Executive Secretary, Muslim Pilgrims Welfare Board, Alhaji Salisu Musa, disclosed this yesterday in Jos during the farewell address for the 2014 intending Pilgrims.
Addressing the intending pilgrims, Alhaji Musa said the state government in conjunction with the board had put in place all basic requirements that would guarantee smooth pilgrimage in the holy land.
According to him, “Out of the 1,274 intending pilgrims, 924 are self sponsored while the State and local governments sponsored 350. Adequate arrangements have been made in the areas of transportation, accommodation and medical facilities. Not only did the governor approve the sponsorship of some medical personnel but sufficient drugs have been purchased to be used in our clinic while in the holy land. The airlift of pilgrims is expected to start today (Wednesday) and the movement will be in three batches.”

L-R: Governor Idris Wada of Kogi State, Director General, mdgs, Precious  Gbaneol and Governor Babangida Aliyu of Niger State, at the National Economic Council meeting in Abuja, recently. Photo: NAN

L-R: Governor Idris Wada of Kogi State, Director General, mdgs, Precious Gbaneol and Governor Babangida Aliyu of Niger State, at the National Economic Council meeting in Abuja, recently. Photo: NAN

Continue Reading

Nation

NDLEA Arrests Doctor, Ex-Soldier For Dealing In Drugged Cookies, Cocaine

Published

on

The operatives of the National Drug Law Enforcement Agency (NDLEA) have arrested a medical doctor, Jane Chioma Ofoma, in Auchi, Edo, for selling drugged cookies and biscuits.
Its Director, Media and Advocacy, Mr Femi Babafemi, said in a statement yesterday in Abuja, that Chioma sold the drugged cookies and biscuits through an online catering service, Omachi’s kitchen.
Babafemi said the arrest followed intelligence and surveillance where narcotic officers of the Edo Command of the agency on Saturday June 19, stormed her operational base at 1 Winners Way, Auchi.
This, he said, led to her arrest and at least 94 pieces of cookies produced with cannabis sativa were recovered from the suspect.
According to him, Chioma, 26, who is a graduate of medicine from the University of Nigeria, Nsukka, recently completed her housemanship at the University of Benin Teaching Hospital.
“She has confessed to baking the cookies with skunk in her statement while under interrogation,” he said.
In the same vein, Babafemi said a 30-year-old Emmanuel Ehiramhen, of No. 10 Egan Street Ekpoma, has been arrested by officers of the Edo Command of the agency for dealing in crack cocaine.
Meanwhile, NDLEA operatives in Kwara have arrested a 52-year-old ex-Soldier, Ibrahim Musa, with 12.167 kilograms of Arizona (cannabis sativa), 4 grams of Cocaine and 25 grams of flunitrazepam.
Babafemi said the suspect was apprehended on Thursday June 17, at Oke-Odo, Tanke area of Ilorin, when he arrived from Lagos to supply his customers.
He said Musa worked in the maintenance department at Abati Army Barracks, Lagos from where he was deployed to 117 Battalion in Chibok, Borno, before he deserted the Army.
He added that the suspect had arrived Ilorin with his wife, Basirat Musa, in his Honda Accord car with registration number JJ 707 BL Lagos with the seized exhibit.
He was, however, arrested at the point of delivery by operatives of the Kwara Command of the agency.
“Under interrogation, Ibrahim revealed that while at Chibok he got the connection of a supplier of Arizona (Cannabis) and other drugs in Lagos who he immediately contacted when he deserted the Army in October 2020.
“He said he decided to go into the illicit drug business to enable him fend for his two wives and three children.
“The suspect revealed that the latest journey was his second trip to Ilorin to deliver the drugs and decided to travel with one of his wives who was not aware of his mission to Ilorin,” he said.
Babafemi quoted the Chairman, NDLEA, retired Brig. Gen. Buba Marwa as commending the Edo and Kwara Commands of the agency for their vigilance and commitment to the goal of ridding Nigeria of the menace of illicit drug trafficking and abuse.
He charged the Commanders, officers and men of the two Commands and their counterparts across the country not to relent in the discharge of their responsibilities.
He assured them of his commitment towards making their welfare a priority.

Continue Reading

Nation

13 Vehicles Burnt In Tanker Explosion On Lagos-Ibadan Expressway

Published

on

The Federal Road Safety Corps (FRSC) says six tankers, five trucks and two cars were destroyed in a tanker explosion at Ogere on the Lagos-Ibadan Expressway yesterday.
Earlier, FRSC Sector Commander in Ogun, Mr Ahmed Umar, confirmed the incident to The Tide source, saying that it occurred at about 6.20 a.m.
Umar had said the explosion occurred in front of Romona trailer park on the expressway.
Giving update, he said, “the fire is serious, six tankers, five trucks and two cars are burnt in the explosion.’’
Umar said that one person had so far been rescued and taken to a private hospital in Ogere.
Meanwhile, the Ogun State Traffic Compliance and Enforcement Corps (TRACE), has advised motorists plying the road to use alternative routes.
TRACE spokesman, Mr Babatunde Akinbiyi explained that the tanker which was laden with fuel suddenly burst into flames affecting other vehicles.
“Vehicles moving inbound Lagos should go through Saapade-Ode/Remo-Iperu-Sagamu to relink Lagos-Ibadan Expressway.
“In addition, vehicles moving inbound Ibadan should also go through Sagamu-Iperu-Ode/Remo-Saapade to relink Lagos-Ibadan Expressway,’’ Akinbiyi said.
The incident was the fifth of such tragedies involving fuel tankers in the Lagos and Ogun State axis since the beginning of the year.
A similar fuel tanker-related fire was recorded on Jan. 7 on the Apapa-Oshodi Expressway.
On March 21, a fuel tanker was the cause of fire on Otedola Bridge, also on the Lagos-Ibadan Expressway in which many vehicles were burnt.
On March 25, a diesel-laden tanker went up in flames at the Ikotun area of Lagos, leading to the incineration of other vehicles and shops.
On June 17, fire from the kitchen of a Chinese restaurant at the Ogun State Property Investments Corporation (OPIC) Plaza in Lagos trailed a leaking gas truck which was on motion in the area.
This resulted in a fire snowball which engulfed many other vehicles and property.
Twenty-five cars were destroyed in the OPIC Plaza inferno, while 13 persons, mostly workers in the restaurant, sustained burn injuries.

Continue Reading

Nation

S’ East Leaders Denounce Secessionist Groups …Seek Protection Of Igbos

Published

on

Leaders of the South East geo-political zone have urged leaders of other geo-political zones in the country to protect Igbos living in their regions, even as they condemned in totality the activities of violent secessionist groups in the zone and elsewhere. 
The lgbo leaders comprising the governors of the five states, members of the National Assembly, Ministers, Speakers of the State Houses of Assembly, the Clergy and Traditional Rulers, made their feelings known on Saturday, in a communique issued when they rose from a closed-door meeting at the Government House, Enugu. 
Explaining that they made the request in view of what they described as “threats by some groups against our people”, the South East leaders promised to protect everyone, including Igbos and people from other regions, residing in the zone.
On the impression that South East leaders are silent over agitations for secession by some youths of the region, they stated that “is not correct”, stressing that “South East Governors, Ohaneze President, National Assembly members, notable leaders had come out publicly many times in the past to speak against such agitations”.
Proclaiming firmly that “we do not support them, they do not speak for South East”,  the communiqué read by the Governor of Ebonyi State and Chairman of South East Governors’ Forum, Engr. David Umahi, made it clear that the leaders of the zone reiterated their “commitment to one united Nigeria under a platform of justice, equality of rights, fairness, love and respect for one another”.
The communiqué revealed that South East leaders, in order not to mismanage the unfortunate situation, “have set up a committee to engage such youths to stop and allow elders speak to address such fears”. 
It added that South East leaders also condemned the killing of security agents, burning of strategic infrastructure and killing of civilians in South East and in other regions, and requested the security agencies to discharge their duties within the rules of engagement and the law
They, however, explained that the meeting was held “for articulation of our positions and further meet with the Presidential team”, sequel to the earlier meeting with the Presidential delegation, led by the Minister of Defence, Retired Maj. Gen. Bashir Magashi, on June 11, 2021.
The communiqué disclosed that the meeting consequently “set up committees under Ohaneze Ndigbo to articulate and address our positions on all burning issues to further meet among ourselves and thereafter meet with the Presidential team”.
On the safety of the Igbo indigenes in other parts of the country and the newly established regional security outfit, the communiqué added that the “meeting directed our Governors and Ohaneze Ndigbo to liaise with indigenes from the northern part of Nigeria and indigenes of other regions to assure the nation, Nigeria, and their people of their safety in South East.
“The meeting endorsed our South East joint security outfit – Ebubeagu and asked them to work with security agencies and to respect the rights and privileges of all those living in the South East and our visitors”.

By: Canice Amadi, Enugu

Continue Reading

Trending