Sports
Obi May Not Play For Nigeria …2012 Olympics Qualifiers
The national under-23 men
football
team is not likely to have the services of Inter Milan midfielder Joel Obi at
the upcoming 2012 Olympics qualifiers, a team official has disclosed.
Team head coach Austin Eguavoen, who
disclosed this on Tuesday in Abuja, however said he was sure about the
availability of five other foreign-based players.
The Tidesports gathered reports that the
team also known as the Dream Team V is to play at the qualifiers dubbed the CAF
U-23 Championship.
The eight-nation championship is scheduled
for Morocco, from November 26 to December 10, 2011, with the top three sides
qualifying automatically for the Olympic Games in London.
“Obi won’t be available because his club’s
Technical Director discussed with me at length about their situation.
“However, while I can take the risk of
putting him in the team, it is certain that he will not be available for us in
the first one or two games which are important for us,” Eguavoen said.
The coach said the situation could only get
better if Inter’s position in both the UEFA Champions League and the Serie A
improves.
“If Inter qualifies on time, then they will
let him come but if they are struggling to qualify, then they won’t let him
come.
“But I can understand and see reasons with
them because this is the first time in many years that the club has found
itself in the lower side of their league table. So, we must understand.
“So, to me, he can either be included on
our final list or we can completely forget about him.
“While it’s not that we can’t do without
him, but it is also a fact that if we have him it’s going to be a plus for us,”
he said.
Tidesports reports that the Dream Team V
are in Group A of the championship, alongside Morocco, Algeria and Senegal,
with their opening game on Nov. 26 against the hosts.
Eguavoen who just returned from a trip to
four European countries to discuss the release of players for the team with the
players’ clubs was however optimistic on other players.
“Obiora Nwankwo, Ahmed Musa, Nnamdi
Oduamadi, Uchebo Okechukwu and Ekigho Ehiosun, are expected while Rabiu Ibrahim
is outrightly out because his club gave us their own reasons and we have to
respect that,” he said.
Eguavoen who said he was still optimistic
his team has a very bright chance of doing well in Morocco said his visit to
the European clubs was not a wasted trip.
“The need to sit across the table with the
clubs’ Technical Directors and coaches is very important. It’s not something
you do over the phone.
“Some may see it in either a positive or
negative way, but it was very necessary because we couldn’t have risked sending
e-mails or any other thing which would have made our request to be dropped in
the trash can,” he said.
On whether the Dream Team V had missed some
quality time of preparation while he was away, Eguavoen said his team had
missed nothing.
“If you look at it, we have the assistants,
who are the technical hands who handled this team when I was away. Moreover, it
was just about seven days. I don’t think we’ve lost anything.
“The coach has to be very proactive when
taking decisions such as this. The problem we have had were the dates of
availability.
“This is because we wanted them to come
earlier while some of the clubs are busy with the Champions League and some
other league competitions.
“Now all we have to do is to put our
preparations in shape by sending on time the letters for these players to be
released,” he said.
Sports
Amusan places third in Diamond League opener
The Nigerian, who arrived in China fresh from winning gold at the African Senior Athletics Championships in Ghana earlier on Wednesday, clocked a season’s best of 12.41s behind Olympic champion Masai Russell and Bahamian star Devynne Charlton.
Russell produced a dominant display to win the race in a meeting record and world-leading time of 12.25s, improving on her previous world lead of 12.40s.
Charlton, the reigning world indoor champion, finished second in 12.38s in one of her strongest outdoor performances to date.
Amusan, whose world record of 12.12s remains the fastest time ever run in the event, improved significantly from her previous season’s best of 12.84s set during her victorious outing at the African Championships in Accra.
The 29-year-old was competing in a stacked field that included reigning world champion Ditaji Kambundji of Switzerland, Jamaican pair Megan Simmonds and Ackera Nugent, China’s Wu Yanni and Americans Tonea Marshall and Danielle Williams.
Kambundji, who won the world title in Tokyo last year with a Swiss record 12.24s, finished fifth in 12.82s, while Jamaica’s Nugent placed sixth in 12.98s.
Marshall and Williams failed to finish the race.
Following Amusan’s victory in Accra, the three-time Diamond League final winner expressed gratitude to her supporters while insisting she remained determined to achieve more success this season.
“Beyond grateful to God, my team, supporters, and everyone who continues to believe in me through every season. Historic feeling. Still hungry for more. The mission continues,”
Sports
Falcons To Tackle Senegal in Pre-WAFCON friendly
The 10-time African champions are scheduled to take on the Teranga Lionesses on June 5 and 8 at the Remo Stars Stadium in Ikenne, Ogun State, in what will form a key part of their build-up to July’s continental tournament.
The fixtures were confirmed on social media platform X by Super Falcons Show, which announced the details of the encounter and venue.
“Nigeria’s senior women’s national team, the Super Falcons, will take on Senegal Women’s National Team in a double-header international friendly scheduled for June 5 and 8,” the post read.
“Both matches will be played in Ikenne, Nigeria.”
The friendlies come after Nigeria’s proposed training tour of the United Kingdom, which included a planned match against Jamaica, was cancelled due to scheduling complications linked to FIFA’s official women’s international window. The timing meant clubs would not have been obliged to release players.
With that tour shelved, the Senegal fixtures now offer a timely opportunity for coach Justine Madugu and his technical team to assess squad options, test tactical systems and strengthen team cohesion ahead of the WAFCON campaign and longer-term qualification targets for the 2027 FIFA Women’s World Cup in Brazil.
Senegal are expected to provide a competitive regional test, with their physical style and disciplined organisation likely to offer Nigeria a different tactical challenge across both matches.
The Super Falcons, who have dominated African women’s football for decades, will be aiming to use the double-header to fine-tune preparations as they pursue another continental title in Morocco next year.
Sports
Okpekpe Road Race Unveils Partners, Appoints Dr. Bojuwoye
Dr Bojuwoye, a seasoned medical professional with extensive experience in road running events across Nigeria, is expected to bring added value to the race through his expertise.
As medical director, his responsibilities will include overseeing emergency medical response, coordinating first aid stations along the course, ensuring athlete safety, and supervising medical volunteers and paramedics.
His role is critical in safeguarding the health of both elite and recreational runners, as well as spectators.
In addition to unveiling its new medical director, the organisers also announced five corporate partners for the 2026 edition.
The Development Bank of Nigeria (DBN), Petralon Energy, Razzl Drink, Dan Oil, and Carloha Motors have joined as sponsors, reflecting the race’s growing appeal across diverse sectors of the Nigerian economy.
The Okpekpe race, organised by Pamodzi Sports Marketing Company, has steadily risen in prominence since becoming the first road race in Nigeria to earn World Athletics label status in 2015.
It has since advanced to Gold Label Race status, attracting elite athletes from around the world and cementing its reputation as one of Africa’s benchmark road-running competitions.
Edo State, under the leadership of Governor Monday Okpebolo, has reaffirmed its commitment to supporting the race, citing its role in promoting tourism, community pride, and international recognition for the region.
Race Director Zack Amodu noted that the new partnerships underscore the event’s stature and its impact beyond sport.
We are delighted to welcome DBN, Petralon, Razzl, and Carloha Motors as partners for the 11th edition. Their support, alongside the backing of Edo State, not only strengthens the race but also reinforces its role as a platform for promoting excellence, youth empowerment, and community development,’ Amodu said.
Beyond its sporting significance, the Okpekpe International 10km Road Race has become a catalyst for social, health, and economic benefits.
It encourages fitness and healthy lifestyles, fosters social cohesion by bringing communities together, and generates economic activity through tourism, hospitality, and local commerce.
The event also showcases Edo State’s cultural vibrancy while contributing to Nigeria’s growing reputation in global athletics.
The 11th edition is expected to draw elite athletes, local participants, and international attention, further consolidating Nigeria’s place on the global athletics calendar.
