We bring to you today a countdown of the top ten notable breakups in the Nigerian music industry climaxing with the most recent- that of evervone’s beloved Mohits crew. 10 Remedies- Comprising of the talented trio of rapper cum singer Eedris Abdu!kareem, Tony Tetuila and Eddy Remedy, this was one of the groups thatdefined the style now known as “Naija Hip Hop”. The Remedies was formed in 1997 and hitsongs like “shakarno” and “omoge” endeared them to millions of people all over West Africa. The group split up in 1999 when the henchman of the crew, Eedris Abdulkareern decided to launch a solo career.
Eedris Abdulkareem’s solo career started off to glistening start with the release of 3 successful albums with the Kennis Music label-imprint between 2002 and 2004. His fortunes however took a downturn :n 1004 after a fracas with the American r per 50 cent His subsequent album “King is Back” was released on his La Creme record label and he still has a visible presence on the naija music scene.
Tony Tetuila also did very well on his own with smash hit songs like “om ode meta”, I’m in love with 2 Nomen” and “my car” which became a street sensation. He has 5 albums to date. The third member of the group Eddy Remedy was ‘unfortunately not able to kick-start a successful solo career. He has an album “Leave Eddy Alone” to his credit, plantashun Boyz- This defunct group of 3 comprising of 2face, Faze and BlackFace needs no introduction, especially as one of them- Zface- has gone on to become a legend of African contemporary music. They released two albums, Body and Soul(2000) and Sold Out(2003) before going their separate ways in 2004. 2face has since gone on to release 4 multiple award winning albums (Face 2 Face (2004), Grass 2 Grace (2006), The Unstoppable (2008) and The Unstoppable International Edition in 2010, bag numerous prestigious awards and nominations and become anIcon of Nigerian and African Music all over the world.
Faze has released three albums since- Faze Alone (2004), “Independent” which spawned several hit singles in 2006 and Originality (2008).
BlackFace has only one album to his credit. He also co-wrote 2face’s breakthrough single- African queen. The Plantasr.un Boyz collaborated on a reunion album titled “Plan B” in 2007.
8 Maintain-The trio of Olu, Tolu and Bamo came to national prominence on the back of hit songs like “I “catch cold”’and “Nibo la wa gbe 10”. After six albums between 1998 and 2004, the group split up after the exit of Olu in 2005. Olu Maintain went on to release two albums- “Yahooze/Maintain Reloaded” a successful effort which spawned the mega hit single, “Yahooze” and Kentro World(2009). Big Barno released a well-received album “popotiti” but since seems to have taken a leave from recording music.
Except from occasionally featuring in a few songs Tolu has not had a significant solo career since the breakup of Maintain.
7 Eedris Abdulkareem and Kennis Music- The then number one Naija artiste parted ways with the premier record label after the 2004 scuffle between Eedris and 50 cent and it marked a significant change in the artiste’s career. The artiste released his fourth album on his own La Creme imprint but has subsequently signed back with Kennis Music.
6 2face and,ICennis Music- After a mutually beneficial relationship that gave birth to 2 award winning ‘albums, 2faceteft Kennis Music without much ado in 2008. He has his own record label- Hypertek Entertainment.
5 Kelly Handsome and …. You Know Already J- Kelly Handsome came to national prominence with the release of his chart topping hit single Maga in 2007. “Mr. Maga” left Kennis Music amidst a lot of controversy in 2010 and he has even been said to swear that he will never forgive Kenny Ogungbe and Dayo Adeneye, the Kennis Music top men although he later tendered an apology. He released only one album (Too much money in 2008) on the Kennis records imprint.
4 9ice and Id Cabasa- Not too long after the release of platinum selling album “Gongo Aso” in 2007, 9ice and longtime friend and producer Id Cabasa fell out due to settlement and payment issues. Basorun Gaa” does not seems to have been slowed down by this as he has within a short while built up his own record label, released 3 successful albums and has even signed a few upcoming acts as well.
Nigeria Dominates At Sound City Awards Festival
The Sound City (MVP) award festival took place on January 11 at Eko Hotel and Suites in Lagos and Several Nigerian music stars won big at the event. The event which saw the amazing performances from top African music stars including Davido, Tiwa Savage, Tekno and Diamond Platrnz among others left the audience enthralled and excited for what the evening held.
Well as expected, several Nigerian stars shone bright at the event as they snagged awards in different categories. Burna Boy for one emerged winner in the three different categories, while Davido, Fireboy, Teni, Joe boy and Tiwa Savage won an award each in other categories. Rave of the moment, Rema snagged the new MVP award.
The winners are:
– Best new MVP – Rema (Nigeria)
– Best collaboration – ‘Gugulethu’ Prince Kaybee (South Africa)
– Best pop-Joe boy (Nigeria)
– Best Hip hop – Khaligrah Jones (Kenya)
– Best Duo – Dope Nation (Ghana)
– Africa producer of the year-Rexxie (Nigeria)
– Best female (MVP) Teni (Nigeria)
– Best male (MVP) – Burna Boy (Nigeria)
– African DJ of the year-DJ Sping II (Nigeria)
– Digital Artiste of the year – Davido (Nigeria)
– Listeners choice Award-‘Jealousy’ – Fireboy NML (Nigeria)
– Video of the year-Tiwa Savage by Meji Alabi (Nigeria)
– Song of the year -‘Killin Demi Burna boy (Nigeria)
– Meanwhile, the 13th edition of the Headies award which took place at Eko Hotel and Suites witnessed amazing performances from talented acts as well a Nigerian celebrities turning up in style.
Teni and Falz were some of the big winners of the night. While Teni won four awards, for Best Vocal performance (female), Best recording of the year, best pop single and Headies viewers choice awards, Falz bagged three awards for best rap singer, best rap album and album of the year awards.
Top 20 Most Viewed Nigerian Music Videos Of The Decade
The decade in view is between January 1, 2010 and December 31, 2019.
1. Fall by Davido (153 million views): The song is the biggest cross-over Nigerian pop song ever. It charted on Billboard’s digital airplay chart. The weirdness is how the song began charting in the US two years after its release. Cardi B also leaked an unreleased remix to the song.
2.Way Maker by Sinach (136 million views): This is the biggest Nigerian cross-over song ever. It is sung in churches across the world and performed by Kanye West’s Sunday Service Choir.
3.Pana by Tekno (116 million views): In 2016, this song was huge in the US – especially the major cities. Ebro Darden confirmed it in a chat with Davido on Ebro In The Morning circa 2018.
4.Johnny by Yemi Alade (111 million views): This was the biggest pop song by a female Nigerian artist in the past decade. It also catapulted Yemi Alade into superstardom.
5.Mad Over You by Runtown (98 million views): This was the song that defined an entire era of Nigerian music. This era was the heavy Ghana-influenced sound of 2016. It was also the biggest song of 2016.
6. If by Davido (97 million views): ‘Fall’ might have been the biggest cross-over song from Davido’s immense 2017 run, but ‘IF’ started that run.
7. Personally by P-Square (95 million views): This was one of the final mega hits of P Square’s run.
8. Do Like That by Korede Bello (89 million views): A surprise on the list, considering it’s not even close to being Bello’s biggest song.
9. Come Closer by Wizkid (86 million views): This was the second collaboration between Wizkid and Drake. The song was slightly lukewarm in Nigeria, but it was a pivotal part of ‘afrobeats to the world.’
10. On The Low by Burna Boy (85 million views): After Burna’s run with his sixth studio project, Outside, this was his follow-up single and boy, did it blow up?
11.Kontrol by Maleek Berry (76 million views): Despite Maleek Berry’s 2017 run, this is another surprise on the list.
12.Collabo by P-Square (75.5 million views): This was a power collaboration in Nigerian music. Don Jazzy ran a hook with longtime pals, P Square. They were also dramatic in the music video – three men obsessing over a beautiful woman.
13. Bank Alert by P-Square (75.3 million views): This was another one of the final hits P Square had.
14. FIA by Davido (71 million views): In Nigeria, this was arguably Davido’s biggest hit of 2017 – it was as if the song stayed true to its title. Upon release, it went nuclear.
15. Shekini by P-Square (70 million views): This is P Square’s third entrance on the list.
16. Duro by Tekno (68.7 million views): This was the second song on Tekno’s immense 2016 run.
17.I Know Who I Am by Sinach (68.5 million views): This was the Nigerian gospel song of 2015 – everywhere, people make noise.
18. Soco by Wizkid (62 million views): After a fairly lukewarm 2017, Wizkid returned with a bang of bangs. ‘Soco’ was arguably Nigeria’s song of the year for 2018.
19. Aye by Davido (58 million views): This is Davido’s fourth entry on the list.
20.Only You Jesus by Ada (56 million views): The third gospel song on this list.
Davido Goes To Church With Crew
Nigerian music super star, David Adeleke popularly known by his stage name ‘Davido’ recently left many social media visors impressed after he attended church with his cousin, B – Red and his crew.
For many super stars, time is often a luxury with their busy schedule and many confess to not having enough free time to even spend sometimes with their God in their places of worship.
However, Davido proved one can never be too busy for God when he attended church with his boys. He took to his instastory to share videos from his time spent praising and worshipping God in a church.
It was only a few months ago when he proved himself a man who takes his spiritual life seriously as he left social media buzzing with excitement with a video from the naming ceremony of his son on which he was praying for his new born son and fiancée Chioma.
In the video, the ‘Risky’ crooner can be heard thanking God for their lives and for keeping himself and Chioma together as they have known each other since he was 18 years.
He prayed that his son will grow to become a better man and achieve move than he has done.
Meanwhile, the singer has shared some of the goals he intends to achieve in 2020. According to him, he will be adding to his collection of luxury properties, buy new cars, houses and private jets.
The music star also shared a video on his instagram page in which he was spotted with wealthy business mogul, Soso Soberekon who handed him some foreign currencies which the singer sprayed around the living room.
Politics3 days ago
Retain Presidency, Create Crisis In Nigeria
Sports3 days ago
MFM FC Declare Oriyomi Murtala Lawal AWOL
Politics3 days ago
Anambra South: Ifeanyi Ubah Faults Judegment, Files Appeal
Politics3 days ago
2023: APC Chief Hails Gowon’s Stand On Igbo Presidency
Sports3 days ago
We Need To Work Hard For Success – Eguma
Politics3 days ago
Supreme Court Has Altered Imo Political Calendar-Lawyer
Politics3 days ago
S’Court Judgement: Politicians Embark On Prayer Sessions In Bauchi
Politics3 days ago
Speaker Joins In Marking Armed Forces Remembrance Day