Connect with us

Front Pix

Man Kills, Buries Own Mistress …As Kidnappers Murder Two Kids In Bayelsa

Published

on

The Rivers State Police Command, says it has arrested a middle-aged man, Jim Zarcus from Andoni Local Government Area of the state, who allegedly killed his girl friend, Late Miss Peace Martins and buried her in his room at Elechi Beach waterfront, Port Harcourt City Local Government Area.

The state Commissioner of Police, Mohammed A. Indabawa disclosed this during a press briefing held at the Officers Mess in Port Harcourt, Wednesday.

According to the state police boss, the suspect, Jim Zarcus had  a little quarriel with his girl friend and he killed her and buried her in his room.

He stated that the incident occurred on April 1,2012, adding that the suspect was arrested on Wednesday, April 10 following a tip-off from members of the public.

The state police boss further stated that the suspect, Jim Zarcus confessed to the crime during interrogation, adding that investigations on the matter were on-going.

“We got the information that the suspect killed and buried his girl friend at Elechi  Beach, we have arrested him, he also confessed. The body of the late girl friend, Peace Martins has also been exhumed,” he stated, adding that the family of the deceased was yet to be contacted by the police.

Meanwhile, the state Commissioner of Police, Mohamed A Indabawa, says the police has arrested four out of the seven suspects that allegedly raped a fourteen year old girl in Port Harcourt.

He stated that the girl had been treated at Braithwaite Memorial Specialist Hospital (BMSH), Port Harcourt, assuring that the fleeing suspects would be arrested soon.

The commissioner also said that the command had between March and April arrested 61 armed robbery suspects and foiled several armed robbery attempts in the state.

He said that 15 of the robbers were fatally wounded in the course of the arrest.

Indabawa disclosed that 25 kidnap suspects were arrested during the period with two of them fatally wounded.

The commissioner said the kidnappers included those who abducted a 68-year-old woman from Egbeada and collected N500, 000 ransom.

He also said 20 suspected cultists were arrested in the state while 15 stolen vehicles and motorcycles were recovered in the state.

The commissioner disclosed the police had smashed a forgery syndicate which specialised in forging police vehicle purchase clearance certificates, tinted glass permits and other public documents.

He said a female staff of the state Board of Internal Revenue had been arrested for the forgery and over 20 different fake documents recovered from her, adding that she had been charged to court.

“I will relentlessly pursue with vigour the reduction of crimes and criminality in the state,” he said.

According to him, the command would create an atmosphere of peace that would enable members of the public to go about their normal businesses.

Meanwhile, three suspects who killed two children in the bid to abduct the mother of a member of the Bayelsa State House of Assembly, Hon. Abraham Igonbere, have been arrested by the police.

The killing of the children took place in Sagana in Brass Local Government Area of Bayelsa State on February 17, 2012.

But the Commissioner, Bayelsa State Police Command, Chris Olakpe, said the three men who carried out the killing had been arrested.

Olakpe, who spoke with newsmen in Yenagoa, the Bayelsa State capital, on Wednesday, said the men were arrested during raids on different black spots in the state.

He said, “the three-member gang went into Sagana, kidnapped the mother of a lawmaker and in the wake of the kidnap, two little children, who were crying, were shot dead by the gang.

“The suspects have confessed their involvement in criminal kidnapping and murder of two innocent children.”

Rivers State Commissioner for Budget and Economic Planning, Hon Gogo Charles Levi, representing Secretary to the State Government, with Chairman, Rivers State Pension Board, Mrs Edna Alikor, during a one-day sensitisation/ enlightenment on the Contributory Pension Scheme organised by the pension board in Port Harcourt, yesterday.

Print Friendly, PDF & Email
Continue Reading

Featured

Insecurity In Nigeria, Alarming, Wike Alerts …Suspends JAAC Accounts From Defaulting Banks

Published

on

Rivers State Governor, Chief Nyesom Wike, says insecurity in Nigeria has reached an alarming proportion.
He has therefore called on security agencies to redouble their efforts in curbing it.
Governor Wike expressed the concern yesterday when the new General Officer Commanding 6 Division of the Nigerian Army, Major General Olu Irefin paid him a courtesy visit at Government House, Port Harcourt.
He noted that the prevalence of insecurity in every State of the Federation seems to overwhelm the military.
Governor Wike stated that the situation is different in Rivers State because of the robust collaboration between his administration and the security agencies.
“Our determination is to keep the State safe but development also attracts criminality, so we can’t say we are totally free.
“There are still pockets of criminal elements. So, as a professional whose role is to defend the territorial integrity of the country, fight crime and do not involve in politics.
“We are willing to collaborate with you as a government because security is important for us. Just let us know what you require to succeed in the fight against criminality.
“That way, we will be partners in progress and make the State safe for all residents,” he stated.
Earlier, the General Officer Commanding 6 Division of the Nigerian Army, Major General OluIrefin commended Governor Wike for his developmental strides.
He said on assumption of duties, his commanders told him that they have enjoyed tremendous support from the state government in the discharge of duties.
He pledged to sustain the existing collaboration in protecting lives and property in the State
Meanwhile, the Rivers State Governor, Chief Nyesom Wike has directed the removal of Joint Account Allocation Committee (JAAC) from banks that gave unauthorised loans to some Local Government Chairmen in the State.
Governor Wike gave the directive on Wednesday, while swearing in the substantive Chairman of the Asari-Toru Local Government Area at Government House, Port Harcourt .
He directed the State Attorney-General and Commissioner for Justice to take legal action against the defaulting Banks.
Governor Wike said both the Banks and the Councils that defaulted would suffer the consequences of the illegality.
He noted that the Banks cannot seek refund of the loans because they contravened extant Laws of the State.
“We have taken a decision that for all those loans taken without approval, the affected accounts must leave the defaulting banks.
“I have told the Attorney-General and Commissioner for Justice to take necessary steps. The Banks cannot go and seek for refund from the Local Governments. When you default the Law, you suffer for it.
“Council Chairmen who want to take loans from banks must get official approval. You cannot take loans that will mortgage the future of the people”, he stated.
Governor Wike charged Mrs. AlasoJohnbull Obi to use her new position to make a difference because the people are yet to feel the impact of the Council.
“Go and put your local government together. Do not allow busy body politicians to distract you. Use this opportunity you have to make a difference.
“We never thought that Chief Odiari Princewill will die but as God will have it, he is dead and we have to abide by the constitution.
“That is why you, as the deputy, has to step in as the substantive chairman of Asari-Toru local Government Area today.
“In choosing your Deputy, you must consult widely with all the stakeholders of the Party. As election is coming up next year, you have an opportunity to sell yourself,” he added.
Until her swearing in, Mrs. AlasoJohnbul-Obi was the Vice Chairman of the Council but the death of the elected chairman, Chief Odiari Princewill on the 27th May, 2020 created a vacuum that needed to be filled.

Print Friendly, PDF & Email
Continue Reading

Featured

SSANU, NASU Threaten Strike Over Unresolved Issues

Published

on

The Non-Academic Staff Union of Educational and Associated Institutions (NASU) and Senior Staff Association of Nigerian Universities (SSANU) said they would proceed on strike over unresolved issues with the Federal Government immediately the universities reopen.
Mr Samson Ugwoke, the Chairman, Joint Action Committee (JAC) of both unions said this while addressing newsmen on the resolutions reached by the unions yesterday in Abuja.
The resolutions were signed by the SSANU National President, Mr Samson Ugwoke, and the General Secretary of NASU, Mr Peters Adeyemi.
The unions’ grievances included the lingering Integrated Payroll and Personnel Information System (IPPIS) debacle, nonpayment of arrears of earned allowance and minimum wage. Others are the alleged lack of seriousness by the Babalakin Committee renegotiating the 2009 FG/NASU, SSANU agreements, neglect and poor funding of state universities, absence of visitation panels, among others.
According to Ugwoke, long after many other sectors had been paid the arrears of the national minimum wage and consequential adjustment, university workers are yet to be paid. “We find this development totally unwholesome and very unhealthy.
“Given the time lag of over a year since it was implemented in other sectors, members of the public would agree that we have been patient enough in the university system,” he said.
He pointed out that in spite of the series of letters by the unions to the Integrated Payroll and Personnel Information System (IPPIS) Office since February, their members were still confronted with many challenges, including salary payment. Ugwuoke also said that their members, whose monthly salaries were being paid in the second week of the following month in the past seven months, were suffering as a result of the difficulties posed by IPPIS.
He argued that as responsible unions, they had avoided the planned action, adding that the unhealthy situation had made it inevitable.
Ugwoke said: “We have again cried out to the general public with a view to inviting stakeholders and well-meaning Nigerians to prevail on the government to correct the anomaly of IPPIS. “Pay us the arrears of both earned allowances and minimum wage, among others.”
He warned that the unions would have no option than to embark on strike effective from when universities would reopen after the COVID-19 lockdown.

Print Friendly, PDF & Email
Continue Reading

Featured

FG’S Reviewed Broadcast Code, Draconian – PDP …Says New Code Aimed At Muzzling Media, Concealing Corruption, Abacha Loot

Published

on

The Peoples Democratic Party, PDP, has rejected the reviewed broadcast code, describing it as another draconian measure to muzzle the media and suppress free speech in Nigeria.
The party said the All Progressives Congress, APC and its government adopted the reviewed code with its N5 million fine “to intimidate the media and gag whistle blowers from further exposing the humongous corruption, abuse of office, violation of human rights as well as officials’ betrayal of trust and abuse of office in the Buhari administration.”
In a statement issued by its spokesman, Kola Ologbondiyan, the PDP said the reviewed code is a grand plot “to suppress and muzzle Nigerians and the media from publicly opposing plots by the APC to mortgage the sovereignty of our dear nation to foreign interests as being witnessed in the anti-Nigeria clauses in the loan agreements with China.”
The statement read: “The APC has been jittery over the stench of monumental corruption oozing out from its government as well as its anti-Nigeria activities, and now seeks to suppress public opinion and media reportage of their atrocities against our nation.
“The PDP invites Nigerians to note that the APC administration rushed to review the broadcast codes and introduced draconian clauses at the height of public revelations and media reportage of its corruption and plots to mortgage our nation’s sovereignty to China. The reviewed broadcast code therefore validates the stance by Nigerians that covering of corruption and the scheme to mortgage the sovereignty of our nation are official policies of the APC which has not denied that it is the headquarters of corruption.
“Our party however, wishes to inform the APC and its administration that the provisions of the 1999 Constitution and other laws guiding media practice, which guarantees a free press and freedom of opinion by Nigerians are clear and that no matter how much the truth is suppressed, it must always come to light.
“Moreover, the APC must know that we are in a democracy and that Nigerians cannot be suppressed from exercising their rights of speaking out in the face of injustice, corruption, abuse of trust in the APC administration, which President Buhari had also admitted.

Print Friendly, PDF & Email
Continue Reading

Trending