Dry season farmers in Gamawa Local Govern
ment Area of Bauchi State have commended the member representing Madaki Gololo (PDP-Gamawa) for providing inputs to his constituents.
The Chairman, Rice Famers Association of Nigeria (RIFAN) in the area, Malam Abdullahi Usman gave the commendation in an interview with newsmen in Bauchi.
“Our farmers are interested in dry season farming, but the issue of inputs has remained our greatest challenge.
“We cried out to the member and he supported us with 187 irrigation water pumps and also dug 187 wash-bows in various clusters across the local government area.’’
Bishop Nathan Inyom of the Anglican Commun
ion, Makurdi, Benue State, has called on the Federal Government to develop a peace policy to facilitate effective management of crises in the country.
The Bishop made the call in an interview with newsmen in Makurdi.
Inyom said that without a policy document detailing crises management of issues, it would be difficult to contain the recurring crises in the country.
A Nutritionist, Mrs Cecilia Dolapo, says people
who eat cashew fruits or nuts regularly are less likely to develop cancer-related diseases.
Dolapo said this in an interview with newsmen in Ido, Ido/Osi Local Government Area of Ekiti.
According to her, cashew nuts are ripe with proanthocyanidiusi, a class of flavanois that can starve tumour and stop cancer cells from dividing.
She said that the intake of the nut, which is kidney-shaped seed, was also good for people who want to lose weight.
Minister of State for Foreign Affairs 1, Prof.
Viola Onwuliri, and the Cuba’s Foreign Minister, Bruno Parilla, have pledged to work towards expanding economic and trade cooperation to attract tangible benefits to both countries.
The two ministers made the pledge while speaking in Abuja at a reception organised by Nigeria’s Foreign Ministry for the visiting Cuban Minister who concluded his four-day official visit to Nigeria recently.
Onwuliri said that economic cooperation was “heartening’’ because of the socio-economic reforms taking place simultaneously in both countries.
She suggested that priority should be given to cooperation in the areas of medicine, pharmacy and education in the renewed efforts to expand economic ties between both countries.
The Gumel Local Government Area of Jigawa
State says it has spent about N4 million on water equipment for the people of the area.
The council Chairman, Alhaji Alasan Babandi, made this known in an interview with newsmen in Gumel.
Babandi listed the equipment to include 17 submersible pumps, pipes and hand pumps, among others.
He said that the equipment had been installed at Galagamma, Dahiru Atta Primary School and Prison Quarters at Gumel town for utilisation.
A Kano State High Court has sentenced four per
sons to 84 years imprisonment for armed robbery.
Monday Joseph, Umar Adamu, Simon Chile and Mukhtar Adamu, were convicted for robbing A. A. Rano Tudun Wada filling station in 2012.
The convicts had in December 2012 attacked the Assistant Manager and some staff of the filling station, and carted away N2.68 million during the operation.
Delivering judgement recently, Justice Nura Sagir said that each of the convicts would serve 21 years in prison.
The Kebbi State Government says it will soon revive
its four moribund companies to attract investors and generate employment for the youth.
Chairman of the Committee on Resuscitation of Moribund Industries, Alhaji Usman Mhammed, made this known to newsmen in Birnin Kebbi.
According to him, the companies are Neem Seeds Processing Plant, Transformer Manufacturing Company and the Cassava Processing Plant.
He said modalities were being worked out to also revive the Kitchen Wares Factory.
The Chief Judge of Kogi State, Justice Nasir Ajanah,
has released four awaiting trial inmates and granted bail to one for unjust and illegal incarceration at the Medium Security Prison, Kabba.
The beneficiaries included Joseph Kashuwa, Safiu Lawal, Isiaka Mohammed and Mohammed Tambuyah while Mohammed Haruna was granted bail.
Ajanah said the continuous incarceration of Kashuwa was unjustifiable as the Director of Public Prosecution (DPP) had issued an advice for his release in November last year.
He said the DPP had said there was no prima facie case established against him.
A psychiatrist, Dr Peter Ogunnubi, has urged stake
holders in the health sector to tackle non-communicable diseases such as cancer and depression effectively.
Ogunnubi told newsmen in Lagos that by 2020, cancer would be the commonest non-communicable disease worldwide, followed by depression.
The psychiatrist who works at the Lagos University Teaching Hospital (LUTH), Idi-Araba, said that cases of depression in the country had been underreported.
“By 2020 cancer will be the foremost non-communicable disease followed by depression, the way we are going.
The National Orientation Agency (NOA) in
Nasarawa State, said it had deployed its staff to rural areas to sensitise people ahead of the March 22, local government elections in the state.
The acting state Director of NOA, Mr Elisha Iyakwari, told newsmen in Lafia that this was part of the agency’s preparatory efforts for free and peaceful local government polls in the state.
Iyakwari said the agency’s aim was to take the campaign to rural communities in the state to further re-orientate the people at the grassroots on the forthcoming polls.
”We have deployed our members of staff to villages, market squares to carryout voters education and to sensitise the people on their civic responsibility ahead of the Local Government polls.
An Osogbo Grade II Customary Court has dis
solved the 15-year-old marriage between Mutiat Asimiyu and her husband, Saheed over constant beating.
In his judgment, the President of the court, Chief Bolarinwa Popoola, dissolved the marriage and held that the marriage was problematic with accusations and counter accusations bordered on distrust.
“The court, hereby, dissolve the marriage in favour of the petitioner,” he held.
Popoola awarded custody of two children, aged 12 and 10 to the father, while custody of the four-year-old child was awarded to the petitioner.
A Chief Magistrates’ Court in Iseyin, Oyo State
has sentenced a middle-aged man, Ganiyu Saheed, to nine months in prison with hard labour for stealing from a widow.
Delivering judgment, the Chief Magistrate, Mrs Abiola Richard, sentenced Saheed, after he pleaded guilty.
Richard, who did not give the convict an option to pay a fine, said that the sentence would serve as deterrent to others who engaged in such nefarious acts in the society.
The prosecutor, Inspector Friday Sule, had on January 21, told the court that the convict committed the offence on December 4, 2013.
NDLEA Arrests Doctor, Ex-Soldier For Dealing In Drugged Cookies, Cocaine
The operatives of the National Drug Law Enforcement Agency (NDLEA) have arrested a medical doctor, Jane Chioma Ofoma, in Auchi, Edo, for selling drugged cookies and biscuits.
Its Director, Media and Advocacy, Mr Femi Babafemi, said in a statement yesterday in Abuja, that Chioma sold the drugged cookies and biscuits through an online catering service, Omachi’s kitchen.
Babafemi said the arrest followed intelligence and surveillance where narcotic officers of the Edo Command of the agency on Saturday June 19, stormed her operational base at 1 Winners Way, Auchi.
This, he said, led to her arrest and at least 94 pieces of cookies produced with cannabis sativa were recovered from the suspect.
According to him, Chioma, 26, who is a graduate of medicine from the University of Nigeria, Nsukka, recently completed her housemanship at the University of Benin Teaching Hospital.
“She has confessed to baking the cookies with skunk in her statement while under interrogation,” he said.
In the same vein, Babafemi said a 30-year-old Emmanuel Ehiramhen, of No. 10 Egan Street Ekpoma, has been arrested by officers of the Edo Command of the agency for dealing in crack cocaine.
Meanwhile, NDLEA operatives in Kwara have arrested a 52-year-old ex-Soldier, Ibrahim Musa, with 12.167 kilograms of Arizona (cannabis sativa), 4 grams of Cocaine and 25 grams of flunitrazepam.
Babafemi said the suspect was apprehended on Thursday June 17, at Oke-Odo, Tanke area of Ilorin, when he arrived from Lagos to supply his customers.
He said Musa worked in the maintenance department at Abati Army Barracks, Lagos from where he was deployed to 117 Battalion in Chibok, Borno, before he deserted the Army.
He added that the suspect had arrived Ilorin with his wife, Basirat Musa, in his Honda Accord car with registration number JJ 707 BL Lagos with the seized exhibit.
He was, however, arrested at the point of delivery by operatives of the Kwara Command of the agency.
“Under interrogation, Ibrahim revealed that while at Chibok he got the connection of a supplier of Arizona (Cannabis) and other drugs in Lagos who he immediately contacted when he deserted the Army in October 2020.
“He said he decided to go into the illicit drug business to enable him fend for his two wives and three children.
“The suspect revealed that the latest journey was his second trip to Ilorin to deliver the drugs and decided to travel with one of his wives who was not aware of his mission to Ilorin,” he said.
Babafemi quoted the Chairman, NDLEA, retired Brig. Gen. Buba Marwa as commending the Edo and Kwara Commands of the agency for their vigilance and commitment to the goal of ridding Nigeria of the menace of illicit drug trafficking and abuse.
He charged the Commanders, officers and men of the two Commands and their counterparts across the country not to relent in the discharge of their responsibilities.
He assured them of his commitment towards making their welfare a priority.
13 Vehicles Burnt In Tanker Explosion On Lagos-Ibadan Expressway
The Federal Road Safety Corps (FRSC) says six tankers, five trucks and two cars were destroyed in a tanker explosion at Ogere on the Lagos-Ibadan Expressway yesterday.
Earlier, FRSC Sector Commander in Ogun, Mr Ahmed Umar, confirmed the incident to The Tide source, saying that it occurred at about 6.20 a.m.
Umar had said the explosion occurred in front of Romona trailer park on the expressway.
Giving update, he said, “the fire is serious, six tankers, five trucks and two cars are burnt in the explosion.’’
Umar said that one person had so far been rescued and taken to a private hospital in Ogere.
Meanwhile, the Ogun State Traffic Compliance and Enforcement Corps (TRACE), has advised motorists plying the road to use alternative routes.
TRACE spokesman, Mr Babatunde Akinbiyi explained that the tanker which was laden with fuel suddenly burst into flames affecting other vehicles.
“Vehicles moving inbound Lagos should go through Saapade-Ode/Remo-Iperu-Sagamu to relink Lagos-Ibadan Expressway.
“In addition, vehicles moving inbound Ibadan should also go through Sagamu-Iperu-Ode/Remo-Saapade to relink Lagos-Ibadan Expressway,’’ Akinbiyi said.
The incident was the fifth of such tragedies involving fuel tankers in the Lagos and Ogun State axis since the beginning of the year.
A similar fuel tanker-related fire was recorded on Jan. 7 on the Apapa-Oshodi Expressway.
On March 21, a fuel tanker was the cause of fire on Otedola Bridge, also on the Lagos-Ibadan Expressway in which many vehicles were burnt.
On March 25, a diesel-laden tanker went up in flames at the Ikotun area of Lagos, leading to the incineration of other vehicles and shops.
On June 17, fire from the kitchen of a Chinese restaurant at the Ogun State Property Investments Corporation (OPIC) Plaza in Lagos trailed a leaking gas truck which was on motion in the area.
This resulted in a fire snowball which engulfed many other vehicles and property.
Twenty-five cars were destroyed in the OPIC Plaza inferno, while 13 persons, mostly workers in the restaurant, sustained burn injuries.
S’ East Leaders Denounce Secessionist Groups …Seek Protection Of Igbos
Leaders of the South East geo-political zone have urged leaders of other geo-political zones in the country to protect Igbos living in their regions, even as they condemned in totality the activities of violent secessionist groups in the zone and elsewhere.
The lgbo leaders comprising the governors of the five states, members of the National Assembly, Ministers, Speakers of the State Houses of Assembly, the Clergy and Traditional Rulers, made their feelings known on Saturday, in a communique issued when they rose from a closed-door meeting at the Government House, Enugu.
Explaining that they made the request in view of what they described as “threats by some groups against our people”, the South East leaders promised to protect everyone, including Igbos and people from other regions, residing in the zone.
On the impression that South East leaders are silent over agitations for secession by some youths of the region, they stated that “is not correct”, stressing that “South East Governors, Ohaneze President, National Assembly members, notable leaders had come out publicly many times in the past to speak against such agitations”.
Proclaiming firmly that “we do not support them, they do not speak for South East”, the communiqué read by the Governor of Ebonyi State and Chairman of South East Governors’ Forum, Engr. David Umahi, made it clear that the leaders of the zone reiterated their “commitment to one united Nigeria under a platform of justice, equality of rights, fairness, love and respect for one another”.
The communiqué revealed that South East leaders, in order not to mismanage the unfortunate situation, “have set up a committee to engage such youths to stop and allow elders speak to address such fears”.
It added that South East leaders also condemned the killing of security agents, burning of strategic infrastructure and killing of civilians in South East and in other regions, and requested the security agencies to discharge their duties within the rules of engagement and the law
They, however, explained that the meeting was held “for articulation of our positions and further meet with the Presidential team”, sequel to the earlier meeting with the Presidential delegation, led by the Minister of Defence, Retired Maj. Gen. Bashir Magashi, on June 11, 2021.
The communiqué disclosed that the meeting consequently “set up committees under Ohaneze Ndigbo to articulate and address our positions on all burning issues to further meet among ourselves and thereafter meet with the Presidential team”.
On the safety of the Igbo indigenes in other parts of the country and the newly established regional security outfit, the communiqué added that the “meeting directed our Governors and Ohaneze Ndigbo to liaise with indigenes from the northern part of Nigeria and indigenes of other regions to assure the nation, Nigeria, and their people of their safety in South East.
“The meeting endorsed our South East joint security outfit – Ebubeagu and asked them to work with security agencies and to respect the rights and privileges of all those living in the South East and our visitors”.
By: Canice Amadi, Enugu
- Sports3 days ago
Okagbare Sets New Record At Olympic Trials
- Featured3 days ago
APC’s Ploy To Ban, Regulate Social Media, Hypocritical, Wike Affirms
- Politics2 days ago
APC: C’River LP Disowns Decampees
- Oil & Energy3 days ago
Total Nigeria Advocates Petroleum Subsidy Removal
- Oil & Energy3 days ago
Buhari Thumbs Up For NLNG As NNPC Reviews Activities
- Sports2 days ago
CAF Mulls Super League Idea
- Politics3 days ago
Okorocha Cautions Igbos On Secession
- Editorial3 days ago
As New Rivers LG Chairmen Assume Office…