Nation

THE STATES

Published

on

Bauchi

The Bauchi State Police Command said on Thursday that it had yet to receive official information on the alleged attack by unknown gunmen on a youth leader Uba Boris.

The Police Public Relations Officer (PPRO), ASP Mohammed Barau, told newsmen in Bauchi that the command had yet to receive the information, hence no arrest was made.

He said that the case, which was said to be reported to an out station in the metropolis, had to be officially sent to the command before they could go through it and take possible action.

Unknown gunmen on Tuesday night attacked the youth leader in his residence injuring him on the head, hands and thigh.

Ekiti

The Nigeria Governors’ Forum (NGF) has explained that the States Peer Review Mechanism (SPRM) it recently introduced is aimed at assisting state governments in accelerating their developmental programmes.

The Director-General of the forum, Mr Asishana Okaure, gave the explanation in Ado-Ekiti when he led officials of the forum on a visit to Gov. Kayode Fayemi.

He said the exercise was undertaken through periodic reviews of progress made in the implementation of the state governments’ development programmes.

“It is our hope that through participation in the peer review process, state governors will be able, not only to learn from their peers about innovative and good practices, but to also adopt them in their respective states.’’

FCT

Governor Rabiu Kwankwaso of Kano State has solicited the Federal Government’s intervention to contain the threat posed by effluent discharge from Shanawa Industrial Estate in the state capital.

The governor made the call on Wednesday when he paid a courtesy call on Mrs Ibukun Odusote, the Permanent Secretary, Ecological Fund Office (EFO).

A statement signed by Mr Tolu Makinde, an Assistant Director in the office, quoted the governor as saying that effluent discharge from the estate posed a serious danger to public health.

According to the statement, made in Abuja, Kwankwaso warned that effluent discharge could contaminate underground water in the area.

Jigawa

Twenty people have died from a disease outbreak suspected to be gastro-enteritis in four local government areas of Jigawa, according to community leaders and health workers.

Villages in Ringim and Taura local government areas were among the worst hit, our correspondent learnt.

The village head of Larbar-Gurugunya in Taura Local Government Area, Alhaji Bashir Abdullahi, told newsmen that 15 people had died in his village in the last two weeks.

Abdullahi identified the lack of potable water and health centres as major factors responsible for the deaths.

Kaduna

The Kaduna State Environment Protection Authority has arrested more than 1,000 stray animals, the General Manager of the Agency, Alhaji Sani Aminu, has said.

He told the newsmen in Kaduna on Thursday that they were arrested within the last 12 months.

Aminu said that the animals, comprising dogs, sheep, goats, cows and pigs, were arrested for disturbing traffic flow and causing accidents in the metropolis.

He said that about 400 were claimed by the owners after paying penalties.

Aminu said recent increase in public complaints contributed to the massive arrest, explaining: “We receive more than 20 complaints a day on the menace of the animals.’’

The general manager said the animals also contributed to the unkempt nature of some streets in Kaduna, thereby causing environmental pollution which had been threatening the health of the residents.

Kano

Supporters of former Governor of Kano State, Malam Ibrahim Shekarau, say the ban on political rallies and gatherings is unfair because they have the right to uphold their ideology.

One of the supporters Malam Abdulmumin Wudilawa, told  newsmen that the blanket ban was an indication that the present administration wanted to dominate the political activities in Kano state.

Wudilawa expressed dismay over the ban, saying that they were not embarking on a political rally or a meeting; rather they mobilised the supporters of Shekarau to welcome him back from Saudi Arabia.

Kebbi

The Kebbi Community and Social Development Project has disbursed N50.9 million in development funds to 10 communities in Yauri and Birnin Kebbi, its Acting General Manager, Alhaji Bello Alkali, said on Thursday.

Alkali told newsmen in Birnin Kebbi that the funds were disbursed at designated centres after a free pre-disbursement training conducted for members of the project management committees.

He said that at the Yauri centre, five communities — Kangungun Zamare, Ijima, Umama, Gamji and Runtuwa Dikko Mayala — were engaged in the two-day training workshop.

The acting general manager said the communities were expected to execute water, school and road projects, noting that 48 members of the project management committee participated in the training on how the projects should be executed.

Niger

The police in Niger State on Wednesday said that it would soon charge 54 suspected criminals arrested recently within the state to court for various offences.

Mr Richard Oguche, the Police Public Relations Officer in the state, made the disclosure while briefing journalists at the police headquarters in Minna.

He said 44 of the suspects (males) were arrested by a joint team of police and army at black stone, Zuma rock, Madalla.

The police spokesman said that the police recovered cutlasses, table knives, daggers and charms on them, adding that they were also smoking dried leaves suspected to be Indian hemp in the guise of celebrating sallah.

He added that six other male suspects were arrested at the Barkin Sale area of Minna with dried leaves also suspected to be Indian hemp and other substances suspected to be hard drugs.

Plateau

Commercial activities are gradually picking up in Jos, after the recent violence that left many death and several others injured.

The markets were deserted as people were scared of going out for fear of being attacked.

The situation, which was compounded by state government workers’ strike is, however, returning to normal after the suspension of the industrial action.

Our correspondent who went to some markets in the metropolis observed that shop owners were back for business.

Mr Sylvanus Chukwuma, a textile dealer at the Terminus market told newsmen that he was tired of staying at home after spending all that he had on him before the hostilities started.

“With the presence of the security men in the markets, those that hate peace will be scared,’’ he said.

Mr Cyril Obiakor, the Chairman, Kabong Market Traders Association, told newsmen that although they still operated in fear, the level of patronage had increased significantly.

Sokoto

The Sultan of Sokoto, Alhaji Sa’ad Abubakar III, has identified lack of mutual understanding between Muslims and Christians as the biggest hindrance to peace and stability in Nigeria.

The Sultan made the observation in Sokoto on Wednesday when he received a delegation of members of Catholic Bishop Conference of Nigeria, led by the Papal Nuncio to Nigeria, Archbishop Augustine Kasujja .

According to him, there must be understanding between Christians and Muslims as God has created us together with diverse backgrounds for us to coexist peacefully.

Abubakar further said that Nigerians should continue to be their brothers’ keepers in spite of the differences in religious, ethnic or political leanings.

Abubakar gave the assurance that his doors would remain open to all Nigerians, be they Christians or Muslims.

Yobe

The Yobe Commissioner for Agriculture, Alhaji Idi Gubana, said on Wednesday that swamps of birds had migrated into the state, ravaging farmlands in Damaturu, Giedam, Yusufari and Yunusari local government areas.

Gubana told newsmen in Damaturu that the birds had already destroyed several farmlands.

He said that the ministry had drafted pest control officers to the affected areas to control the situation to save the remaining farms.

He expressed fears that the pests may migrate to other areas of the state to cause more havoc on farms.

“The ministry had deployed manpower and chemicals to the neighbouring communities of the affected local governments to check the spread of the pests,” the commissioner said.

Zamfara

Governor Abdulaziz Yari of Zamfara says the government is working on a bill for an act that would make cotton production a criteria for receiving agricultural support and other incentives.

Yari disclosed this in Gusau on Thursday when he received representatives of farmers from Maru, Tsafe, Maradun and Gummi local governments areas.

He said his administration was committed to harnessing the agricultural potential of the state to develop the economy.

“The state has great potential in agriculture, particularly in cotton production, which can earn us hard currency, rejuvenate our economy and address our pervasive poverty,” he said.

Yari said the government would forward the bill to the state Assembly, adding that it would boost commercial production of cotton, if passed into law.

The governor promised that his administration would provide farmers with high yielding cotton seeds, fertiliser, and modern farming equipment to ease farming activities.

Trending

Exit mobile version