Front Pix

I’ll Not Challenge Results –Buhari

Published

on

Congress for Progressive Change (CPC) presidential candidate, Gen. Muhammadu Buhari, weeping at the conclusion of CPC presidential campaign in Abuja, on Wednesday

As the presidential candidate of Congress for Progressive Change (CPC), retired Gen. Muhammadu Buhari, commends last Saturday’s presidential election, he restated his decision not to challenge the results in the court if he failed.

“I have already said that this time around I will not go to court but my party may decide to go to court”, he said and commended INEC for addressing most of the lapses experienced in the National Assembly’s election.

Buhari made the commendation in Daura while speaking with newsmen shortly after casting his vote at Sarkin Yara ‘A’ polling unit.

He however lamented that there were still reported cases of alleged illegal thump-printing of ballot papers in some places across the country.

“In most of the places voting is going on smoothly.

“But there are still problems of nocturnal movement last night to the early hours of today with airplanes carrying ballot papers to some of the states where they are being thump-printed in several places,’’ he alleged.

Buhari urged the police to make a categorical statement on the recent interception of some ballot papers in Abuja meant for the presidential election.

Also, former President Ibrahim Babangida lauded INEC for the smooth conduct of the ongoing general elections and said: “So far, so good”.

Babangida, who voted around 1p.m told newsmen in Minna that, “the process is coming up well because I ran an election some 18 years ago and I can tell you whether it is good or not, I think so far, so good.”

“I will like to give credit to the people of my ward, that is these people you find around here because I belong here,’’ he said.

He commended the people for their orderliness and  cooperation, adding: “They took a lot of interest in discharging their civic responsibility, so I commend them.’’

The former military president advised that the number of existing political parties be pruned to five to ensure effective management and enduring democracy.

Also Governor Babangida Aliyu of Niger State  has commended the people of the state for turning out en mass to cast their votes during the presidential election.

The governor voted at 12.15 p.m. at Umaru Musa polling unit at Tundun Wada ward in Minna along with his wife, Jummai.

“I am happy that we are beginning to understand sentiment with reality so that after these elections the foundation for democracy would have been properly laid,’’ he noted.

On the Suleja bombings, Aliyu said that adequate security had been put in place to ensure security of lives and property in the area.

Meanwhile,ACN presidential candidate, Malam Nuhu Ribadu, has said he will accept the outcome of the election in the spirit of sportsmanship.

Ribadu spoke on Saturday shortly after he cast his vote in Yola

In a related development, Gov. Emmanuel Uduaghan of Delta has said that Saturday’s presidential election was an improvement over the last National Assembly elections.

Speaking shortly after casting his vote at Abigborodo, Ward 6, Unit 1 of Warri North LGA of Delta, Uduaghan said that INEC had corrected some of the lapses noticed in the last elections.

The governor, who voted at 12. 40 p.m., urged the people to remain peaceful and enthusiastic even in the April 26 elections.

Meanwhile, Osun Deputy Governor, Alhaji Mosshood Adeoti,  has attributed voters’ apathy in the state to the failure of opposition to form a coalition against the ruling PDP.

Adeoti made the disclosure at the Gidibo ward 6 in Iwo, Osun while speaking to newsman last Saturday.

He said that the low turnout would not repeat itself in the next elections.

Trending

Exit mobile version