South East
FRSC Seeks Assistance From Enugu Govt
The Enugu State Sector Commander of the Federal Road Safety Commission (FRSC), Mr Hyginus Foumsuk, has appealed to the state government to assist the commission with a 50-ton tow truck.
Foumsuk said that the truck would assist the commission in evacuating vehicles and clearing traffic at the Onyema Hill portion of the dual carriage in Enugu.
Speaking with newsmen in Enugu last Friday, Foumsuk said that the rains and construction work on the road had made the hill a death trap for heavy duty vehicle drivers.
He said that a lot of articulated vehicles had tumbled on the hill because of its sharp slope, brake failure and carelessness of some drivers who overtake on the bridge.
“Most of these vehicles have remained unclaimed and have constituted problems to flow of traffic on the expressway which is a gateway into Enugu,” he said.
The FRSC Commander said that the commission lacked the capacity to tow away wreckages of heavy duty vehicles.
Foumsuk said that the tow truck could be in the custody of the state government and released to the commission when needed.
Most motorists have resorted to using the old Ngwo road which was abandoned when the expressway was constructed.
A bus driver, Mr Emeka Iheduba, in an interview said that he had decided to ply the old road, instead of continuing on the expressway because of the delay he had been experiencing on it.
He also complained that his vehicle, a Toyota Hiace bus, had taken a lot of bashing in the past few days.