Connect with us

Nation

THE STATES

Published

on

Governor Akinwunmi Ambode of Lagos (left), condoling the widow of Dr Tunji Braithwaite, Mrs Grace Braithwaite, during a condolence visit to Braithwaite’s  family in Lagos, recently. With them is Dara Rhodes.

Governor Akinwunmi Ambode of Lagos (left), condoling the widow of Dr Tunji Braithwaite, Mrs Grace Braithwaite, during a condolence visit to Braithwaite’s family in Lagos, recently. With them is Dara Rhodes.

Bauchi
Bauchi State Police Command has arrested three women
suspected to be “specialists” in child trafficking.
Public Relation Officer (PPRO) of the command, DSP Haruna Mohammed, disclosed this in a statement made available to newsmen in Bauchi.
He said the suspects were arrested by detectives of the command on March 25.
Mohammed one of the suspects from Plateau, was arrested for selling a 17-month-old baby to a woman from Imo State at the cost of N200,000.
He also said the woman also sold a 14-month-old-baby to another woman, who hailed from Benue, at the cost of N80,000.
He said that the two babies had been recovered.

Borno
The Borno Government has appealed to the Comman
dant General of Nigeria Security and Civil Defense Corps (NSCDC), Mr Abdullahi Gana, to employ more youths from the state.
The call is contained in a statement issued by Malam Isa Gusau, the Special Adviser on Media and Strategy to Governor Kashim Shettima in Maiduguri.
The statement noted that Governor Shettima made the appeal when he visited Gana in Abuja and appealed that the gesture would help to fill the vacuum left by indigenes of the state who died while serving the organisation.
“Shettima submitted a comprehensive data of about 90 Borno youths who died either through natural causes or got killed in the course of serving the NSCDC to Gana,” Gusau stated.

Ekiti
The National Coordinator, Wireless Application Ser
vice Providers Association of Nigeria (WASPAN) Mr Chijioke Ezeh, has called for favourable revenue share for Value Added Service (VAS) providers in the country.
In an interview with our correspondent on Monday, in Lagos, Ezeh said that the current revenue sharing formula was not favourable to VAS providers.
Our correspondent  reports that there is currently a revenue share of 60 by 40 per cent, between the telecommunications network providers and the VAS providers.
He said that such revenue share might run down the businesses of VAS companies, which in turn would affect job creation.
Ezeh called on the Nigerian Communications Commission (NCC) to look into the area of revenue-sharing among mobile operators and VAS providers in its proposed regulations to guide the sector.

FCT
The Nasrul-lahi-li Fathi Society of Nigeria (NASFAT),
has called on Muslim parents and guardians to inculcate good moral values into their children at infancy.
The Chief Missioner of NASFAT, Sheik Abdullahi Akinbode made the call in Abuja at the public presentation of a book titled; “Read Arabic with Ease,’’ Book 1 and 2 ‘ written by Hajiya Amina Abdulganiyu.
He said that it was imperative for parents to expose their children to good virtues at the early stage of their lives to ensure decency in the society.
He said that the failure of some parents to train their children well often produced bad people who became problem to the society.

Gombe
The Gombe State Ministry of Women Affairs and So
cial Welfare says it has handled 66 cases of child abuse in the past eight months.
Director of Child Development in the ministry, Mr Jenis Maiyamba, disclosed this in Jos at the sidelines of a Child Protection System Strengthening Meeting organised by UNICEF.
He told newsmen that the cases involved rape, drug, abandonment and forced marriages, among others.
According to him, 20 of the cases bordered on sexual abuse and rape, five cases each of drug and physical abuse, four cases each of forced marriage and abandonment and one case of human trafficking.

Jigawa
Buji local government area of Jigawa said it had
screened 27 prospective pilgrims for the 2017 Hajj.
The Information Officer of the council, Alhaji Ali Safiyanu, disclosed this in an interview with newsmen in Dutse.
Safiyanu said that the council was allotted 27 Hajj seats by the state’s Pilgrim Welfare Board.
He explained that the committee had taken adequate measures to ensure that only indigenes of the council participated in the screening.
The spokesperson pointed out that the gesture was to ensure that only the indigenes were given the seats.

Kano
The Legal Aid Council in Kano said it received no
fewer than 64 cases from aggrieved individuals in February.
The Coordinator of the council in the state, Alhaji Abubakar Umar, disclosed this in an interview with newsmen in Kano.
Umar said 42 of the cases were criminal, while the remaining 22 were civil cases.
He said the council had disposed eight of the criminal cases and nine civil cases, while the remaining were pending in various courts.
“Some of the complainants prefer to solve their cases at our office. Complainants are always encouraged to resolve their cases out of court to ensure amicable solution.”

Kaduna
The National Youth Service Corps (NYSC), in partner
ship with a U.S based firm, JAF Technology Solutions, is to train corps members in Kaduna State on use of technology to develop businesses..
The NYSC State Coordinator, Mohammed Momoh disclosed this while briefing newsmen recently.
Momoh said the NYSC , as the largest body of youth motivators in the country, would train corps members to make them job creators instead of job seekers.
He said that the scheme would partner with genuine individuals and organizations to add value to all corps members.
“The scheme would compliment efforts of the Federal Government to provide employment opportunities for young Nigerian graduates through Skills Acquisition and Entrepreneur Development (SAED) programme.

Lagos
The Lagos Police Command has commended residents
of the state for their collaboration in fighting crimes, particularly during the Easter celebrations.
A statement by the spokesperson of the command, SP Dolapo Badmos, stated that the celebration was observed without any major crime owing to the efforts of the residents.
“The Easter celebration period was peaceful and crime free.
“This wouldn’t have been achievable, but for the active partnership between the Lagos state police command and members of the public.

Ogun

A 32-year-old man, Bashiru Azeez, has been docked at
an Ota Magistrates’ Court in Ogun for allegedly collecting N49,500 under pretence from one Bosede Adebisi.
The accused, who lives at No. 12, Ilo-Awera St., Ota, is standing trial on a one -count charge of collecting money under pretence.
The Prosecutor, Sgt Chudu Gbesi, told the court that the accused committed the offence on February 9 at about 4:00 p.m. at Atan Garage, in Ota.
He said that the accused collected N49,500 from one Bosede Adebisi under the pretext to supply seven bags of rice, an agreement he did not fulfil.
Gbesi said that the offence contravened Sections 390 and 419 of the Criminal Code Vol.11, Laws of Ogun, 2006.
The defendant, however, pleaded not guilty to the charge.
The Senior Magistrate, Mr S.O. Banwo, admitted the accused to bail in the sum of N100, 000 with one surety in like sum.
Oyo

Sen. Rilwan Akanbi (APC-Oyo South), has said that
the 2016 national budget passed by the Senate would ensure rapid economic growth.
Akanbi gave the assurance during a town hall meeting he held with Owala, Temidire, Isokan, Akataapa and Ekerin communities at Owala playing ground, Ologuneru in Ibadan.
He urged the people to be patient with and support the administration of President Muhammadu Buhari, saying the nation’s dwindling economy would soon be revived.
“The last administration mismanaged so much of our resources not minding the future of the country.
“The president had since the inception of his administration been confronted with transforming the economy.
“He has shown more commitment to rejuvenating the economy and Nigerians would soon smile. I implore you all to give him maximum support in achieving this,” he said.

Plateau
The Special Task Force (STF) in charge of security in Plateau has advised citizens to remain vigilant after the Easter celebration which was generally peaceful.
Capt. Ikedechi Iweha, STF Spokesperson, in an interview with newsmen in Jos also advised the people not to let down their guard.
Iweha said that Easter celebration had come and gone but there was still need for the people to be security conscious.
“The people must be vigilant and report any suspicious persons, movement or objects to security agencies for prompt action.
“The STF, on its part, will sustain its efforts toward ensuring that all Plateau citizens stay peacefully with one another,’’ he stated.
Meanwhile, the Plateau Police Command has urged citizens to continue to cooporate with security agencies even after the festive period to sustain the existing peace in the state.

Continue Reading

Nation

Emirates Resumes Flights To Nigeria, June 23

Published

on

The UAE carrier, Emirates Airlines, would start carrying passengers from South Africa, Nigeria and India from June 23, the UAE Embassy said as it announced revised rules on Covid-19.
“We look forward to facilitating travel from these countries and supporting various travellers’ categories,” the airline said in a separate statement, yesterday.
“Residence visa holders from India and travellers from South Africa should’ve taken two doses of a vaccine approved by UAE authorities and carry RT-PCR tests reports from labs approved by the federal governments of these countries.
“But for Nigerians vaccination is not made mandatory but all other conditions apply.
“In addition to the above, Indians have to take a rapid PCR test four hours prior to their travel.
“While there are four vaccines in the UAE for use on eligible individuals against the Covid-19 infection – Sinopharm, Pfizer-BioNTech, Sputnik V and Oxford-AstraZeneca, it is unclear if the UAE has approved vaccines administered on Indian, South African and Nigerian citizens in their countries,” it stated.
“All travellers are also required to present a negative Covid-19 test result taken within 48 hours before departure.
“UAE citizens are exempted.
“Only QR coded PCR test result certificates are accepted.
“All passengers must take a rapid PCR test four hours prior to flight departure.
“All passengers must undergo a PCR test on arrival at Dubai Airport.
“Passengers should undergo institutional quarantine until they receive their PCR test result, which is expected within 24 hours.
“Passengers should produce a negative PCR test certificate with a QR Code from labs approved by the Nigerian government.
“All passengers must undergo a PCR test on arrival to Dubai Airport.
“Transit passengers should comply with entry protocols of final destinations.
“Entry will now be permitted to residents who have received two doses of UAE-approved vaccines,” the state said.
The revised procedures for travellers coming from the Republic of India, South Africa and Nigeria were issued by the Supreme Committee of Crisis and Disaster Management in Dubai.
They are effective from June 23, the Dubai Media Office said.
It said the updates are part of the committee’s keenness to protect passengers and ease hassles for them without compromising on Covid-19 preventive measures, said the Chairman of the Supreme Committee, Sheikh Mansoor Al-Maktoum.
The Media Office announcement said the updated travel protocols are part of a normal process of revising and optimising preventive measures based on the latest local, regional and international developments.

Continue Reading

Nation

Bagudu Vows To Lead Rescue Operation Over Yauri Abduction

Published

on

Governor Atiku Bagudu of Kebbi State last Saturday vowed to lead the rescue operation of teachers and students abducted from the Federal Government College (FGC), Birnin Yauri, in Ngaski Local Government Area of the State.
Bagudu, who is also Chairman, Progressives Governors’ Forum, spoke when local hunters visited him.
Reports had that the Chairman, Nigeria Governors’ Forum (NGF) and Ekiti State Governor, Dr Kayode Fayemi, and his Jigawa State counterpart, Alhaji Badaru Abubakar, also paid a solidarity and sympathy visit on Gov. Bagudu.
Bagudu assured that some other governors and  stakeholders will join him in the ongoing search operations for the abducted students and staff of the school.
According to him, he will discuss with his colleagues and security agencies in this direction, so as not to jeorpardise the ongoing commendable operations to rescue the abducted students and staff.
He said: “But, we will go out there and like I promised, the day we will move out, I will not be in the office because we will join you in the field.”
The Kebbi State Governor said that this would be done barring all consequences in a bid to rescue the abductees.
Bagudu argued: “It is not weapons that win wars, but it is the will that bad people cannot triumph and we will show that, we have enough will power .
“President Muhammadu Buhari and the security agencies have been doing the best they could with limited resources.
“But, we also need to mobilize, kit ourselves and take on these bandits. Our various scriptures as Muslims and Christians allow us to put our lives at risk in defence of our honour, property and our faiths.
“In what the bandits are doing, they have challenged all of us, so, we can’t let them.”
Bagudu asked the hunters to go back and fully mobilise, pending when he gets the necessary clearance from the security agencies, adding, “we will meet in the field.”
The governor maintained that governors were not sworn in only to sit down in the office and work.
He stated that they are aware that one day they would be required to lead in the field, even though they are not military or police personnel.
He said that if hundreds of thousands of people can be mobilised during campaigns, same should be done now to join the search party.
He said: “What happened in Birnin Yauri should be the last straw. We should follow these bandits wherever they are and take them on.”
Bagudu also described the abduction as very callous, even as he lauded the security agencies, management of the school, ‘Yan Sakai and vigilantes for their heroic efforts since the bandits struck at the college.

Continue Reading

Nation

Govs, Others Task Security Agencies On S’East

Published

on

South-East governors and leaders have requested security agencies in the zone to respect the rights and privileges of all those living in the zone.
They made the call on Saturday in Enugu after a meeting attended by political leaders, socio-cultural organisations, clerics and the traditional leaders.
The Chairman, South-East Governors’ Forum, Governor David Umahi of Ebonyi State, who addressed reporters after the meeting, condemned the killing of civilians in the zone by security agencies.
Umahi urged them to discharge their duties within the law and in accordance with their rules of engagement.
The Ebonyi governor reaffirmed the commitment of the region to the corporate existence of the country.
Umahi, however, said that such union must be based on love, mutual respect and equality of rights irrespective of one’s religion, ethnic group, political inclination and creed.
The governor said the various secessionist groups from the region were not speaking for the people of the area.
He said the leaders from the zone had set up a committee to engage the agitators to allow elders of the region to address their fears.
“We have come out publicly on many occasions to speak against such agitations,” he said.
Umahi said the meeting was in fulfilment of the June 11 agreement they had with a federal government delegation led by the Minister of Defense, Bashir Magashi, a retired major-general.
“Consequent upon that, we scheduled our own meeting today to discuss and articulate our positions.
“This is to enable us not only engage the presidential team but also engage our people over all burning issues,” he said.
The governor said leaders from the region had noted with concern threats against the Igbo people by some groups in other regions.
“The meeting pleaded with leaders of other regions to note such threats to our people, address it and protect our people,” he said.
He said that governors from the South-East had assured people from other ethnic nationalities of their safety in the region in spite of the prevailing circumstances.
The leaders condemned the killing of security personnel and burning of government infrastructure in the region.
He called on National Assembly members from the region to support the creation of state police in the ongoing efforts to amend the constitution.
The governor said the meeting endorsed the South-East joint security unit called EbubeAgu, and requested the personnel to work with statutory security agencies.
Those present at the meeting included Okezie Ikpeazu of Abia and Ifeanyi Ugwuanyi of Enugu.
Anambra and Imo states were represented by the deputy governors, Nkem Okeke and Placid Njoku respectively.
Others were the Senate Minority Leader, Enyinnaya Abaribe; Minister of Labour and Productivity, Chris Ngige; Minister of State for Mines and Steel Development, Uche Ogah, and President General of Ohaneze Ndigbo, George Obiozo.

Continue Reading

Trending