Connect with us

Front Pix

Yar’Adua “We’ll Embark On Civil Disobedience If…”

Published

on

Freedom Fighters in Niger Delta Delta region say they will embark on civil disobedience in Nigeria if Vice President Goodluck Jonathan is not given the constitutional power to act as President within 14 days in the absence of the ailing President Umaru Musa Yar’Adua from the country.

The threat of the Niger Delta Freedom Fighters is coming on the heels of Federal High Court order on the Federal Executive Council (FEC) to determine within 14 days the state of health of President Yar’Adua who has been absent from the country for 62 days on health grounds.

The Chief Judge of the Federal High Court, Justice Dan Abutu, in delivering judgement in a case filed by a former member of the House of Representatives, Mr Farouk Aliyu and a lawyer, Sani Gabbas said the only body recognized by the constitution is the Executive Council of the Federation, and that the resolution should be made public.

But reacting to what is called “Offshore Presidency of Yar’Adua”, the Niger Delta Freedom Fighters did not hide their feelings that time is coming for action to give Nigeria a leadership especially since the 62-day absentia of President Yar’Adua.

In a text message to journalists nationwide, Co-ordinator of Niger Delta Freedom Fighters, Nengi James said “we will be forced to embark on civil disobedience by using any means necessary to ensure that Vice President Goodluck Jonathan is given the constitutional rights to take over the leadership of Nigeria in line with the High Court judgment declaration of 14 days ultimatum to Federal Executive Council.”

In the face of protest rallies in Abuja and Lagos so far, demanding that Vice President Goodluck Jonathan be inaugurated as acting president, James said the Niger Delta Freedom Fighters are individuals in cause of true democracy and war against corruption in the country.

January 12, 2010, Nobel Laureate, Prof Wole Soyinka and other human rights activities had led a protest rally in the streets of Abuja demanding for the inauguration of Jonathan as acting president.

Thursday January 21, 2010, another group under the aegis of Save Nigeria Group (SNG) held a protect rally in Lagos making a case for acting presidency of Jonathan.

The rally tagged “Enough is enough” started from Archbishop Vining Memorial playground at GRA Ikeja, Lagos and ended up at Government House, Alaosa where they presented a letter to Governor Babatunde Fashola (SAN) for onward presentation to the Governors’ Forum.

Tunde Bakare of the Latter Rain Assembly who formally presented the group’s letter of request to Fashola, lamented that with Nigeria leaders, one couldn’t draw straight lines but crooked ones.

Soyinka was not at the Lagos rally but sent in a message from India in which he said the rally was not much about vacuum in governance but how it (vacuum) should be filled.

Both the Abuja and Lagos protest rally did not witness any ugly incidents, and there are indications that the protest rally demanding for Jonathan to be made acting president will spread to major cities of the country to press home their demand.

Meanwhile, James said a strategic and implementation unit of the Freedom Fighters League and Freelance Fighters in Niger Delta will meet on February 3, to strategise on line of action.FRONT PICTURE1

Continue Reading
Click to comment

You must be logged in to post a comment Login

Leave a Reply

Front Pix

90% Of Money Laundered Via Real Estate, EFCC Reveals

Published

on

The Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC) says about 90 per cent of money laundering is done through the real estate sector.
The commission’s Chairman, Abdulrasheed Bawa, stated this while featuring on Channels TV’s Sunrise Daily, yesterday,
According to him, although the sector is monitored via the special control unit, more needed to be done.
According to Bawa, “One of the problems we have now is the real estate. 90 to 100 per cent of the resources are being laundered through the real estate.”
He said there are so many issues involved, but that they were working with the National Assembly to stop what he called “the gate keepers” as there would be reduction in looting if there is no one to launder the money.
Bawa, the EFCC boss, gave an example of a minister who expressed interest in a $37.5million property a bank manager put up for sale.
He said, “The bank sent a vehicle to her house and in the first instance $20million was evacuated from her house.
“They paid a developer and a lawyer set up a special purpose vehicle, where the title documents were transferred into.
“And he (the lawyer) is posing as the owner of the property. You see the problem. This is just one of many; it is happening daily.”
The EFCC chairman also revealed that he receives death threats often.
Asked to respond to President Muhammadu Buhari’s frequent “Corruption is fighting back” expression, Bawa said he was in New York, USA, last week, when someone called to threaten him.
“Last week, I was in New York when a senior citizen received a phone call from somebody that is not even under investigation.
“The young man said, ‘I am going to kill him (Bawa), I am going to kill him’.
“I get death threats. So, it is real. Corruption can fight back,” he said.
On corruption in the civil service, he said there were a lot of gaps, especially in contracts processing, naming “emergency contracts” as one.
Bawa said, “A particular agency is notorious for that. They have turned all their contracts to emergency contracts.”
However, he said, EFCC has strategies in place to check corruptions, one of which is “corruption risk assessments of MDAs”.
According to him, “I have written to the minister and would soon commence the process of corruption risk assessments of all the parastatals and agencies under the Ministry of Petroleum Resources to look at their vulnerability to fraud and advise them accordingly.”
Asked if the scope of corruption in the country overwhelms him, Bawa, the EFCC boss said, “Yes, and no.”

Continue Reading

Featured

We’ve Spent N9bn To Upgrade RSUTH, Wike Confirms

Published

on

The Rivers State Governor, Chief Nyesom Wike, says his administration has spent N9billion in upgrading structures and installation of new equipment at the Rivers State University Teaching Hospital (RSUTH).
He said the fact that 40 per cent of the 2021 budget of the state is dedicated to provision of quality healthcare delivery was a further demonstration of the priority placed on the sector.
Wike made the explanation at the foundation laying ceremony for the construction of a Renal Centre at RSUTH, last Friday.
The governor said he made promise to Rivers people that the best would be provided to them in all sectors of the society within his capability because of the mandate they gave to him.
“As we came on here, I just looked around and I see the changes in this teaching hospital. I can say that we have put not less than N9billion in this teaching hospital.
“If you look at the budget, the health sector alone, what it’s taking from the Rivers State Government is not less than 40 percent of the 2021 budget.”
Speaking further, Wike said the state government cannot afford to implement free medical service programme in the present economic circumstance.
While dismissing the request for a subvention for RSUTH, Wike, however, commended the chief medical director and his team for their commitment to turnaround the fortunes of RSUTH.
“I have never seen anywhere that health services can be totally free. They’re telling me that people who come here can’t pay. I have never declared that this state is going to take over the health fees of anybody.”
Also speaking, the former Minister of Transport, Dr. Abiye Sekibo, who performed the flag-off, noted that Wike’s achievements in the health sector in particular, surpass what former governors of the state had done.
Sekibo said that the governor has given equal attention to every section of the health sector by providing complete health infrastructure that was positioning the state as a medical tourism destination in Nigeria.
Earlier, the Rivers State Commissioner for Health, Prof Princewill Chike, lauded Governor Nyesom Wike for his interest in the health of Rivers people.
He noted that the renal centre, when completed, would become another landmark development project in the health sector that would handle and manage all kidney-related ailments.
In his remarks, the Chief Medical Director of the Rivers State University Teaching Hospital, Dr. Friday Aaron, commended Wike for approving the renal centre.
Aaron explained that chronic kidney disease was a major burden globally with estimated 14 million cases in Nigeria.
According to him, over 240,000 of these cases require renal replacement therapy in the form of dialysis and renal transplant.
The CMD said the building that would house the centre was expected to be completed in six months and consists of two floors.
The ground floor, according to him, would house the haemodialysis unit with eight haemodialysis machines.
He further explained that the first floor of the centre would house the surgical component where most of the sophisticated equipment for kidney transplant would be installed.
Aaron said Wike has released the funds required to build, equip the centre as well as for the training of personnel locally and internationally.

Continue Reading

Featured

Power Generation Falls 23% To 3,172MW

Published

on

Power supply in Nigeria has failed to improve on last week’s performance, as it fell by 22.9 per cent from peak generation of 4,115Megawatts on Saturday to 3,172.20MW as at 5pm, yesterday, latest data from the System Operator has shown.
According to the data, most power plants were operating far below capacity due to gas shortage with Olorunsogo Power Plant 335MW capacity; and Sapele Power Plant, 450MW capacity; completely out.
Egbin was generating at 746MW; Omoku 37.20; Omotosho (NIPP) at 105MW; while Afam was generating at 80MW.
The data showed that on the average power generation in the past seven days were 4,120.9MW on Sunday, June 6; 4,249.4 on Monday, June 7; 4,000.9MW on Tuesday, June 8; 3,720.7 on Wednesday, June 9; 3,517 on Thursday, June 10; 3,765MW on Friday, June 11; and 4,115MW on Saturday, June 12.
The International Oil Companies (IOCs), had last warned that despite Nigeria’s huge gas reserves a lot needs to be done to attract investment to the sector to develop gas reserves to boost power generation in the country.
Speaking at the just concluded Nigeria International Petroleum Summit, the Chair, Shell Companies in Nigeria/MD SPDC, Osagie Okunbor, said with 203trillion Cubic Feet of gas reserves, what was needed in the country is to deliver projects that would produce the gas.
“The challenge is not just growing the reserves but in producing these reserves for the benefits of our country. Essentially growing the reserves and delivering on the production is a function of two or three elements.
“I like to see infrastructure that is required for the development of these resources at two levels. Soft infrastructure is often the one that is more important than and that is the one that is actually drives most of what you see at site.”
“Soft infrastructure refers to the enabling environment and nothing pleases me as much seeing both the Senate President and the speaker of the house give very firm commitments about trying to pass the PIB this month.
“That is probably the big one of the enabling environment to provide the kind of stability we also need all sorts of other issues we need to that we have discussed severally in terms of sanctity of contract, stable policies and collaboration and I think we are well on our way there”, he added.

Continue Reading

Trending