Connect with us

Nation

THE STATES

Published

on

Bauchi

Governor Isa Yuguda of Bauchi State on Tuesday expressed
sadness over a fresh outbreak of polio virus in the state.

Yuguda, who spoke at the launch of the May 2012 polio
immunisation, said that measures would be put in place to eradicate the disease
in the state.

He said that one
polio case was recently recorded after two years of sustained campaign.

“No single polio case was recorded in the last two or three
years in the state due to government’s commitment and sustained campaign.

“We have the required manpower, equipment and logistics to
eradicate polio and we should not allow diseases which we can control, to
continue killing our children,” Yuguda said.

He attributed the prevalence of the new case to cross-border
migration from neighbouring states

Yuguda urged women to sustain government efforts at
eradicating polio by sensitising their mates and sisters in rural communities
to the importance of immunisation, especially in eradicating polio.

 

Borno

The Borno Government is to distribute thermo stoves to
residents of the state to reduce dependence on firewood for cooking and
preserve the environment, an official said.

The commissioner for environment, Alhaji Hassan Mustapha
said in Maiduguri on Tuesday that the thermo stoves used ethanol as fuel, which
was environment-friendly.

“The ministry is working on plans to provide thermo stoves
using ethanol as fuel for residents of the state to reduce dependence on
firewood.

“The gesture is aimed at preserving the environment and
prevent desert encroachment,” he said. Mustapha said the ministry was also
raising some tree seedlings for planting to check desert encroachment.

“The ministry is engaged in the raising of over 20 million
assorted tree seedlings, including Acacia, Moringa Oleifera and Jatropha.

“We are also collaborating with some consultants to
establish the Jatropha value chain in the state,” he said.

Mustapha added that the ministry provided employment for
2,000 youths in the forestry sub-sector through various programmes.

 

Kaduna

The Kaduna State chapter of the Nigeria Union of Teachers
(NUT), on Tuesday said the state government would reinstate the 435 teachers
recently disengaged from service.

The teachers were disengaged for non-participation in the
teachers’ verification exercise carried out by the government and
irregularities in their appointments.

Chairman of the union, Mr. Audu Amba, said in Kaduna that
efforts were on to recall the affected teachers.

He said already the teachers had submitted their complaints
to the state government as directed by the Head of Service.

“The Head of Service has assured the union and the affected
persons that the state government will soon release names of those cleared for
reinstatement.

 

Kano

The Kano State government has provided N350 million to Rural
Water Supply and Sanitation Agency (RUWASA) to execute water supply and sanitation
projects this year.

Alhaji Garba
Durbunde, the Commissioner for Rural and Community Development, said in Kano on
Monday that the government made provision for the N350 million in its 2012
budget.

“The agency presented a number of work plans to the state

government for approval.’’

According to him, the projects include the construction and
installation of 50 new model windmill water solution schemes.

Others are payment of counterpart funding for the
rehabilitation of hand pump-operated boreholes as well as construction of
numerous hand pump, motorised and solar-powered boreholes in the state.

 

Kano

Kano State Scholarship Board says it will computerise its
operations for efficient service delivery.

The Executive Secretary of the Board, Alhaji Usman Ririwai,
said in Kano recently that all necessary arrangements had been completed for
the take-off of the exercise.

Ririwai said that the measure was necessary to avoid cases
of lost of documents and misplacement of vital information being experienced in
the board and other organisations.

“The Board intends to establish a central data base and a
research unit to enable us have information on our finger tips at all times,”
he said.

On the non-payment of scholarship allowances to some
students in the state, Ririwai said that the present board had inherited “a
sieable amount of debt of unpaid students’ allowances”.

 

Katsina

The wife of Katsina State Governor, Hajiya Fatima Shema, has
distributed 68 special-breed goats to 34 women to encourage them in animal
husbandry.

She said, “The
distribution of the goats was aimed at introducing animal husbandry among women
in the state with a view to improving their socio-economic well being.”

Shema, represented by Hajiya Indo Bilya Sanda, who
distributed the goats in Katsina on Tuesday, explained that the goats were
given free of charge to the women selected from the three senatorial districts
of the state.

The programme, she said, was a collaborative effort of her
NGO, Service to Humanity Foundation and the state’s Ministry of Agriculture.

Shema urged the beneficiaries to rear the goats so that they
could multiply rapidly.

 

Kebbi

The Kebbi Government has said that it will support the Power
Holding Company Nigeria (PHCN) improve power supply for social and economic
activities in the state.

The Kebbi Commissioner for Water Resources and Rural
Development, Alhaji Abdullahi Bunza, made the pledge  recently
in Birnin Kebbi during his visit to the Business Department of the
company.

He said that the continued load shedding of electricity in
the state had retarded social and economic activities. According to him,
investors are not keen to invest in the state because of the problem while
costs of social services have gone up due to irregular power supply.

Responding, the PHCN Business Manager, Alhaji Umar Aliyu,
explained that load shedding was sequel to the population increase and
inability of the two available 7.5 MVA transformers to satisfy demands.

He called on the state government to provide an additional
transformer within the metropolis to improve power supply.

 

Nasaraw

The Nasarawa State Government will start the distribution of
affordable drugs to 18 general hospitals across the state, the Commissioner for
Health, Dr Emmanuel Akabe, has said.

Akabe said in an
interview, Tuesday in Lafia that the drugs would be distributed under the
government’s drug revolving scheme to be inaugurated soon by Gov. Umaru
Almakura.

He said the scheme was aimed at providing quality health
care to the people of the state, adding that the healthcare system needed
urgent intervention.

“The facilities are dilapidated, equipment and manpower are
not there; you can imagine in some of the general hospitals I visited, there
were no doctors. In some cases, you have only two or three nurses; most
hospitals cannot run routine test so you can see the situation we have,’’ he
said.

Akabe explained that the scheme would ensure the
availability of drugs to patients directly from the manufacturers or their
representatives.

 

Ondo

The Ondo State Commissioner for Agriculture, Mr. Ademola
Olorunfemi, recently  said that the
government bought additional 72 tractors in the last three years to boost food
production.

Olorunfemi, who said that the number of tractors in the
state had increased to 129.

He appealed to farmers to avail themselves of the use of the
tractors to enable them embrace mechanised farming to boost food production in
the state.

He said that the provision of additional tractors would
increase the number of Tractor Hiring Units in some parts of the state to give
farmers’ access to the use of the machines

“With this development, every farmer in the state can now
rent the tractors regardless of his location because the units are spread all
over the state,’’ he said.

 

Ondo

In pursuit of its rural development programme, the Ondo
State Government has embarked on the execution of 345 rural development
projects at a cost of about N3 billion.

The state
Commissioner for Community Development and Co-operatives, Mr Clement Faboyede,
said in Akure on Tuesday that 260 of the projects had been completed and
delivered to the communities.

Faboyede, who said other projects were at various stages of
completion, pointed out that the projects tagged “Quick Win” were executed to
the tastes of the communities.

He said that the government did not just execute them, but
with the consent of each community and what they required after due negotiation
and consultations with the people.

The commissioner said that the ministry had just completed
another round of a need assessment survey for quick win projects in another 40
communities in preparation for award of the contracts.

Continue Reading

Nation

Enugu: Court Remands Siblings For Alleged Murder Of Makeup Artiste

Published

on

An Enugu State High Court, presided by Justice I. K. Okpe yesterday remanded two siblings allegedly involved in the murder of makeup artiste, Ijeoma Nneke, in Enugu Correctional Center.
The prosecuting counsel, Mrs Ngozi Ikem-Okoye. informed the court that the prosecution also had an application that sought the leave of the court to call additional witnesses in the matter.
However, the defence counsel, Mr C. U. Okafor, in response, said that the application was unnecessary as the accused had yet to take pleas.
Okafor held that the case was not yet before the court, adding that the prosecution did not seem to be ready to prosecute the case.
Delivering judgment, Okpe adjourned the case until August 25 for ruling on the application to call additional witnesses.
Recall that the two siblings were alleged to have conspired to kill Ijeoma on November 11, 2020, at 66 Ozubulu Street, Independence Layout, Enugu.
They were also alleged to have killed the victim by forcing her to drink poisonous substances and thereafter poured acid all over her body.

Continue Reading

Nation

Court Criticises DSS Over Failure To Produce Detained Igboho’s Aides

Published

on

A Federal High Court, Abuja, yesterday criticised the Department of State Services (DSS) over failure to produce in court the 12 persons arrested at the residence of Yoruba nation’s agitator, Sunday Adeyemo, popularly known as Sunday Igboho.
Justice Obiora Egwuatu, in a ruling, also ordered the DSS to produce the applicants in court in the next adjourned date.
The Tide learnt that Justice Egwuatu had, on July 23, ordered the DSS to produce the detainees in court yesterday.
The order followed a fundamental right enforcement suit that the lawyers to the detained applicants, Pelumi Olajengbesi, filed on their behalf, pursuant to Section 32(1) and (2) of the Administration of Criminal Justice Act (ACJA) as well as Sections 6(6), 35 and 36 of 1999 Constitution, as amended.
The 12 persons, who had been in the DSS detention since July 2, are; Abdullateef Ofeyagbe, Amoda Babatunde (Aka Lady K), Tajudeen Erinoyen, Diakola Ademola, Abideen Shittu, and Jamiu Noah.
Others are Ayobami Donald, Adelabe Usman, Oluwafelumi Kunle, Raji Kazeem, Taiwo Opeyemi and Bamidele Sunday.
The Tide source reports that the DSS had, on July 1, confirmed that its operatives stormed Igboho’s home in Ibadan, arrested about 13 suspects; including a female and 12 males.
It also disclosed that two people were killed in the raid.
However, at the resumed hearing yesterday, Counsel to the DSS, I. Awo, informed the court that the applicants could not be brought because the service procured an order to hold the detainees.
Awo based the absence of the 12 detainees on the grounds that investigations into the circumstances that led to their arrest at Mr Igboho’s home were ongoing.
He hinted that of the 12 detainees on the court’s order, only three were being held by the DSS.
The lawyer listed the three detainees in the DSS custody to include: Amoda Babatunde (Aka Lady K), Diakola Ademola and Bamidele Sunday.
Reacting, Olajengbesi, urged the court to reject the service’s explanation as it was in contempt of the court’s order.
“The apparent affront on the authority of the court by the DSS cannot be justified,” the applicants’ lawyer argued.
He urged the court to discountenance the purported detention order that was procured by the DSS, arguing that it was not a Certified True Copy (CTC).
The lawyer prayed the court to admit his clients to bail.
Olajengbesi also informed the court that he had been denied access to his client, and urged the court to make an order in that regard.
Ruling, Egwuatu charged the DSS to purge itself of such a negative public perception as it did not paint a good picture of Nigeria before the international community.
He then ordered the security outfit to produce the detainees and show cause why they should not be granted bail.
“An order is hereby made directing the respondent (DSS) to allow the applicants’ counsel have access to the applicants, and the respondents are ordered to produce the applicants on the next adjourned date,” he said.
He adjourned the matter until August 2 for continuation of hearing.

Continue Reading

Nation

Anambra Poll: Obi, Ozigbo Beg PDP Stakeholders To Unite For Victory

Published

on

Former governor of Anambra State, Mr Peter Obi and one of the two factional governorship candidates of the Peoples Democratic Party, PDP, Mr Valentine Ozigbo, have begged stakeholders and members of the party to unite for easy victory during the November 6 election in the state.
Obi and Ozigbo spoke yesterday in Awka, during a reconciliation meeting of the party, which was summoned by Ozigbo to reunite members of the party, after the rancour caused by the holding of two primary elections by the party on June 26, which produced Ozigbo and Senator Ugochukwu Uba.
Obi, while speaking at the meeting called on everyone to come together and work for the victory of the party in the forthcoming governorship election, saying that the primary was over and should be done with.
“I’m ready to beg all the aspirants for us to win the election. This candidate must win this election and we will not run away in our State because of anyone. I will win my local government and that is my assurance, nothing will stop us from winning the governorship election. Anambra must not go back to what it used to be.
“PDP has the best candidate for this election and we are going to win it, we have a formidable candidate and we need a formidable team to win it. I’m committed to PDP 24 hours and the party’s governors in the country are committed to winning the Anambra State election. It is our own election and we will win it,” the former governor said.
Ozigbo, in his address, reeled out the efforts he had made in reconciling every member and aspirants but regretted that the litigations in the party had held it down, adding that the party’s legal team was not relenting in evacuating the obstacles.
“I didn’t win the primary, but PDP and Anambra won. We’re one family but we are going to unite soon. Our enemies are not within, but outside PDP. PDP is a platform that will bring Igbo together, nobody should weave in what is happening now. We’re going to occupy the government house by the grace of God.
“The major reason for the gathering is to thank you for what you did and thank you for what you will do in the coming days because the real battle is coming. We are not celebrating because the real celebration will come on November 6. There’s a need for us to go into the governorship battle as a united family.
“I’ve visited my co-aspirants and I received positive vibes from Senator Uche Ekwunife, Hon Chris Azubogu, Dr Obiora Okonkwo, Dr Godwin Maduka, Mr Godwin Ezeemo and others.
“What I want to tell you now is that every other party in this State is counterfeit from APGA to APC to YPP and that is why I’m begging all our stakeholders to have faith in me and I won’t disappoint them.
“They should forgive and forget and I’m ready to make every sacrifice for all of us to come together. We want to make the founder of PDP, late Dr Alex Ekwueme, proud whereever he is and that’s the assurance I gave the daughter, lady Chidi Onyemelukwe, when we spoke before the meeting.

Continue Reading

Trending