Featured
Why PDP Extended CTC’s Tenure …Holds Inaugural NEC Meeting
The Peoples Democratic Party (PDP), has explained that the need to avoid leadership vacuum after security agencies shamelessly botched the scheduled elective National convention in Port Harcourt was one of the potent reasons for the extension of the tenure of the Senator Ahmed Makarfi-led National Caretaker Committee of the party by 12 months.
The party also emphasised that delegates decided to extend the tenure of the caretaker committee by 12 months to enable the conclusion of all the litigations in courts, reconciliation efforts as well as restore peace to the party before the next convention in 2017.
The Tide reports that the August 17, 2016, National Convention, which held at the state PDP Secretariat on Aba Road in Port Harcourt unanimously approved the extension of the tenure of the National Caretaker Committee by 12 months, while also increasing its membership to 13.
Moving the motion for the extension of the tenure of the caretaker committee, Deputy Senate President, Ike Ekweremadu, said it was important to avoid leadership vacuum and allow room for the resolution of all outstanding cases in courts.
Seconding the motion, the former Minister of Women Affairs, Hajia Zainab Maina, said the prevailing circumstances impose a burden on the party to resolve its differences, and fashion out how best to prepare for the 2019 general elections, which the PDP must win, to restore confidence in the country’s democracy.
The Chairman of the National Convention Planning Committee, and Governor of Rivers State, Chief Nyesom Wike, however, put the question for the extension of the lifespan of the committee to members, who through a unanimous voice vote, approved the motion.
The convention further expanded the membership of the National Caretaker Committee to 13, and also restated its resolve that no member of the current National Caretaker Committee should contest elections into the National Working Committee (NWC) whenever it is held.
The Tide reports that delegates at the National Convention had earlier adopted a motion moved by the House Minority Leader, Rep Leo Ogor, to amend the agenda of the National Convention and step down the issue of election into various positions in the NWC.
The National Convention of the PDP took place at the Secretariat of the PDP in Rivers State along Aba Road after the Inspector General of Police, Ibrahim Idris, had deployed security agencies to take over the Sharks Stadium in Port Harcourt, where the event was billed to take place.
The Force Public Relations Officer, Mr. Donald Awunah, explained that officers and men of the police were deployed to take over the venue of the convention as early as 4am on Wednesday to avert anarchy and break down of law and order.
Awunah said the primary responsibility of the police was to protect life and prevent crisis, and added that due to the tension and the conflicting rulings by courts of coordinate jurisdiction on the National Convention, the police thought it best to seal off the venue.
According to him, “the warring parties need to follow due process to end their crisis through the courts, and as a law enforcement agency, what do you do? You ensure that there is a superior court order. It is not about taking sides.
“If in the next one hour or two, we get another court order, we will take action. We are there for every Nigerian but when you are the first responder, you have to take action, you have to be proactive.”
It would be recalled that the Rivers State Police command had later on Tuesday, issued a statement, signed by the Police Public Relations Officer, Omoni Nnamdi, confirming the readiness of officers and men of the command to provide adequate security and protect delegates to the convention in line with the order of a Federal High Court in Port Harcourt, last week.
However, following the twist of events, party leaders in separate goodwill messages at the National Convention, condemned the Federal Government for entrenching political impunity, arguing that it was a huge threat to the country’s democracy.
In his acceptance speech, Chairman of the PDP National Caretaker Committee, Senator Ahmed Makarfi, assured that the committee will continue to forge ahead with efforts to reposition the party for future political contests.
He condemned the invasion of the earlier venue of the National Convention, pointing out that it was undemocratic for the security agencies to take such action illegally.
Also speaking, Chairman of the National Convention Planning Committee, Chief Nyesom Wike, stated that the PDP will always survive all obstacles because the people are showing love and support for the party.
The Deputy Senate President, Senator Ike Ekweremadu also said the suffering in the country has forced the people to begin to crave for the PDP to return.
Former Jigawa State Governor, Alhaji Sule Lamido, added that the PDP was the choice of all Nigerians because it was a democratic and inclusive party.
Other leaders, who condemned the action of the security agencies during the National Convention, include the Senate Minority Leader, Godswill Akpabio, Ondo State Governor, Dr Olusegun Mimiko and former Minister of External Affairs, Chief Tom Ikimi.
A delegate from Anambra State, Chief Ugochukwu Okeke, said the decision was a step in the right direction aimed at moving the party forward.
“We will continue to explore all avenues to bring peace to the PDP, and remain a very viable opposition,” he said.
Another delegate, Mr Obi Kachi, said that the party decided to relocate to its secretariat on Aba Road for a non-elective convention because it respects the rule of law and abides by its constitution.
“We support the tenure extension because it is a good decision taken by our members to keep the party going,” he said.
Meanwhile, the Senator representing Bayelsa East Senatorial District, Ben Murray-Bruce, has said that the only way to achieve peace in the PDP is through dialogue.
Murray-Bruce, therefore, urged the Senator Ahmed Makarfi and the Ali Modu Sheriff-led factions to show maturity and initiate dialogue in the interest of the party.
Justice Okon Abang of a Federal High Court, Abuja had ordered the stoppage of the Convention while another Federal High Court in Port Harcourt gave a nod to the National Convention.
While the Makarfi-led faction had Tuesday approached the Appeal Court to give vent to its course, the Sheriff-led faction called on the Chief Justice of Federation to intervene in the rulings.
Meanwhile, the National Caretaker Chairman of the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP), Senator Ahmed Makarfi has inaugurated the National Executive Committee (NEC), with a tacit charge on members to work towards peaceful reconciliation and build a formidable party capable of wresting power from the All Progressives Congress (APC) in 2019.
Performing the inauguration at the Government House, Port Harcourt, on Wednesday, Makarfi said that the National Executive Committee include the PDP governors, National Assembly Caucus, Board of Trustees, National Caucus, 36 state PDP chairmen and the 13-member national officers of the party.
He said that in the absence of the elected national officers, the National Caretaker Committee members will be part of NEC.
Makarfi further said that the National Caretaker Committee members would cease to be NEC members once national officers have been elected at a National Convention.
At the meeting were PDP governors, members of National Assembly Caucus, Board of Trustees, National Caucus, 36 state PDP chairmen, and National Caretaker Committee members of the party.
The meeting later went into a closed door session, and journalists were not allowed to observe the proceedings.
Featured
WASSCE: RSG Distributes Science Materials To Secondary Schools
The Rivers State Government has distributed science equipment and materials to all senior secondary schools across the state to support students during the ongoing West African Examinations Council exams and to strengthen practical learning.
Flagging off the distribution at the Rivers State Senior Secondary Schools Board premises in Port Harcourt, on Monday, the State Commissioner for Education, Dr. Peters Nwagor, said the move demonstrates Governor Siminalayi Fubara’s commitment to improving education standards in the State.
Nwagor said the materials were approved and provided by the state government specifically to boost the teaching and learning of science subjects, describing science education as the foundation for technological advancement, innovation, and national development.
“No society can compete globally without deliberate investment in science and technology,” the Commissioner stated.
He commended the governor for consistently prioritising the education sector by providing tools needed for effective teaching and hands-on learning.
The Commissioner directed principals to ensure that the equipment are used strictly for practical lessons in their schools, warning that any principal or administrator found diverting, hoarding, or selling the materials wil face disciplinary action under public service regulations.
Nwagor also warned against examination malpractice, saying any principal found aiding or encouraging malpractices will be decisively sanctioned.
“We must collectively restore the dignity and credibility of our educational system,” he said.
Also speaking, Chairman, Rivers State Senior Secondary Schools Board, Tony Egwurugwu, urged school heads to make judicious use of the materials for students’ benefit.
He thanked the State Government for providing the resources, and assured that monitoring mechanisms would be put in place to ensure the materials serve their intended purpose.
In his own remarks, a Board Member for Technical Education, Nwisabari Bani Samuel, expressed appreciation to the governor for prioritising education and acknowledged the Commissioner’s role in advancing education development in the State.
He said the distribution covers all senior secondary schools in the State and is intended to improve students’ performance in both internal and external science examinations.
Akujobi Amadi
Featured
Fubara Hails Workers’ Resilience, Dedication In Rivers …Hails Tinubu’s Economic Reform
Rivers State Governor, Sir Siminalayi Fubara, has commended workers in the State for their resilience, dedication, and invaluable contributions to development in the State.
Fubara gave the commendation during the 2026 Workers’ Day celebration at Isaac Boro Park in Port Harcourt, last Friday.
Represented by his deputy, Prof. Ngozi Nma Odu, the governor noted that Workers’ Day, which originated from the struggle for an eight-hour workday in the United States, has evolved into a global event recognising the contributions of workers to national growth and development.
He described workers as the backbone of sustainable development, saying no society can thrive without their efforts.
Fubara commended Rivers workers for their loyalty and commitment to service, noting that workers play vital roles across key sectors, including education, healthcare, infrastructure and industry.
He noted that their contributions have enhanced access to quality education and healthcare, supported job creation, and stimulated economic activities across the State.
While acknowledging the economic challenges faced by many workers, including the rising cost of living, Fubara assured that the the State Government remains committed to implementing policies that will enhance workers’ welfare and overall well-being.
The governor also hailed the bold and daring economic reforms of President Bola Tinubu which, he said, have stabilized the economy, enhanced foreign exchange liquidity, lowered inflation, and achieved significant growth in the nation’s gross domestic product.
He noted that, in addition to raising the minimum wage, the President recently approved new welfare incentives for federal civil servants.
“Our economy is on an unstoppable positive path under our President, and it can only improve further for the nation and everyone. Let us continue supporting the policies and programmes of Mr President,” he said.
Fubara highlighted the importance of workers in revenue generation and governance, noting that taxes paid by workers enable government to provide security and essential social services.
He reaffirmed the State Government’s recognition of labour as a critical partner in achieving its development blueprint, appreciating workers’ daily contributions to building a peaceful, secure, and prosperous Rivers State.
The governor urged the organised labour to use the occasion to reaffirm its commitment to the progress of the State, while continuing to advocate for democracy, social justice, and improved welfare for workers.
He also expressed gratitude to workers for their service to the State and the nation, encouraging them to remain steadfast in their contributions to development.
In his address, the State Chairman of the Nigeria Labour Congress, Comrade Alex Agwanwor, commended Fubara for his steadfastness, genuine commitment, and passion for workers in the State.
He highlighted key achievements of the administration, including the implementation of the National Minimum Wage Act, the renovation of the State Secretariat, the reopening of the Rivers State Transport Company (RTC), and the consistent payment of end-of-year bonuses to public workers.
Comrade Agwanwor noted that workers, as drivers of productivity, understand the challenges involved in building a prosperous Rivers State, stressing that they are well-equipped to contribute meaningfully to the growth and development of the State.
“We have resolved not to continue complaining and lamenting while challenges persist. Instead, we must take the initiative, step out of relative obscurity, and rediscover the mission and destiny of our dear state,” he said.
Featured
Fubara Pledges Support For Corporate Organisations In Rivers …Says PPP Business Model Responsible For NLNG’s Success
Rivers State Governor, Sir Siminalayi Fubara, has pledged the continued support of his administration for the Nigeria Liquified Natural Gas (NLNG) Limited.
Fubara gave the assurance while receiving the new Managing Director and Chief Executive Officer of the NLNG, Mr Adeleye Falade, who paid him a courtesy visit at Government House, Port Harcourt.
He assured that his administration would continue to contribute its own quota in support of the NLNG.
According to him, the success of the organisation is equally the success of the government of Rivers State and the success of the Federal Government.
“Our duty is to make sure that we support whoever is operating in our state. We are the ones here. If we don’t support you and you don’t succeed, we also will not succeed and Mr President will also not succeed.
“So, the success of your establishment is the success of our state, and overall success of Nigeria. So you can count on our support. Wherever you think we need to come in to support you, please do not hesitate to call upon us.
“You just mentioned here that your predecessor left a handover note showcasing the level of support that he got from the state. It is not going to be different in your own case. I can assure you that. I will also ensure that other units of the government will liaise with you when necessary. So even if you can’t get to me, you can always get to them and if there is anything we can do to help your establishment succeed, we will do it for you,” he said.
The governor attributed the success of the NLNG to the Public Private Partnership ( PPP) business model adopted by the Federal Government and the multinational oil companies.
The NLNG is jointly owned by Nigerian National Petroleum Corporation (NNPC) with 49%, Shell Gas B.V. with 25.6%, Total LNG Nigeria Ltd with 15%, and Eni International with 10.4%.
The partnership model allows for shared risks, costs, and expertise in the LNG sector.
The governor noted that the NLNG has not only survived the difficult business environment but has made sustained progress in the nearly three decades of its existence.
According to him, the decision of the Federal Government to allow the multinational oil companies who have the needed expertise to run the establishment while government plays a supervisory role over it has largely been responsible for its success.
“I’m very proud to say that if there is one establishment that has shown resilience, that has survived in the face of all the political issues prevalent in this country, it is the NLNG. And what is the reason? The reason is very simple. Government has no business in business. That is the truth. Leave the business for those people who can operate it. Let the government play its supervisory role to ensure that there is compliance with the laws; ensure that standards are maintained and also ensure that the right people with the needed expertise are at the helm of affairs. That’s all. I think that is the reason why we still record a lot of successes in NLNG,” he said.
In his opening remark, the new NLNG boss, Mr Adeleye Falade, who led other top officials of the company on the visit, expressed appreciation to the governor for granting them audience, and appealed to the State Government to continue to support the organisation.
“We appreciate the opportunity to meet with you and deepen this important relationship.We deeply value the support the Rivers State Government continues to extend in fostering an enabling operating environment for businesses. NLNG remains deliberate in its contribution to Nigeria’s development, and Rivers State, our primary host, continues to be central to that commitment,” he said.
Falade said the company has continued to work with its host communities to strengthen their capacity to identify, prioritise, and deliver sustainable development initiatives that create lasting impact.
According to him, communities including Amadi-ama, Abua, Ekpeye, Okrika, Kalabari, and Emohua have continued to benefit from this model.
He said that beyond community infrastructure, the NLNG has sustained investments in economic empowerment through initiatives such as Vocational Innovation and Business Empowerment Scheme (VIBES) and Micro Small and Medium Enterprise (MSME) schemes.
These, he said, were designed to support small businesses, build capacity, and stimulate local enterprise across the state.
Among officials of the company who accompanied the Managing Director were General Manager, External Relations and Sustainable Development, Dr Sophia Horsfall; Manager, Government Relations, Mr Abdul Umar; Manager, Community Relations, Dr. Yemi Adeyemi; Head of Government Relations, Mr Mike Igoni; Head of Community Liaison and Engagement, Chief Ifeanyi Umeh.
Others are Technical Assistant to Executive Leadership, Mr Hassan Saleh; Senior Media and Publicity Advisor, Mr Emma Nwatu; Government Relations Advisor, Miss Homa Nmegbu; Senior Government Relations Advisor, Mrs Kate Allison, and Audio -Visual Advisor, Mr Dawood Ahmed.
-
Editorial20 hours agoEnough Of Xenophobic Attacks On Nigerians
-
Nation19 hours agoRSU, Otonti Nduka Foundation Hold Centenary Conference, Unveil Book on Values in Nigeria
-
Oil & Energy19 hours agoRivers PETROAN Elects 12-Member Executive
-
Environment21 hours agoMOSOP – Tinubu Not Sincere With Ogoni People For Oil Resumption
-
News1 day agoFubara, Wife Hail Tinubu’s Renewed Hope Initiative …As Over 6,800 Families Benefit From Largesse In Rivers
-
Politics21 hours ago
APC Group Protests Ex–Presidential Aspirant’s Disqualification From Rivers Senatorial Race
-
Maritime22 hours agoProducts, Others, To Arrive Lagos Ports Today — MPA
-
Politics21 hours ago
Reps Speaker Secures APC Return Ticket For Fifth Term
