News
Commercial Motorists Shun Labour Protest
Commercial motorists in Port Harcourt, Rivers State capital went about their normal business in defiance of street protest and sit-at-home strike order by the Nigeria Labour Congress (NLC) and the Trade Union Congress (TUC) last Monday.
An opinion survey conducted among the motorists revealed that the transporters were demonstrating support for the National President of the National of Union of Road Transport Workers (NURTAW) Alhaji Nojeen Yasin, who had pledged support for President Goodluck Jonathan’s transport palliatives.
Speaking at the launching of 1,600 diesel powered mass transit buses last Sunday in Abuja by President Jonathan, the NURTW President had explained that the union supported the transport progamme as a way of empowering his members and to help force down transport fares across the country.
Apparently following that path, most transporters in Port Harcourt said they have no valid reason yet, to embark on street protests even withdraw their vehicles.
A commercial cab driver, MR Ibani Odum-Oba told our reporters, “it is madness’, saying ‘how can I withdraw from the road when commuters area willing to pay N100 for every stop.
Besides, he further said, ‘we have a national leadership that is known to be working with government and until we receive any directive to the country we will go about our normal business.
Another motorists, a commercial bus driver, Mr Okon Bassey said President Jonathan cannot deliberately inflict pain on his fellow countrymen and women if there won’t be any tangible benefits in the end.
He appealed to striking labour to give the Jonathan-led Federal government benefit of the doubt, since, as a very humble, humane and listening leader Jonathan has shown genuine empathy with the masses.
However, Rowland Akpar who plies YenagoaPort Harcourt route said the hike in fares, which was caused by the removal of subsidy on petroleum products, has affected his daily returns.
Many passengers seem reluctant t making regular trips as was the case before when fares stood at between N1,500 and N2,000 as against today, between N3,000 and N4,000 respectively.
Mr Akpar who said it took him as long as 55 mins to load his bus as against between 20 and 45 mins previously and called on government and labour to resume dialogue with a view to forcing down transport prices in the country.
Soye Wilson Jamabo