Connect with us

Front Pix

Toe Part Of Honour, OBJ Tells Yar’Adua President Out Of Hospital – PDP

Published

on

Former President Olusegun Obasanjo has urged ailing President Umaru Musa Yar’Adua to toe the line of honour following his protracted illness and absence in the country.

The former president who barred his mind at the annual Trust Dialogue organised by the  editor of the Daily Trust remarked that since he can no longer deliver quality leadership to the people then there is a path of honour based on moral principles.

Chief Obasanjo, who absolved himself from the choice of President Yar’Adua to succeed him said at the time of the campaign and elections, Yar’Adua health had shown serious improvement and stability.

He admitted that he was aware that the president had an ailment but said medical report presented to him indicated that he had successful kidney transplant.

He said: I was aware that he had a kidney transplant. In short when he was governor he was away for about six months”.

Meanwhile, Nigeria’s ruling party, the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP), says President Umaru Yar’Adua has been discharged from a Saudi hospital, though it did not say when he will return to Nigeria.

Reports earlier this month said President Yar’Adua had left the King Faisal Hospital in Jeddah, Saudi Arabia, and was staying in VIP quarters attached to the facility.

In a statement, Tuesday the PDP confirmed the president has been discharged from the hospital and said he expressed hope of returning home as soon as possible.

Yar’Adua has made no appearances and has given only one brief radio interview since being flown to Saudi Arabia, November 23, 2009.

Vice President Goodluck Jonathan has assumed effective control of the government in his absence.

Officials have said Yar’Adua is suffering from a heart condition, acute peridcarditis. The president is also known to have a chronic kidney ailment and has travelled abroad several times in the past for medical treatment.

A federal court ruled last week that Jonathan can carry out presidential duties while Yar’Adua is away without a formal transfer of power.

However, federal judges are still considering three lawsuits seeking to have Jonathan sworn in as acting president.

Opposition groups have expressed fears of a power vacuum in Nigeria, Africa’s most populous nation and a major oil producer.

Officials have said repeatedly that the president is improving and talking to aides on the phone.

 Also based on the awareness of the growing discontent within the polity, Senators who spoke on the issue on the condition of anonymity, noted that it was the legislature that was on trial.

One of them said, “There is nothing personal about this. We all wish the President well but we have a country to build. And we can no longer watch our country go down the hill.

The senators are seeking to be allowed to openly deliberate on the provisions of Section 145 of the 1999 Constitution.

Section 145 reads: “Whenever the President transmits to the President of the Senate and the Speaker of the House of Representatives a written declaration that he is proceeding on vacation or that he is otherwise unable to discharge the functions of his office, until he transmits to them a written declaration to the contrary such functions shall be discharged by the Vice-President as Acting President.”

However, the three senators from Katsina State namely Ibrahim Ida, Mahmoud Kanti-Bello and Garba Lado were said to be organising a counter-force. None of them was reachable on the telephone as at the time of filing this report.

The three legislators had tried unsuccessfully to dissuade their colleagues from debating the issue when it came up last Tuesday. They, however, succeeded in “watering down the outcome.”

Mark had, as reported in the media on Monday, declared that President Yar’Adua was yet to breach any provision of the constitution even when civil society groups insisted that section 145 of the constitution was not complied with.

He was quoted as telling reporters in Lagos on Monday that “there is none (constitutional crisis) yet on his absence from office.

“The civil service rules are quite different from the constitution and so far, the President has not breached any constitution with his absence.”

Meanwhile, former Head of State, Gen. Ibrahim Babangida has congratulated the Senate for the matured manner in which it was handling the matters of state.

He said this when the Senator Victor Ndoma-Egba led Senate delegation to paid a condolence visit to him over the death of his wife Mariam, in Minna, Niger State.

Print Friendly, PDF & Email
Continue Reading
Click to comment

You must be logged in to post a comment Login

Leave a Reply

Featured

Governor Wike Releases N450M To 2019 Presidential Election Violence Victims In Abonnema

Published

on

The State Chief Executive Nyesom Ezenwo Wike has released the sum of Four hundred and fifty million naira to the victims of the 2019 Presidential election violence in Abonnema.
Speaking during  a meeting preparatory to giving out the cash, Governor Wike  said the gesture is in fulfilment of his promise to the people of Abonnema  at the Church service to honour those who lost their lives, the injured and those who lost properties during the crisis.
Represented by the Secretary to the State Government Dr. Tammy Wenike  Danagogo, Governor Wike said no amount of money could adequately compensate the people for the harrowing experience they suffered in the hands of the Nigerian Army, stating that he appreciates the support and commitment of the People of  Akuku Toru Local Government Area before, during and after the elections. He said he would continue to execute programmes that would positively impact on the lives of the people of the  Area.
He assured them that the second phase of the Abonnema ring road would be commissioned before the end of June, stressing that the contractor has been fully paid.
According to him in the face of the Covid 19 Pandemic he has continued to stand by the People of the State by taking practical steps not only to protect Rivers People but to also provide palliatives to bring succour to the vulnerable and less privileged unlike the   selfish politicians in other political  parties who only visit the people to solicit for votes during elections but do not have the interest of the people at heart.
In his remarks the Amayanabo of Abonnema King Disrael  Gbobo Bobmanuel thanked  Governor Wike for fulfilling his promise to the Abonnema People, noting that the Governor has proven over the years that his word is his bond.
According to him the Governor is a man worthy of trust and support because he has fulfilled all his promises to the Abonnema People. He Advised beneficiaries to make judicious use of the Money the Governor has graciously given to them.
Earlier the Chairman of Akuku Toru Local Government Area Hon. Roland Sekibo who said he is still traumatized by the events that took place during the Presidential election in 2019 expressed gratitude to Governor Wike for his kind gesture, stressing that the People of his Local Government Area would continue to support the Governor in his quest to improve the lives of Rivers People.
Also speaking one of the beneficiaries Mr  Minamiango Romeo  who sustained gunshot injuries  expressed gratitude to Governor Wike for not abandoning them in their time of need and promised to continue to support his Administration and the leaders of the Local Government Area.
Print Friendly, PDF & Email
Continue Reading

Featured

PROBE: EFCC Should Stop Media Trial – Rivers State Government

Published

on

The Rivers State Government says its attention has been drawn to a fresh wave of media trial by the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC) against the officials of the state.

According  to a statement issued by the state Commissioner for information and Communications, Pastor Paulinus Nsirim, “the latest attempt contained in today’s edition( May 24,2020)of The Nation Newspaper alleged that the State Government has refused to release top officials for interrogation in connection to the withdrawal of N118 billion in cash between 2015 and 2018.

 

“We have repeatedly said that the State Government will not release its officials to the EFCC for investigations until the commission approaches the Court  to set aside Subsisting orders of perpetual  injunction granted by various courts of competent jurisdiction restraining the EFCC from investigating or inquiring into the financial transactions of the Rivers  State Government including its ministries, departments and  agencies.

 

“In view of these  Subsisting judgments, it would amount  to an act of brazen  illegality for the EFCC to  insist  on  interrogating  any official OF the Rivers State Government.
For the avoidance of doubt, no official of the Rivers State Government would appear before the EFCC until the subsisting judgments in favour of the Rivers State Government are set aside on appeal.

“Resorting to the Media can only be described as cheap blackmail and witch-hunt to turn away public attention from the development strides in the State.

“This media trial that they engage in all the time will not take the place of our extant laws no matter how hard they try.

“The EFCC should stop playing to the gallery and pursue its war against corruption within the ambits of the law.

 

“Rivers State Government is committed to the Rule of Law and cannot be intimidated by the EFCC.

“Those who want to use the EFCC to promote their political agenda in the State will fail because we know their antics.

“Targeting Rivers State for this occasional media trial should be seen by the public for what it is, “political witch-hunt,” the statement said.

Print Friendly, PDF & Email
Continue Reading

Featured

Rivers Records 27 New Coronavirus Cases …Manager Of Prodest Hotel Among The New Cases

Published

on

Rivers State has recorded 27 new positive coronavirus  cases.

A statement signed by the Rivers state Ministry of Information and Communications, Pastor Paulinus Nsirim, disclosed that the Manager of Prodest Hotel, Eleme is among the new positive cases.

According to the statement, the latest development validates the State Government’s proactive approach towards the fight against COVID-19.

Recall that Prodest Hotel was demolished two weeks ago because the owners violated Executive Order 7 which banned the operation of hotels.

The COVID-19 Taskforce members from the Local Government who went to enforce the Executive Order were brutalized and dehumanised leading to the death of one of them.

Print Friendly, PDF & Email
Continue Reading

Trending