Connect with us

News

NASS To Investigate UNN Students’ Protest

Published

on

Apparently disturbed by the violent demonstration by students of the University of Nigeria Nsukka (UNN) which led to the immediate closure of the institution last Saturday, the Chairman, Senate Committee on Information and Media, Chief Ayogu Eze has called on National Assembly to investigate the remote and immediate causes of the upheaval to avoid further unrest at the university.

Senator Ayogu who spoke to reporters in Enugu, Sunday, condemned the ugly development at UNN, saying it was high time sanity was brought to the nation’s citadel of learning which he noted had been the pride of not only the South East, but the nation in general.

His words: “My attention has been drawn to the riot by Students of the University of Nigeria Nsukka on Saturday, January 16, 2010 leading to the destruction of valuable property. I condemn this action by the students in very strong terms. I have however studied the situation leading to this sad development and I have found out that the management of the university has a lot of questions to answer. The Vice Chancellor, Professor Bartholomew Okolo has been most inaccessible to the Students’ Union leadership and where he is, has been most intransigent in dealing with issues of administration”

According to him, “The immediate cause of the riot was an attempt to raise school fees by as high as 150 percent without, as it were, taking all stakeholders on board. As the Senator representing the area where the university is located, I know next to nothing about what is going on in the university. Since this riot broke out, I have called the Vice Chancellor over 20 times and sent text messages all of which have been ignored. Gone are the days when Vice Chancellors operated like mini-gods and looked down on everybody”, he  stressed.

Chief Ayogu who did not hide his feelings during the chat further said, “If a senator can be ignored so brazenly, only God knows how this Vice Chancellor relates to his subordinates. I wish to ask the Committee on Education in the Senate and House of Representatives to conduct full hearing on this matter with a view to getting to the root of this matter”.

He also made it clear that the people of his district were also worried about reported moves by the Vice Chancellor and the school authorities to move out professional courses from the school, adding “We are major stakeholders in that university and refuse to be ignored in the affairs of the school”.

In a swift reaction, the embattled Vice Chancellor of UNN, Professor Barth Okolo, dismissed rumours making the rounds that a hike in school fees ignited the recent violent demonstration by students of the institution. Professor Okolo , who addressed newsmen at the Enugu Campus of the university, also insisted there was no time that the management of the institution proposed any hike in students school fees, maintaining that students did not organise the unrest. He accused some staff of the institution who contested the position of the vice chancellor with him of masterminding the protest that led to wanton destruction of properties of the institution, saying that the sponsors of the unrest were not happy with his administration’s giant strides within a short time. His words: “The protest was not caused by any hike in school fees. We never proposed any increment in school fees. We did not increase students’ schools fees. Students did not arrange the protest. Some miscreants who contested the position of the VC with me and failed arranged the protest. We have their names. They destroyed the new things that we brought to the institution. “As I said before, there is a process for school fees increment; it is not our work to increase school fees. The management has no powers to determine school fees. We assured the Student Union Government ( SUG) and other stakeholders that they will be informed when schools fees will be increased”, the embattled VC added. It would be recalled that students of UNN, Saturday January 16, 2010 embarked on violent demonstration destroying properties of the university worth millions of Naira which led to the immediate closure of the institution by the authorities of the school.

Print Friendly, PDF & Email
Continue Reading

News

N’Delta Leaders Insist On Resource Control, Self-Determination

Published

on

Some leaders of the Niger Delta have demanded granting of self-determination to their region to take total control of its resources and end years of alleged exploitation, deprivation and slavery of their people in the Nigerian state.
The leaders, who lamented that the people of the Niger Delta had been talking and agitating for resource control and restructuring of the country through conferences but to no avail, said the time had come for them to take their destiny in their hands.
In a keynote address at a conference by the Niger Delta Alternative Convergence (NDAC) to endorse the eight-point demand in the “Niger Delta Manifesto for Socio-Ecological Justice” in Uyo, Akwa Ibom State, former Chairman, Editorial Board of The Guardian, Prof. G. G. Darah, said: “From the challenges we are facing in the Niger Delta region, we seem to assume that the Federal Government is on our side whereas the Federal Government is the number one enemy of the Niger Delta.
“Today, people are anxious to be the president of Nigeria because there is the Niger Delta oil for them to squander. What this means is that the political system is all organised for taking control of the oil money, to share it among the friends of the president. All the parties are organised gangs to loot and plunder the Niger Delta resources.
“That is the country we are in. Therefore, we must assume that whatever government that comes to office in 2023 will not be different from the past ones since 1960. Nigeria has been designed to steal our resources and share. They gather monthly in Abuja to share the money. All our presidents, now and past, occupied office for the purpose of plundering our resources, otherwise our own son would have done something. Jonathan, when he was president, had no capacity to touch any bad section of the constitution against the Niger Delta”.
According to Darah, “Nigeria exists today because of Niger Delta oil and Nigeria is the only country in the world that has colonised its people.
“Now, we are pleading that the Federal Government should implement the manifesto. We have to do it by ourselves because if you look at history, it is not today that our people have been fighting against injustice. Jonathan called for a national conference and all the issues raised could not be implemented. So, what we are doing now is the authentication of the national conference for Nigerian people.
“The structure of Nigeria is against us and to build a new Nigeria will take time. We need a Niger Delta that will be in charge of its own resources and aim to be a country of its own, a sovereign country. Some ethnic groups in the Niger Delta are bigger than some European countries and our ancestors in their grave will not forgive us that we succumbed cheaply. We are well populated”.
Prof. Lucky Akaruese of the Ishekiri nationality aligned with the position of Darah, noting that many countries of the world like East Timo and Indonesia, Singapore and Malaysia, Denmark and Norway, Yugoslavia and the Soviet Union that split into many countries are products of negotiations, so the Niger Delta and Nigeria cannot be an exception.
A prominent traditional ruler from Rivers State backed the demand for a sovereign state.
“I agree with Prof. Darah that we should clamour for Niger Delta Republic, and the manifesto we are signing today, we should speak with one voice. We have been talking and now it is only action that will bring result. There is nothing the Niger Delta has gotten without struggle.
“The manifesto will remain a document if we do not put it to action. The Pan-Niger Delta Forum (PANDEF) presented a 16-point agenda but only two were implemented. So, we need to take a deliberate action on some of the issues we raise here.”
The convener of NDAC and Executive Director of Health of Mother Earth Foundation (HOMEF), Comrade Nnimmo Bassey, said: “The convergence also aims to produce an inclusive Niger Delta Manifesto for Socio-Ecological Justice highlighting needed alternatives for transformation and social mobilisations for resource justice. It is hoped that NDAC will provoke a platform for convergence of communities in the region to galvanise action for needed changes for re-source access, including through demands for legislative changes, debates on the Petroleum Industry Bill and for critical attainment of re-source democracy – defined as the right of a people to live in harmony with nature and to retain a right to use, or not use, the gifts of nature.”
He stated that 64 years of oil extraction had brought untold misery and cut life abysmally low in the region.
“Things cannot continue this way. We have demands and resolves in the proposed Niger Delta Manifesto shared to delegates. Let’s all rise to be counted, demand that politicians declare their environmental plans before they gain our votes. Let us demand real climate action, including a halt to gas flaring and a restoration of our ecosystems. Let us demand action to stall the washing away of our communities. After 64 years of a nightmare, it is time to wake up, it is time to demand socio-ecological justice. We are not calling for charity, we are calling for justice”.
Former Governor of Akwa Ibom State, Obong Victor Attah, and the National Chairman of PANDEF, Senator Ibok Essien, clamoured for restructuring and total control of resources.
They pleaded with the people of the region to get their PVCs to vote people that will carry out restructuring of the country.

Print Friendly, PDF & Email
Continue Reading

News

Nwuke Dismisses Wike’s Alleged Plan To Dump PDP

Published

on

A former member of the House of Representatives, Ogbonna Nwuke, last Friday, dismissed the speculations that Rivers State Governor, Chief Nyesom Wike, would soon dump the Peoples Democratic Party.
There have been insinuations that Wike might join either the Labour Party or the New Nigeria Political Party (NNPP) ahead of the 2023 general election.
This is coming after the governor met with the presidential candidate of Labour Party, Peter Obi; and the presidential candidate of NNPP, Rabiu Kwankwaso, in Port Harcourt, last week.
While speaking with newsmen in Port Harcourt,Nwuke said Wike has no plans to dump the PDP for any other party.
He further stated that the Rivers State governor would not defect considering the large followership he has built across the country.
Nwuke said, ”It just tells you who Governor Wike is. This is the first time he is playing national politics. But you can see that Wike has entered the minds of a lot of Nigerians. They are taking him seriously. Even the performance at the convention where the North rallied behind the scene to stop him, did not end in disgrace.
“So, if you look at the outcome of the convention, you will know that Governor Wike controls a sizable number of PDP members. A huge segment of the party is behind him. When you look at the gap between him and Atiku Abubakar and the gap between him and the rest, that should tell you something that the one we have been talking about has become notable when it comes to Nigeria’s politics.
“Frankly, he has followership in the North-Central; followership in the South-West; followership in the South-South and followership in the South-East. So, I am not surprised that a lot of people are coming to Port Harcourt, and saying, ‘Governor, why not come fully into the campaigns?’ They need him in the PDP house, and I am glad that Governor Wike has said ‘I am not going anywhere’.”

Print Friendly, PDF & Email
Continue Reading

News

2023: Guber Candidate Faults INEC On APC, LP Placeholders 

Published

on

The governorship candidate of the Peoples Redemption Party (PRP) in Delta State, Engr Igbini Emmanuel, has said it is not out of place for presidential flagbearers to choose placeholders, especially as it conforms to the new Electoral Act that has been signed into law by President Muhammadu Buhari.
Recall that some presidential flagbearers picked vice Presidential candidates as placeholders, prompting reactions from cross sections of Nigerians.
Odefe said INEC erred by discrediting the candidates that picked placeholders in the build up to the general election in 2023.
He said, “As a political activist and a former three-time governorship candidate, I am compelled to react to the recent claim by Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC) through its National Commissioner, Barr. Festus Okoye, that there exists no place in Nigerian Constitution and Legal Framework for what is now described as “placeholders” in Nigeria’s electoral process specifically as it concerns submission, change or substitution of names of candidates for general elections by registered political parties.
“This claim by INEC is a fundamental falsehood deliberately made by it to mislead Nigerian voters and to cast aspersion on some political parties like APC and Labour Party which publicly disclosed that the names they submitted to INEC as their Vice Presidential Candidates were meant only to beat the June 17, 2022 date set by INEC but which they may change or substitute within the window provided by the sections 31 and 33 of the Electoral Act 2021, as amended to do so.
“Contrary to INEC’s claim, I wish to state unequivocally that actions taken by APC and LP are constitutional and in line with sections 29, 31 and 33 of the Electoral Act 2021, as amended. The use of the word, “Placeholder” is merely misinterpreted by INEC. “Placeholder” simply means that it is not substantive but temporarily standing in for something or someone else. The word is used in solving Algebraic Expression and Equations in Mathematics.
“Let me also inform Nigerians that this idea of changing or substituting candidates for general elections have been in our electoral laws of 2006, 2010 and now 2021, as amended.
“Furthermore, it is imperative for me to inform Nigerians that changing or substituting candidates for elections is not limited to only Vice Presidential Candidates as we now seem to focus on. In fact, all names so far submitted by Political Parties to INEC as Presidential, Vice Presidential, Senatorial, House of Representatives and House of Assembly Candidates are all “Placeholders” and can be changed or substituted before the 90 days to date of election, after which, no change or substitution is allowed except in case of death of a candidate.
“In conclusion, APC and LP have not acted against the Constitution and Electoral Act of Nigeria”.

Print Friendly, PDF & Email
Continue Reading

Trending