Apparently on the heels of the assassination of the All Nigerian Peoples Party (ANPP) governorship candidate in Borno State, 19 northern governors Tuesday decried the increasing security threats in some parts of northern states, cautioning against the use of inflammatory campaign languages by some politicians.
The governors at a meeting presided by the governor of Niger State, Dr Babangida Aliyu also agreed to offer assistance to Plateau, Borno and Bauchi States following the increasing security challenges be failing the states.
In a communiqué at the end of the meeting, the governors after much deliberations on measures that would bring the crisis to an end identified security, poverty and youth restiveness as the major causes of the conflict in the region.
Accordingly, the governors resolved to promptly identify and address the causes of the conflicts which they said had been economically, religiously and politically motivated.
While agreeing to support the three affected states using various strategies that are beyond physical means as well as addressing the perceptions and misinformation perpetrated over time, the governors also maintained that they would take other measures in handling constitutional provisions to tackle security challenges.
Ekiti State Deputy Governor, Mrs Funmilayo Olayinka, has expressed sadness over the destruction of 62 houses in the Ekiti in Ikole Local Government Area of the state by rainstorm which ravaged the community recently.
Olayinka who was on an inspection visit to the community yesterday, however, promised that the Dr Kolayode Fayoemi led administration through the State Emergency Management Agency (SEMA) would provide relief materials to the victims of the rainstorm to make the affected houses habitable again.
She revealed that the state government would make an official report to the National Emergency Management Agency (NEMA) and table a request for assistance for the victims.
Olayinka who stressed the need for people to plant more trees around houses to serve as wind breaks and prevent rainstorm from blowing off their roof tops also advised house builders and owners to ensure that roof tops are designed in such a way that can not be easily penetrated by storm.
The deputy governor, however, sympathised with the victims of the natural disaster and joined them to thank God that no casualty of any sort was recorded despite the enormity of the disaster.
Minister of Women Affairs and Social Development, Mrs Josephine Anenih, has disclosed that the Nigerian Defence Academy (NDA) which has been a male university from inception would soon begin to admit female cadets to prepare them as officers of the Nigerian Army.
Anenih disclosed this yesterday in Abuja at the ‘Nigerian Women at 50 Reflections’ aimed at recognising the contributions of women to national development before and after independence.
She said this was made possible by the first female Rear Admiral in the Nigerian Navy, Itunu Hotonu, who was recently promoted after her feat as the Managing Director of the Nigerian Navy Post-Service Scheme.
Anenih also lauded female presidential aspirant, Mrs Sarah Jubril, who she said has given women the hope and confidence to aspire to reach the highest position in the country.
The Women Affairs Minister urged Nigerian women to vote for President Goodluck Jonathan during the April polls expressing hopes that he would grant women the glamoured 35% affirmative action.
The mother of the Senatorial candidate of the Congress for Progressive Change (CPC) for Kebbi State, Hajiya Fatima Sadiq Yelwa, who was kidnapped at her residence in Yauri town about 10 days ago has been released.
Hajiya Yelwa, mother of Alhaji Abubakar Sadiq Yelwa, former Chief of Staff to the Federal Capital Territory (FCT) Minister was found during a search by the police detectives at a bush in the outskirts of Kontangora in Niger State.
State Police Commissioner, Alhaji Dalhatu Saa-d told journalists Tuesday, that Hajiya Yelwa was found in a bush by policemen and was returned to her family in Yauri.
The CPC senatorial candidate explained that though the kidnappers demanded for some money for the release of his mother, the family did not pay any ransom rather embarked on prayers after reporting the incident to the police.
Yelwa said “it is true that my mother has been returned this morning. We thank Almighty Allah for her safe release”.
The politician also thanked the security agents from both Kebbi and Niger States for ensuring the release of his mother by the hoodlums with her sustaining no injury.
Lagos State Government has called for dialogue with the Dental and Medical Personnel, under the aegis of the Medical Guild, to resolve the ongoing doctor’s strike.
The state Commissioner for Health, Dr Jide Idris who addressed reporters Wednesday, on the unions meeting with leaders described the strike action as unnecessary, stating that government was will and ready to address the issues raised by the doctors.
According to him ‘I had a meeting with the union yesterday and we have reviewed some of those areas and so far, the strike action is uncalled for’.
Idris said that under the new agreement, a highest-level consultant would earn about N700,000 monthly and a level 10 officer N173,927.33 pointing out that the government was considering other areas to improve doctors welfare.
The commission therefore urged the doctors to reconsider their demands for the 100 per cent implementation of the Consolidated Medical Salary Structure (CONMESS) for the hitch-free medical activities in the state.
“We are appealing again that they should call off the strike to reduce the suffering of the masses. A lot of people have expressed their displeasure over this strike and they have offered their hand of fellowship to us to ameliorate the suffering of the people”, the commissioner explained.
Following the stoning of the convoy of President Goodluck Jonathan, the Police Service Commission had approved the request of the Inspector-General of Police (IGP), Mr Hafiz Ringim, to transfer the Commissioner of Police in Nasarawa State, Wilfred Obute.
It was gathered that the pelting of the convoy was contrary to the security report hitherto sent by the Commissioner of Police to the Force Headquarters in Abuja.
A top police source said that the Commissioner of Police (CP) had the itinerary of the president ahead of his arrival adding that he should have ensured a comprehensive protection of the Commander-In-Chief in any part of Nasarawa State including the Emir’s place.
While noting that the review of the president’s campaign visit to Nasarawa State showed some security laxity, the source revealed that the IGP’s request was tabled at the Police Service Commission and given approval stating however that the name of the new CP in Nasarawa State was yet to be forwarded.
The Nigerian National Petroleum Corporation (NNPC) has rejected 50 million additional litres of kerosene into the market through its subsidiary, the Pipelines and Products Marketing Company Limited (PPMC).
Ibadan, the Oyo State capital, Ore and Ilorin and its environs are to enjoy 17.4 million litres as being pumped to Mosimi depot from Atlas Cove for onward supply to the areas.
The Group General Manager, Public Affairs Division, Dr Levi Ajuonuma, said measure was embarked upon to arrest the reported cases of the kerosene explosion and scarcity being experienced in some parts of the country.
Ajuonuma restated that aside the 17.4 million litres for Oyo and the other states, 18 million litres was loaded out of NIPCO for the Independent Marketers and 12.2 million litres out of capital oil for NNPC retail stations.
He said “I want to assure consumers of kerosene across the country that NNPC has injected more than enough of the product into the market and so, they should desist from panic buying”.
Muslims in Plateau State have observed a one-day fasting and prayer to bring an end to the crisis rocking the state.
Complying with the directive Tuesday, as given by Plateau State Council of Ulamas, many restaurants especially within the Jos metropolis did not open for business until late in the evening and families made purchases the previous evening for their livelihood.
Secretary of the council, Barrister Lawal Ishag told newsmen the people of the state were observing the fast to sought for Allah’s intervention so that lasting peace will return to the state.
According to him “this fast has become necessary looking at the degenerated form of the state and its environs as this crisis is going on. It has gotten to the time when we have to seek for the intervention of Allah and I believe that the purpose will be achieved”.
Prayers were also observed at various mosques across the state including the Jos Central and Zuwiya Mosques where hundreds of Muslims gathered to participate in various sessions.
Sokoto State High Court presided by Justice Bello Abbas has again adjourned the case filed by the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC) against former Sokoto Governor, Attahirn Bafarawa, till February 28 to enable his counsel, Mr Lateef Fagbemi (SAN), respond to the application for severance.
This is coming as the Sokoto State High Court II presided by Justice Mohammed Binju adjourned till March 7, 2011 to enable the state government and Bafarawa settle their despite over pension of court.
Bafarawa had two months ago dragged Sokoto State governor, Aliyu Warmako, to the State High Court over non-payment of his pension totaling about N27 million.
Bafarawa and 15 others were arraigned by the EFCC over an alleged financial misappropriation and corrupt practices totaling N15 billion during his tenure as the governor of the state.
While the case came up yesterday for hearing, Fagbemi applied for adjournment through his representative, Barrister Suleiman Usman, saying he had another case before the Supreme Court in Abuja.
However, EFCC counsel, Adeniji Akintola (SAN) told the court that the case had suffered several adjournments at the instance of a single defendant since December, 21, 2009 when the case was filed.
Over 20 people were feared dead on Monday when a Yobe Line bus and a Cross Country vehicle collided at Dagare on the Potiskum-Kari road in Yobe State.
The crash allegedly occurred when the drivers of the two vehicles on opposite direction rammed into each other at about 4.40 pm that day.
The impact from the collision led to the occupants of the Yobe Line bus burning beyond recognition.
An eye witness of the accident told journalists that the two vehicles at collision burst into flames leading to the loss of 20 passengers in the bus in his words” we heard a thunderous noise from the road and the villagers rushed to the scene with buckets of water to put off the fire from the vehicles. But the volunteers could not make any difference until the arrival of the firefighters from Potiskum, who rescued 10 passengers from the scene.
Sambo said the bus was burnt to ashes while the Cross Country vehicles was partly burnt to the drivers cabin.
Confirming the accident, the Unit Commander of the Federal Road Safety Commission (FRSC) at Potiskum Al Maigori said the mishap could have been avoided if the drivers had been cautious and shunned dangerous overtaking on the road.
He however, attributed the accident to the poor state of the roads in the south-east zone adding that cautious driving and compliance with traffic rules would help to avert the carnage on the highways.
Of 1,561 Candidates, 880 Graduate From Law School-DG
The Nigerian Law School says out of the 1, 561 candidates who sat for the December examination, 880 passed.
The Director-General of the School, Prof. Isa Ciroma, SAN, made this known yesterday in Abuja, while presenting the new wigs to the Body of Benchers at the 2020 Call to the Bar ceremony.
“Four others were from previous Bar examination,’’ he said, adding that the new wigs had met all the required and set conditions by the Council of Legal Education.
“I am happy to affirm that they all have exhibited good manners and decorum during their training.
“They have also been groomed in the best ethics and ethos of our noble profession.
“The screening committee of our distinguished body carefully perused the records of each of the aspirants and found them worthy to be presented for the Call to the Nigerian Bar.’’
Ciroma said that the school had begun a special remedial course for students from the National Open University of Nigeria (NOUN).
“The programme began on June 28, at the Nigerian Law School Headquarters, Bwari, Abuja. We thank all distinguished members of the Body of Benchers, for their support,’’ he said.
The Chairman, Body of Benchers, Justice Olabode Rhodes-Vivour, congratulated the new wigs and charged them to adhere to the provision of rules regarding the profession at all times.
“As a lawyer, you are an officer of the court and accordingly, you are not to do any act or conduct yourselves in a manner that will obstruct or adversely affect the course of justice.
“The practice of Law is not a right but a privilege. It is a privilege that can be lost should you fail to live up to the requisite professional standards imposed upon you by virtue of your entry into the community of lawyers.
“You must, therefore, strictly adhere to the provisions of the Rules of the Professional Conduct and maintain best practices at all times.’’
He stressed that the Body of Benchers Legal Practitioners Disciplinary Committee was always determined to discipline any lawyer found wanting or breaching set rules of the profession.
Rhodes-Vivour said that the committee had been carrying out its mandate “in a just and fair manner’’ without giving any room for compromise or ill-will.
He said that between January and July, the committee disbarred six lawyers and suspended some for between two and four years, while one lawyer was admonished during the period.
Rhodes-Vivour advised the graduates to continue to update their knowledge on both statute and case law in order to attain more understanding on especially, international jurisdictions.
In 2020, the Council of Legal Education said that out of a total of 2,515 students who participated in the examinations, 1,864 passed the Bar Final Examinations conducted in January.
The director-general who described the performance as outstanding, said that among the 1, 864 students who were successful, only five made First Class while 632 others failed the examinations.
“Candidates graded in First Class are five, Second Class Upper 77, Second Class Lower are 633, those who got pass marks are 1,067 and those with Conditional Pass are 82.
“632 candidates failed the examination, 17 were absent and 2 results are withheld.”
Chiroma further explained that only 0.2 per cent made First Class, 3.06 per cent made Second Class Upper, 25.17 per cent made Second Class Lower and 42.42 per cent passed.
He said other performances include a 3.26 per cent for those with conditional pass, 25.12 per cent failed the examinations, 0.7 per cent were absent and 0.8 per cent results are being withheld.
NGO Trains 300 Returning Migrants On Business Development
Web of Heart Foundation, a Non-Governmental Organisation, says it has trained and empowered more than 300 returning migrants, youths and internally displaced persons on job creation.
Its Executive Director, Mrs Bose Aggrey, made the declaration yesterday in Lagos at the graduation of its “Create and Start Module’’ trainees.
The graduating trainees were awarded certificates and given grants facilitated by some investors and soft loans from banks after six months of training to identify and analyse business ideas and opportunities.
“We taught them how to articulate their business ideas into plans; introduced them to investors and equally assisted them to get bank loans.
“It is an opportunity for the participants to put themselves together either to get employed or to become employers,’’ she said.
“We introduced investors to the participants when they were pitching and some of them are already getting grants.
“We are working with two banks so they can provide soft loans at low interest rates for the participants,’’ she added.
In his remarks, Mr Peik Bruhns, Team Leader of the firm of consultants that conducted the training, said the company had reached out to train 5,000 Nigerians on Micro, Small and Medium scale Enterprises in six months
He said this was done in collaboration with nine organisations, including Web of Heart Foundation.
“I will like to stress the importance of working with returnee migrants because Web of Heart Foundation focuses on assisting them to reintegrate into society.
Zamfara Police Refute Kidnap Of 60 Passengers Rumour
The Zamfara State Police Command has refuted a story that 60 passengers travelling along Sokoto – Gusau road on Sunday, July 25, were kidnapped by bandits.
The state Police Public Relations Officer, Mohammed Shehu, in a statement, yesterday, said the story was inaccurate and a calculated attempt by some mischief makers to create fear and apprehension into the minds of the general public, especially the commuters.
“The attention of Zamfara State Police Command has been drawn to a story trending on social and conventional media that armed bandits blocked Sokoto – Gusau Road, and abducted 60 people travelling from Sokoto to Abuja.”
The statement said, “For the avoidance of doubt and purpose of clarity, the command was informed that a large number of armed bandits blocked a Toyota bus vehicle, belonging to the Sokoto State Mass Transit and abducted 11 passengers who were travelling from Sokoto – Abuja along Sokoto – the accurate report of the incident. On Sunday, July 25, 2021, Gusau Road in Bakura LGA.”
According to the statement, the Police Tactical operatives attached to Operation Restore Peace were alerted, and they quickly mobilized to the location and dislodged the hoodlums who blocked many vehicles for abduction, adding that the road was instantly cleared for motorists and other road users and reinforced more police operatives to improve the security and safety of the commuters.
The statement noted that in the course of mopping up the scene, a Toyota bus vehicle belonging to Sokoto State Mass Transit was sighted empty and it was revealed that 11 passengers, including the driver were abducted and taken to the bush before the arrival of the police.
It said the operatives further embarked on search and rescue operation in the surrounding bush with a view to rescuing the kidnapped victims, stressing that two persons who were left far behind with other hoodlums were abandoned by their captors for fear of being neutralised by the Police operatives, the remaining nine victims were taken to the forest.
- Politics4 days ago
RSG To Seal Dirty Business Places, Illegal Motor Parks
- Politics4 days ago
Andoni Chairman Tasks Councillors On Capacity Dev
- Sports4 days ago
Coach Expresses Joy Over Players’ Performance
- Nation4 days ago
‘Media, Military Relations Can Be Enhanced In Conflict Reporting’
- News3 days ago
Cyber Crime: FBI Declares Six Nigerians Most Wanted
- Politics4 days ago
INEC Registers 9,261 Online In C’River
- Politics4 days ago
Soludo: ‘INEC Must Redeem Self’
- Niger Delta4 days ago
Monarch Charges FG, Others On Abandoned Road Projects