Front Pix
Buhari Is Fighting Insurgency With Arms I Bought -Jonathan …As EFCC Detains Ex-Air Force Chief
Former President Goodluck Jonathan, said President Muhhamadu Buhari administration’s is prosecuting the war against the Boko Haram insurgency with the arms his administration procured.
Insisting that he laid a solid foundation for terrorism to be defeated, Jonathan expressed hope that very soon, the new government would defeat the insurgency.
Jonathan, who spoke in an interview with France 24, said the insurgency caught the country unawares but noted that his government laid a solid foundation for terrorism to be defeated.
His words: “The new government is working hard and I believe they are still using the equipment we procured. Though the budget is still being debated, no new equipment has been bought, so even those equipment the president is using to prosecute the war against Boko Haram are those equipment we procured.
“When Boko Haram started in Nigeria, we had no terror experience. Yes, we had armed robbery and other common crimes, but terrorism was different because the people involved were not afraid to die. So, you need a different mechanism to confront terrorism, you need superior technology to be able to stop them even before the attack.
“We never had the equipment, but when we were confronted, we started acquiring and before I left office we built reasonable capacity and I believe with what we left behind and also with what the new government will acquire, they will be able to prosecute this terror war to a reasonable conclusion.”
Meanwhile, the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC) has detained the immediate past Chief of the Air Staff, Air Marshal Adesola Amosu.
Amosu was detained as he honored EFCC invitation on Wednesday.
A senior operative with the commission told Vanguard that Amosu had been helping the agency in the investigation into the procurement of arms for the armed forces between 2007 and 2015 .
The NAF under Amosu is alleged to have admitted receiving non-existent ammunition and aircraft, a development which a presidential panel frowned at.
A source in EFCC confirmed that Amosu was invited on Wednesday over the amount which was allegedly used under his leadership for arms procurement worth N29 billion.
He is said to have made a statement under caution to the EFCC operatives but was not allowed to go home, an indication that they were not satisfied with his statement.
President Muhammadu Buhari ordered the probe of arms procurement and the panel has returned a damning verdict indicting top military and political actors who are being tried in court.
Many other top military officers named in the arms scam have had their property sealed as a first step towards confiscating them.
Rivers State Governor, Chief Nyesom Wike (right), with Acting National Chairman of PDP, Prince Uche Secondus (2nd left) and Secretary of the Board of Trustees of PDP, Senator Jubril Wahlid, during a congratulatory visit to Governor Wike at the Government House, Port Harcourt, yesterday.