The caucus of Ebonyi State lawmakers in the National Assembly in Abuja has cautioned the Ibeto Cement Company Limited to hands off the Nigercem factory in Nkalagu.
Reports say that the Nkalagu cement factory, established in 1954, was jointly owned by the Federal Government and the five states in the South East zone.
The Tide also gathered that Eastern Bulkcem Limited, the core investor purportedly sold the company to Ibeto Group due to its lack of capacity to revive the moribund cement factory.
The caucus comprises senators and House of Representatives members from Ebonyi State in the National Assembly.
The Chairman of the Senate Committee on Police, Sen. Paulinus, issued the warning recently while addressing newsmen on behalf of Ebonyi lawmakers at the National Assembly.
Sen. Igwe was accompanied by Senators Chris Nwankwo, Sunny Ogbuoji, Rep. Peter Oge; Rep. Linus Aba-Okorie; Rep.Tobias Okwuru, Rep. Sylvester Ogbaga and Rep. Christopher Omo-Isu.
He lamented that the core investor was not keen on reviving the cement factory because due process was not followed in the privatisation of the factory.
He stated that Eastern Bulkcem Company, which came on board as core investor since 2002, had failed to convince the Ebonyi Government that it possesses the capacity to revive the moribund factory.
“Several years after the privatisation of the company, it became evident that the core investor was neither interested in nor capable of reactivating the company.
“It soon dawned on all and sundry that the core investor only acquired Nigercem as a means of gaining import licences from the federal government.
“We advice the Ibeto Group and its cohorts to keep away from Nigercem and Ebonyi State, as our people will never permit the fraudulent exploitation of its economic heritage,’’ he warned.
Sen. Igwe said the Caucus endorsed the efforts of Gov. Martins Elechi -led administration to modernise Nigercem in the overall economic interest of Ebonyi State.
However, speaking after the briefing, Rep. Peter Edeh, accused the group of bidding of some powerful individuals in the government house in Abakaliki.
Edeh represents Ezza North/Ishielu Federal Constituency of Ebonyi State.
Edeh requested that his name be removed from the list of the group because the other law makers were working in concert with the state government for some vested interests outside the state.
He said: “I hail from the local government where the company is located. What the state government is doing by fighting the core investor amount to sabotaging the economy of the state.
“I suspect that there is a sinister hand from outside, particularly, that of a strong cartel using the state government to frustrate the revival of the factory.‘’
Edeh said that the moves to frustrate the core investor from reviving the cement factory posed a serious threat to the economic wellbeing of the people of the area.
Traders Protest FG’s Move To Restore Festac Town
The move by the Federal Government to restore Festac Town in Lagos to its original status has sparked up protest among traders occupying Agboju Amuwo Planks and Building Materials Market.
The traders on Wednesday, protested at the FHA office in Festac Town against the demolition of their market, following the demolition of illegal structures by the Federal Housing Authority (FHA) ahead of the restoration.
The Tide recalls that there was a petition to the Minister of Works and Housing, Mr Babatunde Fashola, in 2020 about illegal structures that had taken over Festac Town.
Speaking at a stakeholders’ meeting on the restoration of Festac town organised by FHA, last year, its South-West Zonal Manager, Mr Akintola Olagbemiro, said, “This year, we commenced the restoration of Festac town, following the consent judgement from the court against illegal occupants of Festac land.
“Our action is to save the residents from the insecurity that has taken over the entire Festac town as a result of illegal structures everywhere”.
The chairman of allottees of First Gate to Third Gate, Mr Kole Olatunji, in his remarks at the meeting said the land from First Gate to Third Gate was allocated between 1985 and 1999, noting that with the consent judgment, original owners of the land as allocated should take over their plots.
But the chairman of plank market, Muhammed Bello, protested the seven-day notice given to traders to vacate the place without alternative arrangements.
Bello said: “How do they expect us to remove our wares in seven days?
“What we want is that they should allow us to remain there and we will pay whatever amount they ask us to pay”.
Speaking in the same vein, the chairman of Cane Chair and Furniture Association, Emmanuel Okoye said: “We need freedom. Let them tell us where they want us to stay. That place was swampy. We filled the place with several millions of Naira which we got as loans.
“We also rely on loans to do our business. Whatever the government wants us to pay; we are ready to pay to remain there. We have been there for 27 years. What we lost to the demolition is over N300 million”.
Fuel Tanker Explosion Kills Five, Injures Two In Ogun
No fewer than five persons were on Wednesday burnt to death, while two others sustained first degree of injury in a fuel tanker explosion at Ajilete, along Owode-Idiroko road, in Yewa South local government area of Ogun State.
Eyewitness accounts revealed that a truck bearing 33,000 litres of petroleum product was descending the steep portion of the road when its tank suddenly detached from truck’s body and tumbled to the ground with a bang.
The explosion, the witnesses said, killed five persons on the spot, while two other persons were injured.
The Tide learnt that the seven victims were all residents of the area where the accident occurred.
Confirming the incident, the Federal Road Safety Corps (FRSC) Commander, Idiroko Unit, Akinwunmi Olaluwoye, said five deaths were recorded in the accident which occurred at about 8.15 am on Wednesday.
According to him, the remains of the dead had been claimed by their families.
He disclosed that a bus and a motorcycle were also caught in a web of the explosion and razed.
He said, “no vehicle rammed into the tanker. The tank dropped off from the back of the tanker and exploded. The number of persons involved are seven; five dead, two injured.
“The driver had taken away the head of the truck as at the time we got there. But we have allowed the police to take charge and handle that aspect”.
Travellers To Access $4,000 As CBN Boosts Forex Supplies
Nigerians travelling abroad can now access a maximum amount of $4,000 foreign exchange from banks following the Central Bank of Nigeria’s (CBN) announcement to increase forex supplies.
The CBN had said in a recent statement that it had concluded plans to increase the amount of foreign exchange allocated to banks to meet legitimate needs.
This followed the warning by the CBN Governor, Mr Godwin Emefiele, to Deposit Money Banks to desist from denying customers the opportunity to purchase foreign exchange.
The purposes to access forex included Personal Travel Allowance, Basic Travel Allowance, tuition fees, and medical payments as well as Small and Medium Enterprises transactions or for the repatriation of Foreign Direct Investment proceeds, the CBN had stated.
Sources from some of the banks said those travelling on business trips could also access a maximum amount of $5,000 for each trip.
At a virtual Bankers’ Committee meeting last week, the bankers discussed how the CBN intended to assist with forex to ensure availability for the upcoming summer period and the return of students to school in September.
The CBN also said the BDCs would continue to have their weekly allocations.
The committee observed that the rates were going up.
It stated, “The CBN has said that all the banks must make availability at all times and anyone who wants to buy BTA, PTA, medical fees, student school fees and all the eligible invisible purchases to ensure that Nigerians are not forced to go and queue in the parallel market.
“So what the Central Bank is doing is to encourage all banks to make sure that there is available forex at all times, and that his information should be communicated on all our platforms.
“We are asking our customers to come to the branches and for BTA, for example, present the required documents, which are basically your international passport, your visa, your valid ticket and fill up the form in the bank.
“And what we have been instructed to do is ensure that we don’t turn anybody back and that we should request from the Central Bank once we exhaust the forex that we have.
“The idea is to have a hitch-free summer period and the resumption for children to go back to school. The idea is to ensure there is less pressure on the forex and then the rates will come down”.
Speaking during the virtual meeting, the Group Managing Director, Access Bank, Herbert Wigwe, said, “I think again as part of the Central Bank’s role in terms of price stability and the need to support small and medium enterprises, there was highlight of the need for banks to go and support SMEs who import small raw materials for them to set up their businesses”.
The Managing Director, Ecobank, Patrick Akinwuntan, said, “All banks are available to ensure forex need is met.”
Managing Director, Sterling Bank, Abubakar Suleiman, said the CBN had provided sufficient foreign exchange to meet the needs of all legitimate Nigerian travellers and therefore, the idea of going to any other market should not arise at all.
- Politics5 days ago
2023: PDP Flexes Muscle Over C’ River
- Niger Delta5 days ago
Ayade Is Regretting Joining APC – Secondus
- Politics5 days ago
Govs To Hold Virtual Meeting On Judicial, Legislative Autonomy
- Entertainment3 days ago
Alibaba, Banky W, Others Attend Wizkid’s Debut Album’s 10th Anniversary
- Politics5 days ago
Afenifere, Ohanaeze, S’ South Harp On New Constitution
- Business5 days ago
Stakeholders Meet To Assess Nigeria’s Preparedness For AFCFTA
- Niger Delta5 days ago
Diri Gives Operational Vehicles To Security Agencies
- Business5 days ago
Air Passengers Protest Seizure Of Vehicles, Extortion At PH Airport