Connect with us

Sports

NFF To Name Super Eagles New Coach, Nov 8

Published

on

The Nigeria Football Federation (NFF) says the new head coach of the Super Eagles will be announced on Nov. 8 to enable him to resume work on Dec. 1.

Deji Tinubu, the spokesman for the Executive Committee of the NFF, said in Abuja on Wednesday that the committee took the decision at its second meeting at the federation’s Glass House secretariat.

He said the two coaches who had applied for the job would be interviewed on Nov. 4, and listed the applicants as Samson Siasia and Stephen Keshi, both former Super Eagles players.

“They will be interviewed by the Technical Committee which will itself be inaugurated on Nov. 2,” Tinubu said.

The Tidesports reports that action on the employment of a new Super Eagles head coach had been on hold since the lingering Nigerian football crisis heightened.

Former Super Eagles defender Augustine Eguavoen has been in charge in a caretaker capacity after the dismal outing of the team in the 2010 FIFA World Cup in South Africa.

The crisis had snowballed into court cases which made the Executive Committee not to perform, thus leading to FIFA’s suspension of Nigeria and later a provisional lifting of the ban.

The Executive Committee, which had just met following the withdrawal of a court case on Monday, also constituted four standing committees, including the Technical Committee headed by Chris Green, an Executive Committee member.

The 12-man Technical Committee also has former Green Eagles Captain Christian Chukwu, as well as former Super Eagles stars Garba Lawal, Victor Ikpeba and Austin Okocha as members.

Others are FIFA Technical Committee member Adegboye Onigbinde, CAF Media Committee member Paul Bassey, Garba Illa, Felix Anyansi-Agwu, who is the Vice-Chairman; Deji Tinubu and Austen Elumelu.

NFF’s Deputy General Secretary Emmanuel Ikpeme was named as the committee’s Secretary.

The football ruling body also set up the Referees Appointment Committee of seven members with Alhaji Muazu Suleiman as Chairman and Alhaji Ahmed Maude, the President of the Nigeria Referees Association, as Vice-Chairman.

“This will help the Nigerian Premier League of the 2010/2011 season to commence on Saturday, Nov. 6, as proposed by the Nigeria Premier League (NPL) Board,” Tinubu explained.

He also announced the setting up of the Appeals Committee with 13 members, headed by NFF Executive Chairman Aminu Maigari, as well as the Disciplinary Committee, headed by Olaleye Adepoju, with 12 other members serving on it.

“These committees were constituted to ensure that they begin to function immediately.

“The Executive Committee deferred the composition of the other committees to enable it to make wider consultations for qualified, credible and competent persons,” Tinubu said.

The NFF Executive Committee meeting was attended by eight of its members, alongside acting General Secretary Musa Amadu.

Continue Reading
Click to comment

You must be logged in to post a comment Login

Leave a Reply

Sports

WAFU Zone B Qualifier: Rivers Govt Throws Weight Behind Angels FC

Published

on

Rivers State Governor, NyesomWike, has placed a marching order to accord the necessary support needed to aid the Jewels of Rivers, Rivers Angels FC  qualify from  the  West African Union(WAFU) B and ultimately win the CAF Women’s Champions League Cup.
The Rivers State Commissioner for Sports, Boma Iyaye  disclosed this, Monday, in a press statement signed by the state government’s press officer, Daniel Nwankwoala.
The commissioner commended the team for its victory over Hasaacas Ladies of Ghana in the opening match of their group qualifier, played at the weekend.
He promised to give the necessary support needed, as ordered by the State Governor, to enable the team get the desired results, playing their CAF Women’s  qualifier and win the cup as well.
“The Governor has placed an order to ensure that the team lacks nothing needed,  to help boost their morale, help them perform optimally and aid victory, as they embarked on this maiden competition,”  Iyaye said.
Earlier, head coach of the team, Edwin Okon,  has expressed optimism that his team will perform even better, having prepared adequately for the competition.
“We will fight to the end, my girls will do even better job. I can assure you that, the(players) are  in high spirit and determined to win.
“I am glad that we don’t have injuries worries, so, we are set and ready to do Nigeria proud,” he added.
It would be recalled that the Port Harcourt, Nigeria representatives started  their campaign in the WAFU Zone B qualifier  with a 2-0 win against their Ghana opponents, Hasaacas Ladies on Saturday, to get closer to qualification for the semi-finals.

By: Nancy Briggs

Continue Reading

Sports

Sports Minister Hails Anyanacho,Offiong

Published

on

Minister of Youth and Sports Development, Sunday Dare, has described Elizabeth Anyanacho as a future star.
Anyanacho lost 12-7 to Turkey’s Nur Tatar in the Round of 16 of the women’s 67kg taekwondo event at the 2020 Tokyo Olympics on Monday morning.
Dare, who watched the bout, congratulated the 22-year-old despite the defeat.
“You’ve done well against a world champion. Keep your focus. The world will soon rise to salute you in the near future,” Dare told Anyanacho.
Tidesports source reports that he was also on hand to encourage Edem Offiong, who lost 4-1 in the second round of women’s table tennis to the USA’s Lily Zhang.
“You exhibited strength and talent. Nigeria thank you for making the country proud at the Olympics,” Dare told Offiong.
The pair of Godwin Olofua and Anuoluwapo Opeyori also lost their second Group B match in the men’s doubles badminton event against Denmark’s Kim Astrup and Anders Rasmussen, while Dorcas Adesokan was beaten 2-0 by Spain’s Clara Azurmendi in the opening Group B match of the women’s badminton singles.

Continue Reading

Sports

We Won’t Give Up On Playing For Nigeria – Ogwumike Sisters

Published

on

Nneka Ogwumike, Chiney Ogwumike and Elizabeth Williams say they haven’t given up their dream of representing Nigeria in the future after they were denied the opportunity to play for the country women’s basketball team at the Tokyo Games.
The three WNBA stars, who all have American and Nigerian citizenship, would have strengthened D’Tigress squad at the Olympics, but the Court of Arbitration for Sport ruled they were ineligible to represent Nigeria at the moment after having played for the United States.
“I still have a lot of pride and high hopes for the Nigerian team as it is composed now,” Nneka Ogwumike said.
“So, maybe this time around, I won’t be a part of it directly, but I certainly do hope that I can be in the future.”
“I think the fight has just begun,” Chiney Ogwumike said. “I cannot accept to being called a naturalised citizen, when I have full citizenship.
“People don’t know the extent to which my family, and myself in particular, ever since I was at Stanford, has been going back to Nigeria to help. So to have someone say that I am not Nigerian is not fair to my family or my heritage or myself. It just does not feel right at all.”
Williams, who plays for the Atlanta Dream said, “It’s really about the principle now. We’re still going to keep appealing and fighting because I think people need to understand there are a lot of us that have dual citizenship. Even if we grew up here, our households look very different than what people think, and that part of us is very real.

Continue Reading

Trending