One month after the University of Port Harcourt was closed and academic activities suspended due to security concerns arising from the killings of four students of the University the management of the institution has released the amended academic calendar which fixed the second semester examinations uptil December 7th, 2012.
The Public Relations Officer of the University, Dr. Williams Wodi told The Tide in an interview that the school resumed formally to conclude academic activities adding that the academic calendar was not substantially affected by the closure because the students were already into the revision week before the incident.
According to him, “what we simply did was that we resumed school, some lecturers did some revision and examinations started in earnest.
“The examinations would end on December 7 and that was our original date, ofcourse.
“Examinations are on-going, so far, so good. There seems not to be insecurity on campus. The host communities are safe, there is safety on campus. You don’t seem to see Police around anymore. There is peace on campus,” he assured.
He said , the University was concerned about the level of security on camapus and in the host communities and took proactive measures, adding that the Vice Chancellor led a delegation to the host communities.
His words: “We met the chiefs, community leaders, the youths and they assured us they would ensure THE security of our staff and students who live in their midst. So with such assurances and other security measures we took, we decided to reopen the University”.
The Image Maker explained that the Senate met and decided that the atmosphere within the host communities was conducive enough for students to return emphasizing that about 70 per cent of them live in the host communities especially Choba, Aluu, Alakahia as well as Rumuosi and Rumuekini.
Meanwhile, students have expressed joy that they were back to school to conclude their academic work for the session.
One of such students from the Department of Banking and Finance, Enyinnaya Daniel Ukaegbu, said the desire for examination is high adding that nobody has time to play around.
According to him, “our thinking was that we were going to re-open in January but the best thing is to write the examination and go home, as refusal may not augur well because of what happened.
A final year student, Kelechi Nwogu, told our correspondent that if the school didn’t reopen, it would have affected those who will finish this year.
“We are writing exams and by the grace of God, we are doing our best, so that we can go for national youth service. It will also help returning students to go to new classes”, she said.
An undergraduate of Department of Biochemistry, Inemesit Udoh, said apart from academic activities which were inconclusive before the unfortunate event, arrangement for the students’ week had been concluded.
As for the second semester examinations, she said, “I am prepared. The closure offered me an opportunity to read. I still have more time to prepare since my courses would come up in December.