Connect with us

Nation

THE STATES

Published

on

Ekiti

Governor  Kayode Fayemi of Ekiti State has barred all elected and appointed officials in the state from campaigning for his second term in office.

Fayemi gave the order in Ado Ekiti on Wednesday at the special sitting of the state House of Assembly while reacting to the vote of confidence passed on his administration by the house.

He called on them to forget about 2014 for now and join hands with him in tackling the various developmental problems confronting the state.

Fayemi, who rejoiced with the assembly, urged the law makers to continue to embrace constructive engagements in dealing with him and forget about campaigning for him for a second term.

“By the vote of confidence you unanimously passed on me today, you have placed a big burden on my shoulder because we have a lot of work to do for our people now. “However, let us limit the encouragement you are giving me to the level of vote of confidence and forget about second term or 2014.’’

 

FCT

The Director of Assets Declaration, Code of Conduct Bureau, Alhaji Sani Mohammed,  has said that civil servants can declare just their bank accounts in the absence of any tangible assets.

Mohammed, who gave the clarification in Abuja on Thursday in Abuja, said assets must not be tangible and big before they could be declared.

He said that some civil servant often complained that they did not know what to declare since they did not own houses, cars or any other assets that they could declare as assets.

The director described asset declaration, as one of the mandatory duties of civil/public servants contained in the 1999 Constitution of the Federal Republic of Nigeria.

“Every public officer shall, within three months after taking office, declare his assets and any officer that fails to comply with this provision of the constitution will be deemed to have violated laws of the land.”

 

Kaduna

The Chairman, Senate Committee on Transport, Sen. Sahabi Ya’u, says the Nigerian Institute of Transport Technology (NITT) is a path for Nigeria to meet global transport challenges.

He made this known on Wednesday to newsmen after inspecting facilities at the NITT in Zaria, Kaduna State.

Ya’u said the institute had all it takes to transform the nation’s transport system, noting that the Senate would revisit its enabling law for the good of Nigerians and Africans.

“So far so good, the institute is doing very well. All the same, we want to review its law in such a way that NITT can compete favourably with world class transport institutes.”

The lawmaker lauded the contributions of the institute toward ensuring a virile and standard transport system in Nigeria.

The NITT Director-General, Alhaji Aminu Musa-Yusuf, had said that without transportation nothing meaningful could be achieved.

 

Kebbi

Some Political parties in Kebbi on Wednesday criticised the new fees and guidelines issued by KebbiState Independent Electoral Commission (KSIEC), for the forthcoming local government polls in the state. The KSIEC had announced September 15, 2012 as date for fresh council elections.

The state Chairman of Labour Party (LP), Alhaji UsmanDan-Gwari, said that the non refundable fees of N150, 000 for nomination forms for the chairmanship position was too much. He said that the N50, 000 fees for the positions of councillors was not acceptable to the party.

Leader of the African Democratic Congress (ADC), observed that women had not been given any special attention in the guidelines.

The state Chairman of Alliance Democracy (AD), Hajiya Hauwa’u Mohammed, Alhaji Boi Isa, called on the commission to provide alternative for voters who had lost their voters cards to enable them cast their votes.

 

Jigawa

The Jigawa Commissioner for Education Prof. Haruna Wakili,  says the State Government will establish sick bays in all the boarding schools across the state.

Wakili said in Dutse on Wednesday that all the sick bays would be equipped and manned by qualified health personnel.

“The sick bays will be established in all the 43 boarding schools we have, where the sick students will be treated,’’ he said.

He said the State Government had approved the school health policy for the well being of its students.

Wakili explained that henceforth any new student admitted into any of the schools in the state would be examined medically to ascertain the health condition of such student.

“The medical tests will enable us to know the history of the student as it is done in tertiary institutions.”

 

Nasarawa

Governor Umaru Al-makura of Nasarawa State last Thursday naugurated a seven- member commission of enquiry to ascertain the immediate and remote causes of last week’s violent crisis in the state.

Represented by the Deputy Governor, Dameshi Luka, Al-makura, described as “shocking’’ the hostilities between the Eggon and Alago tribes in the area, which left many dead and property worth millions of naira destroyed.

The governor said that appropriate legal instruments were executed in setting up the commission and gave it 30 days to complete its assignment and submit a report to government.

Responding, the Chairman of the Commission, Justice Isah Ramalan (rtd), assured the state government that the members would carry out their assignment diligently, without fear or favour.

He called for the support of the people of the state, especially the affected communities, to facilitate their assignment, aimed at bringing a lasting solution to the incessant crisis in the state.

 

Osun

The Action Congress of Nigeria (ACN) in Osun has described the death of Oba Oladele Olashore, the Owaloko of Iloko-Ijesha as “the end of an era.”

This is contained in a condolence message jointly signed by the party’s chairman, Chief Adelowo Adebiyi and Publicity Secretary, Prof. Moses Awogbade, on Wednesday in Osogbo.

The duo in the statement made available to newsmen said the passage of the traditional ruler was a monumental loss to the state and the country at large.

The ACN chieftains described the late Olashore as one of the nation’s patriots during his life time, adding that his contributions to the country’s financial sector were immense.

“Olashore who until his death was one of the greatest patriots in Nigeria served as a Minister of Finance meritoriously and built a niche for himself in the finance sector.”

 

Oyo

Governor Abiola Ajimobi of Oyo State has warned the new caretaker executive of the NURTW in the state against acts of violence and brigandage in the state.

Ajimobi gave the warning on Wednesday when the executive members led by Alhaji Taofik Oyerinde visited his office in Ibadan.

The governor said all acts capable of breaching public peace in the state would be seriously dealt with.

He, however, vowed that government would make the state conducive for every peace loving member of the union to go about his business.

Responding, Oyerinde commended the governor for lifting the ban placed on the union’s activities in the state.

Oyerinde assured government that his members would give necessary support to the restoration programme of the state government by conducting itself peacefully at all times.

 

Plateau

A Senior Advocate of Nigeria (SAN), Mr Garba Pwul,  has asked the Plateau Government to “immediately” conduct elections into the local government councils.

“Governor Jonah Jang must move immediately to democratise the 17 local governments by conducting council polls without further delay,” Pwul said in Jos on Wednesday.

Noting that appointing administrators to head the councils was illegal, he asked the governor to end such illegality as there was no place for Transition Chairman in the Nigerian Constitution.

The Plateau State government on January 18 appointed transition chairmen for the 17 Local Governments after dissolving the elected council chairmen, whose tenure had expired.

Pwul said that the governor should not have dissolved the former council chairmen without conducting a fresh council election and argued that with the Plateau Independent Electoral Commission (PLASIEC) in place, there was no need for government to delay the conduct of the polls.

 

Sokoto

Chairman, Wamakko Local Government Council of Sokoto State, Alhaji Mohammad Kalambaina, said that the council spent about N2.5 million in the renovation of 30 houses in its staff quarters.

Kalambaina told newsmen in Sokoto on Wednesday that the project was aimed at maintaining the building structures for optimal use.

He said the administration would continue to accord priority to the welfare of its workers to ensure high productivity.

The chairman called on the workers to reciprocate the gesture by excelling in the discharge of their primary assignments.

Kalambaina called on the people to always live in peace with one another to enable the council provide social amenities for them.

Continue Reading

Nation

Of 1,561 Candidates, 880 Graduate From Law School-DG

Published

on

The Nigerian Law School says out of the 1, 561 candidates who sat for the December examination, 880 passed.
The Director-General of the School, Prof. Isa Ciroma, SAN, made this known yesterday in Abuja, while presenting the new wigs to the Body of Benchers at the 2020 Call to the Bar ceremony.
“Four others were from previous Bar examination,’’ he said, adding that the new wigs had met all the required and set conditions by the Council of Legal Education.
“I am happy to affirm that they all have exhibited good manners and decorum during their training.
“They have also been groomed in the best ethics and ethos of our noble profession.
“The screening committee of our distinguished body carefully perused the records of each of the aspirants and found them worthy to be presented for the Call to the Nigerian Bar.’’
Ciroma said that the school had begun a special remedial course for students from the National Open University of Nigeria (NOUN).
“The programme began on June 28, at the Nigerian Law School Headquarters, Bwari, Abuja. We thank all distinguished members of the Body of Benchers, for their support,’’ he said.
The Chairman, Body of Benchers, Justice Olabode Rhodes-Vivour, congratulated the new wigs and charged them to adhere to the provision of rules regarding the profession at all times.
“As a lawyer, you are an officer of the court and accordingly, you are not to do any act or conduct yourselves in a manner that will obstruct or adversely affect the course of justice.
“The practice of Law is not a right but a privilege. It is a privilege that can be lost should you fail to live up to the requisite professional standards imposed upon you by virtue of your entry into the community of lawyers.
“You must, therefore, strictly adhere to the provisions of the Rules of the Professional Conduct and maintain best practices at all times.’’
He stressed that the Body of Benchers Legal Practitioners Disciplinary Committee was always determined to discipline any lawyer found wanting or breaching set rules of the profession.
Rhodes-Vivour said that the committee had been carrying out its mandate “in a just and fair manner’’ without giving any room for compromise or ill-will.
He said that between January and July, the committee disbarred six lawyers and suspended some for between two and four years, while one lawyer was admonished during the period.
Rhodes-Vivour advised the graduates to continue to update their knowledge on both statute and case law in order to attain more understanding on especially, international jurisdictions.
In 2020, the Council of Legal Education said that out of a total of 2,515 students who participated in the examinations, 1,864 passed the Bar Final Examinations conducted in January.
The director-general who described the performance as outstanding, said that among the 1, 864 students who were successful, only five made First Class while 632 others failed the examinations.
“Candidates graded in First Class are five, Second Class Upper 77, Second Class Lower are 633, those who got pass marks are 1,067 and those with Conditional Pass are 82.
“632 candidates failed the examination, 17 were absent and 2 results are withheld.”
Chiroma further explained that only 0.2 per cent made First Class, 3.06 per cent made Second Class Upper, 25.17 per cent made Second Class Lower and 42.42 per cent passed.
He said other performances include a 3.26 per cent for those with conditional pass, 25.12 per cent failed the examinations, 0.7 per cent were absent and 0.8 per cent results are being withheld.

Continue Reading

Nation

NGO Trains 300 Returning Migrants On Business Development

Published

on

Web of Heart Foundation, a Non-Governmental Organisation, says it has trained and empowered more than 300 returning migrants, youths and internally displaced persons on job creation.
Its Executive Director, Mrs Bose Aggrey, made the declaration yesterday in Lagos at the graduation of its “Create and Start Module’’ trainees.
The graduating trainees were awarded certificates and given grants facilitated by some investors and soft loans from banks after six months of training to identify and analyse business ideas and opportunities.
“We taught them how to articulate their business ideas into plans; introduced them to investors and equally assisted them to get bank loans.
“It is an opportunity for the participants to put themselves together either to get employed or to become employers,’’ she said.
“We introduced investors to the participants when they were pitching and some of them are already getting grants.
“We are working with two banks so they can provide soft loans at low interest rates for the participants,’’ she added.
In his remarks, Mr Peik Bruhns, Team Leader of the firm of consultants that conducted the training, said the company had reached out to train 5,000 Nigerians on Micro, Small and Medium scale Enterprises in six months
He said this was done in collaboration with nine organisations, including Web of Heart Foundation.
“I will like to stress the importance of working with returnee migrants because Web of Heart Foundation focuses on assisting them to reintegrate into society.

Continue Reading

Nation

Zamfara Police Refute Kidnap Of 60 Passengers Rumour

Published

on

The Zamfara State Police Command has refuted a story that 60 passengers travelling along Sokoto – Gusau road on Sunday, July 25, were kidnapped by bandits.
The state Police Public Relations Officer, Mohammed Shehu, in a statement, yesterday, said the story was inaccurate and a calculated attempt by some mischief makers to create fear and apprehension into the minds of the general public, especially the commuters.
“The attention of Zamfara State Police Command has been drawn to a story trending on social and conventional media that armed bandits blocked Sokoto – Gusau Road, and abducted 60 people travelling from Sokoto to Abuja.”
The statement said, “For the avoidance of doubt and purpose of clarity, the command was informed that a large number of armed bandits blocked a Toyota bus vehicle, belonging to the Sokoto State Mass Transit and abducted 11 passengers who were travelling from Sokoto – Abuja along Sokoto – the accurate report of the incident. On Sunday, July 25, 2021, Gusau Road in Bakura LGA.”
According to the statement, the Police Tactical operatives attached to Operation Restore Peace were alerted, and they quickly mobilized to the location and dislodged the hoodlums who blocked many vehicles for abduction, adding that the road was instantly cleared for motorists and other road users and reinforced more police operatives to improve the security and safety of the commuters.
The statement noted that in the course of mopping up the scene, a Toyota bus vehicle belonging to Sokoto State Mass Transit was sighted empty and it was revealed that 11 passengers, including the driver were abducted and taken to the bush before the arrival of the police.
It said the operatives further embarked on search and rescue operation in the surrounding bush with a view to rescuing the kidnapped victims, stressing that two persons who were left far behind with other hoodlums were abandoned by their captors for fear of being neutralised by the Police operatives, the remaining nine victims were taken to the forest.

Continue Reading

Trending