The police has arraigned Kabiru Salisu, 26, of Kurudu and Ebijimi Adeola, 35, of Karu at the Karu Upper Area Court for alleged disturbance of public peace.
Police prosecutor, Francis Udifai told the court that on May 4, at about 9 a.m., the accused persons engaged in physical combat at Abattoir market in Karu, Abuja.
He added that during police investigation, it was discovered that the accused had disagreement during meat supplies to their customers at the market.
He further said that the offence contravened provisions of section 113 of the Penal Code.
The accused persons, however, pleaded not guilty to the charge.
The presiding judge, Alhaji Umar Kagarko, granted bail to the accused in the sum of N20,000 each and a surety each in like sum.
He adjourned the case to July 1 for further hearing.
Governor Murtala Nyako of Adamawa State has inaugurated the sale of fertiliser for the 2013 farming season to farmers in the state.
Nyako urged farmers to take advantage of the government’s various agricultural programmes to facilitate agricultural production.
The governor, who was represented by the Secretary to the State Government, Mr Kobis Aris, gave assurance that the government would continue to support farmer groups in the state.
He also assured farmers that the government would partner with international and national agencies in promoting the state’s agriculture sector.
Earlier, the Commissioner for Agriculture, Mrs Lucy Ishaku, said that the launch was an annual event intended to herald the formal commencement of the sale of inputs to farmers.
Wife of Benue State governor and founder of the SEV-AV Foundation, Mrs. Yemisi Suswam has been named the face of Akata fishing and Cultural Festival.
The festival, a celebration of the rich culture of the Tiv people in Benue State, will begin on Tuesday, June 4, 2013.
A statement issued in Lagos by the principal consultant, Gren Business Dimensions, Mrs. Rosemary Duamlong named the first lady of the state as the ambassador and face of Akata 2013 because of her achievements in the area of women and youths empowerment through the SEV-AV Foundation.
The statement commended Mrs. Suswam for the establishment of crafts and skills acquisition centres at Vandeikya and Gboko, Sev-Av Agro-processing Centre in Katsina-Ala and Ukum Local Government Areas and the three PMTCT Clinics in Vandeikya, Gboko and Otukpo.
The Jigawa State Scholarship Board on Thursday said it had disbursed more than N200 million bursary to indigent students in the state.
The Executive Secretary of the board, Alhaji Babandi Abubakar, said in Dutse that, 11, 218 students benefited from the exercise.
Abubakar said the beneficiaries include 3, 074 students studying in various state and federal universities and 4, 606 students of the colleges of education. He said that 3, 538 students of the polytechnics also benefited from the scholarship.
Abubakar explained that, the board had deployed personnel to more than 60 universities and other tertiary institutions in the country for the payment of the money.
He said that the gesture was part of the state government’s effort to assist the students and promote academic excellence.
The Kebbi State Command of the Nigeria Security and Civil Defence Corps (NSCDC) has said that it would prosecute three suspects for theft.
Our correspondent reports that the suspects were arrested in Dukku section of the metropolis for possession of diesel suspected to be stolen.
The state NSCDC Commandant, Alhaji Aminu Abubakar, told newsmen in Birnin Kebbi that the suspects had been in the custody of the corps.
He said the first suspect confessed to the theft while the second denied involvement in the crime. He said the third suspect, a commercial motorist, however, admitted that he was instructed by the second suspect, a businessman, to load the commodity for him before they were arrested.
Hundreds of people displaced in the current face-off between Fulani herdsmen and Agatus in Benue State are now taking refuge in some communities in Kogi State.
Governor Idris Wada of Kogi State confirmed this in Lokoja during a meeting with the chairmen of the 21 local government councils in the state.
He said that the displaced persons, including women and children, took refuge in Bagana, Abejukolo and six other communities in Omala Local Government of area of the state.
The Governor said that the influx of people from Benue to Kogi was an indication that the government and the chairmen of local government councils must be on red alert.
Earlier in the day, the Chairman of Omala Local Government, Alhaji Labaran Oigebe, expressed concern over the influx of Agatus from Benue into his local government.
The newly-appointed Commissioner of Police in Kwara State, Mr. Agboola Oshodi-Glover, on Tuesday formally assumed office at the police headquarters, Ilorin.
Our correspondent reports that the police boss arrived at the office at about 8.00 am.
Oshodi-Glover, while addressing newsmen, warned criminals to keep away from the state.
The commissioner urged the people of the state to continue to give useful information to police to curb crime to the barest minimum.
Oshodi-Glover is the 28th commissioner of police in Kwara and succeeds the late Mr Chinweke Asadu who was assassinated at his native home in Enugu in February.
The Director of Studies, Lagos School of Travels and Tourism, Mr Segun Adeshina, said the institute had trained 2,800 students in eight years.
Adeshina told newsmen in Lagos that the management of the school had been training an average of 350 students per year since 2005.
The director expressed the need to train more professionals to explore and develop the industry to meet foreign standard.
He noted the shortfall of professionals in the industry, and called for establishment of more tourism schools to produce additional professionals.
Adeshina urged the Federal Government to invest more resources in the sector so that more people could be employed.
The Nasarawa State Commissioner for Education, Mr Hussaini Abubakar, said on Thursday that principals and teachers found to be aiding students in examination malpractice would be sanctioned.
The commissioner who gave the warning in an interview in Lafia said that government would not spare anyone found indulging in the act.
He warned that chief education officers of any examination centre that had been de-registered by WAEC or NECO as a result of malpractice would also be sanctioned.
He charged education officers to ensure proper monitoring of the ongoing WAEC examinations in their schools to reduce malpractice.
Abubakar also called on parents, conniving with teachers to perpetrate the act to desist as the government would not hesitate to sanction them.
“Anybody that is caught involved in it, be it a teacher, principal, student, parents or anybody in the system would face the full wrath of the law,” he said.
The commissioner also called on the management of private schools across the state to also guard against the act.
A Federal High Court in Jos, Plateau State has dismissed a case of negligence brought against security agencies by some victims of 2011 attack at Rukuba road, Jos.
One Mohammed Abdullahi and 10 others had filed a suit on behalf of 27 others before Justice Ambrose Allagoa, claimed that they were attacked by some miscreants on Auugust 29, 2011 at a praying ground.
The plaintiffs, through their counsel, Mr. Hassan Liman (SAN), claimed that during the attack, they sustained injuries while some lost their lives and property worth millions of naira.
Liman prayed the court to compel the Federal Government and its agencies to pay his clients N100 million as general damage and N280,000 being expenses incurred on treatment of injuries sustained during the attack.
But the counsel to the security agencies, Mr Ali Zachariah, who also represented the Attorney-General of the Federation, objected to the claims, saying that the court lacked the jurisdiction to entertain the case.
Zechariah prayed the court to dismiss the entire case for lack of merit.
Allagoa, in his ruling, struck out the case for lack of merit.
“This case didn’t fall within the purview of section 251 (1) of 1999 Constitution in view of the proviso therein, therefore this court lacks the jurisdiction to entertain this matter.
“Since the case was not brought in a way of writ of summon, it is hereby struck out, “ the Judge said.
He added that by virtue of that ruling, three similar cases before him had collapsed and therefore dismissed.
Shortly after the ruling, Zachariah told newsmen that he was satisfied with the ruling and described it as “well thought out“.
But Liman, who spoke through Mr. Aliyu Sange, said “we are heading to the court of appeal to challenge this ruling which is a miscarriage of Justice.”
NHRC Seeks Prioritisation Of Children’s Rights In National, State Budgets
The Executive Secretary of the National Human Rights Commission, Mr Tony Ojukwu, has called for the prioritisation of child rights issues in both the national and state budgets.
Ojukwu, represented by Abdulrahman Yakubu, director, political and civil education rights in the commission made the call in Abuja at an event organised by the commission to commemorate the 2021 International Day for the African Child (DAC), celebrated every June 16.
He also called for alignment of national implementation plans of the Child’s Rights Act with international action plans like the Agenda 2040 and the Sustainable Development Goals (SDG) agenda to ensure a more holistic and measurable implementation outcome
“While progress has been made on the implementation of the Child’s Rights Act and Laws across the states that have adopted it, challenges bordering on non-prioritisation of child rights in the budget, poverty.
“Harmful traditional practices, inadequate access to educational and health services, armed conflicts and more recently the COVID-19 pandemic have continued to slow down process across all sectors.
“I call on all concerned Ministry , Departments and Agencies and child-focused organisations to explore new tools and innovations like technology and social media to accelerate the implementation of child-based laws and policies in the country,” he said.
He also called for the adoption and implementation of measures to ensure universal health coverage, access to quality health-care services for all while closing all gender and vulnerability gaps.
Ojukwu also called for equal access to compulsory and quality education to all children, including children in rural communities, the girl child, children living with disabilities, children in conflict and humanity settings.
“We must address the root cause of conflict and engage early warning mechanisms to eliminate the impact of armed conflicts on children” he said.
The executive secretary said the DAC serves as a strong advocacy and sensitization tool for implementation of children’s rights.
“Beyond honouring the memory of the fallen heroes, the DAC celebration calls for introspection and self-assessment by the AU member states on the level of child rights implementation in respective countries.
The theme for the 2021 DAC celebration as selected by the African committee of Experts on the Rights and welfare of the child, he said, 30 years after the adoption of the charter: accelerate the implementation of the Agenda 2040 for an Africa fit for children.
In a goodwill message, the Country Representative of UN Women Nigeria, Ms Comfort Lamptey called for education-in-emergencies in Borno, Yobe and Adamawa.
The country representative, represented by Patience Ekeoba, National Programme Officer, UN Women Nigeria, Lamptey said that children of these three conflict affected states need education -in-emergencies.
“ In the north east of Nigeria, 2. 8 million children need education -in-emergencies support. No fewer than 802 schools remained closed and 497 classrooms are listed as destroyed with another 1, 392 damaged but repairable in Borno, Yobe and Adamawa.
“In addition to this, the COVID-19, insecurity and humanitarian crisis and other prevailing challenges have presented new and additional challenges,” she said
“A lot of countries in Africa have robust legal frameworks policies, conventions and other frameworks that guarantee the rights of the child,” she added.
Court Rejects EFCC’s Request To Amend Charge In Ex-NNPC GMD’s Trial
A Federal High Court in Abuja has rejected an application by the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC) to amend its charge in the $9.8million, £74,000 fraud trial of an ex-Group Managing Director (GMD) of the Nigerian National Petroleum Corporation (NNPC), Andrew Yakubu.
Justice Ahmed Mohammed, in a ruling, yesterday, held that granting the application by the EFCC would amount to varying a subsisting judgment given by the Court of Appeal, Abuja on April 24, 2020, where it, among others, ordered Yakubu to enter defence in relation to counts three and four of the six counts originally contained in the charge on which he was arraigned.
Justice Mohammed was emphatic that allowing the prosecution (the EFCC) to amend the charge was tantamount to disobeying the subsisting order made by the Court of Appeal in its judgment of April 24, 2020.
The EFCC claimed that its operatives, acting on a tip-off, raided Yakubu’s house located on Chikun Road, Sabon Tasha area of Kaduna South Local Government Area of Kaduna State on February 3, 2017, and recovered the $9,772,800 and £74,000 cash kept in a fire proof safe.
It arraigned Yakubu on March 16, 2017, on a six-count charge relating to money laundering offences.
He was among others, accused of failing to make full disclosure of assets, receiving cash without going through a financial institution, which borders on money laundering and intent to avoid a lawful transaction under law, transported at various times to Kaduna, the aggregate sum of $9,772,800 and £74,000.
The prosecution closed its case on October 17, 2018, after calling seven witnesses.
The seventh prosecution witness, an operative of the EFCC, Suleiman Mohammed, spoke about how his team recovered the $9,772,000 and £74,000 cash in Yabubu’s house in Kaduna, which was later deposited in CBN in Kano.
At the closure of the prosecution’s case, Yakubu made a no-case submission, which Justice Mohammed, in a ruling on May 16, 2019, partially upheld by striking out two of the six counts contained in the charge and ordered Yakubu to enter defence in relation to the remaining four counts.
The judge was of the view that the prosecution failed to prove counts five and six of the charge, which related to allegation of unlawful transportation of the money.
“Even though I am tempted to discharge the defendant on counts one to four, I am, however, constrained to ask the defendant to explain how he came about the monies recovered from his house.
“Fortified with my position, the defendant is hereby ordered to enter his defence in respect of counts one to four,” Justice Mohammed said in the May 16, 2019, ruling.
Dissatisfied, Yakubu challenged the decision at the Court of Appeal, Abuja, which, in a ruling on April 24, 2020, upheld Justice Mohammed’s ruling and proceeded to strike out two more counts – one and two – in the charge.
The Court of Appeal, then, ordered Yakubu to enter his defence in respect of the remaining two counts – three and four.
Proceedings later resumed at the Federal High Court, with the defendant commencing his defence as ordered by the Court of Appeal.
But, on March 10 this year, the prosecution applied for leave to amend its charge, arguing among others, that the law allows the prosecution to amend charge at any stage of the proceedings before judgment.
The defence countered, arguing that the Court of Appeal, in its judgment of April 24, 2020, made an order to guide further proceedings in the trial.
It noted that the Court of Appeal ordered that the defendant was only to enter defence in relation to counts three and four in respect of which a prima facie case was established.
The defence urged the court to refuse the prosecution’s application for amendment and allow the defendant to continue with his defence, a prayer Justice Mohammed granted in his ruling, yesterday.
When the judge ended the ruling, yesterday, the defence indicated its intention to proceed with its case, but the court elected to adjourn till June 30 following plea by the prosecution for an adjournment on the grounds that the lead prosecuting lawyer was not immediately available.
Economist Challenges W’Bank’s Prediction On Nigeria’s Inflation Rate
An economist, Prof. Akpan Ekpo, has queried World Bank’s prediction that Nigeria’s inflation rate is expected to rise to fifth highest in Sub-Saharan Africa by the end of 2021.
Ekpo, a professor of Economics and Public Policy at the University of Uyo, Akwa Ibom State, questioned the prediction in an interview with The Tide source yesterday in Lagos.
Recall the bank’s Lead Economist for Nigeria, Macro Hernandez while presenting its six-monthly update on development in Nigeria on Tuesday, said Nigeria was lagging the rest of sub-Saharan Africa, with food inflation.
Hernandez included heightened insecurity and stalled reforms as slowing growth and increasing poverty.
The professor said: “First of all, we need to examine the methodology the World Bank used to arrive at the conclusion because we know that inflation has declined slightly.”
Ekpo, also Chairman, Foundation for Economic Research and Training in Lagos, said, however, that if government could solve the insecurity problems limiting economic growth and increase Agricultural production, the prediction might not hold.
According to him, there are countries with double digits inflation and still doing well.
“This means you can have inflation and yet your GDP is growing, so, it’s when you have what we call run-away or hyper inflation that is when you get worried.
“Run-away inflation means that prices are increasing everyday or every month without control,” he said.
On predictions that the inflation would push seven million more Nigerians into poverty due to falling purchasing power, Ekpo gave a suggestion to the federal government to stem it.
He urged the Federal Government to seriously implement the National Poverty Reduction with Growth Strategy Programme and the Economic Sustainability Plan documents.
“I cannot fault them on this one because already, the National Bureau of Statistics (NBS) said about 85 million Nigerians are living in poverty.
“So, World Bank just saying that confirms what our own NBS has already said.
“Now, if the government implements the National Poverty Reduction initiative document as well as the Economic Sustainability plan seriously, then we can begin to reduce the poverty rate.
“Then the economy must grow double digits, that is, 10 per cent and above for us to see reduction in poverty and more jobs creation as well, because poverty is linked to unemployment,” he added.
- Politics4 days ago
2023: PDP Flexes Muscle Over C’ River
- Niger Delta4 days ago
Ayade Is Regretting Joining APC – Secondus
- Politics4 days ago
Govs To Hold Virtual Meeting On Judicial, Legislative Autonomy
- Politics4 days ago
Afenifere, Ohanaeze, S’ South Harp On New Constitution
- Entertainment2 days ago
Alibaba, Banky W, Others Attend Wizkid’s Debut Album’s 10th Anniversary
- Niger Delta4 days ago
Diri Gives Operational Vehicles To Security Agencies
- Business4 days ago
Stakeholders Meet To Assess Nigeria’s Preparedness For AFCFTA
- Business4 days ago
Air Passengers Protest Seizure Of Vehicles, Extortion At PH Airport