Anxiety, according to English Language companion dictionary, is the condition of being anxious; eagerness; concern; a cause of worry
Anxiety starts as pickle then creates a channel in our mind through which all our thoughts begin to flow. Most of our of our anxieties fall into three categories.
– Anxiety about things we all face: like aging, disability, retirement, loneliness, financial uncertainty, accidents, illness, losing a loved one, inevitable death.
– Anxiety about things we all must do : like making decision, starting and ending a relationship, losing weight, changing careers, making a mistake.
– Anxiety reflecting our inner state of mind : These anxiety how we feel about our ability to handle things, for example, fear of rejection can affect every relationship in your life. In order to avoid being hurt you shut others out, your world grow smaller and your opportunities for personal growth are more limited.
Many of our anxieties can be reduced to one question, what if I cant handle it? Your mind is the battle field where victory is won or lost. So ask yourself, ‘would I still be anxious if I know for certain I could handle anything that came up? The answer is know you can handle whatever happens. You say, sounds too simple. Not when you bring God into the picture! Here are two great anxiety eliminating scriptures you can stand on when times are tough Philippians 4:13 “I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me”, secondly Philippians 4:6-7 “Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds”.
We all face times when we must choose between faith and anxiety. A women rapped in an abusive relationship must choose between getting help getting out or staying struck. A young person being pressured to do drugs can choose to given in, or say, no and walk away. A person anxious about death can read God’s word, talk to a friend or counselor, or continue to be anxious.
The Bible says: “The righteous are as bold as a lion” (Proverbs 28:1) you say, ‘Right now I don’t feel too bold’ courage doesn’t eliminate anxiety, it rises above it, David said in (Psalm 27:14) ‘wait on the Lord be of good courage, and he shall strengthen your heart”. When your cause is right and you are committed to God, He gives you the courage needed t o act. But you must learn to face the things you fear.
This can mean standing up for what you believe, making a phone call you have been putting off, expressing your opinion, acknowledging some character flaw and asking God to help you change. What you must remember is, doing always comes before the feeling of increased confidence. Each time you confront your anxieties you take a step forward. But when you allow anxiety to control you, you retreat into your safe zone and start seeing yourself as somebody who can’t handle life. Here’s some great advice for living, analyse the situation fearlessly, figure out the worst that can happen. Once you have accepted that, you experience a release of energy and you can begin doing something about it, even if all you can do is leave it in the capable and loving hands of God.
John writes: I pray that — you may prosper and be in good health, just as your soul prospers (3 John 2) why did he say that? Because your physical body thrives in relationship to how well you are doing spiritually. Doctors say anxiety suppresses your immune system elevates your blood pressure and creates cholesterol that block your arteries. It creates the very condition you dread! Did you know that a percentage of all first year medical students assume the very symptoms of whatever disease they are studying? Some even faint when first exposed to them. Job said, The thing which I greatly fear comes upon me (Job 3:25). Anxiety is one of Satan’s most effective weapons. Your ignorance of his anxiety. Inducing schemes is what enables him to gain a foothold in your thinking and rob you of the blessings that are rightfully yours, including your health.
Are you anxious about your health? Write these criptures down and memorise it everyday 1. worship the lord your God and his blessing will be on your food and water. I will take away sickness from among you… I will give you a full life span (Exodus 23:25-26).
2. I will restore you to health and heal your wounds, declares the lord (Jeremiah 30:17).
3. Listen closely to my words, do not let them out of your sight, keep them within your heart; for they are life to those who find them and health to a man’s whole body (Proverb 4:20-22).
4. Therefore I tell you, whatever you ask for in prayer, believe that you have received it and it will be yours (Mark 11:24).
Are you feeling anxious today? Program your mind with these promises.
1. Be strong and courageous do not be afraid or dismay for your God is with you wherever you go Joshua 1:9
2. The Lord of host is with us; the God of Jacob is our refuge Psalm 49:11.
3. Cast all your cares upon him for he cares for you 1 Peter 5:7
4. Take therefore no thought for the tomorrow, for tomorrow shall take thought for the things of itself sufficient unto the days is the evil thereof Matthew 6:34
Anxiety can remove us from this promises God has given us, our prayer should be God help me to accept what I can’t change and give me the courage to change what I can.
God is still faithful and ready to carry our burdens only if we agree to release them to Him, Anxiety adds nothing to our life but rather destroys our emotions, health, psychology and spirit man. May God give us the grace to do away with every anxiety, for He has overcome the world.
Ibekwe wrote in from Anambra State University, Awka