There are indications that the Peoples Democratic Party in
Adamawa State may explode following the recent political developments in the state. However, the explosion, it was gathered, may take a religious dimension.
It was gathered that the plan to impeach the former governor, Murtala Nyako, was agreed to with the understanding that Ngilari would be spared and be allowed to become the governor after his boss must have been sacked, but a powerful group within the PDP, at both the national and state levels, was said to have insisted that Ngilari too must be removed.
The plot, it was gathered, forced the deputy governor to resign before the seven-man probe panel set up by Acting Chief Judge of the state, Justice Ambrose Mammadi, to investigate allegation of misconduct against the former governor and his deputy.
The setting up of the panel was as a result of directive from the state House of Assembly.
The Authorities of the Federal Polytechnic, Bauchi State,
has outlined a programme of academic activities to enable the recovery of the period lost to the nine months strike by the Academic Staff Union of Polytechnics (ASUP).
The institution’s Public Relation Officer (PRO), Malam Mohammed Wada, said in Bauchi State Thursday, that academic activities resumed fully July 30, and that the semester would last for only two months.
Wada explained that lectures would hold for five weeks, while examination would commence on September 8 and last for three weeks.
“We were one month into the second semester of the 2012/2013 academic session when the strike commenced in October 2013. ”What we are trying to do now, is to see how we can complete the syllabus within five weeks, so that examination would commence in the sixth week and end in the eighth week”, he said.
Peoples Democratic Party in Ekiti State has accused
Governor Kayode Fayemi of alleged plot to use the 19 new Local Council Development Areas as conduits to siphon about N10bn out of the state’s treasury.
The party in a statement by its State Publicity Secretary, Kola Oluwawole, in Ado-Ekiti on Thursday alleged that the money would be taken out of the treasury before the October 15 expiration time of the administration.
It alleged that the money was part of the accumulated slashed allocations due to the original 16 local government areas, and other foreign and local aids collected by the All Progressives Congress government since its inception in October 2010.
But the Commissioner for Information, Tayo Ekundayo, in his reaction refuted the allegation saying, “such money is not available in the first place.”
The National Youth Service Corps last Thursday announced
the redeployment of corps members from seven northern states. The affected states are Adamawa, Bauchi, Borno, Gombe, Jigawa, Kano and Yobe states.
A statement last Thursday in Abuja by the Director of Public Relations in NYSC, Mrs. Bose Aderibigbe, said the decision followed the high rate of insecurity in some parts of the North. The corps members are part of the 2014 Batch ‘B’ Orientation Course scheduled to commence next week Tuesday August 5, 2014.
The NYSC said due to logistic reasons, the orientation course will be conducted in two streams for different states. The Stream One exercise will be conducted from Tuesday, August 5 to Tuesday, August 26 2014 in Lagos, Ondo, Ekiti, Kwara, Oyo, Niger, Abia, Akwa Ibom, Anambra, Benue, Bayelsa, Cross River, Delta, Ebonyi, Edo, Enugu, FCT, Imo, Kebbi, Kaduna, Kogi, Katsina, Nasarawa, Ogun, Plateau, Rivers, Sokoto, Taraba and Zamfara states.
Corps members posted to states listed in the Stream One category will undergo the orientation course in their respective states of deployment. The statement explained that the Stream Two exercise, meant for the affected northern states, had been scheduled for Monday, September 1, 2014 to Monday, September 22, 2014.
Former local government councillors In Kwara on
Thursday protested over the non-payment of the severance allowance owed them from 2007 to 2010, totalling N2.25bn.
The aggrieved Councillors barricaded the main gate of the Government House in Ilorin while displaying placards with various inscriptions. They vowed not to stop their protest until Governor AbdulFatah Ahmed attended to them.
The Chief of Staff to the governor, Mr Toyin Sanusi, who came out to address the protesters, was chased back.
The governor later invited the protesters for a closed door meeting which lasted three hours. After the meeting, Hon. Sulyman Olota, the spokesman of the group, told newsmwn that the meeting with the governor was fruitful.
Residents of Funtua and its environs in Katsina State
are mobilising for prayers as they had increased community surveillance to avert the activities of suspected insurgents in the area.
The District Head, Alhaji Sambo Idris, told newsmen last Thursday in Funtua that he had instructed religious, traditional and community leaders in the area to organise for prayers sessions against terrorism.
Idris said he had also directed residents of the area to pray against all forms of violence and restiveness in the community and the nation at large and he appealed to the people to increase surveillance in their areas and to contact security agencies over any movement of suspicious persons.
According to him, he also advised the people against taking the law into their hands in their effort to make the area safe and free from terrorists’ activities and Idris expressed appreciation with security agencies, the state and local government authorities for their prompt response during emergency situations.
The Senior Staff Association of Nigerian Universities
(SSANU), Lagos State University (LASU) Chapter, on Friday suspended its three-month old strike.
The Chairman of the association, Mr Saheed Oseni, said in Lagos that the strike would be suspended till Aug. 30.
He said that the decision was taken at a congress meeting on Friday morning following an agreement the union reached with the LASU Governing Council.
The union demands reduction in tuition fee, repeal of LASU’s ‘no-vacancy-no-promotion policy, and implementation of the 2012 Universities Miscellaneous Provision Act.
The Nasarawa State House of Assembly and the state Chief
Judge, Justice Justice Sulaiman Dikko, may be heading for a showdown over the composition of the seven-man panel put in place to investigate allegations of wrongdoing by Governor Tanko Al-Makura as the assembly wants Dikko to dissolve the panel on the grounds that it is made of loyalists of the All Progressives Congress of which Al-Makura is the leader in the state.
The Chairman of the House Committee on Information and Security, Baba Ibaku, disclosed this in a telephone interview with our correspondent in Lafia, on Monday said that the lawmakers resolved to demand for the dissolution of the panel during their emergency sitting at the assembly complex at 10am on Monday .
He argued that the fact that the panel members held political positions in the state was against the provision of Section 188 of the 1999 Constitution as amended.
The lawmaker said, “We had an emergency sitting to deliberate on the seven-man panel that was set up by the Chief Judge on Friday last week. We asked him to dissolve the seven-man panel because the members of the panel are APC members that hold various political positions in the state.”
Operatives of the Department of State Service, DSS,
yesterday stormed Osogbo, the Osun State ca pital and other major towns in the state preparatory to the August 9 governorship election in the state, even as the Independent National Electoral Commission, INEC, assured that the poll would be free and fair.
The DSS operatives were strategically positioned in major areas of the town while some moved round major streets. It was gathered that over 5,000 operatives were deployed to the state to maintain law and order before and during the governorship election.
The state government, in its reaction to the development, described it as an attempt to militarise the state ahead of the election. The Special Adviser to the Governor on Environment, Mr Bola Ilori noted that the Peoples Democratic Party, PDP, was behind the deployment of the operatives to the state.
The Oyo State chapter of the All Progressives Congress
(APC) has asked former governors of the state, Adebayo Alao-Akala and Rashidi Ladoja, to stop shedding what it termed “crocodile tears” over the recent rumoured impeachment bid of the state House of Assembly against its party-led government, saying the two governors were products of chaotic governments and cannot now pretend that theirs were governments of peace.
The party made this known in a statement issued by its party chairman, Chief Akin Oke, in reaction to two separate statements credited to the two former governors last weekend.
The APC said the two former governors did not have the moral right to postulate or advise any government on peace, since they headed governments that were renowned for brigandage, thuggery, bloodshed and where peace eluded the people of the state.
“Is it not an irony that Akala and Ladoja would tell us how peaceful our state would be with a House of Assembly that is devoid of rancor? Both of them ran governments whose Houses of Assembly were like Israel and Palestine and the Governor’s Office like Gaza, even when members were of the same Peoples Democratic Party (PDP)”, the party said.
Of 1,561 Candidates, 880 Graduate From Law School-DG
The Nigerian Law School says out of the 1, 561 candidates who sat for the December examination, 880 passed.
The Director-General of the School, Prof. Isa Ciroma, SAN, made this known yesterday in Abuja, while presenting the new wigs to the Body of Benchers at the 2020 Call to the Bar ceremony.
“Four others were from previous Bar examination,’’ he said, adding that the new wigs had met all the required and set conditions by the Council of Legal Education.
“I am happy to affirm that they all have exhibited good manners and decorum during their training.
“They have also been groomed in the best ethics and ethos of our noble profession.
“The screening committee of our distinguished body carefully perused the records of each of the aspirants and found them worthy to be presented for the Call to the Nigerian Bar.’’
Ciroma said that the school had begun a special remedial course for students from the National Open University of Nigeria (NOUN).
“The programme began on June 28, at the Nigerian Law School Headquarters, Bwari, Abuja. We thank all distinguished members of the Body of Benchers, for their support,’’ he said.
The Chairman, Body of Benchers, Justice Olabode Rhodes-Vivour, congratulated the new wigs and charged them to adhere to the provision of rules regarding the profession at all times.
“As a lawyer, you are an officer of the court and accordingly, you are not to do any act or conduct yourselves in a manner that will obstruct or adversely affect the course of justice.
“The practice of Law is not a right but a privilege. It is a privilege that can be lost should you fail to live up to the requisite professional standards imposed upon you by virtue of your entry into the community of lawyers.
“You must, therefore, strictly adhere to the provisions of the Rules of the Professional Conduct and maintain best practices at all times.’’
He stressed that the Body of Benchers Legal Practitioners Disciplinary Committee was always determined to discipline any lawyer found wanting or breaching set rules of the profession.
Rhodes-Vivour said that the committee had been carrying out its mandate “in a just and fair manner’’ without giving any room for compromise or ill-will.
He said that between January and July, the committee disbarred six lawyers and suspended some for between two and four years, while one lawyer was admonished during the period.
Rhodes-Vivour advised the graduates to continue to update their knowledge on both statute and case law in order to attain more understanding on especially, international jurisdictions.
In 2020, the Council of Legal Education said that out of a total of 2,515 students who participated in the examinations, 1,864 passed the Bar Final Examinations conducted in January.
The director-general who described the performance as outstanding, said that among the 1, 864 students who were successful, only five made First Class while 632 others failed the examinations.
“Candidates graded in First Class are five, Second Class Upper 77, Second Class Lower are 633, those who got pass marks are 1,067 and those with Conditional Pass are 82.
“632 candidates failed the examination, 17 were absent and 2 results are withheld.”
Chiroma further explained that only 0.2 per cent made First Class, 3.06 per cent made Second Class Upper, 25.17 per cent made Second Class Lower and 42.42 per cent passed.
He said other performances include a 3.26 per cent for those with conditional pass, 25.12 per cent failed the examinations, 0.7 per cent were absent and 0.8 per cent results are being withheld.
NGO Trains 300 Returning Migrants On Business Development
Web of Heart Foundation, a Non-Governmental Organisation, says it has trained and empowered more than 300 returning migrants, youths and internally displaced persons on job creation.
Its Executive Director, Mrs Bose Aggrey, made the declaration yesterday in Lagos at the graduation of its “Create and Start Module’’ trainees.
The graduating trainees were awarded certificates and given grants facilitated by some investors and soft loans from banks after six months of training to identify and analyse business ideas and opportunities.
“We taught them how to articulate their business ideas into plans; introduced them to investors and equally assisted them to get bank loans.
“It is an opportunity for the participants to put themselves together either to get employed or to become employers,’’ she said.
“We introduced investors to the participants when they were pitching and some of them are already getting grants.
“We are working with two banks so they can provide soft loans at low interest rates for the participants,’’ she added.
In his remarks, Mr Peik Bruhns, Team Leader of the firm of consultants that conducted the training, said the company had reached out to train 5,000 Nigerians on Micro, Small and Medium scale Enterprises in six months
He said this was done in collaboration with nine organisations, including Web of Heart Foundation.
“I will like to stress the importance of working with returnee migrants because Web of Heart Foundation focuses on assisting them to reintegrate into society.
Zamfara Police Refute Kidnap Of 60 Passengers Rumour
The Zamfara State Police Command has refuted a story that 60 passengers travelling along Sokoto – Gusau road on Sunday, July 25, were kidnapped by bandits.
The state Police Public Relations Officer, Mohammed Shehu, in a statement, yesterday, said the story was inaccurate and a calculated attempt by some mischief makers to create fear and apprehension into the minds of the general public, especially the commuters.
“The attention of Zamfara State Police Command has been drawn to a story trending on social and conventional media that armed bandits blocked Sokoto – Gusau Road, and abducted 60 people travelling from Sokoto to Abuja.”
The statement said, “For the avoidance of doubt and purpose of clarity, the command was informed that a large number of armed bandits blocked a Toyota bus vehicle, belonging to the Sokoto State Mass Transit and abducted 11 passengers who were travelling from Sokoto – Abuja along Sokoto – the accurate report of the incident. On Sunday, July 25, 2021, Gusau Road in Bakura LGA.”
According to the statement, the Police Tactical operatives attached to Operation Restore Peace were alerted, and they quickly mobilized to the location and dislodged the hoodlums who blocked many vehicles for abduction, adding that the road was instantly cleared for motorists and other road users and reinforced more police operatives to improve the security and safety of the commuters.
The statement noted that in the course of mopping up the scene, a Toyota bus vehicle belonging to Sokoto State Mass Transit was sighted empty and it was revealed that 11 passengers, including the driver were abducted and taken to the bush before the arrival of the police.
It said the operatives further embarked on search and rescue operation in the surrounding bush with a view to rescuing the kidnapped victims, stressing that two persons who were left far behind with other hoodlums were abandoned by their captors for fear of being neutralised by the Police operatives, the remaining nine victims were taken to the forest.
- Politics4 days ago
RSG To Seal Dirty Business Places, Illegal Motor Parks
- Politics4 days ago
Andoni Chairman Tasks Councillors On Capacity Dev
- Sports4 days ago
Coach Expresses Joy Over Players’ Performance
- Politics4 days ago
Soludo: ‘INEC Must Redeem Self’
- Niger Delta4 days ago
Monarch Charges FG, Others On Abandoned Road Projects
- Nation4 days ago
‘Media, Military Relations Can Be Enhanced In Conflict Reporting’
- News3 days ago
Cyber Crime: FBI Declares Six Nigerians Most Wanted
- Politics4 days ago
INEC Registers 9,261 Online In C’River