Politics
Bayelsans Vote ’Morrow …Sylva’s Fate Hangs Till April
The people of Bayelsa State will tomorrow (Saturday) go to the polls to elect the next governor of the state as supreme court Adjourns Appeal suit by the former governor Timipre Sylva till April.
The election which will hold in all the words and local government areas of the state will determined who becomes the third civilian governor of the state.
Politicians from the state who spoke with The Tide on Wednesday said the electorates have the option to choose between good and bad as they filed in tomorrow to elect the next leader of the state.
Many in the state believed that after the reign and exit of Chief Diepreye Solomon Alamiesigha and Dr Goodluck Jonathan, the state has not move ahead.
The coordinator of the Peoples Power Partnership (PPP) a grassroot network working for one of the party candidate, Prince Carispus Amarabha said the people will vote a governor that will be in partnership with the people.
Amarabha who spoke with The Tide on telephone, said the people will vote a candidate that would build a society of peace through inculcating peace in the school curriculum.
Many believed that the Peoples Democratic Party will still win the election in the state.
Meanwhile, The Supreme Court of Nigeria will next April decide whether or not former governor of Bayelsa State, Chief Timipre Sylva has a place in a governorship election that would have been concluded one month earlier.
The court on Wednesday adjourned the case for further hearing after listening to the submission of the lawyers.
With the adjournment, Mr Sylvia’s candidacy has been effectively and permanently shut down for the main time.
Supporters of the former governor, believed that 2012 has not been a good year for Chief Timipre Sylva who became governor, after late Musa Yar’Adua had picked, Dr Jonathan as his running mate.
On January 27, Sylvia was one of the five dismissed from office by the supreme court, which ruled that their legal mandate ended in May 2011. Three days later January 30, INEC finally shut him out of tomorrow’s election saying that only candidates that emerged after the court of Appeal judgment of Friday, April 15, 2011 would be eligible to stand in the race.
Sylvia had earlier argued that he should be the Peoples Democratic Party candidate for the February 11 governorship election having emerged as the candidate of the January 2011 governorship primaries.