Niger Delta

Evacuation of Sapele Gas Power Underway

Published

on

Vice-President Namadi Sambo has said that two out of the four turbines at the Sapele power plant have been completed and ready for evacuation.

Sambo, who disclosed this last Friday when he inspected the Sapele power project in Delta State, said the two turbines would produce 451 megawatts of electricity.

He expressed delight with the project, saying that enormous progress had been recorded as compared to when he visited the site two years ago.

“I am happy to see that work has progressed and that two plants are being test-run right now.

“The gas facility is ready, the transmission line and the switch have been completed and are ready to evacuate power.

“I am very happy for this development. The remaining two turbines will be completed by the end of July and very soon Mr President will come to commission this project,” he said.

Sambo, who met with stakeholders and contractors of the NIPP project, encouraged them to ensure speedy completion of their contracts to enable them to attract more patronage from the government.

Earlier, Governor Emmanuel Uduaghan of Delta expressed appreciation to the Federal Government for building the thermal plant, saying that the project would enhance the state’s development.

Uduaghan maintained that the project would engage the youths in meaningful handiwork.

In his remark, the Site Manager of the company handling the project, Mr Gordon Faulker, said the entire power project in Sapele would soon be completed.

While expressing his gratitude to the government for its cooperation, Faulker said gas lines were being constructed and that the turbines would be fired as soon as gas was received in the next 40 days.

Trending

Exit mobile version