Front Pix

17th NSF: Festival Gets N83m Boost …400 JTF Police To Secure Games Village

Published

on

Preparations for the successful hosting of the 17th National Sports Festival (NSF), tagged “Garden City Games 2011” billed to hold in Port Harcourt from June 27 to July 11, 2011, received a boost last night with the sum of N83 million realised at a fund raising dinner.

Rivers State Governor, Rt. Hon. Chibuike Rotimi Amaechi, speaking at the dinner held at the Atlantic Hall, Hotel Presidential, Port Harcourt, called on well-meaning Nigerians in both the public and private sectors to partner with the State Government to ensure the success of the festival.

The Governor, represented by his deputy, Engr. Tele Ikuru, who is the Chairman of the Local Organising Committee (LOC) and Vice Chairman of the Main Organising Committee (MOC), said that the capacity of the organisers will be enhanced “when there is robust synergy between the government, the private sector and other stakeholders,” calling on various stakeholders to “key into this strategic effort to deliver to the nation the greatest sporting fiesta in her history”.

He noted that “nothing will be deemed too small or too big, whether physical cash, logistics of any kind, or any other resources.” Governor Amaechi described the sports fiesta as “indeed, the nation’s jubilee showpiece,” saying it will engender sports as “a lucrative national economic mainstay,” assuring that participants would be “treated to a good taste of entertaining sports, excellent hospitality and engaging stay at the event”.

Speaking, Chairman of the MOC and Director General of the National Sports Commission (NSC), Dr Patrick Ekeji, represented by the Secretary of the MOC, Alhaji Abba Yola, commended the State Government and the LOC for striving to ensure that the facilities for the games were ready, saying, all the venues now have electricity, water and other amenities, disclosing that all participating states contingents had been allotted accommodation at the Games Village.

Corporate bodies which made various donations at the event include leading bankers to the festival, Equatorial Trust Bank Plc (ETB), with the highest donation of N50 million, Skye Bank Plc, N20 million, Integrated Logistics (Intels), N5 million, Rivers State House of Assembly, N3 million, Association of Local Government Chairmen in Nigeria (ALGON), N2.3 million, STEMCO and Zerock, N1 million each, Wilberforce Nigeria Limited, N.5 million and Wooden Nigeria Limited, N100,000, among others.

Meanwhile,as various contingents arrive Port Harcourt from today for the 17th National Sports Festival, athletes and officials are guaranteed adequate security at the Games Village.

Already over 400 men of the Joint Task Force (JTF), mobile and regular policemen have been deployed to ensure safety at the University of Port Harcourt premises, the game village.

According to the Chairman of the Local Organising Committee, (LOC), accommodation sub-committee, Dr Sam Sam Jaja, everything has been put in place to receive, accommodate ad ensure the welfare of athletes and officials.

He disclosed that advanced parties of most of the states (36) and Federal Capital Territory being expected for the games  have arrived Port Harcourt.

He also said that all the athletes will be quartered at the game village in UNIPORT, while some officials, especially, those that will be involved in events within Port Harcourt main city will be accommodated at different venues.

Meanwhile, athletes, officials and others are assured of round the clock entertainment at the village, as live shows, musical parties and others have been lined up for them while security will be tight at the venue, free movement is assured to enable athletes and others enjoy the carnival atmosphere normally expected at sports fiesta of this nature.

Flood at the St John’s Bus Stop, Oroworukwo by Aba Road after the heavy down pour in Port Harcourt, last Wednesday

Trending

Exit mobile version