A football pundit in Rivers State, Barrister Faye Dikio, has called on the football authorities to ensure that Nigeria engagae in Grade ‘A’ International friendly matches to enable them blend properly before the 2010 World Cup in South-Africa begins.
Dikio, who stated this recently in an exclusive interview with Tidesports in Port Harcourt, noted that Nigeria is yet to get a cohesive team, but has individual stars.
“I think it is about time the management of Super Eagles looked inward and ensure that the team is properly prepared by organizing some high profile friendly matches against notable football playing countries, and at the same time, inject some fresh bloods into the team to beef-up some weak areas in the team,” he said.
On his view of coach Shuaibu Amodu leading the Super Eagles to the 2010 World Cup, Dikio, who had earlier commended the team over her qualification, said he is not in spport of such an idea.
“I think Amodu is incept and should not even be given the chance to lead Eagles to the Nations’ Cup in Angola next year, not at talk of the World Cup in South Africa.
“In fact, I foresee a situation where Nigeria would be disgraced if Amodu with his low level of technical input, is allowed by the Nigeria Football Federation (NFF) to lead the Eagles to the Mundial in South Africa.
“Preferably, I would only advise Amodu, as a matter of fact, to go for refresher course and update his knowledge on the game before Eagles would be enthrusted to him for bigger competitions such as the World Cup,” he said.
It would be recalled that Amodu qualified the Eagles for Japan/Korea 2002 World Cup, but was replaced by Festus Onigbinde, who took the team to the Mundial which saw the Eagles clash out after the first round.
Mikel Donates Cash, Wheelchairs To Para – Soccer Teams
Former Super Eagles captain, John Obi Mikel has made a two million cash donation and five wheelchairs to two para-soccer teams in Lagos.
Mikel, who recently finished a talent hunt with his Back2Base project, extended his goodwill to the para-soccer teams who were wowed by the gesture of the Chelsea legend. The arrival of Mikel and his team led by Fadekemi Ahmed, CEO and Founder of Avianna & Harvey Entertainments at Ojo Street in the Obalende area of Lagos State, was greeted with wild jubilation as the fans jostled to catch a glimpse of one of Africa’s most-accomplished football stars.
After enjoying the thrilling encounter between the Oyingbo para-soccer team and their Lagos Island counterparts, Mikel rewarded each of the teams with N1m cash donation while he also gave three wheelchairs to the winning team and two to the losing side.
“This is a token to appreciate the unique talents they have and their resilience to be the best at what they do despite being physically challenged,” Mikel said.”I thoroughly enjoyed the game between the two teams and I am happy I can reciprocate by making the players smile also with the donations made.”
The two teams expressed profound gratitude to Mikel even as they described him as a shining example that should be emulated by others.
Basketball: Mixed Reactions Over Reversal Of International Ban
Following the decision by the Federal Government to reverse the two-year international ban placed on basketball, stakeholders have hailed the development while expressing concern over the inability to address the main issues affecting the sports in the country.
In a statement released last week and signed by the Permanent Secretary, Federal Ministry of Youth and Sports Development, Ismaila Abubakar, the decision to reverse the ban was based on the appeal from concerned stakeholders, former Nigerian international basketball players and well-meaning Nigerians.
Abubakar stated that the decision was also based on the fruitful meeting between FIBA and Minister of Youth and Sports Development, Sunday Dare which he said produced common understanding in certain general areas with a commitment from the world basketball ruling body to explore and collaborate on enhancing relationships.
In addition, the apology letter from the Nigeria Basketball Federation (NBBF) board singed by Musa Kida to the President and Minister over the embarrassment with a pledge to set up a team to reconcile all contending parties in the basketball family within and outside the country necessitated the reversal.
Gbadegesin Olatona, who is the coordinator of the Youth Alive Basketball Community League, believed the decision by the government is necessary to save the future of the athletes.
“I am happy that the ban has been reversed especially considering the career of most of the players both within and outside Nigeria,” he said.” This is good for them to see the need for them to aim to represent Nigeria in international competitions.
“However, the issues that prompted the ban are yet to be addressed especially in terms of the structure of the sport.”
grow the sport at home and this is why there are still struggles in football.
“ But I believe we should have taken a cue from this and allowed the sport to go beyond any individual with proper structure in place for the sport to stand on its own,” he added.
Similarly, Abimbola Faniran, who is the founder of the Akofa Foundation , supported Olatona while calling for the abnormality in the NBBF Constitution to be addressed.
He offered: “I am happy with the reversal but it is yet Uhuru for the sport as the contending issues that caused the ban is still not yet addressed.
“Particularly the abnormality in the NBBF Constitution which stated that the President and Vice President can be chosen by a few people.
“So these issues must not be swept under the carpet while all stakeholders in the sport must be assembled to forger way forward for the sport,” Faniran noted.
Ex-Footballers’ Plot Against NFF Gets Boost
Ex-Nigeria internationals and Players’ Union which has been clamouring for change in the administration of football in the country appears close to realising its goal as the signs of victory look evident, even before the elective congress of the Nigeria Football Federation billed for September, 2022.
It is aware that to attain the desired change in the administration of football in the country, the constitution of the board of the Nigeria Football Federation has to change.
To change the way the board is at present constituted, former players and other stakeholders went to court to halt the elective congress of the NFF, insisting that the NFF statute must be amended to allow for more and equitable representation of all stakeholders.
They eventually secured an interlocutory injunction from a High Court in Bayelsa State which stopped any further step towards holding the congress until the case before it was decided.
The move by the concerned stakeholders which resulted in a court injunction was almost turning into an irony as it provided an alibi for the NFF board. “They(board members) wanted to hide under the injunction, delay the congress and ultimately delay the election which is expected to usher in a new board,” a source revealed, adding that the board members held a zoom meeting and perfected their plan to stay put till February 2023.
“They wanted to go to Qatar 2022 FIFA World Cup and the 2023 Africa Cup of Nations in Ivory Coast in January next year. That is why they were indifferent to the court injunction that stopped the congress.”
Even more uncomfortable for the board was what one observer termed as “the insurgency” within the NFF structure which saw 28 state FA Chairmen, traditionally deemed to be lackeys to the board, revolt by passing a vote of no confidence in the NFF leadership.
“That was an additional headache to the NFF,” our source said under anonymity. More astonishing was the fact that the state FA chairmen signed the resolution by appending not only their signatures but had their passport pictures affixed to their names and signatures. This jolted the NFF leadership but they kept their plans under wraps as they had their plan to stay longer than their tenure.
The dissident FA Chairmen were having a field day as they insisted that a change was inevitable for Nigerian football to move forward.
Reading the mood of the NFF board members, the players’ association applied a master stroke when it petitioned the presidency, intimating the President of the discrete disposition of the NFF towards the September election.
Last week, President Muhammadu Buhari, through the Ministry of Youth and Sports Development reacted to the petition with a directive to the NFF to ensure that they don’t flout their own statutes and advised that the September election is held as scheduled.
“Their plan to hang on was bursted by President Buhari’s directive that they hold elections,” our source said, adding that “the court order under which they were hiding under will be vacated soon. I wonder where they will run to now.”
Apart from ensuring that the election is held, the President also directed that the NFF Statutes must be amended to accommodate other real football stakeholders who was either under represented or were not represented at all on the board.
We gathered that with President Buhari’s directive, the NFF has now been thrown off balance while the stakeholders will now have a say in football matters and be part of what happens next.
“For instance, they have reached an agreement that certain conditions must be respected before the elective congress. In legal terms it is called consent judgment,” our source said, even as he would not reveal the conditions although we gathered that it is about constitution of the board.
Given the new twist in the election saga, a member of the ex-footballers union, Harrison Jallah has confirmed that the process to vacate the court injunction was underway.
He said, “We are working on getting that order suspended or discontinued with completely, pending when the congress is held and the amendments we asked for are done. When we achieve that, then we can proceed to the elections. That is the position for now.”
Jallah continued, “There is a compromise now that we go and get the case out of the court which we are preparing to do now. We are looking at the whole of next week and I believe by the end of next week we will be through with that procedure.”
He further informed us what their petition to the presidency contained. “We informed that under the present statutes every member has equal status in the assembly but a particular member twerked the statute to suit his interest. For instance, there are 44 members in the congress and when you have 37 FA Chairmen, in every election they will have a majority. As I speak to you, they are 11 on the board out of 15 members. The other 4 are taken by the clubs that represent the leagues.”
Government’s subtle moves, we gathered were deliberate in order not to be seen as interfering in the internal affairs of the football governing. This, Jallah concurred. “All the government has done is simply telling football stakeholders, ‘no, we don’t want this under representation in the assembly to continue and the football family to go and resolve your differences. But in all you do, the September date for the election remains sacrosanct.”
Business4 days ago
Nigerians Collect 3m Passports From 2019-2022 – Aregbesola
Business4 days ago
Buhari Seeks UK, EU Countries’ Partnership On Green Energy Policy
Business4 days ago
States Lose N19bn Oil, Gas Revenues In 2022 – World Bank
Business4 days ago
NDLEA, NAGAFF Collaborate Against Illicit Drug Importation
Sports4 days ago
Nigeria Others Battle For Relay Tickets In Benin
Politics4 days ago
What Wike Brings To The Party
Politics4 days ago
Senate Wades Into CJN, S’Court Justices’ Feud
Politics4 days ago
2023: Utomi Calls For Mass Citizens’ Action