Sick persons in Mubi North Local Government of Adamawa now patronise private clinics due to the strike by medical and health workers.
The Nigeria Labour Congress (NLC) had on Monday embarked on an indefinite strike following disagreement with the state government over wages and improved working conditions.
A check by our correspondent at General Hospital, Mubi, showed that Out Patients Department (OPD), Emergency Unit and medical wards were shut, while some of the patients on admission had left.
The situation had forced residents to rely on the available private clinics for medical services.
One of the affected patients who gave his name as Doctor Makul, told newsmen that he had moved to a private clinic for treatment following the collapse of services at the General Hospital.
Participants at the end of a two-day workshop decried the failure by various levels of government to implement recommendations of various judicial commissions of inquiry on crises in the country.
The workshop organised by the Bauchi State Government had the theme “Fostering Peace in a Multi-Cultural and Multi-Religious Setting”.
The participants expressed the concern in a communiqué made available to newsmen in Bauchi last Friday.
They said that the non-implementation of such reports was partly responsible for the recurrence of such crises.
“Judicial Commissions of Inquiry should be balanced and fair to all sides and their reports should be fully implemented to serve as deterrence and to forestall future recurrence.
“States without such ongoing societal re-orientation programme should emulate the initiative of Bauchi State and establish a similar programme.
Participants at a two-day sensitisation workshop on sanitation and hygiene have expressed concern over the weak implementation of public health laws due to low political will and inadequate manpower.
In a communiqué issued at the end of the workshop on Friday in Markurdi, the participants also expressed concern over the poor coordination of sanitation and hygiene issues in the country.
The communiqué was jointly signed by Ifeoma Charles-Monwuba, National Coordinator of Water Supply and Sanitation Collaborative Council, an NGO, and Peter Cookey on behalf of other participant.
They noted that the challenge had undermined Nigeria’s efforts at achieving the MDGs target in the sector.
More than 100 women were screened for breast and cervical cancer on Saturday in Abuja.
The screening exercise was organised by “Stand up to Cancer Naija”, an Abuja-based NGO, as part of activities marking the 2010 Sister’s Convention of the Redeemed Christian Church of God (RCCG), Mega Parish, Abuja.
Some of the women told newmen that they were initially scared of the test because of the outcome of the result.
Mrs Zainab Mamman said she was initially scared of the screening but was, however, glad that she did the test.
Mrs Isimhanze Margaret said that she was not surprised to find that people were afraid to come for the test, explaining that lack of money to pay hospital bill prevented her from taking the test before now.
“The test is quite cheap here. I paid N1,000 to get the two tests done.
The Nigerian Railway Corporation (NRC) is to begin an Intra-city Train Service in Kano the Minister of Transport, Alhaji Yusuf Sulaiman has said.
Sulaiman disclosed this in Kano when he inspected facilities along the Kano-Challawa-Kano route of the proposed train service, recently.
He said the project was informed by government’s decision to ease transportation problems in the country by using the railway system.
According to him, the new train service will assist in decongesting traffic in Kano city for easy movement of people.
The minister, therefore, advised parents to allow their children to patronise the service.
Sulaiman disclosed that Intra-city Train Service would be introduced in six cities, Kano, Jos Maiduguri, Lagos, Enugu and Port Harcourt.
He said necessary work had been completed to commence the service in the six towns before the end of 2010.
To check deforestation in Kebbi State, the National Environmental Standards and Regulations Enforcement Agency (NESREA), has intensified its tree planting campaign.
The NESREA Coordinator in the state, Dr Ahmed Kasim, told newsmen on Friday in Abuja that the exercise was part of the campaign to safeguard the environment.
“The tree planting campaign is aimed at improving forest reserve, especially considering t hat trees will help to stem emission of carbon dioxide and other pollutants of the earth”, he said.
He said the campaign would be carried out in conjunction with the state government and the NYSC Club.
NESREA, he said, would take the campaign to secondary schools in the state to enable students imbibe the culture of planting trees.
He also stressed needs to carry out tree planting campaigns at local, state and federal levels to boost the boost the stock of trees in the country.
The Kwara Government for Friday warned those involved in its FADAMA programme against fraudulent practices.
Governor Bukola Saraki gave the warning in Ilorin while flagging-off the FADAMA III programme.
He said those involved in the initiative should follow the procurement guidelines as well as ensure due process in their transactions.
He said his government had contributed its N40 million counterpart fund for the take off of the programme, adding that 10 councils benefited from FADAMA II.
In his remarks, Prof. Mohammed Yisa, the Commissioner for Agriculture and Natural Resources, said the ultimate objective of giving agriculture top priority was to ensure food security.
Yisa said agriculture would also help to create employment and attract investors in agribusiness and agro tourism.
He commended the World Bank for providing funds to alleviate poverty in the state.
The scarcity and high cost of fresh tomatoes and pepper will linger till the end of the rainy season, Alhaji Haruna Muhammed, Chairman Mile 12 Market Management Committee, has said.
Muhammed told newsmen Friday in Lagos that the scarcity of the commodities was due to the rainy season.
He said that the current scarcity and high cost of food items in the country, was contrary to speculations by some people that it was as a result of the anticipated strike by traders in the north.
He said that the species of tomatoes and pepper currently in the market came from Jos, due to the cold weather in the city.
Muhammed said that other species of tomatoes and pepper were from Ibadan and Ghana, adding that these were the ones that consumers would be compelled to make use of till the end of the rainy season.
The Nigeria Union of Teachers (NUT), Lagos chapter, on Saturday warned of the implications of teachers in Oyo State going on strike over non-implementation of Teachers Salary Scale (TSS).
Our correspondent reports that teachers in Oyo State are on a warning strike to press home their demand for the implementation of the new enhanced salary agreement signed in August 2008.
The Secretary, NUT Lagos State, Mr. Jamiu Idris, told newsmen in an interview that the development in Oyo State was regrettable.
“I particularly feel bad about this development because Oyo State is the only state that is yet to implement the 27.5 per cent teachers’ enhancement salary scale (in the Southwest).
“It is unfortunate that the Oyo State Government has not been responsive enough when it comes to teachers’ welfare”, Idris said.
The Police in Ijebu-Ode last Friday arraigned a 50-year-old woman, Comfort Okuneye, before an Ijebu-Ode Magistrate’s Court for allegedly failing to produce her son whom she stood surety for.
The Police Prosecutor, Insp. Temitope Babatunde, told the court that Okuneye had on March 23 at Obalende Police Station, Ijebu-Ode, volunteered to stand as a surety for her son, Bola Okuneye, who was alleged to have stolen N375,000.
Babatunde explained that Okuneye, who pledged to produce the suspect whenever he was needed, signed a bail bond of N400,000.
She explained that Okuneye’s failure to produce her son when he was needed led to her arrest and arraignment in court.
Okuneye, however, pleaded not guilty to the one-count charge.
The Defence Counsel, Mr. D.T. Fowodu, told the court to grant the accused person bail on liberal terms since the offence was bailable.
The Plateau government has said that there is no going back on the ban on commercial motorcyclists, also known as okada.
A statement on Friday, in Jos, signed by the commissioner for Information and Communications, Mr Gregory Yenlong, said that anyone who defaulted would face appropriate sanctions.
The Plateau House of Assembly in May passed a bill prohibiting the use of motorcycles popularly called ‘okada’ for commercial purposes.
A Jos Federal high judgment on Thursday, dismissed a suit instituted by the Association of Commercial Motorcycle Riders of Nigeria (ACOMORAN) against the state government.
The court dismissed the suit on grounds that it would not stop the enforcement of the law which was enacted pursuant to the powers vested on the state government by the constitution.
UNILORIN Engages Landlords Association On Students’ Safety
The Management of the University of Ilorin says the institution is interacting with the Association of Landlords within its communities to ensure the protection of students.
Dean, Student Affairs, Unilorin, Prof. Lanre Ajibade, at a news conference in Ilorin yesterday assured that no stone would be left unturned toward ensuring safety of students.
According to Ajibade, the University has been engaging in consistent interactions with the landlord association of the communities to ensure students who live in the area enjoy the best treatment possible.
He said that although no fresh and returning student of the University was set to resume the 2021/2022 academic session, many live off campus, particularly within Tanke and the neighbouring communities,
He recalled the recent murder of a female student of the University and said management had been working vigorously with security agencies to ensure perpetrators of the heinous act were prosecuted.
The dean noted that the University was working assiduously with all the security agencies and other stakeholders within and outside the institution to ensure the safety of the community.
The University’s Chief Security Officer, Mr Abdulwasiu Oyewo, also said that his personnel were working day and night to provide maximum security in the area.
Oyewo said that the security officers were in constant patrol of the environment, adding that vehicles with tinted glasses and without registration number would not be allowed on campus.
Also, Officer-in-Charge of the Intelligence Unit in the University’s Security Division, Mr Ali Na’Allah, said that the unit would continue to engage in discreet information gathering on campus.
Unemployed Man, 22, Docked For Stealing Two iPhones, Laptop
A 22-year-old unemployed man, Akinwunmi Rotimi, yesterday appeared in a Magistrates’ Court in Ota, Ogun for allegedly stealing two iPhones, an Hp Laptop and other valuables.
The police charged Rotimi, whose address was not provided, with two counts of burglary and stealing.
The Prosecution Counsel, Cynthia Ejezie, told the court that the defendant also stole N240,000.
Ejezie said that the defendant committed the offence on April 3 at about 4 a.m.at No.6 Ayoola Adeyinka, off Tetiku road, Owode-Ijako, Ota.
He said that the defendant broke into the house of the complainant, Mrs Adeleye Anike.
She said that the police from the Sango-Ota Police Station, tracked one of the phones to the defendant.
The offence, the prosecutor said, contravened the provisions of sections 383 (1) and 412 of the Criminal Code Vol.11, Laws of Ogun, 2006.
The defendant, however, pleaded not guilty to the charge.
The counsel to the defendant, Mr Ambrose Aisedion, prayed the court to grant the defendant bail in the most liberal terms.
Magistrate Shotunde Shotayo admitted the defendant to bail in the sum of N250, 000 with two sureties in like sum.
Shotayo ordered that the sureties reside within the court’s jurisdiction and be gainfully employed with two-year tax payment to Ogun Government.
The case was adjourned until June 17 for a definite hearing.
CDHR Tasks Police On Rescue Of Abducted Ebonyi Children
Committee for the Defence of Human Rights (CDHR) has urged Police and sister agencies to secure unconditional release of the seven Ebonyi children abducted by suspected hoodlums at Enyigba community.
The children were abducted from their respective homes at Enyigba community in Abakaliki Local Government Area (LGA) of Ebonyi by unknown persons, following alleged renewed conflict over land dispute with Enyibichiri community in Ikwo LGA.
A statement signed by State Secretary of CDHR, Mr Jeremiah Oyibe, yesterday in Abakaliki, urged the police to ensure safe and unconditional release of the seven abductees.
The CDHR added that the police and the state government should ensure the arrest and trial of those involved in the criminal abduction of the innocent children.
The group expressed displeasure that children had become target of attacks in armed conflicts and extreme violence.
It said that abduction of children in armed conflicts for whatever reason was not only condemnable and disturbing but heartbreaking.
“Ensuring accountability for such crimes along with crimes against humanity and genocides is an essential part of upholding responsibility to protection as well as establishing a basis for sustainable peace and reconciliation.
“Not bringing perpetrators to book is tantamount to evading accountability and such impunity not only denies victims justice and reparations, it equally produces an environment conducive for continuous perpetration of such crimes,” the group said.
The Ebonyi government in conjunction with Christian Association of Nigeria (CAN), Ebonyi chapter, had waded into the boundary dispute involving the two sister communities and settled the dispute.
The state government and CAN brokered peace agreement was signed by the two communities and the boundaries clearly demarcated.
CDHR, however, expressed sadness that the recent crisis that led to the abduction of the seven children whom their mothers left at home when they went to the market to buy food stuff.
“We, therefore, wish to urge the Inspector General of Police, Nigeria Government, Ebonyi government to, as matter of urgency, facilitate safe return of the abducted children from Enyigba community,” the CDHR added.
Gov. Dave Umahi of Ebonyi at a recent expanded stakeholders security meeting in Abakaliki, promised to ensure that all the abducted children were released unhurt and reunited with their families.
- Niger Delta5 days ago
Rep Woos Stakeholders Over FMC Bill
- News5 days ago
Buhari Parries Question On Twitter Ban
- Business5 days ago
Lawmakers Want CBN To Halt Naira Devaluation
- Politics5 days ago
Previewing Nigeria’s New Democracy Day
- Entertainment5 days ago
Nollywood Veteran Actor, Bruno Iwuoha Bows Out
- City Crime2 days ago
10 Offenders Convicted Under Anti-Piracy Law – NIMASA DG
- Politics5 days ago
Senators Rate 9th National Assembly High
- Politics5 days ago
…Urges Ondo Gov To Shelve N2bn Gov’s Lodge Project