Front Pix
FG Predicts Heavy Rains In 22 States …Names Agwai As SURE-P Deputy Director
The Federal Ministry of Environment said it predicted a downpour, which might cause flooding between now and June 14 in 22 states.
The prediction is contained in a report issued yesterday in Abuja by Mr Ekong Ekanem, the Deputy Director (Erosion, Flood and Coastal Zone Management) of the ministry.
Ekanem identified some areas that could be affected to include Anka, Bungudu, Kaura-Namoda, Maru, Maradun and Gusau in Zamfara and Kaita, Jibia, Daura and Bundawa in Katsina State.
Other areas include Mutum-Biyu, Lau, Jalingo, Donga and Beli in Taraba, Minna and its environs in Niger and Bama, Biu and Briyel in Borno.
Ekanem also listed Azare, Bajoga, Bauchi, Darazo, Jamaare, Itas, Kari, Kirfi, Misau and Tafawa Balewa in Bauchi state and Aiyete, Apata, Eleyele, Eruwa, Challenge, Iwere-Ile, Moniya, Bodija, Odo-ona,Ojoo, Oyo and Ogbomoso in Oyo state.
The remaining areas are Yorro, Yola, Song, Serti, Numan, Mubi, Mayo-Belwa, Jimeta, Gainye and Demsa in Adamawa and Ilorin in Kwara.
Ekanem said that Nafada and Gombe in Gombe state and Gada, Goronyo, Isa, Silame, Shinkafi, Sokoto and Wamakko in Sokoto state might also be affected.
He also said that Ede, Igbo-Ora, Ilesa and Osogbo in Osun and Lokoja, Kabba and Oguma in Kogi could be affected.
Similarly, other areas that could be affected include Bokkos, Bukuru, Jos, Mangu, Shendam and Shelleng in Plateau, as well as Abeokuta, Ilaro, Ipokia and Otan-Ayegbaju in Ogun.
The ministry also listed Dutse and Gwaram in Jigawa, Kunchi in Kano, Ijero, Ado-Ekiti and Aiyetoro in Ekiti, Damaturu, Putiskum in Yobe, Wamba and Lafia in Nasarawa State and Akure, Iju-Itaogbolu, Ikare, Owena, Ondo and Ogbese in Ondo state.
Ekanem appealed to the governments of the identified states to take necessary measures to avoid flood disasters, adding that similar warnings in the past had saved people’s lives and property.
He said that the ministry had been receiving verbal reports from some state governments on how the forecasts had been helping them to initiate proactive measures to prevent loss of lives and property.
Ekanem also said that alert had been sent to some areas likely to experience windstorm during the season.
Meanwhile, President Goodluck Jonathan has approved the appointment of retired Gen. Martin Luther Agwai as Deputy Chairman of the Subsidy Reinvestment and Empowerment Programme (SURE-P).
This is contained in a statement issued yesterday in Abuja by Dr Reuben Abati, the Special Adviser to the President on Media and Publicity,
The statement said Agwai, former Chief of Defence Staff and Chief of Army Staff, replaced retired Maj.-Gen. Mamman Kontagora, who passed away last week.
The statement described Agwai as a highly decorated general who also held several other military appointments within and outside the country.
He served as Deputy Force Commander of the UN Mission in Sierra Leone and Force Commander of the AU Mission in Sudan, and had been a member of the SURE-P Committee since its establishment in February 2012.
The committee is charged with managing and re-investing the Federal Government’s share of savings from the partial removal of subsidy on fuel.
The investments are in programmes and initiatives that will improve the living conditions of ordinary Nigerians.
Rivers State Commissioner for Social Welfare and Rehabilitation, Hon Joe Poroma (left), with Deputy Commissioner of Police, Operation, Mr Habila Joshak (middle) and Rivers State Co-ordinator, National Youth Service Corps, Mrs Josephine Oknghae, during the passing out of Batch B members at Isaac Boro Park, Port Harcourt, yesterday