Despite the public holiday declared by the Adamawa
State Governor, Admiral Murtala Nyako (retd.), the seven-man panel set up by the outgoing Acting Chief Judge, Justice Ambrose Mammadi, began sitting in Yola last Monday.
Though the public holiday was to cover Monday and Tuesday but members of the panel commenced sitting at the popular Hotel J&J Holiday Villa in Yola, the state capital, amid tight security provided by both land and air troops.
When the governor announced the public holiday on Sunday, he said the period would be devoted to prayers by the citizens and civil servants in view of the insecurity in the state but many had believed the move was to stave off the impeachment process against him.
Mammadi had last Friday set up the panel to investigate allegations of gross misconduct levelled against the governor and his deputy, Mr. James Ngilari. The acting CJ set up the investigative panel as requested by the Adamawa State House of Assembly.
Troops have taken the battle to Boko Haram insurgents,
destroying their bases in Balmo Forest, the Defence Headquarters (DHQ) said yesterday. Balmo is on the fringes of Sambisa Forest where over 200 Chibok girls are believed to be in captivity.
The military also confirmed that 44 insurgents were killed in encounters with troops in Kerenoa. The Director of Defence Information, Maj.-Gen. Chris Olukolade, in a statement in Abuja, said the encounters between troops and the insurgents occurred at the weekend.
The statement said: “Troops have cleared and taken over Balmo Forest in a military operation that lasted throughout the weekend. Prior to the operation, Balmo Forest, stretching from Bauchi through Jigawa states, with links to the fringes of Sambisa Forest, was used by terrorists as bases and hideouts for launching attacks.
“Terrorists and armed gangs operating in the forests were completely routed out while some were captured during the operation. Among those captured were two foreigners who are suspected to be mercenaries. Also captured are several weapons and equipment, including power generating sets, communication equipment, vehicles, motorcycles, foodstuff and kitchen utensils.” It added.
Primary school teachers in Benue State, last Monday,
resumed classes after nine months of strike.
Our source who went round some public primary schools in the capital city of Makurdi also learnt that pupils abandoned classes. Teachers who resumed work sat in groups to share their experiences during the prolonged strike.
Speaking on their resumption, the head teachers of the visited schools, Mrs Esther Zaaya, Rebecca Yugh and Laadi Ngbegha respectively expressed optimism that the pupils might turn up before the week runs out.
The chairman of Parents/Teachers Association (PTA), CAC Nursery/Primary School, Wadata, Samson Oga, said he and other members had been going around to sensitise parents to ensure that their children/wards returned to school.
Nigerian police recently uncovered a plot to bomb a
secondary school in the restive northeastern city of Gombe by defusing a car laden with explosives that had been abandoned there, a spokesman said.
Police bomb experts found 12 improvised explosives concealed in a car that was abandoned on the premises of the state-run Pilot Secondary School, following a tip-off, Fwaje Attajiri told newsmen.”Our ordnance experts discovered 12 IEDs (improvised explosive devices) in the trunk of the car left in the vicinity of the school after we were alerted,” he said.
“The explosives had the capacity of causing maximum damage and would have caused huge casualty had they detonated in the school with a high student population,” he said.
Attajiri said an investigation had been launched to establish who was behind the foiled attack, refusing to say if Boko Haram Islamists can be blamed.Boko Haram, which means Western education is forbidden in local Hausa, has carried out deadly attacks on schools in the volatile northeast as part of a five-year insurgency aimed at establishing an Islamic state in the north.
Kaduna State Deputy Governor, Nuhu Bajoga, has said
no opposition party, including, the All Progressives Congress (APC), can win governorship and other elections in the state in 2015, saying the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) will sweep all elections in the state in 2015.
The deputy governor., who stated this at the weekend in Kwoi, Jaba Local Government Area of the state, during the party’s stakeholders’ meeting, said no opposition could challenge the PDP in the state.
He said despite moves by the new opposition party to obstruct the growing influence of the PDP, the ruling party had strategised on the modalities to counter the opposition.
He pointed out that the feat recorded by PDP since the return of democracy would be repeated because the party had remained the same since it was formed about 16 years ago.
At least six persons, including a pregnant woman, were
crushed to death in an auto crash that occurred at Agbala junction area of Ibadan in Egbeda Local Government Area of Oyo State, recently.
Three vehicles were said to be involved in the accident that occurred some minutes past 7am.Although, the Federal Road Safety Commission, FRSC, confirmed that three people, including a woman died, eyewitnesses said there were six casualties. There were also four people, including a child, who were seriously injured.
The accident happened on the ever-busy Ife Ibadan Road when a commercial car, with number plate, YNF 963 AA, reportedly crossed the road unexpectedly while the on coming vehicles ran into it.Confirming the accident, Mr. Abiodun Akinlade, the Egbeda Unit Commander of the FRSC said:
“The accident happened around 7:30 am on Ife Ibadan road at Agbala junction. It involved three vehicles, including Nissan Micra with number plate.
Some traditional rulers from Osun State have given
reasons why Oduduwa State must be listed among the 19 states recommended by the National Conference for creation by the Federal Government.
The proposed states listed by the conference to be created are Aba, from the present Abia State, Katagum from Bauchi State, Ijebu from Ogun State, Amana from former Sardauna Province, Apa from Benue State, Anioma State from Delta State, Savannah from Borno, Etiti from South-East, Njaba/Anim from Anambra and Imo States, Gurara from Kaduna, Ghari from Kano State, Adada, New Oyo from Oyo State, Orachi from Rivers State, Ogoja from Cross River State and Kanji from Kebbi and Niger States.
But the traditional rulers, in their memo to the leadership of the conference, said it would amount to injustice if states were created in the country without acceding to their demand.
Academic and commercial activities at Rufus
Giwa Polytechnic, Owo (RUGIPO) and the entire Owo town were halted following a protest by students of the institution over hike in school fees.
It was gathered that the students resolved to protest the conditions attached to writing exams and the recent unified test introduced by the management of the institution, after a students’ union stakeholders meeting held last Sunday.
Following the new fees introduced by the management, full time students, who are natives are expected to pay over N60,000, non-natives are to pay over 70,000, while newly admitted students are expected to pay over 90,000.
It was learnt that the management had directed that the students should commence a unified test effective from yesterday with the condition that only students who had paid their school fees would be allowed to write the test.
The development, however, provoked the students, who took to the streets yesterday morning, blocking the institution’s gate and preventing lecturers and other members of staff from gaining entry into the school premises.
The Sultan of Sokoto, Alhaji Muhammad Sa’ad
Abubakar III, said politicians were the main problem of Nigeria, stressing that the rising violence in the country had been caused by the undue struggle by politicians to position themselves ahead of the 2015 elections.
Speaking during a chat with reporters at a Ramadan dinner held in his palace in Sokoto Sunday night, the monarch maintained that the rising wave of violence and wanton killing of innocent citizens was geared towards the 2015 elections.
He pointed out that the incessant killing of innocent citizens was all politics, saying politicians were behind the myriad of problems ravaging the country.
“We are shedding too much blood of innocent Nigerians and God will not be pleased with us when we keep on shedding innocent blood because their cries mean a lot,” he said.
He said Nigerians must put aside their religion and ethnicity and come together to tackle the problems of the country.
NDLEA Arrests Doctor, Ex-Soldier For Dealing In Drugged Cookies, Cocaine
The operatives of the National Drug Law Enforcement Agency (NDLEA) have arrested a medical doctor, Jane Chioma Ofoma, in Auchi, Edo, for selling drugged cookies and biscuits.
Its Director, Media and Advocacy, Mr Femi Babafemi, said in a statement yesterday in Abuja, that Chioma sold the drugged cookies and biscuits through an online catering service, Omachi’s kitchen.
Babafemi said the arrest followed intelligence and surveillance where narcotic officers of the Edo Command of the agency on Saturday June 19, stormed her operational base at 1 Winners Way, Auchi.
This, he said, led to her arrest and at least 94 pieces of cookies produced with cannabis sativa were recovered from the suspect.
According to him, Chioma, 26, who is a graduate of medicine from the University of Nigeria, Nsukka, recently completed her housemanship at the University of Benin Teaching Hospital.
“She has confessed to baking the cookies with skunk in her statement while under interrogation,” he said.
In the same vein, Babafemi said a 30-year-old Emmanuel Ehiramhen, of No. 10 Egan Street Ekpoma, has been arrested by officers of the Edo Command of the agency for dealing in crack cocaine.
Meanwhile, NDLEA operatives in Kwara have arrested a 52-year-old ex-Soldier, Ibrahim Musa, with 12.167 kilograms of Arizona (cannabis sativa), 4 grams of Cocaine and 25 grams of flunitrazepam.
Babafemi said the suspect was apprehended on Thursday June 17, at Oke-Odo, Tanke area of Ilorin, when he arrived from Lagos to supply his customers.
He said Musa worked in the maintenance department at Abati Army Barracks, Lagos from where he was deployed to 117 Battalion in Chibok, Borno, before he deserted the Army.
He added that the suspect had arrived Ilorin with his wife, Basirat Musa, in his Honda Accord car with registration number JJ 707 BL Lagos with the seized exhibit.
He was, however, arrested at the point of delivery by operatives of the Kwara Command of the agency.
“Under interrogation, Ibrahim revealed that while at Chibok he got the connection of a supplier of Arizona (Cannabis) and other drugs in Lagos who he immediately contacted when he deserted the Army in October 2020.
“He said he decided to go into the illicit drug business to enable him fend for his two wives and three children.
“The suspect revealed that the latest journey was his second trip to Ilorin to deliver the drugs and decided to travel with one of his wives who was not aware of his mission to Ilorin,” he said.
Babafemi quoted the Chairman, NDLEA, retired Brig. Gen. Buba Marwa as commending the Edo and Kwara Commands of the agency for their vigilance and commitment to the goal of ridding Nigeria of the menace of illicit drug trafficking and abuse.
He charged the Commanders, officers and men of the two Commands and their counterparts across the country not to relent in the discharge of their responsibilities.
He assured them of his commitment towards making their welfare a priority.
13 Vehicles Burnt In Tanker Explosion On Lagos-Ibadan Expressway
The Federal Road Safety Corps (FRSC) says six tankers, five trucks and two cars were destroyed in a tanker explosion at Ogere on the Lagos-Ibadan Expressway yesterday.
Earlier, FRSC Sector Commander in Ogun, Mr Ahmed Umar, confirmed the incident to The Tide source, saying that it occurred at about 6.20 a.m.
Umar had said the explosion occurred in front of Romona trailer park on the expressway.
Giving update, he said, “the fire is serious, six tankers, five trucks and two cars are burnt in the explosion.’’
Umar said that one person had so far been rescued and taken to a private hospital in Ogere.
Meanwhile, the Ogun State Traffic Compliance and Enforcement Corps (TRACE), has advised motorists plying the road to use alternative routes.
TRACE spokesman, Mr Babatunde Akinbiyi explained that the tanker which was laden with fuel suddenly burst into flames affecting other vehicles.
“Vehicles moving inbound Lagos should go through Saapade-Ode/Remo-Iperu-Sagamu to relink Lagos-Ibadan Expressway.
“In addition, vehicles moving inbound Ibadan should also go through Sagamu-Iperu-Ode/Remo-Saapade to relink Lagos-Ibadan Expressway,’’ Akinbiyi said.
The incident was the fifth of such tragedies involving fuel tankers in the Lagos and Ogun State axis since the beginning of the year.
A similar fuel tanker-related fire was recorded on Jan. 7 on the Apapa-Oshodi Expressway.
On March 21, a fuel tanker was the cause of fire on Otedola Bridge, also on the Lagos-Ibadan Expressway in which many vehicles were burnt.
On March 25, a diesel-laden tanker went up in flames at the Ikotun area of Lagos, leading to the incineration of other vehicles and shops.
On June 17, fire from the kitchen of a Chinese restaurant at the Ogun State Property Investments Corporation (OPIC) Plaza in Lagos trailed a leaking gas truck which was on motion in the area.
This resulted in a fire snowball which engulfed many other vehicles and property.
Twenty-five cars were destroyed in the OPIC Plaza inferno, while 13 persons, mostly workers in the restaurant, sustained burn injuries.
S’ East Leaders Denounce Secessionist Groups …Seek Protection Of Igbos
Leaders of the South East geo-political zone have urged leaders of other geo-political zones in the country to protect Igbos living in their regions, even as they condemned in totality the activities of violent secessionist groups in the zone and elsewhere.
The lgbo leaders comprising the governors of the five states, members of the National Assembly, Ministers, Speakers of the State Houses of Assembly, the Clergy and Traditional Rulers, made their feelings known on Saturday, in a communique issued when they rose from a closed-door meeting at the Government House, Enugu.
Explaining that they made the request in view of what they described as “threats by some groups against our people”, the South East leaders promised to protect everyone, including Igbos and people from other regions, residing in the zone.
On the impression that South East leaders are silent over agitations for secession by some youths of the region, they stated that “is not correct”, stressing that “South East Governors, Ohaneze President, National Assembly members, notable leaders had come out publicly many times in the past to speak against such agitations”.
Proclaiming firmly that “we do not support them, they do not speak for South East”, the communiqué read by the Governor of Ebonyi State and Chairman of South East Governors’ Forum, Engr. David Umahi, made it clear that the leaders of the zone reiterated their “commitment to one united Nigeria under a platform of justice, equality of rights, fairness, love and respect for one another”.
The communiqué revealed that South East leaders, in order not to mismanage the unfortunate situation, “have set up a committee to engage such youths to stop and allow elders speak to address such fears”.
It added that South East leaders also condemned the killing of security agents, burning of strategic infrastructure and killing of civilians in South East and in other regions, and requested the security agencies to discharge their duties within the rules of engagement and the law
They, however, explained that the meeting was held “for articulation of our positions and further meet with the Presidential team”, sequel to the earlier meeting with the Presidential delegation, led by the Minister of Defence, Retired Maj. Gen. Bashir Magashi, on June 11, 2021.
The communiqué disclosed that the meeting consequently “set up committees under Ohaneze Ndigbo to articulate and address our positions on all burning issues to further meet among ourselves and thereafter meet with the Presidential team”.
On the safety of the Igbo indigenes in other parts of the country and the newly established regional security outfit, the communiqué added that the “meeting directed our Governors and Ohaneze Ndigbo to liaise with indigenes from the northern part of Nigeria and indigenes of other regions to assure the nation, Nigeria, and their people of their safety in South East.
“The meeting endorsed our South East joint security outfit – Ebubeagu and asked them to work with security agencies and to respect the rights and privileges of all those living in the South East and our visitors”.
By: Canice Amadi, Enugu
- Sports3 days ago
Okagbare Sets New Record At Olympic Trials
- Featured2 days ago
APC’s Ploy To Ban, Regulate Social Media, Hypocritical, Wike Affirms
- Oil & Energy3 days ago
Buhari Thumbs Up For NLNG As NNPC Reviews Activities
- Politics17 hours ago
APC: C’River LP Disowns Decampees
- Oil & Energy3 days ago
Total Nigeria Advocates Petroleum Subsidy Removal
- Sports3 days ago
Hooliganism Won’t Be Tolerated At Match Venues – NFF
- Sports3 days ago
Dettol Becomes Official Hygiene Partner Of S’Eagles
- Politics3 days ago
Okorocha Cautions Igbos On Secession