Security agencies may go after some national leaders of
All Progressives Congress (APC), on allegation of an attempted bribe offered Adamawa State House of Assembly members in a bid to stall the impeachment move against the impeached governor, Murtala Nyako.
A top government official who spoke to journalists in Abuja on condition of anonymity, said except the leaders of APC desist from pointing fingers at President Goodluck Jonathan of being behind Nyako’s travail, security agencies may go after them to explain their roles in an alleged bribery attempt to the lawmakers to stave off the impeachment.
The top government official told journalists that both the government and security agencies were in possession of information linking the APC leaders to the alleged criminal act.
According to him, intelligence report indicated that an APC governor from the North and the one from the South, made the inducement offer of N250 million each to the Adamawa State lawmakers to jettison the impeachment move against Nyako.
Governor Gabriel Suswam of Benue State has declared his
intention to contest the Benue North East Senatorial seat in the forthcoming 2015 general election.
Suswam declared his interest in Adikpo, Kwande local government area of the state when he led three paramount rulers of the ‘Sankera political bloc’ to lobby the two paramount rulers of Ushongo and Kwande local government areas where the PDP supposedly zoned the position to, asking that the position be ceded to him.
Addressing the gathering on the purpose of their visit, the Ter Katsina-Ala, Chief Fezanga Wombo, who spoke on behalf of the Suswam-led delegation, said they were in the palace of the Ter Kwande to intimate them of the governor’s intention to contest the 2015 senatorial election.
Responding to the request, the Ter Kwande, Chief Hilary Ikima, stated that “since none of our subjects had indicated interest to contest the seat and given that Governor Suswam is the first to ask for it we will loan the seat to Sankera.
Borno State Governor Kashim Shettima met with President
Goodluck Jonathan in Abuja last Friday, pleading for assistance to stop the rampaging Boko Haram insurgents.
According to sources, Shettima had a closed door session with the President at night on Friday on the security challenges facing the state. The two leaders locked themselves up for about 45 minutes without any of their aides present.
A source said: “The meeting had to do with the security situation in the state, especially attacks on Damboa and the withdrawal of troops from the area by military authorities. The death toll had made the governor sad, in spite of the huge investment in security apparatchik in the state.
“The military is unhappy that some local collaborators played key roles in the ambush of troops on July 4 which led to the killing of a Lieutenant Colonel in a tank by some suicide bombers. The governor came to beg for more military intervention to save the state. No leader will be happy seeing his people being killed like fowls. And the President reassured the governor that more actions will be taken” the source added.
The Minister of State for Works, Prince Adedayo Adeyeye,
has assured the people of Ekiti State and Nigerians alike of his readiness to deliver on the presidential mandate of providing critical road infrastructure in the country.
Adeyeye who stated this, shortly after assuming office while receiving the Ekiti State Governor-elect, Mr. Ayodele Fayose, in his office. He reiterated Mr. President’s resolve to deliver on critical road infrastructure across the length and breadth of the country.
He thanked the people of Ekiti State for the overwhelming support and votes given to the Governor-elect during the June 21, 2014 governorship election and disclosed that having known the pedigree of the governor-elect, he was sure that Ekiti people would once more, experience unprecedented development, peace and progress.
Earlier in his remarks, Mr Ayo Fayose urged the minister to squarely face his mandate while eschewing politics of rancour and favouritism with a view to leveraging on the performance of his national assignment.
The governor-elect also said he was confident on the ability of the Honourable Minister of State to deliver on the dividends of democracy, having known him to be a good team player.
The National Human Rights Commission has asked a
Federal High Court in Abuja to set aside its order of a stay of execution of the commission’s investigation report which awarded N135 million to relatives and victims of the attack and killing of some squatters in Apo, Abuja.
Justice Gabriel Kolawole had on June 27, 2014, in his ruling on the ex parte application filed by the State Security Services, ordered a stay of execution of the report.
The judge had equally granted leave to the SSS to apply for an order of certiorari to quash the decisions and awards contained in the NHRC’s report on complaint No: C/2013/7908/HQ.
The court also granted leave to the SSS to serve the commission with the originating motion, which is the main suit.
The Nigerian Immigration Service has paraded three
suspects, including two policemen, for allegedly defrauding members of the public through an employment scam.
The two policemen, Bitrus Gata, Asartia Johnson, both of State Police Command and one Oluwatayo Komolafe, were said to have issued out fake letters of employment to their victims, after collecting various amounts from them.
The Comptroller-General of Immigration, David Parradang, who addressed journalists in Abuja on Monday, said the service was not recruiting, and cautioned the public against falling prey to solicitations from fake Facebook accounts for employment into the immigration service.
Parradang stated that the Presidential Committee on immigration recruitment, was yet to announce the date and modalities for recruitment into the NIS, adding that the right information would be publicised once the committee concluded arrangements.
Former Military Head of State and leader of the opposition
All Progressives Congress (APC), Maj. Gen. Muhammadu Buhari ( rtd) has warned that the unconstitutional impeachment of governors will plunge the country into anarchy.
Buhari in a statement on Monday in Kaduna maintained that the Nigerian Constitution was being subverted in the desperate quest to impeach governors in the opposition party.
According to him, “the recent induced impeachment and threats of impeachment of Governors in the opposition” was aimed at decapitating the APC , stressing that it does not augur well for the survival of a fragile nation like Nigeria and its tenderfoot democracy.
He stated that deploying the institutions of state, some of which are symbols of the country’s unity, “just to kick an out-of-favour state Governor in the stomach can only breed anarchy and lead the nation down the slippery slope to chaos.”
Impeachment and threats of impeachment of All Progressives
Congress (APC) governors is suspicious, the Nigeria Labour Congress (NLC) National Vice-President Isa Aremu has said. The labour leader said the sanctity of tenure is needed to sustain democracy.
Aremu, who was a member of the National Conference, spoke in Ilorin, the Kwara State capital, on the state’s radio programme, The Platform. The labour leader urged President Goodluck Jonathan not to use his office to torment governors in the opposition.
He said: “What is worrisome to me is that of Nasarawa. The impeachment notice was served just at the time the President, who comes from another party, was visiting the state. I mean we should not give it the impression that the President is using his office to torment a governor in an opposition state. I don’t think this is the intention of the President.
“What I am saying is, even the timing alone makes it to be suspicious. The President is an elected President. Currently, he is our President.
The First Governor of Nasarawa State, Senator Abdullahi
Adamu, foresees a prolonged crisis arising from the plot by some members of the State Assembly to impeach Governor Umaru Tanko Al-Makura. He has therefore cautioned them to have a rethink and avoid being conned by fifth columnists who do not wish the state well.
Adamu, in a letter to the Assembly said that given the heterogeneous nature of the state and the recent sectarian upheavals there, nothing should be done to further rubbish the image of the state.
“Permit me to remind you that we in this young state cannot afford the luxury that people in states that were created 30, 40 or more years ago would afford. I therefore wish to appeal to our sense of reason, to reflect and ponder deeply over the ultimate implications of taking our young state through an unpredictable path,” he said.
“As the popular saying goes, ‘Discretion is the better part of valour’. While you ponder on these few words of mine, I also urge all of you to listen to the voices of those who elected you. All of us in high and low positions of leadership in the state owe it to our people to do all we can to save our dear state from an ill wind that blows no one any good. You are advised!” he added.
Oyo State Governor Abiola Ajimobi has said his administration
will establish a radio station in Oyo town. Ajimobi spoke at the weekend during his visit to the town.
The governor was received by the Alaafin of Oyo, Oba Lamidi Adeyemi. The governor and the Alaafin later proceeded to the Ansar-Ud-Deen Central Mosque for the Jumat prayer.
In his sermon, the Chief Imam, Alhaji Mukail Mobolaji, eulogised the governor for his transformation agenda.
Ajimobi said: ’’Alaafin remains not only the pillar of my success, the paramount ruler’s un-relentless, sincere and rare support for me and my administration has been a source of inspiration and stimulant in governance.’’ Adding that his administration would establish Atiba radio station and rehabilitate the Erelu Water Works.
Enugu: Court Remands Siblings For Alleged Murder Of Makeup Artiste
An Enugu State High Court, presided by Justice I. K. Okpe yesterday remanded two siblings allegedly involved in the murder of makeup artiste, Ijeoma Nneke, in Enugu Correctional Center.
The prosecuting counsel, Mrs Ngozi Ikem-Okoye. informed the court that the prosecution also had an application that sought the leave of the court to call additional witnesses in the matter.
However, the defence counsel, Mr C. U. Okafor, in response, said that the application was unnecessary as the accused had yet to take pleas.
Okafor held that the case was not yet before the court, adding that the prosecution did not seem to be ready to prosecute the case.
Delivering judgment, Okpe adjourned the case until August 25 for ruling on the application to call additional witnesses.
Recall that the two siblings were alleged to have conspired to kill Ijeoma on November 11, 2020, at 66 Ozubulu Street, Independence Layout, Enugu.
They were also alleged to have killed the victim by forcing her to drink poisonous substances and thereafter poured acid all over her body.
Court Criticises DSS Over Failure To Produce Detained Igboho’s Aides
A Federal High Court, Abuja, yesterday criticised the Department of State Services (DSS) over failure to produce in court the 12 persons arrested at the residence of Yoruba nation’s agitator, Sunday Adeyemo, popularly known as Sunday Igboho.
Justice Obiora Egwuatu, in a ruling, also ordered the DSS to produce the applicants in court in the next adjourned date.
The Tide learnt that Justice Egwuatu had, on July 23, ordered the DSS to produce the detainees in court yesterday.
The order followed a fundamental right enforcement suit that the lawyers to the detained applicants, Pelumi Olajengbesi, filed on their behalf, pursuant to Section 32(1) and (2) of the Administration of Criminal Justice Act (ACJA) as well as Sections 6(6), 35 and 36 of 1999 Constitution, as amended.
The 12 persons, who had been in the DSS detention since July 2, are; Abdullateef Ofeyagbe, Amoda Babatunde (Aka Lady K), Tajudeen Erinoyen, Diakola Ademola, Abideen Shittu, and Jamiu Noah.
Others are Ayobami Donald, Adelabe Usman, Oluwafelumi Kunle, Raji Kazeem, Taiwo Opeyemi and Bamidele Sunday.
The Tide source reports that the DSS had, on July 1, confirmed that its operatives stormed Igboho’s home in Ibadan, arrested about 13 suspects; including a female and 12 males.
It also disclosed that two people were killed in the raid.
However, at the resumed hearing yesterday, Counsel to the DSS, I. Awo, informed the court that the applicants could not be brought because the service procured an order to hold the detainees.
Awo based the absence of the 12 detainees on the grounds that investigations into the circumstances that led to their arrest at Mr Igboho’s home were ongoing.
He hinted that of the 12 detainees on the court’s order, only three were being held by the DSS.
The lawyer listed the three detainees in the DSS custody to include: Amoda Babatunde (Aka Lady K), Diakola Ademola and Bamidele Sunday.
Reacting, Olajengbesi, urged the court to reject the service’s explanation as it was in contempt of the court’s order.
“The apparent affront on the authority of the court by the DSS cannot be justified,” the applicants’ lawyer argued.
He urged the court to discountenance the purported detention order that was procured by the DSS, arguing that it was not a Certified True Copy (CTC).
The lawyer prayed the court to admit his clients to bail.
Olajengbesi also informed the court that he had been denied access to his client, and urged the court to make an order in that regard.
Ruling, Egwuatu charged the DSS to purge itself of such a negative public perception as it did not paint a good picture of Nigeria before the international community.
He then ordered the security outfit to produce the detainees and show cause why they should not be granted bail.
“An order is hereby made directing the respondent (DSS) to allow the applicants’ counsel have access to the applicants, and the respondents are ordered to produce the applicants on the next adjourned date,” he said.
He adjourned the matter until August 2 for continuation of hearing.
Anambra Poll: Obi, Ozigbo Beg PDP Stakeholders To Unite For Victory
Former governor of Anambra State, Mr Peter Obi and one of the two factional governorship candidates of the Peoples Democratic Party, PDP, Mr Valentine Ozigbo, have begged stakeholders and members of the party to unite for easy victory during the November 6 election in the state.
Obi and Ozigbo spoke yesterday in Awka, during a reconciliation meeting of the party, which was summoned by Ozigbo to reunite members of the party, after the rancour caused by the holding of two primary elections by the party on June 26, which produced Ozigbo and Senator Ugochukwu Uba.
Obi, while speaking at the meeting called on everyone to come together and work for the victory of the party in the forthcoming governorship election, saying that the primary was over and should be done with.
“I’m ready to beg all the aspirants for us to win the election. This candidate must win this election and we will not run away in our State because of anyone. I will win my local government and that is my assurance, nothing will stop us from winning the governorship election. Anambra must not go back to what it used to be.
“PDP has the best candidate for this election and we are going to win it, we have a formidable candidate and we need a formidable team to win it. I’m committed to PDP 24 hours and the party’s governors in the country are committed to winning the Anambra State election. It is our own election and we will win it,” the former governor said.
Ozigbo, in his address, reeled out the efforts he had made in reconciling every member and aspirants but regretted that the litigations in the party had held it down, adding that the party’s legal team was not relenting in evacuating the obstacles.
“I didn’t win the primary, but PDP and Anambra won. We’re one family but we are going to unite soon. Our enemies are not within, but outside PDP. PDP is a platform that will bring Igbo together, nobody should weave in what is happening now. We’re going to occupy the government house by the grace of God.
“The major reason for the gathering is to thank you for what you did and thank you for what you will do in the coming days because the real battle is coming. We are not celebrating because the real celebration will come on November 6. There’s a need for us to go into the governorship battle as a united family.
“I’ve visited my co-aspirants and I received positive vibes from Senator Uche Ekwunife, Hon Chris Azubogu, Dr Obiora Okonkwo, Dr Godwin Maduka, Mr Godwin Ezeemo and others.
“What I want to tell you now is that every other party in this State is counterfeit from APGA to APC to YPP and that is why I’m begging all our stakeholders to have faith in me and I won’t disappoint them.
“They should forgive and forget and I’m ready to make every sacrifice for all of us to come together. We want to make the founder of PDP, late Dr Alex Ekwueme, proud whereever he is and that’s the assurance I gave the daughter, lady Chidi Onyemelukwe, when we spoke before the meeting.
- Sports5 days ago
Sports Minister Hails Anyanacho,Offiong
- Editorial5 days ago
Party Defections Taken Too Far
- Opinion5 days ago
Growing Menace Of Campus Prostitution
- Politics5 days ago
PDP’ll Participate In Anambra Guber Poll – Chieftain
- Politics5 days ago
INEC Commences Physical CVR In Rivers
- Sports5 days ago
Eguma Laments Rivers United’s Tight Fixtures
- Nation5 days ago
Enugu Youths Hail Ugwuanyi’s Governance Style
- Politics5 days ago
2023: Group Insists On S’ South Presidency