News
Military Kills 15 Insurgents, Arrest 20 …As Army Presents Posthumous Cheques To 62 Fallen Heroes
Fifteen Boko Haram fighters were killed and 20 others arrested by the Nigerien Defense and Security Forces (FDS) during clashes that occurred between June 18 to 23 in Niger’s Diffa region near the Nigerian border.
A Nigerian Security Official said that following the attack carried out on June 17 in Niger’s Gueskerou commune by the Islamist sect, killing 38 civilians, FDS launched ground and air operations in the area.
The spokesman for Niger’s Defense Ministry, Moustapha Ledru, said 15 terrorists had been killed, 20 others arrested, one armoured vehicle recovered and 20 motorcycles destroyed during the operation.
No injuries were reported on the part of the army, the statement by the defense ministry’s spokesman said.
The statement quoted Niger’s National Defense Minister, Karidjo Mahamadou, as hailing the FDS for the brilliant operation against the terrorists, and encouraged them to continue with the fight to restore peace and security.
For over three months, Niger, just like other countries in the Lake Chad Basin, has come under deadly attacks from Boko Haram, leaving tens of civilians and soldiers dead.
Nigerien and Chadian forces are currently engaged in a large scale operation against Boko Haram sect to secure Lake Chad basin and stop further attacks in Nigerien regions of Diffa and Bosso.
Meanwhile, the Nigerian Army has presented cheques to next of kins of 62 officers and soldiers who lost their lives in operation ZAMAM LAFIYA in the North-East.
The Chief of Administration Army, Maj.-Gen Adamu Abubakar, who presented the cheques in Abuja yesterday, said the cheques were provided by the Office of the National Security Adviser.
Abubakar said the cheques were part of palliatives put in place to cushion the effect of the immediate families of the fallen heroes.
He said “it is not the cheques that is part of the statutory payment; it is just a relief for the family of our fallen heroes in the North-East.
“I must reiterate that the affected families should try as much as possible to start processing of the benefits of their breadwinners early; so that we can make prompt payment.
“After this, you still have a lot to collect; you have the group life assurance claim, benevolent fund, Nigerian Army Welfare Insurance Scheme and the gratuity of the soldier.
“And the last one will be the sponsorship of children that are below the age of 18 from nursery school up to the university; which the Nigeria Army will take responsibility of.
One of the beneficiaries, Mrs Esther Odigie, said she was grateful for the gesture as the amount given to them would go a long way to help the family.
Mrs Helen Makwusuba thanked the army for the gesture, adding that the money would assist her in taking care of the children.