Connect with us

Sports

Ndanusa Commends Work In Kano Zone Ahead FIFA U-17 W/Cup

Published

on

The Minister of Sports, Engineer Sani Ndanusa, has stated that the on-going work at the two stadia, the Sani Abacha Stadium and Kano Pilars Stadium has recorded tremendous progress, saying that the only set back is the lack of electronic score board which is yet to be installed.

Ndanusa made this observation in Kano on Sunday while on inspection tour of facilities at the two stadia expected to host the forthcoming Under-17 World Youth Championship to assess the level of preparedness so far recorded pending the visit of the FIFA delegation.

Expected in the country on July 26th this year the minister, who embarked on a critical inspection noted that despite the tremendous effort put up by the Kano State government and the enormous resources committed to ensure that Kano secured the hosting rights, the greatest setback is the absence of a score board, which is one of cardinal requirements to secure the hosting as a centre.

He explained that with the guarantee by President Umaru Musa Yar’Adua for a hundred per cent preparedness, the eight centres have also been mandated to give guarantee of readiness in meeting FIFA requirement for hosting the tournament.

He commended the state government for the progress of work achieved so far at the two stadia over the lying of the synthetic turf; despite its late arrival.

It was also observed that in the course of his inspection, the pillars supporting the popular side of the Sani Abacha Stadium was collapsing, where the sports minister was assured by contractor that within two weeks from now, the 20 columns will be re-enforced and encased for proper fabrication to make it solid.

Ndanusa also charged the Kano State government to provide another backup of power generation which we order them to as a matter of urgency provide another 1000 mega watt generating plant to add to the one thousand mega watt already installed to power the electronic score board.

He was also surprised on why the installations of equipment have not commenced at the press gallery after its completion, where he was assured that with one week a fast-track measure will be put in place for the final installation of power-back internet and inter facilities.

However, the visit seems to have been characterised by mixed feelings on the part of the contractors handling the projects, as they complained of non release of funds amounting to N90 million which should have been paid in the past six weeks by the ministry of information and sports.

One of the contractors who confided in newsmen said the refusal to release the fund has seriously hampered the progress of work at the two stadia.

Print Friendly, PDF & Email
Continue Reading

Sports

World Cup 2022: Man Killed In Iran Celebrating Team’s Loss

Published

on

A man is reported to have been killed by security forces in northern Iran, as anti-government protesters publicly celebrated the national football team’s elimination from the World Cup.
Activists said Mehran Samak was shot in the head after he honked his car’s horn in Bandar Anzali on Tuesday night.
Videos from other cities showed crowds cheering and dancing in the streets.
Many Iranians refused to support their football team in Qatar, seeing it as a representation of the Islamic Republic.
State-affiliated media blamed hostile forces both inside and outside Iran for putting unfair pressure on the players following their 1-0 loss to the USA in the final group game.
The players did not sing the national anthem before their first game, a 6-2 defeat by England, in an apparent expression of solidarity with the protesters.
But they did sing at the Wales game, which they won 2-0, and at the politically-charged showdown against the USA.
Some protesters saw that as a betrayal of their cause even though there were reports that the team came under intense pressure from Iranian authorities.
The unrest started 10 weeks ago following the death in custody of Mahsa Amini, a 22-year-old woman arrested by morality police in Tehran for allegedly violating the strict rules requiring women to cover their hair with a hijab.
Authorities have responded to what they have portrayed as foreign-backed riots with a violent crackdown in which the Norway-based group Iran Human Rights says at least 448 people have been killed, including 60 children. More than 18,000 others are reported to have been arrested.

Print Friendly, PDF & Email
Continue Reading

Sports

Belgium Out Of W/Cup

Published

on

Belgium have been knocked out of the World Cup at the group stage as Croatia progressed at their expense with a goalless draw in Qatar.
Roberto Martinez’s side, who finished third in Russia four years ago and are ranked second in the world, have had a disappointing tournament with just one win and one goal in their three matches
They produced another lacklustre display against Croatia despite knowing victory was necessary to progress to the last 16.
Substitute Romelu Lukaku had numerous chances in the second half but his failure to convert any sealed his country’s fate.
Lukaku, searching for sharpness following injury, hit the post from in front of goal, poked an effort wide when well-placed and reacted too slowly when the ball hit him in the six-yard box in stoppage time.
Croatia, finalists in 2018, got the point they needed to progress from Group F as runners-up, with Morocco taking top spot thanks to a 2-1 win against Canada.
Zlatko Dalic’s side will face the winners of Group E , which is currently Spain, in the last 16.
Belgium players fell to the turf at full-time as their supporters behind the goal politely applauded them off the pitch.
Lukaku, who replaced Dries Mertens at half-time, came into the game with intent and immediately brought energy and purpose to his side.
But his missed opportunities in the second half proved costly, with each one bringing an audible collective groan from the stands and the on-loan Inter Milan striker punched the dugout in frustration after the final whistle.
Croatia were not especially convincing, their most threatening moment was a first-half penalty award being ruled out by VAR because of an offside infringement in the build-up – but did enough to secure progression.
They did however look a level below what they showed to reach the final in Russia four years ago and their celebrations were fairly subdued after scraping through.

Print Friendly, PDF & Email
Continue Reading

Sports

Germany Crash Out Of World Cup Despite 4-2 Defeat Of Costa Rica

Published

on

Germany crashed out of the World Cup at the group stage for the second time in succession despite a 4-2 win against Costa Rica on Thursday.
The four-time World Cup winners came into the match needing a win but were also relying on the result of Japan’s game with Spain to progress.
But the Germans were eliminated due to goal difference as Japan followed up their defeat of Germany with another shock result by beating Spain 2-1.
Germany took an early lead but briefly fell behind in the second half as coach Hansi Flick made a flurry of changes, reacting to the live score of the Japan v Spain fixture.
The Germans started positively, with Flick’s all-Bayern Munich front line turning the screws early, battering the Costa Rica defence before Serge Gnabry got his head to a curling cross from Leipzig defender David Raum after 10 minutes to open the scoring.
Midfielder Leon Goretzka almost doubled Germany’s lead just five minutes later but his header was directly at Keylor Navas.
Complacency began to creep into Germany’s game. Keysher Fuller, Costa Rica’s goal-scoring hero in a 1-0 win against Japan, forced Manuel Neuer into a fingertip save after some half-hearted defending from Raum and Antonio Ruediger.
Flick moved Kimmich back to his familiar defensive midfield position at half-time, bringing on Lukas Klostermann at the expense of Goretzka, who like Kimmich started the match on a yellow.
Just seven minutes into the second half, word crept around the vast Lusail Stadium that Japan had scored two quick goals to take the lead against Spain, a result which would force Germany out of the tournament.
Flick reacted immediately, bringing on Niclas Fuellkrug and taking off another midfielder in Ilkay Gundogan.
Germany appeared disjointed as Costa Rica went on the counter on the 58-minute mark, the ball rebounding off Neuer and into the path of Yeltsin Tejeda, who slammed it home.
Flick continued to chase the game, making more changes but it was Costa Rica who scored next when Juan Pablo Vargas tapped a free kick past Neuer to put his side past Spain and into the Round of 16. The goal was later recorded as an own goal.
Germany hit back minutes later through Chelsea forward Kai Havertz to draw level.
Havertz scored again in the 86th minute and Fuellkrug added another in the 89th minute to bring the score to 4-2, but the side’s focus remained nervously fixed on the group’s parallel fixture.
The night ended with Germany losing out to second-placed Spain on goal difference.
It means Germany, who had not missed out on the knockout stages of a World Cup for 80 years until the 2018 tournament in Russia, have been bundled out in the group stage for the second World Cup in a row.

Print Friendly, PDF & Email
Continue Reading

Trending