Chairman, Federal Radio Corporation of Nigeria (FRCN) Board of Directors, Chief Boyelayefa Debekeme, has assured Nigerians that the corporation will cover the 2011 elections effectively.
Debekeme gave the assurance at the inauguration of FRCN ultra- modern newsroom on Monday in Abuja.
“With this world-class newsroom in place, the coverage of the 2011 elections will leave an indelible and positive mark on the political landscape of Nigeria.
“This will no doubt place an enormous task on the shoulders of the news directorate personnel and those of the other directorates that will be involved in the coverage,’’ he said.
The chairman said the board and management were prepared to provide the necessary tools for the operations of the organisation.
“Another advantage of having paperless operations is the reduction in the time needed for news production and delivery as well as the associated costs which will be channeled to other areas of need, ‘’ he said.
Debekeme added that the newsroom would enable the news directorate operate in a favourable atmosphere to inform and educate Nigerians on happenings around them.
He assured listeners of accurate, clear and timely delivery of news and programmes.
In his remark, Mr Yusuf Nuhu, Director-General of FRCN, said that the importance attached to digitalisation of the newsroom could not be over- emphasised.
He said the FRCN had inaugurated 20 FM stations across the country with a few yet-to-be-completed, adding that budget proposal for the project had been made.
“Efforts are being made to get spare parts for those of our FM stations which in one way or the other were affected by storm and other disasters,” he said.
Also speaking, Mr Jonas Emechebe, Director of Engineering Services, FRCN, said that the corporation had two 500 kva stand- by generators to ensure smooth operations.
“We also have an 80kva Uninterruptible Power Supply (UPS) which we use as backup for all our equipment that can carry power supply for up to 30 to 35 minutes before changing to alternative source of power supply,’’ he added.
Coronavius Hits Totthenham
Tottenham’s preparations for their pre-Christmas fixtures have been disrupted by a Coronavirus outbreak at the club.
It is understood that a number of players and club staff have returned positive Covid-19 tests.
More PCR testing is due to take place over the next 24 hours.
Spurs are due to face Rennes in a crucial Europa Conference League group game in London on Thursday before a Premier League trip to Brighton on Sunday.
Under UEFA regulations, if they have 13 available players, including a goalkeeper, from their 25-man A list, they must fulfil the Rennes fixture, which they need to win to stand a chance of qualifying for the final 32.
The game could be postponed if they do not have sufficient player numbers but all group matches must be completed by 31 December.
It is yet to be established whether the club will contact the Premier League about Sunday’s game at the Amex Stadium, but a decision to postpone league matches can only be made by the competition board.
AFCON : ECA Expresses Concern Over Players’ Safety
The European Club Association (ECA) has expressed its concerns over players’ health and welfare ahead of the 2021 Africa Cup of Nations, which kicks off on January 9 in Cameroon.
In a press release made available to Tidesports sources said the organisation revealed its worry over players health, considering the issues that have happened this year.
Over 70 per cent of the players that will represent their nations in Cameroon play their football in Europe, which is why it is not a surprise to see the ECA concerned.
In the last six months, a couple of players have collapsed due to heart-related issues, and there have been suggestions that the high number of games might have contributed to it.
However, in a chat with Tidesports source one of Nigeria’s reputable sports medical doctors, Tunde Akinbinu, said there is no medical evidence that shows that the high number of games is the reason why some players have suffered cardiovascular issues.
But he did confirm that players are likely to have more injuries and suffer from fatigue from playing too many games.
“When a player has too many games with or without Coronavirus, there’s a possibility of increased injuries, fatigue and electrolyte imbalances,” Akinbinu said.
“But does it increase the risk of pulmonary cardiac accidents? Not really particular.”
“They are more likely to be affected by the muscles fatigue.”
“Players could also be jaded and sometimes gas out from too many games.”
“But usually, the high number of games may not be related to the increase cardiac arrest,” he added.
The ECA may also be worried about the little matter of Omicron- the new variant of Covid-19- but doctor Akinbinu believes there is no need to panic yet.
“The world will have a better view of the Omicron over the next few weeks,” he said.
“Viruses mutate generally and are usually less aggressive.”
“So we expect that Omicron may be easily transferrable but has less mortality rate than the earliest forms of coronavirus,” he concluded.
Newcastle’s Co-Owner Denies Offering Emenalo Technical Director Job
Mehrdad Ghodoussi, a co-owner at Newcastle, has denied a report that Michael Emenalo was offered a sporting director role at St James’ Park.
The former Super Eagles left-back had been tipped as the favourite to land the juicy role at the new mega-rich club after a successful seven-year spell in a similar role at Chelsea.
But many were caught by surprise when a few media publications quoting the Telegraph claimed that Emenalo had been offered the job, and he rejected the offer.
But co-owner Ghodoussi has taken to his Twitter account to rubbish the reports and made it clear that the club did not offer the former Monaco technical director the job.
“Contrary to a newspaper report, Michael Emenalo was never offered the job of Sporting Director or Director of Football at Newcastle United,”
Ghodoussi is a part-owner of PCP Capital Partners, which holds a minority stake in Newcastle and was part of the consortium – led by Saudi Arabia’s Public Investment Fund – that completed its £300m takeover of the club in October.
Emenalo has been without a job since leaving his position as Monaco’s technical director in 2019.
Before that, he enjoyed seven successful years at Chelsea, initially as an assistant manager before he was made the sporting director.
During his time with the Blues, the club won three Premier League titles, four FA Cups, the coveted UEFA Champions League, and the 2013 Europa League.
Business5 days ago
Nembe Oil Spill From Aiteo Facility Worst I’ve Seen – Diri
Business5 days ago
‘Emerging Challenges May Frustrate Dev Of Gas Resources’
Politics5 days ago
CAN Accuses El-Rufai Of Hidden Agenda
Nation5 days ago
SEAMATA Condemns Inport Duty Increment On Cargo
Featured5 days ago
PDP’ll Support Presidential Candidate With Capacity To Salvage Nigeria -Wike …Says, I Won’t Impose My Successor
Business5 days ago
PHCCIMA Boss Lists Core Service Areas
News5 days ago
Senate Blasts Saipem Over Breach Of Local Content Act On NLNG Train-7
Politics5 days ago
Meagre Allocation Stalls Adamawa LG Polls