The Bauchi State Government is to merge the College of Administrative and Business Studies Azare and the Abubakar Tatari Ali Polytechnic to transform into a full-fledged institution.
The Bauchi State Head of Service, Mr Abdon Dala-Gin,made the announcement on Tuesday in Bauchi when he inaugurated an 11-man committee, set up by the government to work out modalities for the merger.ions
Dala-Gin said the committee would be chaired by the Permanent Secretary, Establishment and Service Matters Bureau, Alhaji Hashimu Dori.
He named Chairman, Governing Council of Abubakar Tatari Ali Polytechnic, Prof. Andrew Haruna representatives of the state’s Attorney General as well as representatives of staff unions of ASUBP as members.
Speaking after the inauguration of the committee, the Chairman, Academic Staff Union of College of Administration and Business Studies, Mr Adamu Waziri, described the merger as a “welcome development. ’’
To avoid a spillover of the Kaduna and Yobe crises, the Federal Government has commenced a nationwide peace-building efforts, starting with Plateau.
Director General, National Orientation Agency (NOA), Mr Mike Omeri, made this known in Abuja on Tuesday in a statement issued by his Chief Press Secretary, Mr Paul Odenyi.
Omeri said time had come to take practical steps not just for religious and social tolerance but also for mutual acceptance among the citizenry.
He appealed to chief imams and other Muslim clerics across the country to always emphasise peace, unity and mutual acceptance in their sermons as there was no alternative to peace and unity.
The NOA director general denounced the attacks on ECWA headquarters in Plateau and other parts of the country.
According the statement, these are the handiwork of mischief makers who take advantage of issues that can be resolved through dialogue to foment trouble.
Some customers on Wednesday trooped to various banks in Zaria, Kaduna State, to withdraw money following the relaxation of the 24-hour curfew imposed by the government.
The state has been under 24-hour curfew imposed since Tuesday, June 19, due to the spate of attacks on worshiping centres.
Malam Bala Tijjani, who was on queue to use an ATM, commended the government for relaxing the curfew, saying it was a thing of joy.
“We have been at home days and nights like women. Apart from that, all our pockets are dry.
Another customer, Mr Mike Okey, said that money was a basic necessity to keep life going and for meaningful survival.
“Without money, nothing moves perfectly. However, I can testify that peace is by far greater than money,’’ he said.
The Federal Road Safety Commission (FRSC) has set up a new special patrol exercise code named “stop the killing/eagle eye’’ on Lokoja-Abuja Road and other highways in Kogi.
The state Sector Commander, Mr Mohammed Garba, made the disclosure at the commencement of the exercise in Lokoja on Tuesday.
Garba said that the initiative was to curtail the excesses of drivers plying Lokoja-Okene-Abuja Road and other highways in the state
He said that the operation would entail creating special corridors on Okene-Lokoja-Abuja Road to check over-speeding, overloading and motorists that engage in phoning while driving.
Garba said that 100 marshals, 10 patrol vehicles and one ambulance had been deployed for the exercise, which would hold simultaneously in Isanlu, Kabba, Ankpa, Magongo, Zariagi, Okene and Koton-Karfe towns.
Five professors from the University of Ilorin are now jostling for the position of vice-chancellor of the institution .
The office is due to be vacant in October when the incumbent, Professor Ishaq Oloyede, would have completed his tenure.
At the close of the application for the job of Vice-Chancellor on Monday night, five of the professors from the institution had applied.
They included Prof. Hassan Salihu of the Department of Political Science, Prof. Ganiyu Hambali, Dean of Veterinary Medicine, and Prof. Luke Ayorinde, immediate past Deputy Vice-Chancellor (Management) of the university.
Others are Prof. Albert Olayemi, the former Deputy Vice-Chancellor (Academics) and Prof. Musbau Akanji, Director of Academic Planning.
The authorities of the institution had in an advertorial on May 14, declared that the exalted office of the Vice-Chancellor, currently occupied by Oloyede would be vacant by October 6.
The Social Workers League, a human rights group, on Tuesday blamed the continued killing and destruction of properties in some parts of the country on mass poverty and high level of illiteracy.
The League, in a statement issued in Lagos and signed by its co-ordinator, Mr Baba Aye, said that economic underdevelopment had also encouraged discontent among some youths to cause havoc in the society.
“For about one week, Nigerians have been killed in Kaduna and Yobe states. There is need for the Federal Government to do all within its powers to guarantee the safety and security of Nigerians,’’ it said.
The statement said the level of destruction of lives and properties showed that the guns, vehicles and other logistics used by the Boko Haram group did not come from the contributions of their members who are poor.
It noted that the killing had forced communities to form vigilante groups to defend their lives which encompassed Christians and Moslems, amongst others.
“There is the need to forge greater unity of working people in the communities within the states now faced by this painful violence,’’ it said.
The Northern States’ Governors Forum (NSGF) on Tuesday expressed sadness over the death of ASP Ado Yahaya , a security aide to Gov. AbdulAzeez Yari of Zamfara.
Yahaya died in an auto accident on the Gummi-Sokoto road during an official assignment with the governor.
In a condolence message to Yari, signed by Gov. Babangida Aliyu of Niger and the Forum’s Chairman, the forum said they were pained by the sudden death of the well groomed cop “who died in active service’’.
“We can only pray God to grant the soul of the deceased eternal rest and his family, friends and the Nigeria Police, the fortitude to bear the irreparable loss,” the statement said.
The Ogun police command said on Tuesday in Abeokuta that it has uncovered a shrine belonging to ritualists and fraudsters in Iganke, a boundary town with Lagos States. The shrine, located deep in a forest was filled with charms and other scary objects.
The Ogun Police Commissioner, Mr Ikemefuna Okoye, who supervised the operation, told newsmen later that his men had been on the lookout for shrines and other places where evils were perpetrated.
He said the arrest of two members of the group in Abeokuta led to the discovery of the shrine, and attributed the breakthrough to the cooperation and collaboration with various communities in the area.
Okoye said, “One of them tried to dupe someone of huge amount of money, but through intelligent gathering we got to hear about it.
The commissioner further said that the two suspects would be charged to court as soon as investigation into the matter was concluded.
While thanking members of the various communities for the cooperation extended to the force, he charged anyone with useful information to supply such to the command.
“I can assure you that the identity of anyone, who volunteered information that will help us uncover men of the underworld will be highly shielded,’’ he said.
An Akure Chief Magistrates’ Court has remanded two officials of the State Security Service (SSS) in prison custody for alleged armed robbery.
The officials, Owolabi Kolawole, 25, and Okunola Kayode, 28, were arraigned before Chief Magistrate Igbekele Akinyele on a two-count charge of conspiracy and armed robbery.
They were said to have committed the offence with others at large on June 14, 2012 at about 11.30 a.m. at UBA on Owo/Ado Road, Akure. The police accused the two SSS operatives of robbing a car dealer, Peter Charles Denis of his N480,000.
The offence, the police said, was contrary to and punishable under Section 402 (1) of the Criminal Code cap 30 Vol. II laws of Ondo State, 1978. The accused pleaded not guilty.
But Magistrate Akinyele, however, told them that in legal parlance, what they did amounted to taking bribe.
Police prosecutor, ASP Pelumi Adejuwon, informed the court that he had four witnesses and urged the court to grant an adjournment to enable him to assemble them.
Counsel to the accused persons, Mr Ilesanmi Ikuemenisan, urged the court to admit the accused persons to bail on liberal terms.
A Jos State High Court on Tuesday ordered the Nigeria Police to pay N1 million as damage to a suspect, the Secretary, Kanam Traditional Council, Alhaji Mohammed Abdullahi.
The court also ordered the police to refund N700, 000 said to have been extorted from Abullahi, who was unlawfully detained and prosecuted for a crime he was not guilty of.
Justice Yargata Nimpa of High Court 4, while delivering judgment on the case of conspiracy, breach of trust and criminal offence, said that the police over-stepped its bounds by extorting N700, 000 from Abdullahi.
The court had heard that Abddullahi was arrested in Kanam Local Government and taken to the state Criminal Investigation Department where he was forced to “cough out N700, 000 said to be part of N8 million given to one Nafiu Abubakar.
The court further heard that one Mohammed Kabir, proprietor of Al-yusura Primary and secondary school, Konar Shagari, Jos, was alleged to have given Abubakar, a cousin to the Emir of Kanam, the said money to organise a launching for his school.
Barely one month into the commencement of fertiliser sale for 2012 farming season, the Zamfara Government has jacked up the price of the commodity from the initial N1,000 to N3,000 per 50kg bag.
The decision is viewed by political observers as a policy reversal after the landslide victory of the ANPP in the June 23 local government elections in the state.
Announcing the new price to newsmen in Gusau on Tuesday, the state Commissioner for Agriculture, Alhaji Malami Yandoto, said the new price would affect all categories of farmers who applied for the input through the ministry.
He said that the state government had fulfilled the promise to sell fertiliser at N1,000 per bag to smallholder farmers through their polling units.
According to him, 550,000 bags of fertiliser out of about 800,000 bags procured for distribution to farmers for the 2012 farming season, were sold at N1,000.
Enugu: Court Remands Siblings For Alleged Murder Of Makeup Artiste
An Enugu State High Court, presided by Justice I. K. Okpe yesterday remanded two siblings allegedly involved in the murder of makeup artiste, Ijeoma Nneke, in Enugu Correctional Center.
The prosecuting counsel, Mrs Ngozi Ikem-Okoye. informed the court that the prosecution also had an application that sought the leave of the court to call additional witnesses in the matter.
However, the defence counsel, Mr C. U. Okafor, in response, said that the application was unnecessary as the accused had yet to take pleas.
Okafor held that the case was not yet before the court, adding that the prosecution did not seem to be ready to prosecute the case.
Delivering judgment, Okpe adjourned the case until August 25 for ruling on the application to call additional witnesses.
Recall that the two siblings were alleged to have conspired to kill Ijeoma on November 11, 2020, at 66 Ozubulu Street, Independence Layout, Enugu.
They were also alleged to have killed the victim by forcing her to drink poisonous substances and thereafter poured acid all over her body.
Court Criticises DSS Over Failure To Produce Detained Igboho’s Aides
A Federal High Court, Abuja, yesterday criticised the Department of State Services (DSS) over failure to produce in court the 12 persons arrested at the residence of Yoruba nation’s agitator, Sunday Adeyemo, popularly known as Sunday Igboho.
Justice Obiora Egwuatu, in a ruling, also ordered the DSS to produce the applicants in court in the next adjourned date.
The Tide learnt that Justice Egwuatu had, on July 23, ordered the DSS to produce the detainees in court yesterday.
The order followed a fundamental right enforcement suit that the lawyers to the detained applicants, Pelumi Olajengbesi, filed on their behalf, pursuant to Section 32(1) and (2) of the Administration of Criminal Justice Act (ACJA) as well as Sections 6(6), 35 and 36 of 1999 Constitution, as amended.
The 12 persons, who had been in the DSS detention since July 2, are; Abdullateef Ofeyagbe, Amoda Babatunde (Aka Lady K), Tajudeen Erinoyen, Diakola Ademola, Abideen Shittu, and Jamiu Noah.
Others are Ayobami Donald, Adelabe Usman, Oluwafelumi Kunle, Raji Kazeem, Taiwo Opeyemi and Bamidele Sunday.
The Tide source reports that the DSS had, on July 1, confirmed that its operatives stormed Igboho’s home in Ibadan, arrested about 13 suspects; including a female and 12 males.
It also disclosed that two people were killed in the raid.
However, at the resumed hearing yesterday, Counsel to the DSS, I. Awo, informed the court that the applicants could not be brought because the service procured an order to hold the detainees.
Awo based the absence of the 12 detainees on the grounds that investigations into the circumstances that led to their arrest at Mr Igboho’s home were ongoing.
He hinted that of the 12 detainees on the court’s order, only three were being held by the DSS.
The lawyer listed the three detainees in the DSS custody to include: Amoda Babatunde (Aka Lady K), Diakola Ademola and Bamidele Sunday.
Reacting, Olajengbesi, urged the court to reject the service’s explanation as it was in contempt of the court’s order.
“The apparent affront on the authority of the court by the DSS cannot be justified,” the applicants’ lawyer argued.
He urged the court to discountenance the purported detention order that was procured by the DSS, arguing that it was not a Certified True Copy (CTC).
The lawyer prayed the court to admit his clients to bail.
Olajengbesi also informed the court that he had been denied access to his client, and urged the court to make an order in that regard.
Ruling, Egwuatu charged the DSS to purge itself of such a negative public perception as it did not paint a good picture of Nigeria before the international community.
He then ordered the security outfit to produce the detainees and show cause why they should not be granted bail.
“An order is hereby made directing the respondent (DSS) to allow the applicants’ counsel have access to the applicants, and the respondents are ordered to produce the applicants on the next adjourned date,” he said.
He adjourned the matter until August 2 for continuation of hearing.
Anambra Poll: Obi, Ozigbo Beg PDP Stakeholders To Unite For Victory
Former governor of Anambra State, Mr Peter Obi and one of the two factional governorship candidates of the Peoples Democratic Party, PDP, Mr Valentine Ozigbo, have begged stakeholders and members of the party to unite for easy victory during the November 6 election in the state.
Obi and Ozigbo spoke yesterday in Awka, during a reconciliation meeting of the party, which was summoned by Ozigbo to reunite members of the party, after the rancour caused by the holding of two primary elections by the party on June 26, which produced Ozigbo and Senator Ugochukwu Uba.
Obi, while speaking at the meeting called on everyone to come together and work for the victory of the party in the forthcoming governorship election, saying that the primary was over and should be done with.
“I’m ready to beg all the aspirants for us to win the election. This candidate must win this election and we will not run away in our State because of anyone. I will win my local government and that is my assurance, nothing will stop us from winning the governorship election. Anambra must not go back to what it used to be.
“PDP has the best candidate for this election and we are going to win it, we have a formidable candidate and we need a formidable team to win it. I’m committed to PDP 24 hours and the party’s governors in the country are committed to winning the Anambra State election. It is our own election and we will win it,” the former governor said.
Ozigbo, in his address, reeled out the efforts he had made in reconciling every member and aspirants but regretted that the litigations in the party had held it down, adding that the party’s legal team was not relenting in evacuating the obstacles.
“I didn’t win the primary, but PDP and Anambra won. We’re one family but we are going to unite soon. Our enemies are not within, but outside PDP. PDP is a platform that will bring Igbo together, nobody should weave in what is happening now. We’re going to occupy the government house by the grace of God.
“The major reason for the gathering is to thank you for what you did and thank you for what you will do in the coming days because the real battle is coming. We are not celebrating because the real celebration will come on November 6. There’s a need for us to go into the governorship battle as a united family.
“I’ve visited my co-aspirants and I received positive vibes from Senator Uche Ekwunife, Hon Chris Azubogu, Dr Obiora Okonkwo, Dr Godwin Maduka, Mr Godwin Ezeemo and others.
“What I want to tell you now is that every other party in this State is counterfeit from APGA to APC to YPP and that is why I’m begging all our stakeholders to have faith in me and I won’t disappoint them.
“They should forgive and forget and I’m ready to make every sacrifice for all of us to come together. We want to make the founder of PDP, late Dr Alex Ekwueme, proud whereever he is and that’s the assurance I gave the daughter, lady Chidi Onyemelukwe, when we spoke before the meeting.
- Sports4 days ago
Sports Minister Hails Anyanacho,Offiong
- Editorial4 days ago
Party Defections Taken Too Far
- Politics4 days ago
PDP’ll Participate In Anambra Guber Poll – Chieftain
- Opinion4 days ago
Growing Menace Of Campus Prostitution
- Politics4 days ago
INEC Commences Physical CVR In Rivers
- Politics4 days ago
2023: Group Insists On S’ South Presidency
- Nation4 days ago
Enugu Youths Hail Ugwuanyi’s Governance Style
- Sports4 days ago
Eguma Laments Rivers United’s Tight Fixtures