Connect with us

Nation

THE STATES

Published

on

Gombe

 

Governor Ibrahim Dankwambo has, announced N58 million

as donation to enable Christians in four Local Governments of Gombe South in Gombe State to celebrate Christmas. The areas make up the Gombe South Senatorial District of the State.

Dankwambo who announced the donation in Kattungo  during his tour of senatorial districts in the state said party officials, traditional rulers, religious leaders and other stakeholders in the area had also been given money to assist them during the Yuletide.

He said the recent North East Economic Summit, which the state hosted, had started yielding dividends as the Federal Government had declared intention to assist in implementing some of the summit’s recommendations.

Dankwambo said some foreign investors had declared interest in investing in the state, adding that when that was done; many job opportunities would be created in the state.

 

Jigawa

 

Partnership for the Transformation of Health Sector

(PATHS), an NGO, last Saturday, donated equipment worth N60 million to some health facilities in Jigawa State.

In a statement by the Public Relations Officer in the State Ministry of Health Mallam Ali Mati, in Dutse said the equipment were distributed to 136 health facilities across the state.

The statement which quoted Dr Tafida Abubakar, the state Commissioner for Health, as saying that the gesture of the NGO was appreciated, said the items included midwifery kits and laboratory apparatuses.

According to the statement, the Department for International Development (DFID) had recently supported health facilities in the state with similar equipment worth N500 million stating that the donations had so far complemented the state government’s efforts at boosting the health sector.

 

 

Kaduna

 

The Vehicle Inspection Office (VIO) in Kaduna State has

impounded 150 unpainted commercial vehicles in three local government areas in the last two weeks, its spokesman, Malam Buhari Aliyu, has said.

He said that the arrests were made in Kaduna North, Kaduna South and Igabi Local Government Areas from December 9 to date adding that the exercise would continue in the remaining 20 local government areas in the state.

Aliyu disclosed that the offenders would be made to pay fine and paint the vehicles in the approved colours before release and urged commuters to help the agency in its job by refusing to board all unpainted buses and taxi cabs.

The spokesman appealed to other stakeholders to support the initiative meant to ensure compliance with existing laws and rid the sector of bad eggs.

 

Kano

 

The Kano State University of Science and Technology

(KUST), Wudil, will commence academic activities on January 6,  2014.

A statement signed by the Deputy Registrar, Information and Public Relations of the university, Alhaji Sabo Nayaya, in Kano on Saturday, indicates that the decision to commence lectures on January 6 was taken after its Senate reviewed the school’s academic calendar.

“The management of KUST, Wudil, wishes to inform its students that lectures will commence as from Monday, January  6, 2014,’’ it stated.

The statement urged all students of the institution to ensure strict compliance with the resumption date because lectures would commence as announced unfailingly.

 

Katsina

 

The Katsina State Government last Monday said it spent

N13.9 billion on capital projects at the Umaru Musa Yar’Adua University (UMYU), Katsina, from 2007 to date.

The Special Adviser to Governor Ibrahim Shema on Higher Education, Alhaji Aliyu Haruna, made the disclosure at a news briefing in Katsina State.

He said some of the facilities constructed included lecture theatres, hostels, library, senate building and laboratories, aimed at enhancing teaching and learning in the institution.

Haruna added that the state government released N107.5 million quarterly to the university for overheads and Staff Development and Training, pointing out that N110 million was also released monthly for staff salaries.

The Director-General, Scholarship Trust Fund, Alhaji Shehu Muhammad, said N2.3 billion was spent by the government to support 181,984 students in the past seven years.

 

Kebbi

 

The Kebbi State School of Nursing and Midwifery has set

up a committee to verify certificates presented by applicants seeking admission into its 2013/2014 session.

The Principal of the school, Hajiya Saratu Makera, told newsmen in Birnin Kebbi on Saturday that only 50 vacant positions were advertised while more than 500 applications were received.

She said the school would prosecute any applicant found to have presented fake result adding that applicants who passed the screening will undergo oral interview.

“This is part of our quests to determine those academically and psychologically qualified. In previous admissions, some applicants presented fake results and this time, anyone who presented fake results would be handed over to the police’’, Makera stressed.

She said the National Council of Nursing and Midwifery had pegged the number of students to be admitted at 50 and said the school would appeal for permission to admit 70 students due to the high number of applications we have received.’’

 

Lagos

 

The National Union of Petroleum and Natural Gas Workers

(NUPENG) yesterday appealed to petroleum marketers to avoid hoarding of the products during the Yuletide.

The NUPENG Chairman, South-West chapter, Alhaji Tokunbo Korodo, who made the plea in an interview in Lagos said “we will play our own parts by ensuring that the products get to the filling stations’’.

Korodo also advised motorists against panic buying, saying that there would be adequate supply of the products for sale to the general public.

“We have been assured by the Nigerian National Petroleum Corporation (NNPC) that the products will be available in all the depots. “We have instructed our members to ensure 24 hours product distribution to customers,” the NUPENG chairman said.

He said that the Petroleum Tanker Drivers (PTD) had been directed to supply all filling stations with the products during the festive period.

 

Niger

 

The police in Niger State says  three men of the Nigeria Air

Force had been arrested in connection with fracas at Tudun Wada Police Station in Minna.

The Police Public Relations Officer (PPRO) in the State, Mr Richard Oguche, who disclosed this in  Minna on Saturday said, “the air force men stormed and attacked officers and men on duty injuring one of them on the head with jack-knife.

“This afternoon, six air force men went to Tudun Wada Police Station and attacked officers and men on duty with jack knives and belts. “The air force men were mobilised from the Minna Air Force Base by a serving officer in Kano”, he added.

Ogudu said trouble started on Friday night when police men on duty at Tudun Wada area apprehended the brother to the air force officer in question.

He said the brother was arrested and his motorcycle impounded for violating the law banning the use of motorcycles in Minna from 7p.m. to 7a.m.stating that the attack was checkmated by police officers and men on duty and three out of the six air force men arrested.

 

Ogun

 

The Ogun State House of Assembly last Monday passed the

State’s 2014 Appropriation Bill of N210.2 billion. The bill was passed after the Chairman, House Committee on Finance and Appropriation, Mr Olusola Bankole, read the committee’s report.

Bankole said the budget was increased by N81 million to enhance the revenue generation drive of some of the ministries that had the capacity to generate more than what was proposed in the budget.

He said the committee recommended that state commissioners for Finance and Budget should ensure that Ministries, Departments and Agencies (MDAs) adhered strictly to the execution of their projects.

The Majority Leader, Mr Isreal Jolaoso, moved the motion for its third reading and was seconded by Mrs Elizabeth Anifowoshe.

The Speaker, Mr Suraj Adekunbi, after the passage of the bill, ordered that a clean copy be sent to Governor Ibikunle Amosun for assent.

Oyo

 

The General Officer Commanding 2 Division, Nigerian Army

Ibadan, Major.-General Ahmed Jibrin, says the Federal Government is working tirelessly to maintain peace in the country.

Jibrin who said this last Saturday while addressing participants at the division’s 2013 end of year West African Social Activities (WASA) in Ibadan State, said government was doing everything possible to support the security forces in the country to sustain peace.

“The situation in the country is tensed with kidnapping and other social vices but a lot of successes are as well attained. The fight is still on and we are working hard to win,” he said.

He said that WASA entailed setting aside a day, usually towards the end of the year, for officers and men with their families to engage in social cultural activities noting that the culture is part of the legacy the colonial masters left behind for the Nigerian Army.

 

 

Plateau

 

The Special Task Force (STF) on Security in Plateau State has

said it would deploy its personnel to search visitors at recreation centres in the state during Christmas and New Year festivities.

According to a press by the Media Coordinator, Capt Salisu Mustapha, in Jos on Saturday, the STF would carry out the task jointly with local security operatives.

It stated that the search was to ensure that firearms were not smuggled into the recreation centres.

According to the statement, vehicles are banned from entering the premises of recreation centres during the celebrations and called on religious bodies to also put security measures in place during the period.

 

Sokoto

 

The Sokoto State Police Command has said it would mount 24-

hour surveillance of churches, banks, highways and other public places during the forthcoming Yuletide celebrations.

The Commissioner of Police, Shua’ibu Gambo, said in Sokoto on Sunday.

“For the forthcoming Christmas and New Year, we are working round the clock in this direction. “We have put all the officers and men in the 23 local governments and Area Commands on red alert,’’ he said.

“Additional personnel have been drafted to Sokoto State city and its environs from the various area commands and divisions to the various Churches, intra-city, inter-city routes and other public places. “Additional patrol vehicles and plain-clothes security personnel have also been drafted across the state,’’ he added.

Director General, National Emergency Management Agency (NEMA), Muhammad Sidi, representative of Minister of FCT, Mr Ahmed Inuwa, representative of Director, Development Control, Mr Adamu Garba and Chairman, House of Representatives Committee on Emergency and Disaster Preparedness, Rep. Abegunde Ifedayo, at the inauguration of NEMA's Emergency Response/Ambulance Bay on Airport Road in Abuja, last Monday.

Director General, National Emergency Management Agency (NEMA), Muhammad Sidi, representative of Minister of FCT, Mr Ahmed Inuwa, representative of Director, Development Control, Mr Adamu Garba and Chairman, House of Representatives Committee on Emergency and Disaster Preparedness, Rep. Abegunde Ifedayo, at the inauguration of NEMA’s Emergency Response/Ambulance Bay on Airport Road in Abuja, last Monday.

Continue Reading

Nation

Emirates Resumes Flights To Nigeria, June 23

Published

on

The UAE carrier, Emirates Airlines, would start carrying passengers from South Africa, Nigeria and India from June 23, the UAE Embassy said as it announced revised rules on Covid-19.
“We look forward to facilitating travel from these countries and supporting various travellers’ categories,” the airline said in a separate statement, yesterday.
“Residence visa holders from India and travellers from South Africa should’ve taken two doses of a vaccine approved by UAE authorities and carry RT-PCR tests reports from labs approved by the federal governments of these countries.
“But for Nigerians vaccination is not made mandatory but all other conditions apply.
“In addition to the above, Indians have to take a rapid PCR test four hours prior to their travel.
“While there are four vaccines in the UAE for use on eligible individuals against the Covid-19 infection – Sinopharm, Pfizer-BioNTech, Sputnik V and Oxford-AstraZeneca, it is unclear if the UAE has approved vaccines administered on Indian, South African and Nigerian citizens in their countries,” it stated.
“All travellers are also required to present a negative Covid-19 test result taken within 48 hours before departure.
“UAE citizens are exempted.
“Only QR coded PCR test result certificates are accepted.
“All passengers must take a rapid PCR test four hours prior to flight departure.
“All passengers must undergo a PCR test on arrival at Dubai Airport.
“Passengers should undergo institutional quarantine until they receive their PCR test result, which is expected within 24 hours.
“Passengers should produce a negative PCR test certificate with a QR Code from labs approved by the Nigerian government.
“All passengers must undergo a PCR test on arrival to Dubai Airport.
“Transit passengers should comply with entry protocols of final destinations.
“Entry will now be permitted to residents who have received two doses of UAE-approved vaccines,” the state said.
The revised procedures for travellers coming from the Republic of India, South Africa and Nigeria were issued by the Supreme Committee of Crisis and Disaster Management in Dubai.
They are effective from June 23, the Dubai Media Office said.
It said the updates are part of the committee’s keenness to protect passengers and ease hassles for them without compromising on Covid-19 preventive measures, said the Chairman of the Supreme Committee, Sheikh Mansoor Al-Maktoum.
The Media Office announcement said the updated travel protocols are part of a normal process of revising and optimising preventive measures based on the latest local, regional and international developments.

Continue Reading

Nation

Bagudu Vows To Lead Rescue Operation Over Yauri Abduction

Published

on

Governor Atiku Bagudu of Kebbi State last Saturday vowed to lead the rescue operation of teachers and students abducted from the Federal Government College (FGC), Birnin Yauri, in Ngaski Local Government Area of the State.
Bagudu, who is also Chairman, Progressives Governors’ Forum, spoke when local hunters visited him.
Reports had that the Chairman, Nigeria Governors’ Forum (NGF) and Ekiti State Governor, Dr Kayode Fayemi, and his Jigawa State counterpart, Alhaji Badaru Abubakar, also paid a solidarity and sympathy visit on Gov. Bagudu.
Bagudu assured that some other governors and  stakeholders will join him in the ongoing search operations for the abducted students and staff of the school.
According to him, he will discuss with his colleagues and security agencies in this direction, so as not to jeorpardise the ongoing commendable operations to rescue the abducted students and staff.
He said: “But, we will go out there and like I promised, the day we will move out, I will not be in the office because we will join you in the field.”
The Kebbi State Governor said that this would be done barring all consequences in a bid to rescue the abductees.
Bagudu argued: “It is not weapons that win wars, but it is the will that bad people cannot triumph and we will show that, we have enough will power .
“President Muhammadu Buhari and the security agencies have been doing the best they could with limited resources.
“But, we also need to mobilize, kit ourselves and take on these bandits. Our various scriptures as Muslims and Christians allow us to put our lives at risk in defence of our honour, property and our faiths.
“In what the bandits are doing, they have challenged all of us, so, we can’t let them.”
Bagudu asked the hunters to go back and fully mobilise, pending when he gets the necessary clearance from the security agencies, adding, “we will meet in the field.”
The governor maintained that governors were not sworn in only to sit down in the office and work.
He stated that they are aware that one day they would be required to lead in the field, even though they are not military or police personnel.
He said that if hundreds of thousands of people can be mobilised during campaigns, same should be done now to join the search party.
He said: “What happened in Birnin Yauri should be the last straw. We should follow these bandits wherever they are and take them on.”
Bagudu also described the abduction as very callous, even as he lauded the security agencies, management of the school, ‘Yan Sakai and vigilantes for their heroic efforts since the bandits struck at the college.

Continue Reading

Nation

Govs, Others Task Security Agencies On S’East

Published

on

South-East governors and leaders have requested security agencies in the zone to respect the rights and privileges of all those living in the zone.
They made the call on Saturday in Enugu after a meeting attended by political leaders, socio-cultural organisations, clerics and the traditional leaders.
The Chairman, South-East Governors’ Forum, Governor David Umahi of Ebonyi State, who addressed reporters after the meeting, condemned the killing of civilians in the zone by security agencies.
Umahi urged them to discharge their duties within the law and in accordance with their rules of engagement.
The Ebonyi governor reaffirmed the commitment of the region to the corporate existence of the country.
Umahi, however, said that such union must be based on love, mutual respect and equality of rights irrespective of one’s religion, ethnic group, political inclination and creed.
The governor said the various secessionist groups from the region were not speaking for the people of the area.
He said the leaders from the zone had set up a committee to engage the agitators to allow elders of the region to address their fears.
“We have come out publicly on many occasions to speak against such agitations,” he said.
Umahi said the meeting was in fulfilment of the June 11 agreement they had with a federal government delegation led by the Minister of Defense, Bashir Magashi, a retired major-general.
“Consequent upon that, we scheduled our own meeting today to discuss and articulate our positions.
“This is to enable us not only engage the presidential team but also engage our people over all burning issues,” he said.
The governor said leaders from the region had noted with concern threats against the Igbo people by some groups in other regions.
“The meeting pleaded with leaders of other regions to note such threats to our people, address it and protect our people,” he said.
He said that governors from the South-East had assured people from other ethnic nationalities of their safety in the region in spite of the prevailing circumstances.
The leaders condemned the killing of security personnel and burning of government infrastructure in the region.
He called on National Assembly members from the region to support the creation of state police in the ongoing efforts to amend the constitution.
The governor said the meeting endorsed the South-East joint security unit called EbubeAgu, and requested the personnel to work with statutory security agencies.
Those present at the meeting included Okezie Ikpeazu of Abia and Ifeanyi Ugwuanyi of Enugu.
Anambra and Imo states were represented by the deputy governors, Nkem Okeke and Placid Njoku respectively.
Others were the Senate Minority Leader, Enyinnaya Abaribe; Minister of Labour and Productivity, Chris Ngige; Minister of State for Mines and Steel Development, Uche Ogah, and President General of Ohaneze Ndigbo, George Obiozo.

Continue Reading

Trending