Connect with us

Nation

THE STATES

Published

on

Adamawa

Focal Point Officer, United Nations Development
Programme (UNDP) in Adamawa State Mr Marcus Kwaghe, has commended  Governor Murtala Nyako for his commitment to ensure accountability in governance.
Kwaghe made the commendation Tuesday in Yola at a news conference while assessing the implementation of United Nations Development Assistance Framework (UNDAF) in the state.
Kwaghe also spoke the contributions of UNDAF in facilitating the recent passage of Bureau for Public Procurement and Fiscal Responsibility Bills.

Benue

The Nigeria Union of Teachers (NUT), Benue chapter,
has  commenced the verification of its members.
Chairman of the union in the state, Mr Godwin Anya, said in Makurdi that the exercise was to enable the union to know the exact number of teachers.
Anya said the staff audit was a pre-requisite for the inclusion of teachers in the new minimum wage being enjoyed by other workers in the state.
According to him, it is difficult to ascertain the exact number of primary school teachers in the state due to the sharp practices inherent in the recruitment of teachers.
“Teachers are supposed to be recruited by the State Universal Basic Education Board (SUBEB), but what happens is that the Local Government Education Authorities also recruit teachers’’, he said.

Borno

The National Emergency Management Agency (NEMA)
said on Tuesday that it would hold a grassroots emergency training for youth volunteers in Maiduguri, Borno.
Malam AbdulKadir Ibrahim, NEMA North East Information Officer, said in Maiduguri that NEMA was organising the programme in pursuit of its mandate on advocacy and in line with the Disaster Risk Reduction (DRR) initiative of the agency.
He said that the object was to train youth volunteers on emergency evacuation drill, adding that the programme would be flagged off by NEMA North East Coordinator, Alhaji Muhammad Kanar.

Ekiti

The crisis rocking the  PDP  in Ekiti worsened on
Tuesday as the party announced the  suspension of   Mr Ayo Fayose, a former governor in the state.
The  Chairman of  the party, Chief  Makanjuola Ogundipe, who announced the suspension  in Ado-Ekiti said Fayose’s suspension followed the  roles he allegedly  played in the   invasion of the state secretariat by hoodlums last week.
Also suspended with Fayose, he said, were the state Secretary of the party, Dr  Tope Aluko, state Women Leader, Mrs  Busola Oyebode as well as state Public Relations Officer,  Kola Oluwole.
Ogundipe said investigations conducted by the party indicated that the suspended persons were connected to the crisis in the party.

FCT

A 29-year old Ibrahim Rashid of Gwarimpa Village, Abuja,
on Tuesday appeared before an Abuja High Court for alleged kidnap and raping a four-year-old minor.
At the resumed hearing of the case, prosecution witness, Mr Francis Joe-Okpa, being led in evidence by the prosecutor, Mr Obeka Chris, told the court that the case was reported by one Mr Bello.
Joe-Okpa said that the complainant reported the matter at the Civil Defence office in Ushafa, Bwari, on March 14.
In his testimony, Joe-Okpa said that after receiving the report “I went to the scene of the incident and I saw a large crowd of people beating up the accused, which I rescued him.”
Kaduna

A man, Zaiyanu Muhammad of Ibadan Street in Kaduna,
has urged the Magajin Gari Sharia Court to recover the N80,000 bride and other expenses he paid in Saliha Abdulsalam as wife.
He told the court that the request became necessary because Saliha left the matrimonial home two days after marrying him.
According to him, when he married Saliha, her parents pleaded with him to give them time to prepare dowry for her before moving into the matrimonial home, adding that he had not seen Saliha since then until they met in the court on July 22.
“Since she is not interested in the marriage, she should return my bride price. I used every possible means to see her back but to no avail.’’
Kano

The Kano State Government on Monday shutdown a health
facility, Green World Centre in Zakirai town, Gabasawa Local Government Area, for illegal operation.
A statement signed by the Public Relations Officer of the state Ministry of Health, Malam Isma’il Gwammaja, in Kano,  noted that the facility belonging to a Cameroonians national, who had no permission or registration when he began operation in the area.
The Senior Special Assistant to the Governor on Private Health Institution, Dr Salisu Ibrahim, said that the government would not condom negative attitudes that could affect the lives of the people.

Katsina

The Katsina Command of the Nigeria Security and Civil
defence Corps (NSCDC) has arrested two persons for allegedly stealing a cow.
The State Commander, Alhaji Ibrahim Mai’Zabura, said this while briefing newsmen in Katsina on Tuesday.
The commander also said that the suspects allegedly conspired and stole the cow in Charanchi town of the state, and attempted to take it to Kafur town to sale.
He said that the duo was arrested by the corps on their way to Kafur on Sunday, adding that the suspects would be charged to court to serve as deterrent to others.

Kebbi

The Kebbi State Government said on Tuesday it
had constructed 20 nomadic primary schools aimed at promoting the educational pursuits of the children of nomads.
The Senior Special  Assistance to the Governor on Fulani Matters,  Alhaji  Nasiru Masama, told news in Birnin Kebbi, that five schools were sited in each of the four emirates of Argungu,Gwandu,Yauri and Zuru.
He said that support would be provided for the educational pursuit of the children of the Nomads as the children also deserved equal opportunities in education and other social services, adding that 35 bore holes had been drilled at various nomadic communities as part of social services provided in the rural areas.
Nasarawa

The Nasarawa State Government is to establish fire ser
vice stations in all local government headquarters and other strategic towns for quick responses to fire disasters in the state.
Commissioner for Works, Transport and Housing, Mr Mohammed Wada, said in an interview Tuesday in Lafia that five computerised fire fighting vehicles had already been procured for the project.
Wada said that two of the new fire fighting vehicles had computerised monitors that could detect and quench fire from a distance while the other three had fire resistant Dunlop that could handle intense fire outbreaks.

Ogun

The Executive Secretary, Border Communities Develop
ment Agency (BCDA), Mr Numoipre Wills, has called for increased funding of  institutions  concerned with developing  border communities.
Wills  made the call on Tuesday in Abeokuta at a one-day sensitisation workshop on “ Border Security and Challenges for Integration and Development,’’  organised by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs.
Speaking on the theme:  “ Mechanisms for Harnessing the Strategic Potentials of Border Communities for National Development,’’ Wills said that being the gateways  into the country, border communities were of  strategic importance, adding that international  markets could also thrive in border communities.

Osun

Governor Rauf  Aregbesola of  Osun State  has vowed to
continue the demolition exercise in Osogbo in order to give it a befitting status.
Speaking at a forum to break the fast with journalists, politicians and government functionaries at  Government House, the governor said  no distraction would deter him from executing the state’s  beautification programme to which he was irrevocably committed.
The governor was responding to a suggestion by a journalist that the demolition exercise should have a human face.
Aregbesola, who  dismissed the  speculations that  discontent  in certain quarters might deny him a second term,  said he was more concerned with development.”Leave election to God and let’s face the assignment I am here to do,” he said.
Sokoto

The Nigeria Security and Civil Defence Corps
(NSCDC) in Sokoto State has warned members of the Independent Petroleum Marketers Association of Nigeria (IPMAN) against lifting suspicious products.
The Commandant, Mr Muhammad Yusha’u, who gave the warning at a meeting with IPMAN members in Sokoto Stateon Monday, said the command was committed to fighting the menace of oil bunkering as some products emanated from oil thieves or illegal refineries.
“We are aware that there is a great concern about loss of revenue in the federation which is occasioned by what oil theft. And when you talk about oil theft, it concerns both the crude and refined petroleum products,: he said.

Continue Reading

Nation

NDLEA Arrests Doctor, Ex-Soldier For Dealing In Drugged Cookies, Cocaine

Published

on

The operatives of the National Drug Law Enforcement Agency (NDLEA) have arrested a medical doctor, Jane Chioma Ofoma, in Auchi, Edo, for selling drugged cookies and biscuits.
Its Director, Media and Advocacy, Mr Femi Babafemi, said in a statement yesterday in Abuja, that Chioma sold the drugged cookies and biscuits through an online catering service, Omachi’s kitchen.
Babafemi said the arrest followed intelligence and surveillance where narcotic officers of the Edo Command of the agency on Saturday June 19, stormed her operational base at 1 Winners Way, Auchi.
This, he said, led to her arrest and at least 94 pieces of cookies produced with cannabis sativa were recovered from the suspect.
According to him, Chioma, 26, who is a graduate of medicine from the University of Nigeria, Nsukka, recently completed her housemanship at the University of Benin Teaching Hospital.
“She has confessed to baking the cookies with skunk in her statement while under interrogation,” he said.
In the same vein, Babafemi said a 30-year-old Emmanuel Ehiramhen, of No. 10 Egan Street Ekpoma, has been arrested by officers of the Edo Command of the agency for dealing in crack cocaine.
Meanwhile, NDLEA operatives in Kwara have arrested a 52-year-old ex-Soldier, Ibrahim Musa, with 12.167 kilograms of Arizona (cannabis sativa), 4 grams of Cocaine and 25 grams of flunitrazepam.
Babafemi said the suspect was apprehended on Thursday June 17, at Oke-Odo, Tanke area of Ilorin, when he arrived from Lagos to supply his customers.
He said Musa worked in the maintenance department at Abati Army Barracks, Lagos from where he was deployed to 117 Battalion in Chibok, Borno, before he deserted the Army.
He added that the suspect had arrived Ilorin with his wife, Basirat Musa, in his Honda Accord car with registration number JJ 707 BL Lagos with the seized exhibit.
He was, however, arrested at the point of delivery by operatives of the Kwara Command of the agency.
“Under interrogation, Ibrahim revealed that while at Chibok he got the connection of a supplier of Arizona (Cannabis) and other drugs in Lagos who he immediately contacted when he deserted the Army in October 2020.
“He said he decided to go into the illicit drug business to enable him fend for his two wives and three children.
“The suspect revealed that the latest journey was his second trip to Ilorin to deliver the drugs and decided to travel with one of his wives who was not aware of his mission to Ilorin,” he said.
Babafemi quoted the Chairman, NDLEA, retired Brig. Gen. Buba Marwa as commending the Edo and Kwara Commands of the agency for their vigilance and commitment to the goal of ridding Nigeria of the menace of illicit drug trafficking and abuse.
He charged the Commanders, officers and men of the two Commands and their counterparts across the country not to relent in the discharge of their responsibilities.
He assured them of his commitment towards making their welfare a priority.

Continue Reading

Nation

13 Vehicles Burnt In Tanker Explosion On Lagos-Ibadan Expressway

Published

on

The Federal Road Safety Corps (FRSC) says six tankers, five trucks and two cars were destroyed in a tanker explosion at Ogere on the Lagos-Ibadan Expressway yesterday.
Earlier, FRSC Sector Commander in Ogun, Mr Ahmed Umar, confirmed the incident to The Tide source, saying that it occurred at about 6.20 a.m.
Umar had said the explosion occurred in front of Romona trailer park on the expressway.
Giving update, he said, “the fire is serious, six tankers, five trucks and two cars are burnt in the explosion.’’
Umar said that one person had so far been rescued and taken to a private hospital in Ogere.
Meanwhile, the Ogun State Traffic Compliance and Enforcement Corps (TRACE), has advised motorists plying the road to use alternative routes.
TRACE spokesman, Mr Babatunde Akinbiyi explained that the tanker which was laden with fuel suddenly burst into flames affecting other vehicles.
“Vehicles moving inbound Lagos should go through Saapade-Ode/Remo-Iperu-Sagamu to relink Lagos-Ibadan Expressway.
“In addition, vehicles moving inbound Ibadan should also go through Sagamu-Iperu-Ode/Remo-Saapade to relink Lagos-Ibadan Expressway,’’ Akinbiyi said.
The incident was the fifth of such tragedies involving fuel tankers in the Lagos and Ogun State axis since the beginning of the year.
A similar fuel tanker-related fire was recorded on Jan. 7 on the Apapa-Oshodi Expressway.
On March 21, a fuel tanker was the cause of fire on Otedola Bridge, also on the Lagos-Ibadan Expressway in which many vehicles were burnt.
On March 25, a diesel-laden tanker went up in flames at the Ikotun area of Lagos, leading to the incineration of other vehicles and shops.
On June 17, fire from the kitchen of a Chinese restaurant at the Ogun State Property Investments Corporation (OPIC) Plaza in Lagos trailed a leaking gas truck which was on motion in the area.
This resulted in a fire snowball which engulfed many other vehicles and property.
Twenty-five cars were destroyed in the OPIC Plaza inferno, while 13 persons, mostly workers in the restaurant, sustained burn injuries.

Continue Reading

Nation

S’ East Leaders Denounce Secessionist Groups …Seek Protection Of Igbos

Published

on

Leaders of the South East geo-political zone have urged leaders of other geo-political zones in the country to protect Igbos living in their regions, even as they condemned in totality the activities of violent secessionist groups in the zone and elsewhere. 
The lgbo leaders comprising the governors of the five states, members of the National Assembly, Ministers, Speakers of the State Houses of Assembly, the Clergy and Traditional Rulers, made their feelings known on Saturday, in a communique issued when they rose from a closed-door meeting at the Government House, Enugu. 
Explaining that they made the request in view of what they described as “threats by some groups against our people”, the South East leaders promised to protect everyone, including Igbos and people from other regions, residing in the zone.
On the impression that South East leaders are silent over agitations for secession by some youths of the region, they stated that “is not correct”, stressing that “South East Governors, Ohaneze President, National Assembly members, notable leaders had come out publicly many times in the past to speak against such agitations”.
Proclaiming firmly that “we do not support them, they do not speak for South East”,  the communiqué read by the Governor of Ebonyi State and Chairman of South East Governors’ Forum, Engr. David Umahi, made it clear that the leaders of the zone reiterated their “commitment to one united Nigeria under a platform of justice, equality of rights, fairness, love and respect for one another”.
The communiqué revealed that South East leaders, in order not to mismanage the unfortunate situation, “have set up a committee to engage such youths to stop and allow elders speak to address such fears”. 
It added that South East leaders also condemned the killing of security agents, burning of strategic infrastructure and killing of civilians in South East and in other regions, and requested the security agencies to discharge their duties within the rules of engagement and the law
They, however, explained that the meeting was held “for articulation of our positions and further meet with the Presidential team”, sequel to the earlier meeting with the Presidential delegation, led by the Minister of Defence, Retired Maj. Gen. Bashir Magashi, on June 11, 2021.
The communiqué disclosed that the meeting consequently “set up committees under Ohaneze Ndigbo to articulate and address our positions on all burning issues to further meet among ourselves and thereafter meet with the Presidential team”.
On the safety of the Igbo indigenes in other parts of the country and the newly established regional security outfit, the communiqué added that the “meeting directed our Governors and Ohaneze Ndigbo to liaise with indigenes from the northern part of Nigeria and indigenes of other regions to assure the nation, Nigeria, and their people of their safety in South East.
“The meeting endorsed our South East joint security outfit – Ebubeagu and asked them to work with security agencies and to respect the rights and privileges of all those living in the South East and our visitors”.

By: Canice Amadi, Enugu

Continue Reading

Trending