The supporters of Sanusi Ado Bayero, the son of the late Emir of Kano, who was defeated by Sanusi Lamido Sanusi to emerge the Emir of the ancient city, yesterday took to the streets to protest the rejection of their preferred candidate.
A resident of the town, Ibrahim Hamisu, said that the protesters set up bonfires using tyres around the Emirs’ palace.
He also said another group of protesters, who were marching to the Government House, were stopped by armed soldiers and policemen who formed a barricade to stop them from getting near the seat of government.
Another resident, Bala Usman, said the protesters were also destroying all government properties in sight.
The Secretary to the Government of Kano State, Rabi’u Bichi, had earlier announced the selection of Sanusi Lamido Sanusi as the new emir of Kano following his recommendation by the kingmakers and approval by Governor Rabiu Kwankwaso.
Bichi made the brief announcement at Government House, Kano, yesterday.
He disclosed that the government chose Sanusi’s out of three candidates forwarded to him by Kano kingmakers.
“Under state customary law, the kingmakers comprising the Madaki, Sarkin Bai, Makaman and Sarkin Dawaki Maituta had sat down and forwarded three names to the government to choose the one that will succeed the Late Emir Ado Abdullahi Bayero.
“Out of these three names the government has approved Sanusi Lamido Sanusi, the Dan Majen Kano, and former Governor of Central Bank of Nigeria, CBN, as the new emir of Kano,” the SSG said.
The SSG was accompanied to the briefing by the kingmakers which include the Sarkin Dawaki Maituta, Bello Abubakar; the Sarkin Bai, Mukhtar Adnan; the Makama, Sarki Ibrahim and the Madaki, Yusuf Nabahani Ibrahim.
The state commissioners of information and state affairs, Abubakar Danburam and Aminu Abdulsalam were also in attendance.
A source at the Emirate council said the supporters of Mr. Bayero were protesting because they felt shortchanged.
“Earlier in the day, message came to the Prince while he was at the palace receiving condolences that he needed to go and get set for turbanning in case he was the one selected, so, many of his supporters followed him to his private residence and most of them assumed that he must have been selected since he was getting set for turbanning,” our source said.
“Unknown to many, both nominees were required to be ready whether they will eventually be selected or not, but many misconstrued the order and were shocked when Sanusi Lamido was eventually announced and they are the ones protesting now.”
Meanwhile, a former Minister of the Federal Capital Territory, Nasir El-Rufai, yesterday jeered at associates of President Goodluck Jonathan and the Peoples Democratic Party over the appointment of a former Governor of the Central Bank of Nigeria, Lamido Sanusi, as the new emir of the powerful Kano emirate.
“Alhamdulillah. The best man has won,” Mr. El-Rufai said on his twitter handle at about 4:45 p.m., moments after the Kano state Government named Mr. Sanusi the successor to Emir Ado Bayero who died on Friday.
“SLS (Sanusi Lamido Sanusi) is the Emir of Kano. Jonathanians can go jump into the lagoon.”
El-Rufai had in a post on his Facebook page an hour earlier (before the official announcement was made) carpeted the national leadership of the Peoples Democratic Party for prematurely congratulating Mr. Sanusi’s rival, Sunusi Ado Bayero, as the new emir even when a successor to the late Ado Bayero had not been named.
“The PDP out of fear and hatred of my brother SLS (Sanusi Lamido Sanusi) began circulating the falsehood that someone else had been appointed Emir of Kano,” Mr. El-Rufai fumed.
“Then they congratulated the Emir that had not been selected by the constituted authority. Earlier, they had enlisted several PDP sympathiser-traditional rulers to put pressure on Governor Kwankawaso to discourage him from selecting SLS, who was recommended on merit among the aspirants by the kingmakers.
“May the Almighty Allah Guide Governor Kwankwaso in choosing a wise and honest leader that will build on the legacy of Late Ado Bayero. In my opinion, that person is my brother SLS. But that is my opinion only which I am entitled.
“They have now withdrawn their false and contrived congratulations. PDP represents all that is evil and wrong about our nation. May Allah separate Nigeria from this evil, divisive and poverty-inducing party.”
The Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) had yesterday disassociated itself from a congratulatory message the party sent out with reference to the initial false and unverified news that Alhaji Sanusi Lamido Ado Bayero emerged as the new Emir of Kano.
Special Assistant to the party’s National Publicity Secretary, Chief Olisa Metuh, Mr. Richard Ihediwa had issued a congratulatory message on behalf of his boss and the PDP after it was learnt that Sanusi L. A. Bayero had been announced as the new Emir.
But the news, however, turned out to be false as the former CBN governor, Sanusi Lamido Sanusi was actually declared the Emir of Kano by the kingmakers of the emirate.
Distancing himself from the message, Metuh described it as an “embarrassment” and without approval.
UBEC, RSUBEB Begin Digital School Construction In Rivers
As part of government’s efforts to realize its dream of making the nation’s educational system a global digital community, the Federal Government, through the Universal Basic Education Commission (UBEC) and the Rivers State Universal Basic Education Board (RSUBEB), have commenced the construction of a modern digital Smart Basic School in the state, with 14-month completion schedule.
The school, which is a pilot modern basic education facility, is designed by UBEC in collaboration with RSUBEB to entrench digitization of ICT-driven basic education system across the 36 states and FCT, Abuja.
Speaking with journalists at a brief handover ceremony of the proposed smart school site to UBEC by RSUBEB at the Community Primary School, Uzuoba in Obio/Akpor Local Government Area of the state, over the weekend, the National Consultant, UBEC Smart School Project, Prof Masud Abdulkarim, said the school was designed to incorporate digital technology into the basic education system in the country, which he said, has been in practice in advanced countries for years.
Abdulkarim stated that the desire of the Federal Government was to ensure that Nigerian children were not left out in the digital space, saying that the school would have great impact on the youth and give them equal opportunity to compete globally in the technology world.
He described the school as the first of its kind in the history of the country, adding that the school would have four categories that would take care of the nursery, handicapped, primary as well as junior secondary students with a maximum of 35 persons per class of two streams.
Abdulkarim noted that with the strategy, no fewer than 700 children would be enrolled into the school.
According to him, the school would afford the children the opportunity to become robotic engineers, artificial intelligence (AI) engineers and ICT engineers, and added that as future leaders, they need to be equipped and encouraged.
The UBEC consultant commended the state government for the provision of the school for the construction of the smart school, and described the site as the most suitable across the 23 states so far visited.
“Let me thank the RSUBEB for the site, in fact, it is the best and most suitable site among the 23 states we have so far visited. Because it has an existing school structure with a fence to protect our equipment and infrastructure. Moreso, the project will impact on the schools around because they will benefit from our Wi-Fi”, he stated.
Abdulkarim called on the host community to jealously guard the project as a growing child, till its maturity to adult stage, saying that they were important stakeholders in the project.
Also speaking on behalf of the Chairman of Rivers State Universal Basic Education Board (RSUBEB), Ven Fyneface Akah, a commissioner in the board, Chief Faith Amaso, called for synergy between the contractors and host community in other to remove every impediment that may affect the delivery of the project on schedule.
Akah opined that the project, when completed, would improve basic education in the state, and expressed happiness over the commencement of the project in the state.
Rivers United Beat Young Africans Of Tanzania 1-0
Rivers United Football Club of Port Harcourt, yesterday, at the Adokiye Amasiemaka Football Stadium, trounced the Young Africans Football Club of Tanzania 1-0 in a return leg match of the ongoing Confederation of African Football Club Champions League competition.
The stadium, which was filled to capacity, witnessed a trilling encounter, which saw the crowd craving for more.
It would be recalled that Rivers United had defeated the Young Africans of Tanzania 1-0 in the first leg of the championship at the Benjamin Mkapa Stadium, Dar-es-Salaam, Tanzania, last Sunday.
Reacting to the feat, the Chairman of Degema Local Government Area, Hon. Michael John Williams, expressed joy over the victory of the Rivers United FC of Port Harcourt against the Young Africans of Tanzania in the ongoing Confederation of African Football (CAF) Champions League.
The match, which ended 1-0 in favour of the Rivers United FC, took place at the Adokiye Amiesimaka International Stadium in Rivers State, yesterday.
Top government officials in the state, including Rivers Deputy Governor, Dr. Ipalibo Harry Banigo; LG council chairmen and commissioners, amongst other sports enthusiasts, graced the event.
Speaking on the outcome of the match, Williams stated that the Rivers United players exhibited the Rivers team spirit, which culminated in their victory.
The political heavyweight in Degema LGA, noted that nothing would be impossible for Rivers people to achieve when they work together in unison and firm determination.
He added that the massive support and huge investment in the sports sector by the Governor Nyesom Wike administration, also motivated the Rivers team, who worked hard to secure a back-to-back victory.
By: Nelson Chukwudi
NJC Okays Six Chief Judges, 30 Others For Appointment
The National Judicial Council (NJC), has recommended the appointment of chief judges and 30 others as judicial officers to beef up judicial functions in some states and the Federal Capital Territory (FCT).
At its 95th meeting held on September 15 and 16, 2021, the council considered the list of candidates presented by its Interview Committee, and recommended the 36 successful candidates to their respective state governors for appointment as heads of courts and other judicial officers in Nigeria.
They are Hon. Justice Richard O. Olorunfemi as chief judge, Kogi State, Hon. Justice Joe Itsebaga Acha for Edo, Hon. Justice Akintoroye Williams Akin for Ondo, Hon. Justice Husseini Baba Yusuf for FCT, Hon. Justice Ekaette Francesca Fabian-Obot for Akwa Ibom, and Hon. Justice J. O. Adeyeye for Ekiti State.
Others are Hon. Kadi Baba Gana Mahdi as Grand Kadi, Yobe; Umaru Ahmad Liman as Grand Kadi, Bauchi; Hon. Justice Osagede Osado Emmanuel as President, Customary Court of Appeal, Nasarawa; Hon. Justice Mashud Akintunde Akinfemi Abass as President, Customary Court of Appeal, Oyo State; and Siyaka Momoh Jimoh Usman as President, Customary Court of Appeal, Kogi State.
Three judges are recommended for High Court of Gombe, and they are Zainab Abdulkadir Rasheed, Abdussalam Muhammad, and Daurabo Suleiman Sikka.
Akwa Ibom has Effiong Asukwo Effiong; Bauchi has Nana Fatima Jibril; while Kaduna High Court has Abdulkarim Mahmud.
The three candidates recommended for Katsina State are Kabir Shuaibu, Ibrahim Ishaku Mashi, and Ibrahim Abubakar Mande, while Prof Alero Akeredolu was recommended for Ondo State.
Four successful candidates for Oyo State are Olusola Adebisi Adetujoye, Folabimpe Beatrice Segun Olakojo, Prof Taiwo Elijah Adewale, and Kareem Adeyimika Adedokun.
Kogi State has three candidates, and they are Abubakar Sule Ibrahim, Abdullah Sulyman, as well as Aminu Ali Eri.
Two Kadis for Sharia Court of Appeal are Adamu Kuna Jibril and Ahmed Baba Bala, while the four for Bauchi are Musa Sani Abubakar, Mahdi Manga, Khamis Al-Hamidallah Muhammad and Sani Musa with Ondo State having one in the person of Orimisan James Okorisa and Oyo Customary Court of Appeal having Ajadi Olubukola Omolayo.
A statement by the NJC Director of Information, Mr Soji Oye, and released in Abuja, yesterday, said that all the recommended candidates are expected to be sworn-in after approval by President Muhammadu Buhari, and their respective state governors, and confirmation by the respective state Houses of Assembly.
- Sports4 days ago
Aisha Buhari Cup: FIFA, CAF Presidents Grace Kick-Off, Falcons Win 2-0
- Sports4 days ago
Youth Basketball Festival Has Discovered Talents – Coach
- Editorial4 days ago
That Desecration Of NDA
- Politics4 days ago
Perspective On NASS 2% Budget Spending
- Niger Delta4 days ago
Jonathan Wants NARD To Suspend Strike
- Niger Delta4 days ago
C’River LG Staff Protest Unpaid Salaries
- Sports4 days ago
Former Kenya’s Minister Pays Fine, Skips Jail
- Rivers4 days ago
KYC Alleges Sabotage Over Trans Kalabari Road