A Makurdi High Court has sentenced Jacob Atongo,
a 100-level Sociology student of Benue State University, to death by hanging for armed robbery.
In his judgment, Justice Adam Onum, held that he was satisfied with the confession of the accused to the charges and therefore, found him guilty.
Onum sentenced the accused to death by hanging, insisting that the sentence prescribed under the law for the offence must be followed.
Atongo conspired with two others and robbed Stephen Akuma, and several others at gun point on June 26, 2012.
The Federal Government has been urged to set up
Inter-Ministerial ICT project clearance desk to address duplication of projects and programmes among Ministries, Department and Agencies in the country.
The President, Abuja Chapter, Information System Audit and Control Association (ISACA), Mr Ikani Yunusa, made the call at the 5th Annual International Conference in Abuja recently.
Yunusa said the desk was important to eliminate duplication of projects, waste of public funds and unnecessary financial burden on the tax payers.
“I was worried when I learnt of the Federal Road Safety Commission and the Nigeria Police Force competing for who should set up a central Database for Vehicle registration for the country. That shouldn’t be.
Kaduna State Government says it will train 7,600
youths and women in various skills under the Subsidy Reinvestment and Empowerment Programme (SURE-P).
Governor Mukhtar Yero, who stated this at the beginning of the training in Kaduna, explained that the programme would improve the welfare of Nigerians via the provision of infrastructure, jobs and wealth creation.
“We have a total of 7,600 youths and women drawn from the 23 local government areas of the state. 1,500 will be trained under women empowerment, 2,300 under youth development and 2,300 under agriculture,’’ he said.
Yero said that the youth empowerment training would cost the government N42.9 million, while its women empowerment component would cost N39.9 million.
Kano State Commissioner for Special Duties Mr Idris
Dambazau, says government has completed the construction of 1,500 houses for flood victims in 2012.
Dambazau told newsmen in Kano that the figure was out of the 3,000 houses it was building for victims in three local government areas.
He said the houses were constructed at the cost of N2.4 billion in Warawa, Kunci and Makoda local government areas.
Dambazau said the state government found it necessary to construct the houses so as to relocate the victims from the river banks and other flood prone areas.
Governor Ibrahim Shema of Katsina State, has
approved the appointment of Alhaji Aminu Danbaba, as Executive Chairman of the state Universal Basic Education Board (SUBEB).
This is contained in a statement issued by the Permanent Secretary, Special Services, Alhaji Rabi’u Rumah, in Katsina.
Until his appointment, Danbaba was the executive director of the state Pilgrims Welfare Board.
He replaces Dr Suleman Dikko, who was recently appointed by President Goodluck Jonathan as the Executive Secretary of the Universal Basic Education Commission (UBEC).
The Fadama III Project has empowered more than
50,000 farmers in Kwara State, the Project’s Coordinator in the state, Mr Yusuf Agbabiaka, said.
Agbabiaka told newsmen in Ilorin that about 1, 228 Fadama user groups had been registered under the project in the state.
He said the beneficiaries had benefited from various agricultural support facilities at subsidised rate, including assorted agricultural inputs.
“They (Fadama user groups) have benefited so much in terms of access to fertiliser, agro chemicals, improved seeds, agric equipment and implements, among others.
The Federal Road Safety Commission (FRSC) in
Lagos recently organised a retreat for its officers with the aim of reviewing road safety strategies for improved performance.
The commission organised the one-day retreat for its officers in Zone 2, comprising Lagos and Ogun.
The commission used the opportunity to review the zone’s performance in the third quarter of this year.
The Zonal Commander, Mr Ademola Lawal, charged the officers to be determined to drastically reduce road accidents at the end of the year.
Ekiti State Governor Dr Kayode Fayemi, has
advised the youth, especially those who were unemployed, to embrace entrepreneurial skills that would make them to become self-reliant.
The governor gave the advice in Ise-Ekiti at the closing ceremony of the Batch “C’’ NYSC Orientation Programme in the NYSC Permanent Orientation Camp.
Fayemi said that the youth, particularly corps members, should take advantage of available training and skills development programmes that would make them productive.
“I urge you to take advantage of the Skills Acquisition and Entrepreneurship Development Programme of the NYSC and prepare for your future.
The Osun State Government has approved N4.5
billion as car refurbishing loan for the 9,435 workers in the state civil service, the Commissioner for Finance, Dr Wale Bolorunduro, has said.
Bolorunduro, who made the disclosure in Osogbo at a press conference, said that officials of labour unions in the civil service would determine the number of workers that would benefit from the loan.
He said the officials would also manage the account where the loan is domiciled and its disbursement.
Bolorunduro said that N1.2 billion would be needed to pay the first batch of beneficiaries of the loan adding that N1.4 billion had been reserved for payment of the second batch of beneficiaries.
The Court of Appeal in Ibadan has adjourned the
case between the Oyo Government and Alhaji Lateef Akinsola, the ex-chairman of the National Union of Road Transport Workers (NURTW), to January 15, 2014.
The government had filed an appeal against the judgment of a federal high court to reinstate Akinsola, also known as “Tokyo’’, as the union’s chairman.
Mr M.A. Ganiyu, counsel to the state government, told the court that he had filed and served an application, dated November 26, just before the court commenced sitting.
“The application, which was filed today, is for an extension of time to appeal,” he said.
However, Mr Abiodun Amole, counsel to Akinsola, did not raise any objection.
The Zamfara State Police Command has confirmed
the stealing of 20 camels by suspected gunmen at Kawaye village of Anka local government area of the state.
The command’s Public Relations Officer (PPRO), DSP Lawal Abdullahi, said this in Gusau while addressing newsmen in Gusau.
He said the Divisional Police Officer (DPO) of the area had been instructed to arrest the suspects.
The police spokesman gave assurance that the police would continue to ensure the continuous protection of persons and their property.
Enugu: Court Remands Siblings For Alleged Murder Of Makeup Artiste
An Enugu State High Court, presided by Justice I. K. Okpe yesterday remanded two siblings allegedly involved in the murder of makeup artiste, Ijeoma Nneke, in Enugu Correctional Center.
The prosecuting counsel, Mrs Ngozi Ikem-Okoye. informed the court that the prosecution also had an application that sought the leave of the court to call additional witnesses in the matter.
However, the defence counsel, Mr C. U. Okafor, in response, said that the application was unnecessary as the accused had yet to take pleas.
Okafor held that the case was not yet before the court, adding that the prosecution did not seem to be ready to prosecute the case.
Delivering judgment, Okpe adjourned the case until August 25 for ruling on the application to call additional witnesses.
Recall that the two siblings were alleged to have conspired to kill Ijeoma on November 11, 2020, at 66 Ozubulu Street, Independence Layout, Enugu.
They were also alleged to have killed the victim by forcing her to drink poisonous substances and thereafter poured acid all over her body.
Court Criticises DSS Over Failure To Produce Detained Igboho’s Aides
A Federal High Court, Abuja, yesterday criticised the Department of State Services (DSS) over failure to produce in court the 12 persons arrested at the residence of Yoruba nation’s agitator, Sunday Adeyemo, popularly known as Sunday Igboho.
Justice Obiora Egwuatu, in a ruling, also ordered the DSS to produce the applicants in court in the next adjourned date.
The Tide learnt that Justice Egwuatu had, on July 23, ordered the DSS to produce the detainees in court yesterday.
The order followed a fundamental right enforcement suit that the lawyers to the detained applicants, Pelumi Olajengbesi, filed on their behalf, pursuant to Section 32(1) and (2) of the Administration of Criminal Justice Act (ACJA) as well as Sections 6(6), 35 and 36 of 1999 Constitution, as amended.
The 12 persons, who had been in the DSS detention since July 2, are; Abdullateef Ofeyagbe, Amoda Babatunde (Aka Lady K), Tajudeen Erinoyen, Diakola Ademola, Abideen Shittu, and Jamiu Noah.
Others are Ayobami Donald, Adelabe Usman, Oluwafelumi Kunle, Raji Kazeem, Taiwo Opeyemi and Bamidele Sunday.
The Tide source reports that the DSS had, on July 1, confirmed that its operatives stormed Igboho’s home in Ibadan, arrested about 13 suspects; including a female and 12 males.
It also disclosed that two people were killed in the raid.
However, at the resumed hearing yesterday, Counsel to the DSS, I. Awo, informed the court that the applicants could not be brought because the service procured an order to hold the detainees.
Awo based the absence of the 12 detainees on the grounds that investigations into the circumstances that led to their arrest at Mr Igboho’s home were ongoing.
He hinted that of the 12 detainees on the court’s order, only three were being held by the DSS.
The lawyer listed the three detainees in the DSS custody to include: Amoda Babatunde (Aka Lady K), Diakola Ademola and Bamidele Sunday.
Reacting, Olajengbesi, urged the court to reject the service’s explanation as it was in contempt of the court’s order.
“The apparent affront on the authority of the court by the DSS cannot be justified,” the applicants’ lawyer argued.
He urged the court to discountenance the purported detention order that was procured by the DSS, arguing that it was not a Certified True Copy (CTC).
The lawyer prayed the court to admit his clients to bail.
Olajengbesi also informed the court that he had been denied access to his client, and urged the court to make an order in that regard.
Ruling, Egwuatu charged the DSS to purge itself of such a negative public perception as it did not paint a good picture of Nigeria before the international community.
He then ordered the security outfit to produce the detainees and show cause why they should not be granted bail.
“An order is hereby made directing the respondent (DSS) to allow the applicants’ counsel have access to the applicants, and the respondents are ordered to produce the applicants on the next adjourned date,” he said.
He adjourned the matter until August 2 for continuation of hearing.
Anambra Poll: Obi, Ozigbo Beg PDP Stakeholders To Unite For Victory
Former governor of Anambra State, Mr Peter Obi and one of the two factional governorship candidates of the Peoples Democratic Party, PDP, Mr Valentine Ozigbo, have begged stakeholders and members of the party to unite for easy victory during the November 6 election in the state.
Obi and Ozigbo spoke yesterday in Awka, during a reconciliation meeting of the party, which was summoned by Ozigbo to reunite members of the party, after the rancour caused by the holding of two primary elections by the party on June 26, which produced Ozigbo and Senator Ugochukwu Uba.
Obi, while speaking at the meeting called on everyone to come together and work for the victory of the party in the forthcoming governorship election, saying that the primary was over and should be done with.
“I’m ready to beg all the aspirants for us to win the election. This candidate must win this election and we will not run away in our State because of anyone. I will win my local government and that is my assurance, nothing will stop us from winning the governorship election. Anambra must not go back to what it used to be.
“PDP has the best candidate for this election and we are going to win it, we have a formidable candidate and we need a formidable team to win it. I’m committed to PDP 24 hours and the party’s governors in the country are committed to winning the Anambra State election. It is our own election and we will win it,” the former governor said.
Ozigbo, in his address, reeled out the efforts he had made in reconciling every member and aspirants but regretted that the litigations in the party had held it down, adding that the party’s legal team was not relenting in evacuating the obstacles.
“I didn’t win the primary, but PDP and Anambra won. We’re one family but we are going to unite soon. Our enemies are not within, but outside PDP. PDP is a platform that will bring Igbo together, nobody should weave in what is happening now. We’re going to occupy the government house by the grace of God.
“The major reason for the gathering is to thank you for what you did and thank you for what you will do in the coming days because the real battle is coming. We are not celebrating because the real celebration will come on November 6. There’s a need for us to go into the governorship battle as a united family.
“I’ve visited my co-aspirants and I received positive vibes from Senator Uche Ekwunife, Hon Chris Azubogu, Dr Obiora Okonkwo, Dr Godwin Maduka, Mr Godwin Ezeemo and others.
“What I want to tell you now is that every other party in this State is counterfeit from APGA to APC to YPP and that is why I’m begging all our stakeholders to have faith in me and I won’t disappoint them.
“They should forgive and forget and I’m ready to make every sacrifice for all of us to come together. We want to make the founder of PDP, late Dr Alex Ekwueme, proud whereever he is and that’s the assurance I gave the daughter, lady Chidi Onyemelukwe, when we spoke before the meeting.
- News5 days ago
Cyber Crime: FBI Declares Six Nigerians Most Wanted
- Niger Delta5 days ago
Bayelsa Govt Approves Allowance Arrears For Ex-Councillors
- Niger Delta5 days ago
Jonathan Wants Koreans’ Investments In Bayelsa
- Nation5 days ago
Lalong Charges Pilgrims To Pray For Nigeria To Overcome Insecurity
- Sports3 days ago
Sports Minister Hails Anyanacho,Offiong
- Politics5 days ago
2023: Wike’ll Not Foist Successor – Akawor
- Rivers5 days ago
Council Boss Calls For Unity Among Okrika Indigenes
- Featured5 days ago
Alleged Insecurity In Rivers, Exaggerated, Envoy Affirms …$10bn NLNG Train 7, Proof Rivers Is Safe, Wike Insists