2015: Group Urges Jonathan To Re-Contest

0
236

Youths in the oil-rich Niger Delta region, have urged President Goodluck Jonathan and  Vice President, Namadi Sambo to go ahead and recontest the Presidency come 2015.

The youths under the aegis of Niger Delta Youth Coalition  (NDYC) said the nation, as at present, still needed the peaceful disposition of the duo and their sustained effort towards peaceful development of Nigeria and its nascent democracy.

National Co-ordinator of NDYC, Prince Emmanuel Ogba who stated this while addressing newsmen  at Port Harcourt International Airport Omagwa, last Saturday noted that the level- headedness and wisdom of the President and his vice had saved the country from possible break-up due to the Boko Haram sect’s activities and commended them for their enduring spirit and maturity.

“We have seen sustained stability in the distribution and availability of petroleum products, a good sign which began with the late President Umaru Musa Yar’Adua with Jonathan as then Vice President, we have seen sustained and improved power supply,” the co-ordinator said and also lauded the duo for what he described as dogged fight against terrorism.

The group also remarked” we have seen democracy deepened under President Jonathan’s administration,” we have seen a better Nigeria.”

Prince Ogba, who believed that President Jonathan’s successes should be consolidated, appealed to Nigerians irrespective  of tribal, religious and political differences, to add their voices in urging President Jonathan to recontest in the next presidential election to enable him consolidate on the laudable progress so far made.

NDYC  frowned at the recent revelation that 83 per cent of oil blocks in the country were owned by northerners while the Niger Delta, the goose that lays the golden egg own less than 17 per cent.

“What a shame and injustice; he queried and reiterated the group’s stand for 100 per cent resource control for all regions as they contribute to the nation’s economy while the central government pays taxes to host communities stressing that resource control would be in the interest of all regions and not only the Niger Delta.

Reacting to the recent killing of seven foreign nationals in Nigeria by Boko Haram sect, NDYC condemned the act, and backed the President’s stand not to withdraw JTF from the troubled parts of the North ravaged by the sect activities and also suggested that instead of withdrawing the JTF, it should be urged to now begin massive combing of the troubled spots by JTF.

“If the north which is the problem area fronting the so called faceless Boko Haram sect are tired of being Nigerians, it should be allowed to go on its own and let peace reign for those Nigerians that still have faith in the Nigerian project;” Ogba said.

 

Chris Oluoh