Connect with us

Nation

THE STATES

Published

on

L-R: Former Deputy Senate President, Alhaji Ibrahim Mantu, Rep. Beni Lar and Chairman, House Committee on Privatisation, Rep. Khadizah Ibrahim, during their condolence visit to Lar's family in Abuja last Saturday.

L-R: Former Deputy Senate President, Alhaji Ibrahim Mantu, Rep. Beni Lar and Chairman, House Committee on Privatisation, Rep. Khadizah Ibrahim, during their condolence visit to Lar’s family in Abuja last Saturday.

Adamawaa

The Nigerian Air Force has expressed satisfaction with the
performance of its officers and men deployed for the operation against insurgents in the North-East.
The Commanding Officer in Charge of Tactical Command of the force, Air Vice Marshal Adeshola Amusu, told newsmen  last Thursday in Yola, that the men were doing a good job.
Amusu, who was touring the zone to asses the troops, said he was satisfied with the  commitment of the officers and men after the visit to Maiduguri and Yola adding that the force was working in synergy with the 7 Division, Nigerian Army to dislodge the insurgents.

Bauchi
i
The Nigerian Security and Civil Defence Corps (NSCDC) in
Bauchi State says it has trained 150 of its personnel on the handling of weapons.
The state Commandant of the Corps, Alhaji Shuayb Jibril, said in Bauchi  last Thursday that the training would enhance the skills of the beneficiaries on how to protect lives and property.
He said the affected personnel, who were trained at the School of Armour, Bauchi, would start carrying arms while on duty and urged residents of Bauchi and its environs, not to panic whenever they noticed any of his men carrying weapons, especially during the forthcoming Eid-el-Kabir celebration.
Borno

Global System for Mobile Communication (GSM) handset
sellers in Maiduguri last Thursday appealed to Borno Government to prevail on the relevant authorities for network services to be restored in the state.
Addressing newsmen in Maiduguri, Chairman of GSM handset sellers association in the state, Malam Usman Shehu, said that the measure had deprived members of his association of their source of livelihood.
Shehu revealed that members of the association had been forced by the situation, to resorted to begging as their wares were no longer marketable .

FCT

The Food and Agriculture Organisation (FAO) says it has
contributed 345,000 dollars (about N55.2 million) to enhance and strengthen seeds production in Nigeria.
FAO Country Representative, Dr Louise Setshwaelo, made this known in Abuja last Wednesday at the workshop on ‘Strengthening National Seed Systems in Nigeria’.
The two-year project, in partnership with the National Agricultural Seeds Council (NASC), Setshwaelo said, would increase the adoption rate of improved seeds by smallholder farmers, improve income and ensure food security in the country.
Gombe

The police have assured the people of Gombe State that an
effective operational order has been made to ensure hitch-free Eid-el-Kabir celebrations on October 15 in the state.
The Public Relations Officer (PPRO) of the state Police Command, Mr. Fwaje Atajiri, told newsmen in Gombe lastThursday that the plan covered all the three area commands and 23 divisional police headquarters in the state.
According to him, the police will make strategy with other sister security agencies to ensure smooth celebrations.
“The operational order will be religiously followed to ensure that the Sallah celebration in the state is hitch-free.

Jigiwa

The Nigeria Security and Civil Defence Corps (NSCDC) in
Jigawa State last Wednesday arrested a 25-year-old-man for allegedly stealing a laptop computer.
The NSCDC Commandant in the state, Mr. Muhammad Gidado, in Dutse said that the corps had trailed the suspect after he stole the computer from a business centre in the area on September 21.
“Today, we succeeded in arresting a suspect for stealing a brand new laptop computer from a business centre in Dutse.

Kaduna
Governor Mukhtar Yero of Kaduna State has commended
the National Youth Service Corps (NYSC) for its contributions in tackling development challenges in the country.
Yero gave the commendation last Thursday at the passing out parade of 2012 ‘’ batch C ‘’ Corps members in Kaduna.
Represented by his deputy, Amb. Nuhu Bajoga, the governor noted that the scheme had impacted positively on the lives of the people, especially in the rural areas.
“People of the state are appreciative of your efforts in the education sector, healthcare delivery in rural areas, the fight against the spread of HIV/AIDs and other national development programmes,” he said.
Kebbi

The Kebbi State Government recorded 80 per cent success
during the integrated measles and polio eradication immunisation exercise concluded last Wednesday.
The state Coordinator, Primary Health Care Development Agency (KPHDA), disclosed this to the  newsmen  last Thursday in Birnin Kebbi that Dr Abubakar Koko the exercise was successfully conducted in 225 electoral wards, but added that 65 per cent coverage was recorded in 43 of the wards.
He said 1,031 teams of 3,000 personnel were engaged to immunise 500,000 children across the state and commended the contributions of UNICEF, Rotary Club International, the state and local governments, which ensured the success of the exercise.

Kano

The Kano State Government last Wednesday sealed a pri
vate clinic, Tiga Clinic and Maternity, in Fagge Local Government Area for alleged unethical practice.
A statement from the state Ministry of Health in Kano stated that the closure was ordered by the Office of the Special Assistant to the Governor on Private Health Institutions.
The Special Assistant, Dr Salisu Ibrahim, said that the clinic lacked qualified personnel with only one nurse on duty whose service to the patients was below standard.

Kogi

The Kogi State Government has signed an agreement with
the UN Habitat and UN Environment Programme (UNEP) to redevelop Lokoja into a modern city.
Speaking at the agreement signing ceremony in Lokoja, the state’s Deputy Governor, Mr Yomi Awoniyi, said that the urban renewal programme would entail structural and urban re-planning of the city.
The deputy governor stated that the agreement was preceded by series of meetings in Kenya and Nigeria and he expressed hope that the initiative would improve the quality of life of the people.

Kwara

Governor Abdulfatah Ahmed of Kwara State has in Ilorin
expressed concern over the 10.5 million Nigerian children said to be out-of-school.
Ahmed expressed the concern last Thursday while declaring open the 32rd Annual National Conference of the Nigerian Association of Educational Administration and Planning.
Ahmed, who was represented by his deputy, Mr Peter Kisira, noted that the incessant strike by lecturers of tertiary institutions had distorted academic calendars in higher institutions.

Nasarawa

A group, Youth for Peace and Development, has embarked on
peace campaign to mobilise youths in Nasarawa State to eschew chaos and embrace peace.
National President of the group, Mr Bala John, announced this last Wednesday during the group’s peace advocacy meeting at Farin-Ruwa Development Area of the state.
“The group has set the machinery in motion to create awareness amongst all the different ethnic groups and religions in the state. “The essence of the peace advocacy campaign is to uncover why communities, which were hitherto living together in peace, are now rising up against each other,” John said.
Niger

The Northern States Governors’ Forum has described the
death of Chief Solomon Lar, the first civilian governor of old Plateau   State, as a devastating loss to the citizens of the state and the country.
The Forum’s Chairman, Gov. Babangida Aliyu of Niger, said that with the death of Lar, “Nigeria has lost a patriot of uncommon courage’’.

Osun

The Osun State House of Assembly Committee on Lands,
Physical Planning and Urban Development has urged the newly constituted board of the state Property Development Corporation to ensure efficient service delivery.
Chairman of the Committee, Mr Johnson Ojo (APC-Ede South), made the appeal when the board members visited the committee last Thursday in Osogbo.
Ojo, who noted that the existence of the corporation was very important to the growth and development of the state, said the board members should justify their appointment.
Earlier, the acting General Manager of the corporation, Mr Oluyemi Olanrewaju, said the visit was to seek the committee’s cooperation for the progress of the corporation.

Plateau

Prices of rams in Jos and its environs, have increased,
some days to the Eid El-Kabir celebration.  A survey showed that the increase was due to inadequate supply of animals to the livestock markets in the state .
According to the survey, an average ram that sold for N20,000 last year, now costs N30,000, while that of N30,000 then, now sells for N40,000. In the same vain, a ram above average in size, that costs N50,000 some months ago, now attracts N60,000
The survey also reveals that some species of rams being imported from neighbouring countries ,are selling at prices higher than the local breed.
A three-year old Sudanese ram is selling for N120,000 and above, depending on the size, while those from Niger Republic, referred to as “parrot head“, cost between N140,000 and N150,000 each, also depending on the size.

Taraba

Fishermen in Taraba  State lastThursday decried the rapid
decline in fish production and expressed worry that this might cause economic problems if not checked.
Some fishermen, who spoke with newsmen in Donga Local Government Area, called for urgent actions to address the situation.
One of the fishermen, Mr Awual Sani, said that fish production was always on higher side during September and October every year, adding that “this year is a different and sad experience’’.
Sani decried the impact of the situation on the economy of the fishermen, adding that many fish farmers were already finding it difficult to pay the school fees of their children.

Continue Reading

Nation

Enugu: Court Remands Siblings For Alleged Murder Of Makeup Artiste

Published

on

An Enugu State High Court, presided by Justice I. K. Okpe yesterday remanded two siblings allegedly involved in the murder of makeup artiste, Ijeoma Nneke, in Enugu Correctional Center.
The prosecuting counsel, Mrs Ngozi Ikem-Okoye. informed the court that the prosecution also had an application that sought the leave of the court to call additional witnesses in the matter.
However, the defence counsel, Mr C. U. Okafor, in response, said that the application was unnecessary as the accused had yet to take pleas.
Okafor held that the case was not yet before the court, adding that the prosecution did not seem to be ready to prosecute the case.
Delivering judgment, Okpe adjourned the case until August 25 for ruling on the application to call additional witnesses.
Recall that the two siblings were alleged to have conspired to kill Ijeoma on November 11, 2020, at 66 Ozubulu Street, Independence Layout, Enugu.
They were also alleged to have killed the victim by forcing her to drink poisonous substances and thereafter poured acid all over her body.

Continue Reading

Nation

Court Criticises DSS Over Failure To Produce Detained Igboho’s Aides

Published

on

A Federal High Court, Abuja, yesterday criticised the Department of State Services (DSS) over failure to produce in court the 12 persons arrested at the residence of Yoruba nation’s agitator, Sunday Adeyemo, popularly known as Sunday Igboho.
Justice Obiora Egwuatu, in a ruling, also ordered the DSS to produce the applicants in court in the next adjourned date.
The Tide learnt that Justice Egwuatu had, on July 23, ordered the DSS to produce the detainees in court yesterday.
The order followed a fundamental right enforcement suit that the lawyers to the detained applicants, Pelumi Olajengbesi, filed on their behalf, pursuant to Section 32(1) and (2) of the Administration of Criminal Justice Act (ACJA) as well as Sections 6(6), 35 and 36 of 1999 Constitution, as amended.
The 12 persons, who had been in the DSS detention since July 2, are; Abdullateef Ofeyagbe, Amoda Babatunde (Aka Lady K), Tajudeen Erinoyen, Diakola Ademola, Abideen Shittu, and Jamiu Noah.
Others are Ayobami Donald, Adelabe Usman, Oluwafelumi Kunle, Raji Kazeem, Taiwo Opeyemi and Bamidele Sunday.
The Tide source reports that the DSS had, on July 1, confirmed that its operatives stormed Igboho’s home in Ibadan, arrested about 13 suspects; including a female and 12 males.
It also disclosed that two people were killed in the raid.
However, at the resumed hearing yesterday, Counsel to the DSS, I. Awo, informed the court that the applicants could not be brought because the service procured an order to hold the detainees.
Awo based the absence of the 12 detainees on the grounds that investigations into the circumstances that led to their arrest at Mr Igboho’s home were ongoing.
He hinted that of the 12 detainees on the court’s order, only three were being held by the DSS.
The lawyer listed the three detainees in the DSS custody to include: Amoda Babatunde (Aka Lady K), Diakola Ademola and Bamidele Sunday.
Reacting, Olajengbesi, urged the court to reject the service’s explanation as it was in contempt of the court’s order.
“The apparent affront on the authority of the court by the DSS cannot be justified,” the applicants’ lawyer argued.
He urged the court to discountenance the purported detention order that was procured by the DSS, arguing that it was not a Certified True Copy (CTC).
The lawyer prayed the court to admit his clients to bail.
Olajengbesi also informed the court that he had been denied access to his client, and urged the court to make an order in that regard.
Ruling, Egwuatu charged the DSS to purge itself of such a negative public perception as it did not paint a good picture of Nigeria before the international community.
He then ordered the security outfit to produce the detainees and show cause why they should not be granted bail.
“An order is hereby made directing the respondent (DSS) to allow the applicants’ counsel have access to the applicants, and the respondents are ordered to produce the applicants on the next adjourned date,” he said.
He adjourned the matter until August 2 for continuation of hearing.

Continue Reading

Nation

Anambra Poll: Obi, Ozigbo Beg PDP Stakeholders To Unite For Victory

Published

on

Former governor of Anambra State, Mr Peter Obi and one of the two factional governorship candidates of the Peoples Democratic Party, PDP, Mr Valentine Ozigbo, have begged stakeholders and members of the party to unite for easy victory during the November 6 election in the state.
Obi and Ozigbo spoke yesterday in Awka, during a reconciliation meeting of the party, which was summoned by Ozigbo to reunite members of the party, after the rancour caused by the holding of two primary elections by the party on June 26, which produced Ozigbo and Senator Ugochukwu Uba.
Obi, while speaking at the meeting called on everyone to come together and work for the victory of the party in the forthcoming governorship election, saying that the primary was over and should be done with.
“I’m ready to beg all the aspirants for us to win the election. This candidate must win this election and we will not run away in our State because of anyone. I will win my local government and that is my assurance, nothing will stop us from winning the governorship election. Anambra must not go back to what it used to be.
“PDP has the best candidate for this election and we are going to win it, we have a formidable candidate and we need a formidable team to win it. I’m committed to PDP 24 hours and the party’s governors in the country are committed to winning the Anambra State election. It is our own election and we will win it,” the former governor said.
Ozigbo, in his address, reeled out the efforts he had made in reconciling every member and aspirants but regretted that the litigations in the party had held it down, adding that the party’s legal team was not relenting in evacuating the obstacles.
“I didn’t win the primary, but PDP and Anambra won. We’re one family but we are going to unite soon. Our enemies are not within, but outside PDP. PDP is a platform that will bring Igbo together, nobody should weave in what is happening now. We’re going to occupy the government house by the grace of God.
“The major reason for the gathering is to thank you for what you did and thank you for what you will do in the coming days because the real battle is coming. We are not celebrating because the real celebration will come on November 6. There’s a need for us to go into the governorship battle as a united family.
“I’ve visited my co-aspirants and I received positive vibes from Senator Uche Ekwunife, Hon Chris Azubogu, Dr Obiora Okonkwo, Dr Godwin Maduka, Mr Godwin Ezeemo and others.
“What I want to tell you now is that every other party in this State is counterfeit from APGA to APC to YPP and that is why I’m begging all our stakeholders to have faith in me and I won’t disappoint them.
“They should forgive and forget and I’m ready to make every sacrifice for all of us to come together. We want to make the founder of PDP, late Dr Alex Ekwueme, proud whereever he is and that’s the assurance I gave the daughter, lady Chidi Onyemelukwe, when we spoke before the meeting.

Continue Reading

Trending