Connect with us

Ict/Telecom

Stakeholders Protest NYSC On-line Registration

Published

on

As the authorities of the
National Youth Service Corps (NYSC) continued to insist on online registration we, parents and prospective corps members have called on the Federal Government to prevail on the authority and cancel the exercise.
Some parents and prospective corps members, who spoke with The Tide  in Port Harcourt, Tuesday said the online registration exercise was too sudden and should be revisited.
They admitted its speedy process, but suggested 2017 as to enable more awareness for the programme.
According to a parent, Mr Chidi Igwe, the exercise was for the good of the students or corps members, but the timing was wrong.
He explained that anything that has to do with digital should be approached with care to avoid any form of mistake.
Igwe maintained that the NYSC e-mobilisation was for the best interest of parents in order to enable them monitor  mobilization list, which he said that some prospective corps members have been using to defraud their parent.
Another respondent, and a would-be corps member, Chisa Amadi said the N4000 fee was too exorbitant, that N500 can serve the purpose.
She said since the aim was not to raise fund for the federal government and its agencies, the fee should be pocket – friendly.
Amadi, further explained that N4000 per corps members, could generate billions of naira for the government, wondering why jobless students would be taxed that hard.
Others, also called for the total scrapping of the NYSC online programme, adding that the exercise was fraudently designed.
They have threatened to demonstrate against the Federal Government should it allow the NYSC authorities to continue with the exercise without reducing the fee.
It would be recalled that the Batch “C’ of the NYSC was badly affected last year, due to the late announcement of the N4000 and the online registration by the NYSC authorities.

Permanent Secretary, Ministry of Information and Communications, Rivers State, Mrs Cordelia M. Peterside (left) chatting with Chairman Editorial Board, Rivers State Newspaper Corporation, Chief Dagogo Clinton (right) during the opening ceremony of a three day capacity buidling for decoder installers organised by Rivers State Ministry of Information and Communications recently. Photo: Egberi A. Sampson

Permanent Secretary, Ministry of Information and Communications, Rivers State, Mrs Cordelia M. Peterside (left) chatting with Chairman Editorial Board, Rivers State Newspaper Corporation, Chief Dagogo Clinton (right) during the opening ceremony of a three day capacity buidling for decoder installers organised by Rivers State Ministry of Information and Communications recently. Photo: Egberi A. Sampson

Continue Reading

Ict/Telecom

Electronic Results Transfer: Only Media Can Save Nigerians – Onuesoke

Published

on

A chieftain of the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) and former Delta State governorship aspirant, Chief Sunny Onuesoke, has appealed to Nigerians and the media to sustain the pressure on the members of the Senate, Federal Government and Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC) on the merit of application of electoral transmission of voter’s result in 2023 polls.
Onuesoke’s appeal is coming on the heels of rejection of electronic transmission of voters’ results by Senators elected under the platform of the All Progressives Congress (APC).
Reacting to the rejection while addressing journalists in Asaba, Delta State, he disclosed that with the rejection of elec­tronic transformation of votes, it is duty of vocal Nigerians and the media as the Fourth Es­tate that can rescue the helpless masses by crying out loudly to the world the oppression of the Senators against those who vot­ed them into office.
He alleged that the action of APC Senators was an assault on the sensibilities of Nigerians, who looked up to the Senate for improvement in our electoral process in a manner that would engender free, fair and credible process.
Onuesoke explained that the Senators claim that NCC had declared that only 43 per cent of the country was currently under effective telecommunications coverage is false as evidence abound that GSM phones are used in all the remote villages of Nigeria.

Continue Reading

Ict/Telecom

Community Woos Telecoms Over Mast Erection

Published

on

The people of Ipo Community in Ikwerre Local Government Area have called on telecommunication companies in Nigeria to consider the need to erect communication mast in the area.
The Ipo Council of Chiefs Chairman, Chief Samuel Amadi made the call at a public function in the community recently.
Amadi said the call was unavoidable in that network provision in the area has become very poor.
He pointed out that as an Airport community, they deserve the best network provision as to enable it attain its international status.
According to him, the presence of mast in the area will also boost the business growth in the community.
He expressed regrets that the community could be lacking in such area even in this 21st century.
Though, was not particular about any network provider, but said that the community, would appreciate any of the telecommunication companies that came to their rescue.
He maintained that receiving and making calls in the community over the years has been a herculean task and wondered why the trend should continue.
“Lack of mast has been a challenge in our community. We can not make or receive calls with ease. Such a thing should not happen in this modern world” , he said.
The community leader, also blamed part of its plights on the nonchalant attitude of the Airport authority towards them as a host community.
“We have not benefited anything from the Airport authority. Even employment, they ignore us, while our graduates roam the streets in search of employment”, he said.
The Tide, however, gathered that the possibility of erecting telecommunication mast in Ipo is slim, due to its closeness to the International Airport, as mast are believed by experts to be a challenge to flight operations.

By: King Onunwor

Continue Reading

Ict/Telecom

Reps Fail To Consider Two-Year SIM Swap Probe Report

Published

on

The House of Representatives last Friday failed to consider the report by its Ad Hoc Committee on the Increasing Incidents of SIM Swap Fraud, which was mandated to carry out the investigation two years ago.
The report of the committee was listed for consideration on Thursday and Friday but was stepped down for the passage of the Petroleum Industry Bill and the Electoral Act 2010 (Amendment) Bill 2020.
The National Assembly has now proceeded on a two-month annual recess.
The House had on July 25, 2019 resolved to investigate the alleged Subscriber Identification Module swap by service providers in the telecommunication and banking sectors, following the adoption of a motion moved by Mr Ifeanyichukwu Ibezi, titled ‘Increasing incidents of SIM swap fraud’.
The lawmakers had unanimously resolved to set up an ad hoc committee to conduct an investigative hearing on the ‘increasingly emerging trend of SIM swap fraud, with a view to determining ways that banks and telecommunications operators can collaborate in devising measures to combat the menace’.
In its recommendation, the panel, said, “Banks should be urged to stop using SMS as a primary method of communication; they should rather use encrypted messaging apps that are not as prone to snooping as SMS.”
It also recommended that the NCC and Central Bank of Nigeria ‘be urged to ensure that all monies lost as a result of card/ATM and web-based frauds are refunded to the affected subscribers/customers’.

Continue Reading

Trending